ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics

Old 16th September 2013, 10:17 PM   #2481
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Don't worry, these are just name changes. Abbott isn't about to reduce the size of government anytime soon. No politician would.
Old 16th September 2013, 11:00 PM   #2482
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Don't worry, these are just name changes. Abbott isn't about to reduce the size of government anytime soon. No politician would.
They're name changes, yes, but they're also changes to the way in which these issues are addressed by the Government. If there's no Minister for Multicultural Affairs will be wrapped up into other portfolios, which means that there will no longer be a direct emphasis on this issue.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2013, 02:06 AM   #2483
icerat
Philosopher

May 17, 2013 - Abbott pledges 'no nasty surprises, no lame excuses'

September 18, 2013 -Coalition sources blame Cathy McGowan for lack of women in cabinet

I guess that was a non-core pledge ...
Old 19th September 2013, 05:22 AM   #2484
icerat
Philosopher

More portfolio details out, and ... uhh ... Abbott takes over responsibility for women's issues
Old 19th September 2013, 05:34 AM   #2485
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
More portfolio details out, and ... uhh ... Abbott takes over responsibility for women's issues

It's the Christian way, isn't it?

I wonder if the knobheads have yet started to realize what they've done.

In brighter news:

Rob Mitchell still in front in McEwen

By TARA MURRAY and ANGELA VALENTE
Sept. 19, 2013, 11 a.m.
Incumbent Labor MP Rob Mitchell continues to lead in the battle for McEwen, the last Victorian seat in the federal Parliament yet to be declared by the Australian Electoral Commission.

After losing the lead last week, Mr Mitchell's lead over the Liberal's Donna Petrovich has steadily increased each day since he took the front position on Sunday.

Mr Mitchell is in front by 312 votes on a two-party preferred basis with 92.22 per cent of the vote counted.

It is still not clear when counting will be completed.

According to the AEC website, there are still 4791 votes to be counted.
Sunbury and Macedon Ranges Weekly

At least some of us voted properly.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2013, 05:54 AM   #2486
Wildy
Adelaidean

I voted properly, and it helped get Nick Xenophon get re-elected.

Do you guys think Clive Palmer will go really really insane if he loses in Fairfax?
Old 19th September 2013, 04:27 PM   #2487
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
Here I was thinking he had no sense of humor
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2013, 04:59 PM   #2488
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post

Do you guys think Clive Palmer will go really really insane if he loses in Fairfax?
Nah. The last thing Palmer wants to do is to spend time in Canberra. In fact, I reckon that he wouldn't attend parliament at all and will end up getting expelled.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2013, 05:44 PM   #2489
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Do you think we need a new thread now that the elections are over?
Something like. The Abbott Reign, something like that.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2013, 06:09 PM   #2490
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
Do you think we need a new thread now that the elections are over?
Something like. The Abbott Reign, something like that.
I was thinking of starting a thread titled, "The Aftermath of Australia's 2013 Election" once the final election results were in but that could take weeks yet.
Old 21st September 2013, 01:56 AM   #2491
atecom
Critical Thinker

http://www.theglobalmail.org/feature...-lawsuits/700/

Some Abbott Fans seem to think this is a devilishly clever move as it supports the removal of regulations under the guise of increasing international cooperation.

If this goes ahead, I wonder if there is anything to stop me from going to America, starting a company where I get paid to dispose of nuclear waste and pay Tony's neighbours to store it in their yard?
atecom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 08:19 PM   #2492
Wildy
Adelaidean

Jacqui Lambe has won the last Senate seat in Tasmania.

That means PUP will have at least two senators. It's quite possible that they'll win another one in WA.

Last edited by Wildy; 24th September 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 10:08 PM   #2493
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ah well. I was holding out for Robbie Swan. Shame.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2013, 11:51 PM   #2494
alex04
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
This thread was a pretty hilarious read.
It was a pretty hilarious election, as long as you don't live in Australia. It's pretty embarrassing living in a country where people bought into a bunch of three word bogan slogans.

Chris Pyne as education minister, I don't think I could fit enough laughing dogs here for that..
alex04 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2013, 07:44 PM   #2495
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

For those who might have missed it, there's a new thread now that the election is over:

Australian Politics--The Abbott Years

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics