ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th January 2019, 04:33 PM   #481
MEequalsIxR
Scholar

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
But Pluto isn't a planet

This is one of the cooler things on the interwebs: http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/...larsystem.html

The Solar System scaled to the moon being 1 pixel.
It is quite cool thanks for the link!
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:55 PM   #482
attempt5001
Thinker

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
This is called "digital arithmetic," in case you didn't know.
that's terrible!
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 07:56 PM   #483
Venom
Graduate Poster

I dunno if nutrient profiling counts as scientific fact, but watercress is the most nutrient-dense vegetable.

My spinach only came in fifth place, which I had predicted to be in the top 3.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 08:58 PM   #484
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by attempt5001 View Post
that's terrible!

Thank you. I was hoping someone would ... put their finger on it.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:02 PM   #485
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I dunno if nutrient profiling counts as scientific fact, but watercress is the most nutrient-dense vegetable.

That's better than my collards at 10th
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 10:38 PM   #486
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Furthermore, there are sign languages that encode specific spoken languages, and there are also dialects in sign languages within countries.

Many people think sign language is just having different signs for different words and signing them in order just like you would speak them
This could not be further from the truth.
Sign languages have evolved their own unique grammar that is much richer than spoken language because they can convey more information. How or where in relation to your body something is signed as well as mouthing are some aspects.

Sign language reveals the hidden logical structure, and limitations, of spoken language

According to the Wikipedia page the grammar of American Sign Language is the best studied of any sign language, although research is still in it's infancy. Just have a quick look through the Wiki page, it's more complex than you would have imagined and quite different from spoken language.

Believe it or not.

Last edited by Cheetah; 16th January 2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: digital arithmetic...
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 11:11 PM   #487
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

As a longtime spider enthusiast, that is fascinating.
What I also find fascinating, and worthy of great respect, is the perseverance and dedication of the people who take the trouble to find out all this. There used to be a weekly series of programmes on BBC Radio 4 (almost certainly archived somewhere) where a reporter would spend time with an expert on a particular bird or insect, and however rare the subject, there was someone who knew just about everything there was to know about it.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #488
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
The nearest planet to earth is Mercury.

I've just realised (cos I'm slow) - Does this means that Mercury is the nearest planet to all of the others?
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #489
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM   #490
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Body mass of mammalian carnivores is limited to about a ton.
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Thatís interesting, but what stops them from evolving more robust bones?
That can happen, but we can see in herbivores that the robustness sacrifices speed, and they're apparently saying speed is more important for predators so predators wouldn't evolve to get too slow. (The abstract talks about skeletal stress from running; you can manage the stress by just not moving so fast and not even being designed to move fast, but then you abandon a speed-dependent lifestyle.)

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
There will be diminishing returns but Iím not seeing a specific cutoff.
I haven't read the paper, but the interpretation in the abstract makes it sound like they plotted their data into a graph and saw a slope that gets really steep at one end in a way that wouldn't be anticipated and just had to be seen from actually plotting the data.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #491
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
That can happen, but we can see in herbivores that the robustness sacrifices speed, and they're apparently saying speed is more important for predators so predators wouldn't evolve to get too slow. (The abstract talks about skeletal stress from running; you can manage the stress by just not moving so fast and not even being designed to move fast, but then you abandon a speed-dependent lifestyle.)

<snip>

This made me think about a small tortoise we kept in the kids' terrarium for a while.

Although quite content to thrive on lettuce and similar foodstuffs, tortoises are omnivorous and quite ferocious hunters. While it stayed in the terrarium we learned that nothing else which moved was going to survive long. Lizards, crawdads, etc., it didn't matter. Sooner or later the tortoise would catch it.

Snapping turtles are the bane of fish ponds, rapidly killing off all the small fish stock and ultimately eliminating the fish population. I've known farmers who would pay local kids to shoot the snappers in their fish ponds so that they could keep them stocked with fish.

So speed may not just be the ability to run fast. It also matters when and where the speed happens. The length of a tortoise neck is a kill zone.

Last edited by quadraginta; Yesterday at 10:26 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #492
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The compound eyes of trilobites were made up of calcite crystals.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #493
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The compound eyes of trilobites were made up of calcite crystals.
We have a trilobite, but the whole thing is made of stone!
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #494
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
We have a trilobite, but the whole thing is made of stone!
That's probably a statue carved by the trilobite civilization.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #495
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
So speed may not just be the ability to run fast. It also matters when and where the speed happens. The length of a tortoise neck is a kill zone.
That's sort of an ambush hunting strategy. And it can work well for reptiles in part because their low metabolism means they don't need that much food, so they can be patient when waiting for prey to come near. Mammals need more food because of their higher metabolism. In addition, there's a scaling problem: your strike zone scales with the square of your linear size, but your mass scales with the cube, making an ambush strategy harder for larger animals. I think these factors make such a strategy unworkable for really large mammals, they wouldn't be able to get enough to eat.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #496
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Speaking of speed.
There is a new fastest movement. Yes, it is a vampire, we know how fast they are.
The Dracula ant snaps it's jaws like you would snap your fingers. The mandibles aren't sharp, but look like little clubs with which they stun their prey.

Snap-jaw morphology is specialized for high-speed power amplification in the Dracula ant, Mystrium camillae.

"Kinematic analysis of high-speed video revealed that snap-jaw ant mandibles complete their strike in as little as 23 Ķsec and reach peak velocities of 90 m s−1, making them the fastest known animal appendage."
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #497
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Speaking of speed.
There is a new fastest movement. Yes, it is a vampire, we know how fast they are.
The Dracula ant snaps it's jaws like you would snap your fingers. The mandibles aren't sharp, but look like little clubs with which they stun their prey.

Snap-jaw morphology is specialized for high-speed power amplification in the Dracula ant, Mystrium camillae.

"Kinematic analysis of high-speed video revealed that snap-jaw ant mandibles complete their strike in as little as 23 Ķsec and reach peak velocities of 90 m s−1, making them the fastest known animal appendage."
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #498
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Speaking of speed.

Put that up against the pistol shrimp's claw snap and it's more than three times as fast!

Wow.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:03 AM   #499
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
That's probably a statue carved by the trilobite civilization.
According to Ancient Arthropod theorists, at any rate. There's a series on the History channel, full of convincing evidence.
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #500
dasmiller

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
According to Ancient Arthropod theorists, at any rate. There's a series on the History channel, full of convincing evidence.
"Trilobites. Primitive crablike animals with tiny brains, now long gone. They were unsophisticated creatures, mindlessly crawling around on the ancient sea as evolution passed them by.
Or were they?
Could the trilobites have actually been much more intelligent than scientists had ever thought possible? Could they have used tools, formed societies, perhaps even had a complex civilization? Rather than going extinct, could the trilobites have actually left the Earth on spaceships to escape an impending catastrophe?
Is it just a coincidence that we have the constellations Scorpio and Cancer, or do humans retain some instinctive memory of arthropods going to the sky?
This week, on Carapace of the Gods, we explore shocking new evidence that may change everything we ever thought about our distant trilobite cousins."
<cue dramatic music>

Last edited by dasmiller; Today at 07:31 AM.
dasmiller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:44 AM   #501
Venom
Graduate Poster

Old Today, 07:47 AM   #502
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

This week, on Carapace of the Gods
I would totally watch that show.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #503
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
"Trilobites. Primitive crablike animals with tiny brains, now long gone. They were unsophisticated creatures, mindlessly crawling around on the ancient sea as evolution passed them by.
Or were they?
Could the trilobites have actually been much more intelligent than scientists had ever thought possible? Could they have used tools, formed societies, perhaps even had a complex civilization? Rather than going extinct, could the trilobites have actually left the Earth on spaceships to escape an impending catastrophe?
Is it just a coincidence that we have the constellations Scorpio and Cancer, or do humans retain some instinctive memory of arthropods going to the sky?
This week, on Carapace of the Gods, we explore shocking new evidence that may change everything we ever thought about our distant trilobite cousins."
<cue dramatic music>

You forgot the part about the trilobites' secret connection with the Knights Templar.
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #504
dasmiller

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
You forgot the part about the trilobites' secret connection with the Knights Templar.
"Throughout human history, the number 3 has had an outsized importance: The Holy Trinity, three branches of government, even three dimensions.
Why does humanity have such a fascination with the number three?
Could it be that our history has been shaped by a creature that was built around the number three? Perhaps even . . . three lobes?

For millions of years, the world was dominated by an ancient creature that was built on a three-lobed body plan. Science says that the trilobites were gone long before human civilization arose, but can we be sure?

Was the Knights' armor just a crude imitation of the trilobites' shell?
Why are horseshoes considered to bring good luck? Could it be because the horseshoe crab is the closest living relative of the trilobites?
Does the children's song 'Three Is A Magic Number' have a deeper significance than we ever thought possible?

Tonight, on Arthropods In Collision, we'll explore shocking new evidence that suggests that perhaps human civilization didn't rise on its own, but was helped along by ancient chitinous forebears."

<cue more dramatic music>

(The production company folded after making Arthropods In Collision so there won't be any more in the series, hopefully ending a derail)
Old Today, 09:19 AM   #505
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I've just realised (cos I'm slow) - Does this means that Mercury is the nearest planet to all of the others?
I rather doubt it since, actually right now Venus is the closest planet to Earth. Not sure where he got that information from. In fact Mars is also just a bit closer at the moment than Mercury. Mercury is sometimes closer however.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/planets/distance (click "Distance from the Earth")
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:22 AM   #506
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Another interesting but little known fact. Trilobites have two distinct stages to their life cycle, the juvenile stage is carbon based and then slowly transitions to the super intelligent silicon based adult.

They are still alive...
Old Today, 09:24 AM   #507
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I rather doubt it since, actually right now Venus is the closest planet to Earth. Not sure where he got that information from. In fact Mars is also just a bit closer at the moment than Mercury. Mercury is sometimes closer however.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/planets/distance (click "Distance from the Earth")
Mercury is more often closer to Earth than Venus in terms of distance.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; Today at 09:26 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:38 AM   #508
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Mercury is more often closer to Earth than Venus in terms of distance.
But without qualification saying: Mercury is the closest planet to Earth is not precisely true. Since right now, its 3rd closest.

Anyways I finally found the info what I was looking for on wiki for Mercury:

Mercury is on average the closest planet to the Earth: it is closest to Earth 46% of the time; Venus is closest 36% of the time, while Mars is closest just 18% of the time.

So not even a majority of the time is it closest, but it holds a plurality.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #509
3point14
Pi

You need to go back and read the initial exchange. the discussion was about the nearest planet to earth on average.
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #510
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Lol nevermind.

Last edited by lobosrul5; Today at 09:57 AM.
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #511
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

You spend your free time predicting the relative nutrient densities of vegetables?
Old Today, 10:13 AM   #512
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

A disturbingly large number of my favourite scientific facts come from XKCD. For example, that Tyrannosaurus Rex is more closely related to the sparrow than to the stegosaurus.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:33 AM   #513
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
A disturbingly large number of my favourite scientific facts come from XKCD. For example, that Tyrannosaurus Rex is more closely related to the sparrow than to the stegosaurus.

Dave
That makes me wonder if humans aren't also more closely related to T. Rex. IIRC mammals were near the split that lead to the bird branch.

ETA: After a quick google: Probably not but not completely sure. Looks like mammals branched off before any dinosaurs had come along, but still it looks like a close branch to the mammals.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; Today at 10:43 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:42 AM   #514
dasmiller

Okay, time for something more fact-based from me.

I was sitting in a bar in Las Vegas and tried to imagine what the galaxy would look like if it was scaled to be about the size of Las Vegas. If you scale by 1 LY => 1 foot or 1 Parsec => 1 Meter (they're within 1%. Who knew?!), the resulting model would be about the size of a large city, 19 miles or 30 km across.

For those of us out in the 'burbs, the disk would be about 100 stories thick (300 meters, 1000 feet). In the spiral arms, you'd have (on average) 4 stars in a typical bedroom, and a typical star would be small enough that you could fit thousands of them in a typical bacteria, or hundreds of thousands in a red blood cell.

Our solar system, out to Neptune's orbit, would be about the size of a dust mite so if the solar system was a solid thing, it would barely be visible.

A very, very large star like Betelgeuse would 20 microns across, which is about the diameter of the very finest human hair. Betelgeuse would be 64 feet or about 20 meters from the far-too-small-to-see sun, so Betelgeuse isn't just in our galactic neighborhood, it's over there by the slot machines.

The sun would be orbiting around downtown Las Vegas at a blistering 0.2 millimeters per year.

If all the stars were packed into one place, they'd probably* fit in a ping-pong ball and would weigh much less.

The Andromeda galaxy would be just outside Denver.

*The few stars like Betelgeuse are so big that they dominate the volume calculation despite their rarity, and since I don't have a good size distribution for them, I'm not sure on the ping-pong-ball thing. I'm almost certain they'd fit in a tennis ball.
Old Today, 12:36 PM   #515
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Okay, time for something more fact-based from me.

I was sitting in a bar in Las Vegas and tried to imagine what the galaxy would look like if it was scaled to be about the size of Las Vegas. If you scale by 1 LY => 1 foot or 1 Parsec => 1 Meter (they're within 1%. Who knew?!), the resulting model would be about the size of a large city, 19 miles or 30 km across.

For those of us out in the 'burbs, the disk would be about 100 stories thick (300 meters, 1000 feet). In the spiral arms, you'd have (on average) 4 stars in a typical bedroom, and a typical star would be small enough that you could fit thousands of them in a typical bacteria, or hundreds of thousands in a red blood cell.

Our solar system, out to Neptune's orbit, would be about the size of a dust mite so if the solar system was a solid thing, it would barely be visible.

A very, very large star like Betelgeuse would 20 microns across, which is about the diameter of the very finest human hair. Betelgeuse would be 64 feet or about 20 meters from the far-too-small-to-see sun, so Betelgeuse isn't just in our galactic neighborhood, it's over there by the slot machines.

The sun would be orbiting around downtown Las Vegas at a blistering 0.2 millimeters per year.

If all the stars were packed into one place, they'd probably* fit in a ping-pong ball and would weigh much less.

The Andromeda galaxy would be just outside Denver.

*The few stars like Betelgeuse are so big that they dominate the volume calculation despite their rarity, and since I don't have a good size distribution for them, I'm not sure on the ping-pong-ball thing. I'm almost certain they'd fit in a tennis ball.
Just FYI, I'm stealing this and emailing it to friends
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology