ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th May 2019, 10:14 AM   #121
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
She said: “He wielded his power with women in f—ed up ways, sometimes to the point where they left comedy entirely."

She knew.
Yes, I agree. She knew. We knew too. Did she know before us, or at the same time?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 10:32 AM   #122
plague311
Great minds think...

This thread is an absolute hoot.

Things that almost made me cry laughing:
1) People who post here that don't think stand-up routines aren't based on real life
2) People who were shocked when it came out (I watched CK's stand-up more than once, when the news revealed it was honestly a "no kidding" moment).
3) Thinking CK Louis wasn't a complete pervert based off of both his TV show (which shows multiple instances of him being sexually aggressive, including the very actions he describes in his stand-up and reflects the behavior in the accusations), and his stand-up routines.

He's garbage. Funny, but garbage. It's the same way people separate Michael Jackson's music from his actions. You can appreciate the comedy all while thinking the comedian is absolute garbage. I do it all the time.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 10th May 2019 at 10:36 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 10:40 AM   #123
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

1) People who post here that don't think stand-up routines aren't based on real life
Aren't you one of those? It's a bit difficult to parse with all the negatives, but it sounds like you're saying you can tell what kind of person a comedian is from his comedy routine.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 10:56 AM   #124
Cain
Straussian

I'm not making excuses for anyone or anything. What Silverman tolerated is in fact pertinent to the situation. In the quote offered Silverman said:

“He wielded his power with women in f—ed up ways, sometimes to the point where they left comedy entirely,”

So she was a party to it and did nothing.

As for what Louis CK did, I don't really care. He was given consent by adults who knew what the consequences would be. They made a choice to watch him masturbate to further their career and they furthered their career.
I believe there was at least once instance he asked someone who worked for a show to come into his office and watch him masturbate (she did). There was another case where he was on a show and asked an actress if she'd watch him (she said no). I'd make a distinction between those events and working on the road with other comics. If he was paying someone to be an opening act and made the indecent request, then it would be wrong, but if it's just some other comic it's not a problem.
Old 10th May 2019, 11:38 AM   #125
Bob001
Philosopher

She said: “He wielded his power with women in f—ed up ways, sometimes to the point where they left comedy entirely."

She knew.

So what? How does her failure to step up mitigate his sleazy misconduct?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 12:11 PM   #126
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Aren't you one of those? It's a bit difficult to parse with all the negatives, but it sounds like you're saying you can tell what kind of person a comedian is from his comedy routine.
I apologize, I don't word good sometimes.

You can tell exactly who a person is by their comedy routine. It's a compilation of things they've experienced, or thought of that they find to be hilarious. They also think other people will find it hilarious because they do.

If they didn't think it was funny, they wouldn't tell it.

ETA: That's why I think it's odd people don't think that's who CK is as a person.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 10th May 2019 at 12:12 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:06 PM   #127
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

You can tell exactly who a person is by their comedy routine. It's a compilation of things they've experienced, or thought of that they find to be hilarious. They also think other people will find it hilarious because they do.

ETA: That's why I think it's odd people don't think that's who CK is as a person.
Well then, use your psychic powers and give us a run down on all the other comedians and not just the one available "I told you so!"
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:43 PM   #128
dirtywick
Graduate Poster

Tom Green is actually into banging dead moose.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 02:28 AM   #129
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Tom Green is actually into banging dead moose.
And Don Rickles hated everybody.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 11th May 2019 at 02:38 AM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 03:01 AM   #130
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

2) People who were shocked when it came out (I watched CK's stand-up more than once, when the news revealed it was honestly a "no kidding" moment).
3) Thinking CK Louis wasn't a complete pervert based off of both his TV show (which shows multiple instances of him being sexually aggressive, including the very actions he describes in his stand-up and reflects the behavior in the accusations), and his stand-up routines.

He's garbage. Funny, but garbage. It's the same way people separate Michael Jackson's music from his actions. You can appreciate the comedy all while thinking the comedian is absolute garbage. I do it all the time.
I saw his routine about pedophilia when he hosted SNL. After that, I was surprised that the allegations against him weren't worse.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:27 AM   #131
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
And Don Rickles hated everybody.
Seinfeld brought up the point in one of his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee episodes that all comedians hate people. It was talked about in The Green Room as well with all comedians agreeing.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:31 AM   #132
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I saw his routine about pedophilia when he hosted SNL. After that, I was surprised that the allegations against him weren't worse.
Paedophilia was had a running spot in early Saturday Nite Live years. I suppose they should arrest, and execute, the comic who played Uncle Pervy.
Old 11th May 2019, 08:37 AM   #133
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

That's generally true, but you also can't take it too literally. Comedians actually use a combination of:

* Stuff that's been going through their minds
* Stuff they were told and which they then tweaked to be made into a joke
* Stuff that actually happened to them in real life, and they're describing exactly as it went
* Stuff that actually happened to them in real life, but that they tweaked and changed/modified/exaggerated for comedic purposes (So that what you're hearing is a mixture of things that happened and things that didn't. Things the comedian does believe in real life, and things they don't)
* Stuff that didn't happen to them in real life, and that has nothing to do with their personality and does not reflect at all what they are and would do in real life. In other words: A complete fabrication, strictly for comedic purposes.
*Everything else and everything in between

I think a great part of the reason why some people take comedy too seriously is that they immediately assume that everything the comedian says is an absolute reflection of who they are and what they think. Therefore, they take their comedy "seriously", the way you would take any statement made by a non comedian. But no one can tell how much of what a comedian says is part of their ideology and how much is stuff made up only for comedic purposes. So it's really pointless and silly to try to draw a conclusion about who the person is based on jokes they are telling.

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Ron_Tomkins; 11th May 2019 at 08:39 AM.
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:46 AM   #134
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Paedophilia was had a running spot in early Saturday Nite Live years. I suppose they should arrest, and execute, the comic who played Uncle Pervy.
Buck Henry.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 12:52 PM   #135
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Seinfeld brought up the point in one of his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee episodes that all comedians hate people. It was talked about in The Green Room as well with all comedians agreeing.
Which was a joke.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:06 PM   #136
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Which was a joke.
Yeah, no.
Old 13th May 2019, 09:13 PM   #137
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Yeah, no.
Everybody claimed that Don Rickles was the sweetest, nicest guy off stage. My own personal experience although limited was proof of that. After he zinged me and my wife because we happened to be sitting front row centre - he had somebody send a bottle of champagne to our room with a nice note saying "Thanks for laughing. But remember your wife and I are still having the last laugh. All the best, Don".

The same thing was said about Bob Newhart. Sweet and charming.
Either Seinfeld was joking or he was wrong with his claim. Or, most likely, it was said for effect by a group of people who were trying to hype themselves as something special and different from regular folks.

Last edited by rockinkt; 13th May 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 17th May 2019, 07:37 AM   #138
angrysoba
Philosophile

Rogan and another comic talk about this issue:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The TL;DR is pretty much the same thing I was saying, that these types of shows are about working out new material that gets ruined when made public.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 08:19 AM   #139
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Everybody claimed that Don Rickles was the sweetest, nicest guy off stage. My own personal experience although limited was proof of that. After he zinged me and my wife because we happened to be sitting front row centre - he had somebody send a bottle of champagne to our room with a nice note saying "Thanks for laughing. But remember your wife and I are still having the last laugh. All the best, Don".

The same thing was said about Bob Newhart. Sweet and charming.
Either Seinfeld was joking or he was wrong with his claim. Or, most likely, it was said for effect by a group of people who were trying to hype themselves as something special and different from regular folks.
Or perhaps Don Rickles was sending you champagne for effect. Perhaps he just wanted to make sure you didn't bear a grudge, at being used as the butt of a joke. It's the kind of easy gesture an entertainer could assign to their assistant - or even just the hotel concierge - with a minimum of thought and effort on his part. And no need at all to expose any true feeling he might harbor. It's not like he brought the champagne up himself, sat down, shook his hair out, and spent some time letting you get to know the real Don Rickles.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 04:45 PM   #140
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This wasn't "Canteen Boy". He took the whole thing to a whole different level.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 07:01 AM   #141
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This wasn't "Canteen Boy". He took the whole thing to a whole different level.
Louis CK takes everything to a whole different level. That 10 minute SNL bit got him the rating of the funniest host since the glory days of SNL so he obviously knows his stuff when it comes to comedy, especially when judging by the audience reaction in the Youtube video.
Old 22nd May 2019, 07:13 AM   #142
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Rogan and another comic talk about this issue:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The TL;DR is pretty much the same thing I was saying, that these types of shows are about working out new material that gets ruined when made public.
LoL I didn't know people thought Rogan was a comic. That's like David Hasselhoff being a "talent judge". Rogan is a **** comic. I'll have to watch the video later.

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
I think a great part of the reason why some people take comedy too seriously is that they immediately assume that everything the comedian says is an absolute reflection of who they are and what they think. Therefore, they take their comedy "seriously", the way you would take any statement made by a non comedian. But no one can tell how much of what a comedian says is part of their ideology and how much is stuff made up only for comedic purposes. So it's really pointless and silly to try to draw a conclusion about who the person is based on jokes they are telling.
Most of the time it is, and in this case CK's on-stage behavior and thoughts were confirmed by real life accusations. They reflected not only what he had written and acted in his show, but in his comedy routine.

Again, you described multiple instances of a comedian making a joke. All of them involved the comedian taking an event that happened to them or someone else and plugging in their own take on it. That's what makes it reflect who they are. I think without realizing it you made my point.

CK is a ******* **** human that had a "shock comedy" act that ended up being verified by real life events. That's not to say he wasn't funny. I laughed more than once.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events