ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:08 PM   #41
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
No. He is in intensive care with head trauma and broken bones.
"Severe" head trauma is what is being reported in the local press here. The fall was about 40 feet onto hard stone tile.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:37 PM   #42
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
"Severe" head trauma is what is being reported in the local press here. The fall was about 40 feet onto hard stone tile.
Yes. It was reported that he was lying in a pool of blood and I suspect that may have been from a fractured skull.

More from Daily Mail: His mother was asked about his condition or status. She replied that she holds his hand and she feels he is surrounded by a warm aura and that they are awaiting tests. She attributed the aura to all of the prayers of well wishers.

I'm afraid that with her only description being an aura, it means that he is comatose or fully sedated.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:13 PM   #43
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I'm afraid that with her only description being an aura, it means that he is comatose or fully sedated.

I would be happy to be surprised if the child was not already brain dead.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 09:18 AM   #44
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
This begs the question, why was this nut allowed to roam free in the first place?
Because treatment costs money.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 09:23 AM   #45
catsmate
No longer the 1

Also it looks like misogyny may have been a factor in Aranda's attack.
According to the Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, Aranda was driven by rage over being rejected by women.

Aranda told police he had come to the mall on Thursday intending to kill an adult, but that it did not “work out,” according to the complaint. He returned Friday and chose the boy instead. He told police he knew what he was planning to do was wrong. Aranda said he had been coming to the mall for years, tried to speak to women there and they rejected him. That made him lash out and act aggressively.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 09:29 AM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Because treatment costs money.
And also because you don't have an answer to the questions of who would stop him from roaming around, and on what grounds.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 04:38 PM   #47
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
There are some weird right-wing talking points being injected into this thread.
Happens a lot here I have noticed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 11:36 PM   #48
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Um, why? There's no evidence of a racial motivation. Why should we believe an unevidenced assertion?

Maybe it's true that a white adult and a black child would be seen immediately as a race crime. That doesn't mean the such an assumption is correct. It's wrong until evidence shows otherwise.

You're saying: Since some people might make an illogical assumption in one case, we're required to always make illogical assumptions in all cases.

And that's just illogical.
But there is evidence of a racial motivation. In fact, there is not just evidence, but conclusive proof of a racial motivation. One person was black and the other person was white.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 11:43 PM   #49
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Both really. Its near impossible to get the mentally ill treated if they don't want it, and they often don't.

There were to things that lead to the US effectively abandoning the mentally ill. A long series of abuses in mental health facilities and a lack of desire to pay for treatment.
The problem isn't mental illness. It's importing huge numbers of low-IQ Africans into a part of the world where they don't belong and letting them roam the streets.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 11:59 PM   #50
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Better asked of the ACLU.

If we could warehouse the whackos, we wouldn't have the homeless problems in our west coast cities.
Yeah, because **** treating people with mental health issues unless they can pay. The ACLU is one the few things slowing the slide to authoritarian **** hole.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 22nd April 2019 at 12:01 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:13 AM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
But there is evidence of a racial motivation. In fact, there is not just evidence, but conclusive proof of a racial motivation. One person was black and the other person was white.
No.

Not every interaction between people of different races is racially motivated.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:15 AM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The problem isn't mental illness. It's importing huge numbers of low-IQ Africans into a part of the world where they don't belong and letting them roam the streets.
This is disgusting crap.
Old 22nd April 2019, 07:26 AM   #53
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Holy ****.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:52 AM   #54
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

5-Year-Old Boy Thrown from Mall of America Balcony 'Showing Real Signs of Recovery'

https://people.com/crime/boy-thrown-...s-of-recovery/
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:14 AM   #55
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
5-Year-Old Boy Thrown from Mall of America Balcony 'Showing Real Signs of Recovery'

https://people.com/crime/boy-thrown-...s-of-recovery/
I suspect that those real signs of recovery are not signs of recovery to the state he was. And whilst I know faith often gives people comfort could they at least have thanked the medical professionals that have actually kept him alive?
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:15 AM   #56
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I suspect that those real signs of recovery are not signs of recovery to the state he was.
I'm... hopeful but skeptical. It seems to be the same family member (the one running the GoFundMe) that all the information is coming from.

I'm sorry having a real hard time on a pure intellectual level even wrapping my head around the kid surviving the fall, much less making anything that could be called a full recovery.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:34 AM   #57
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I have no idea, but I get a little hope from the fact that both surface area over mass and the cross sectional area of one's bones over mass go up as height goes down.

A kid surviving a fall like that is actually more plausible than an adult. To what extent this should lead to some hope that it's not as bad as we'd intuitively guess based on both the height and the hardness of the surface he landed on, I'm not going to guess, but there's a little hope to be found there.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:52 PM   #58
Bogative
Graduate Poster

That's true. It's something I learned from every thread I have read here at the ISF that discusses a police shooting which involves a black person.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 09:58 PM   #59
dann
Philosopher

What are you talking about? Threads discussing black policemen shooting white citizens? I don't remember seeing any of those.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 10:56 PM   #60
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It's in Court as we speak.

Beautiful blonde Australian, gunned down by a black policeman.

(Because he was scared when she approached his car in her pyjamas).
Old 25th April 2019, 05:46 PM   #61
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

The good new is, this kind of reasoning means your reasoning can't be taken seriously. For this to be conclusive proof it would have to mean that all crimes involving two races would have to be racially motivated. That's pretty ridiculous claim that I'm sure you can't support with evidence. Also demonstrating this kind of fallacious reasoning will undermine anything you might have to say about IQ.

This guy was born in Chicago according to reports I've read. And not a single opinion you've expressed here is supported by any evidence or even bad reasoning. For the moment, I'll assume you arrived at these unsupported opinions by applying the same faulty reasoning you used above and just ignore them.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:32 PM   #62
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
It's in Court as we speak.

Beautiful blonde Australian, gunned down by a black policeman.*

(Because he was scared when she approached his car in her pyjamas).
Not a black policeman--a low-IQ African brought to a part of the world where he doesn't belong and allowed to roam the streets with a gun and a badge.
Old 26th April 2019, 11:04 AM   #63
dann
Philosopher

That sounds interesting. Could you tell us how you happen to know his IQ?
The sympathetic reaction to Justine Damond’s death shows the relentless power of race in America. (Vox, July 24, 2017)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 26th April 2019 at 11:07 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 02:20 PM   #64
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reports now saying that the family says the boy is alert and conscious and no longer in critical condition.
Old 26th April 2019, 03:05 PM   #65
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This is disgusting crap.
Agreed.

I was kind of avoiding this thread because stories of kids getting hurt aren't fun to read. But hey, now I've got another reason to avoid it.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 03:38 PM   #66
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Reports now saying that the family says the boy is alert and conscious and no longer in critical condition.
Amazing. Really do hope he hasn't suffered long term extensive brain damage.
Old 27th April 2019, 10:07 AM   #67
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Warehousing them OR treating them.

You've gone right to the crux of the problem. It wasn't the ACLU that put mentally ill people on the streets with little or no treatment alternatives.

It was GOP pols looking for budget cuts to fund their Welfare For The Wealthy programs.
This, always.

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 09:41 AM   #68
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Agreed.

I was kind of avoiding this thread because stories of kids getting hurt aren't fun to read. But hey, now I've got another reason to avoid it.
The Board's On Call Racist Response Team somehow made discussion of a child being thrown 40 feet off a balcony even less pleasant.
Old 28th April 2019, 09:35 PM   #69
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Also it looks like misogyny may have been a factor in Aranda's attack.
According to the Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, Aranda was driven by rage over being rejected by women.

Aranda told police he had come to the mall on Thursday intending to kill an adult, but that it did not “work out,” according to the complaint. He returned Friday and chose the boy instead. He told police he knew what he was planning to do was wrong. Aranda said he had been coming to the mall for years, tried to speak to women there and they rejected him. That made him lash out and act aggressively.
Not the women's fault or responsibility. nut case is nut case.

Wash this space!

Old 28th April 2019, 09:41 PM   #70
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

clearly you are unaware that IQ is not determined by race or county of origin. It is determined by your genetics.

Are you, by chance, under the impression that intelligence/IQ is determined by your skin color and where you were born? If this is the case there are some assumptions I can certainly make concerning you. And certain of your factors.

Wash this space!

Last edited by fuelair; 28th April 2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 14th May 2019, 01:04 PM   #71
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The tosser has pleaded guilty.

Originally Posted by CNN
Emmanuel Aranda, 24, struck a plea bargain to avoid trial, said Chuck Laszewski, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office. The office intends to seek the maximum punishment for attempted first-degree murder, which is 19 years in prison, he said. Sentencing is set for June 3.

The family has some things to say. They seem to be as one with the Lord...

Originally Posted by CNN
The boy's family gave the plea deal its blessing, Chuck Laszewski (a spokesman for the prosecutor's office) said.

"We were happy with this," he said. "Even if we would have gone to trial, proven the case, the most he would have gotten would have been 12 months more."...

"All praise, glory and honor to Jesus! He saved our son's life and is healing him in the most miraculous ways," the family statement said. "The road to recovery remains long, but with God and you, we are assured to make it through."...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/14/us/ma...lea/index.html

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events