ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th May 2019, 04:57 PM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Arrest made after elderly man pushed off bus to his death

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/us/la...rnd/index.html

Quote:
(CNN) - An elderly man was pushed off a Las Vegas bus and died several weeks later due to injuries he sustained. Police announced Tuesday a woman was arrested in the case and being held on a charge of murder of an elderly-vulnerable person.

On March 21, Serge Fournier, 74, was riding on a bus with Cadesha Bishop, 25. Bishop appeared to argue with people on the bus and with Fournier, police said in a statement.

When the vehicle came to a stop to allow passengers off, Fournier and Bishop had some sort of verbal argument. As Fournier turned his back to walk down the stairs to exit, Bishop is seen in surveillance video pushing him, causing him to fall onto the sidewalk below.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Whip
Graduate Poster

holy crap that's brutal
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:12 PM   #3
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

"... murder of an elderly-vulnerable person." ????

Had he been younger and less vulnerable, what would the charge have been?

Had it been me that was pushed, and I had survived the fall, I would be facing charges of beating the crap out of a young a-hole...

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 15th May 2019 at 06:14 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:21 PM   #4
mgidm86
Philosopher

Tragic but pretty unremarkable, at least I have no remarks I'd like to make regarding it.

Why the thread?

Love the music in the video though, CNN, it really helps.
Old 15th May 2019, 06:56 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post

Many US laws provide more severe penalties for "aggravated" commission of the crime in question, when the commission is especially heinous in some way. I expect "murder of an elderly-vulnerable person" is a reference to a specific passage in law that provides for tougher sentencing in the case of especially heinous murders.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 08:58 PM   #6
Shadowdweller
Muse

nm

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 15th May 2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: poor reading comprehension
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Assault and Battery
It's obvious you're not understanding what's being said.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Probably just murder (I'm guessing second-degree) or maybe voluntary manslaughter.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 08:05 AM   #9
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Had it been me that was pushed, and I had survived the fall, I would be facing charges of beating the crap out of a young a-hole...
"Hey if he hadn't died when I shot him, I wouldn't be charged with murder!"

Of course pushing is always at least assault. Though likely there wouldn't be much motivation to pursue such charges.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 10:14 AM   #10
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Nobody deserves to be killed over a transient argument on a bus.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 10:52 AM   #11
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Nobody deserves to be killed over a transient argument on a bus.
You can be killed just for living.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 10:53 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
You can be killed just for living.
In fact, being alive is a requirement to become a murder victim.
Old 16th May 2019, 11:08 AM   #13
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
In fact, being alive is a requirement to become a murder victim.
I'm not joking or trying to be flippant.

When discussions like this pop up, I think of an incident in S.F. where a guy on MUNI light rail was standing up, fooling around with a Glock pistol.

Nobody was paying attention, reading their phones, whatever.

Passenger gets off bus, guy follows, shoots the guy DRT.

I don't even have the words to describe just how ****** up this world is.

ETA:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/09/...ate-sophomore/

ETA:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...state-student/

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus

Last edited by BStrong; 16th May 2019 at 11:17 AM.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 08:31 PM   #14
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Impossible. The air would have pushed back.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 09:42 PM   #15
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Edited by kmortis:  Removed response to previously moderated content

Quote:
"Tragic but pretty unremarkable, at least I have no remarks I'd like to make regarding it.

Why the thread?"
We live in a very large world where (hundreds of) thousands of people die every day, many of whom are the victims of assault. While I find attacks on the elderly particularly disgusting (which is why I opened the thread in the first place), I can understand the sentiment that this is just a strange outlier incident that doesn't offer much insight about anything in particular and as such may not lead to much in the way of useful discussion.

I don't exactly agree with that sentiment, but again it doesn't strike me as a sign of any lacking of empathy.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov

Last edited by kmortis; 20th May 2019 at 07:59 AM.
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 09:31 AM   #16
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

This thread about a murder is suddenly turned quite gloomy.
Old 17th May 2019, 02:25 PM   #17
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
This thread about a murder is suddenly turned quite gloomy.
certainly seems to have one foot in the grave
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 07:10 PM   #18
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The OP needs to acquire better marketing skills. The expected free-for-all didn't happen because the title should have read:

Riding Public Transportation While Being a White Senior Citizen

C'mon folks, you're letting us down. Black woman pushes elderly white man off of bus and he died! Surely there's something in there about homogeneity or public education or childless europeans that we can latch onto.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 12:23 AM   #19
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The OP needs to acquire better marketing skills. The expected free-for-all didn't happen because the title should have read:

C'mon folks, you're letting us down. Black woman pushes elderly white man off of bus and he died! Surely there's something in there about homogeneity or public education or childless europeans that we can latch onto.
Well played sir!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 04:20 AM   #20
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

What an insensitive thread
Old 19th May 2019, 05:06 AM   #21
Ron Obvious
Student

The elephant in the room here is that we almost certainly would have seen headlines along those lines had the races been reversed and internet outrage would have ensued.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 06:19 AM   #22
IsThisTheLife
Scholar

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Cadesha Bishop really chimped-out there, didn't she?
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 08:49 AM   #23
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
The elephant in the room here is that we almost certainly would have seen headlines along those lines had the races been reversed and internet outrage would have ensued.
Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
That's the spirit, guys! Keep it up!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 09:09 AM   #24
Thermal
Philosopher

Can a brother get a 'Murdering While Black' for the thread title?

Sheesh, gotta do everything for you bums.
Old 19th May 2019, 09:15 AM   #25
Ron Obvious
Student

That's the spirit, guys! Keep it up!
You're seriously wanting to disagree with what I just said? Why do all those relatively trivial LWB stories produce so much internet outrage, while this story passes almost completely below the radar? Same with that poor kid flung off the balcony in Minnesota. As soon as the perpetrator and victim identities were revealed and failed to match the preferred narrative, interest virtually disappeared.

But I see you've already managed to ascribe racist motives to me with your simplistic snarky one-liner.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 06:33 AM   #26
IsThisTheLife
Scholar

All you liberal pearl-clutchers might want to do a little research on testosterone levels in women by race and the associated/relative predispositions to violence. It's real simple. What this woman did is shocking but not actually surprising or particularly unusual - if the poor guy hadn't died from his injuries and Bishop arrested for killing him, it probably wouldn't have made the news, even though his remaining years would almost certainly have been utterly blighted as a consequence of her mindless attack.

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 20th May 2019 at 06:34 AM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 06:50 AM   #27
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

All you liberal pearl-clutchers might want to do a little research on testosterone levels in women by race and the associated/relative predispositions to violence. It's real simple. What this woman did is shocking but not actually surprising or particularly unusual - if the poor guy hadn't died from his injuries and Bishop arrested for killing him, it probably wouldn't have made the news, even though his remaining years would almost certainly have been utterly blighted as a consequence of her mindless attack.
Vitiman D..... as a non-pearl clutcher. Just sayin'

Last edited by bluesjnr; 20th May 2019 at 07:21 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 06:56 AM   #28
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

All you liberal pearl-clutchers might want to do a little research on testosterone levels in women by race and the associated/relative predispositions to violence. It's real simple.
I simply cannot hold my anticipation at the respectable, non-biased source you will surely provide for this.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 07:12 AM   #29
IsThisTheLife
Scholar

I simply cannot hold my anticipation at the respectable, non-biased source you will surely provide for this.
Biased, shmiased. Like I said - real simple. Use your choice of google-fu syntax (not that I recommend google) and there's a cornucopia of info awaiting you.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:16 AM   #30
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The real lesson here is that public transportation is an invitation to death.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:21 AM   #31
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Biased, shmiased. Like I said - real simple. Use your choice of google-fu syntax (not that I recommend google) and there's a cornucopia of info awaiting you.
Good thing there's no misinformation and outright fabrications on the internet.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:23 AM   #32
Thermal
Philosopher

Forum decorum requires the claimant to provide the proof of questionable claims. 'You find it' is considered a dodge. Just an fyi hommes.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:25 AM   #33
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"No I'm not racist. My hatred for black people is totally backed by facts!"
"Can I... see those facts?"*
*Beat*
"No!"

Yeah you're gonna fit in just fine here.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:44 AM   #34
IsThisTheLife
Scholar

"No I'm not racist. My hatred for black people is totally backed by facts!"
"Can I... see those facts?"*
*Beat*
"No!"

Yeah you're gonna fit in just fine here.
Yeh, it's my hatred for black people that prevents me from expecting to find that it was a woman of some/any other race (white, latino, asian, et al) that perpetrated this attack.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:51 AM   #35
IsThisTheLife
Scholar

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Forum decorum requires the claimant to provide the proof of questionable claims. 'You find it' is considered a dodge. Just an fyi hommes.
I'm well aware of the futility of providing cites on this forum. They're arbitrarily accepted as gospel or dismissed as biased as it suits, and the tail-chasing continues ad nauseum.
Old 20th May 2019, 08:58 AM   #36
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I also have to wonder why there is a thread for this, other than just to point of the pointlessness and cruelty of this death.

Based on the articles I've seen, the woman was generally argumentative to several passengers and the deceased made a comment to the effect of "be nice". This already agitated woman took this innocuous comment as incitement to shove the man out the door, which resulted in injuries the senior eventually died from a month later.

It's tragic to see such senselessness resulting from the uncontrolled, petty aggression. Some articles also claim that the woman's young son was also present and witnessed his own mother commit murder of a vulnerable senior. All around heartbreaking.

But there's really not much to discuss here. Trash person engages in thoughtless action, goes to jail. No controversy here, just tragedy. (excluding the racist baggage that always comes along with such stories).

Reminds me of a much less funny version of Dave Chappelle's skit "When keeping it real goes wrong"

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th May 2019 at 08:59 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 11:34 AM   #37
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Mostly because there would also have been a horde of people rushing to explain about how the old b lack guy somehow "deserved" to be pushed, and the whole thing was just an accident, blah blah blah. Possibly complete with police to explain how, against all evidence, she was merely defending herself from a vicious attack from the old man.

Evidence? See any thread on Trayvon Martin, Philando Castile, Eric Garner, Freddie Grey, the residents of Ferguson MO, the wannabe Nazi that killed Heather Heyer, the guys that beat DeAndre Harris half to death, every black person who has police called to harass them for no reason, John Crawford III, and Jordan Davis. And that's off the top of my head.

If you don't want to be seen as a racist, don't say brazenly racist things.

Really, it's incredible how many people on this board fail to understand that using slurs like "chimp out", using century-old stereotypes created specifically to justify racial murders, and the like, will get you seen as a racist.

Makes it real easy to identify y'all, though.

Don't bother replying directly - white supremacists like you get one explanation post from me, the end.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 11:58 AM   #38
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Based on the articles I've seen, the woman was generally argumentative to several passengers and the deceased made a comment to the effect of "be nice". This already agitated woman took this innocuous comment as incitement to shove the man out the door, which resulted in injuries the senior eventually died from a month later.

It's tragic to see such senselessness resulting from the uncontrolled, petty aggression. Some articles also claim that the woman's young son was also present and witnessed his own mother commit murder of a vulnerable senior. All around heartbreaking.
Ugh. And the kid may or may not even understand why his mom is being sent away. I have no clue what her problem was that day, but I can't argue against her being put under the jail. A person who respects neither her elders, nor her own child is just...well, you said it, trash.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 01:40 AM   #39
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I'm well aware of the futility of providing cites on this forum. They're arbitrarily accepted as gospel or dismissed as biased as it suits, and the tail-chasing continues ad nauseum.
You not only refused to site a source for your claim, you didn't even have the balls to actually make the claim in the first place. You just relied on insinuation. If you think you have something to say that can stand up to scrutiny, say it. If you think your source for that claim is actually correct, cite it. If people don't accept your valid source, that's on them, not you, but if you won't even cite it, I suggest it's because you don't actually have such a source.

Similarly you rely on insinuation instead of being straight about your claims because you know you can't actually back up what you are trying to say.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events