ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand incidents , transgender incidents , transgender issues

Old 14th May 2019, 07:56 PM   #1961
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Remember that their policy of eugenics was also popular in the US, and it was even illegal at one time to badmouth the Nazis.
Where? Who was prosecuted?
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:00 PM   #1962
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Remember that their policy of eugenics was also popular in the US,
This is a distortion of the history of eugenics. It wasn't their policy. Eugenics isn't a Nazi policy that was exported to the US, it's an idea that began in England.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:24 PM   #1963
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Does that still work?
Are you saying black women are actually biologically male?
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:36 PM   #1964
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Good intro to the topic, but treating gender as a metaphysical problem doesn't really help solve anything. The host / moderator doesn't take very seriously the notion that biological sex (what some of the interviewees call assignment) may well be an important factor in discrimination.

ETA: Rolfe won't at all enjoy the conclusion.
Yeah, if there's one thing that annoys me about the trans rights movement, it's not transgender people themselves, but all the confusing Newspeak that they've introduced to the language. There was one woman in particular in part two who kept saying "female-assigned persons" and "male-coded genitalia".

He sort of weighs in with his own views at the very end of part 2, but his argument seems to be that young people like the students at his college are all on the side of trans-inclusivity whereas all the trans-exclusionists are over 40. It's a kind of argument by authority, where youth grants authority. (He doesn't explicitly say these people are right because they're young, it's just sort of hanging there in the air, unspoken; but I felt like it was implied.) Also he doesn't consider the possibility that there might be young people who hold such views, but are afraid to say them out loud in the current college environment where expression of such views isn't tolerated.
Old 15th May 2019, 12:22 AM   #1965
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I heard about this on the podcast I linked to earlier:

Get The L Out
Quote:
Who We Are

Get the L Out is a group of lesbian and feminist individuals and organisations, opposing the increasingly anti-lesbian and misogynistic LGBT movement and the erasure of lesbians

Why We Protest

We believe that lesbian rights are under attack by the trans movement and we encourage lesbians everywhere to leave the LGBT and form their own independent movement, as well as to be vocal and take action against the proposed changes to the GRA.
(I believe GRA stands for Gender Recognition Act 2004WP.)

It gets even weirder after that and I'd like to quote more of it, but I'll refrain out of respect for forum rules.

If if were to summarize it, it's that they think young lesbians are being encouraged to think of themselves as men and lesbians are being coerced into having heterosexual sex and so on.
Old 15th May 2019, 01:04 AM   #1966
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Let's say someone self-identifies as a different gender than their biological sex, and goes to a professional (doctor, psychologist, whatever). Are there any professionals who are going to say, no, your self-identification is wrong? On what grounds would they make such a diagnosis?

Because it seems to me like that wouldn't happen, that there aren't really accepted grounds for a medical professional to reject a self-ID. It seems to me like getting a medical diagnosis is a mere formality, and even if one professional did refuse to confirm a self-diagnosis, you could find another who wouldn't.

The (proposed - depending on where you live) new legislation doesn't even require seeing a doctor. You just sign a form, and you're believed.

In Canada I believe you have to get a doctor to sign something but as that journalist woman who became a man despite doing nothing at all but tuck her hair into a baseball cap said, "well she'll have to sign it won't she or else she's a massive bigot." And so it was.
Old 15th May 2019, 04:24 AM   #1967
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I can't ever recall a female playing male in any restrooms in my life.
I did mention that when I was quite a bit younger and frequented certain noisy bars or clubs it would be relatively common for women to use the men's loos, when the length of wait for the women's became long enough to offset any aversion to doing this (people respond to incentives, it is annoying how long some women take in the loo and how unequal the capability-adjusted provision of service often is but c'est la vie). Always in twos or threes not singly. I've done it myself.

As far as I know, none of us were self-identifying as male, and I don't think anyone wanted to prey on men or cop a gawk at their bits and if it wasn't for the alcohol I am sure it would be less common and may have raised objections. In "classier" establishments effort was made to avoid this practice by hiring bathroom attendants to pass you a towel, squirt some soap, spray some cologne etc.

I don't know if it happens these days.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:25 AM   #1968
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Bathroom attendant? Sounds like a first world problem to me. To me a "fancy" restaurant is one where they come to your table to take your order.
Old 15th May 2019, 05:56 AM   #1969
8enotto
Muse

I have seen women commandeer an empty men's room at public events to avoid the lines. Also a particularly crazy bar it seemed to be sport to use the other's restroom.

What I have not seen is any female dressed and identifies as male in any restroom.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:57 AM   #1970
Belz...
Fiend God

And yet, even in this thread there is sentiment that trans is very recent and wasn't observed before this generation.
If you mean dysphoria, it certainly is as old as humanity. But the distinction between gender and sex is rather recent.

And why are we talking about Nazis now?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:05 AM   #1971
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
What I have not seen is any female dressed and identifies as male in any restroom.
How would you know unless you clocked them as female?

https://twitter.com/eastonnquesnel/s...87436128460800
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:13 AM   #1972
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Let's say someone self-identifies as a different gender than their biological sex, and goes to a professional (doctor, psychologist, whatever). Are there any professionals who are going to say, no, your self-identification is wrong? On what grounds would they make such a diagnosis?
I am not a doctor so I can't tell you about what grounds there are for making or not making a diagnosis specifically but I can tell you that ANY professional worth their salt would not make a diagnosis that they did not believe was true. Of course there are good doctors and bad doctors and some who would say A while others would say B.

One set of diagnostic criteria are listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender...oria#Diagnosis

If a doctor felt a patient did not meet these it would be their professional responsibility to say so.

Also to get a GRC is a process that involves persuading a panel and they are denied sometimes (I don't have the numbers to say how often)

Quote:
Because it seems to me like that wouldn't happen, that there aren't really accepted grounds for a medical professional to reject a self-ID. It seems to me like getting a medical diagnosis is a mere formality, and even if one professional did refuse to confirm a self-diagnosis, you could find another who wouldn't.
Which if true would make the switch to pure self-ID not worth people getting their pants in a twist about then, right?

It is certainly not the case that self-ID is extending a new set of rights that previously didn't exist with regards things like bathroom access.
Old 15th May 2019, 06:20 AM   #1973
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

How would you know unless you clocked them as female?

https://twitter.com/eastonnquesnel/s...87436128460800
Now this raises an interesting perspective for me.

Once you take this question beyond the abstract and metaphysical and into the real world, anyone who can "pass" can pass, regardless of objections. Do the objectors want guards at the door of every restroom to check the papers of each person who enters in case they are particularly good at impersonating the opposite sex? If not, will you personally challenge anyone who you think might not belong there? Who is to enforce the restroom laws?

Last edited by Puppycow; 15th May 2019 at 06:22 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:42 AM   #1974
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
... Do the objectors want guards at the door of every restroom to check the papers of each person who enters in case they are particularly good at impersonating the opposite sex?
Not the objectors in this thread, is the impression I've got.

The biggest objection Rolfe seems to have raised is that there is a prevailing attitude that no line can be drawn between people who are particularly good at impersonating the opposite sex, people who try to do so and people who pointedly make no attempt at all to try and simply declare they are the opposite sex.

The number of men may well be tiny who fantasize about having a female body and who also get a thrill from women's intimidation by their appearing in women-only spaces, yet if there cannot be any line drawn, then any objection to their behaviour is taken as an attack on all trans people.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:46 AM   #1975
d4m10n
Illuminator

Once you take this question beyond the abstract and metaphysical and into the real world, anyone who can "pass" can pass, regardless of objections. Do the objectors want guards at the door of every restroom to check the papers of each person who enters in case they are particularly good at impersonating the opposite sex? If not, will you personally challenge anyone who you think might not belong there? Who is to enforce the restroom laws?

This is basically what I was getting at back in 1780. We aren't generally going to check genitals or GRC papers, so people who pass as men or women are simply treated as such. What Rolfe & co. on about are the people who make essentially no effort to pass but demand access to sex-segregated spaces nonetheless, based on an unseen, unmeasurable, and perhaps ineffable subjective sense of gender identity.

My preferred solution to this problem would be to reconsider whether we should want to preserve sex- or gender- segregation in a world increasingly peopled by those who find themselves either transitioning between sexes or else purposefully queering the gender binary. Even so-called genderfree women must be mistaken for men on occasion, whenever they refuse to take on the external trappings of womanhood (long hair, dresses, lipstick, etc.).

tl;dr

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th May 2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 15th May 2019, 07:51 AM   #1976
8enotto
Muse

Some non binary folks are ambiguous naturally and others despite great cost and effort are way too obvious.
If it was a birth defect or a development issue I see no need to complicate their lives more. It won't be easy for them.
Why someone would deliberately mess up their life with changes that will bring prejudice and shut doors on life's opportunities is beyond me.

You don't see " bloke in a dress " secretary or waitresses. Few enough opportunities exist to get ahead so why willingly reduce your chances?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 07:52 AM   #1977
JihadJane
not a camel

My preferred solution to this problem would be to reconsider whether we should want to preserve sex- or gender- segregation in a world increasingly peopled by those who find themselves either transitioning between sexes or else purposefully queering the gender binary.
Find themselves?
Old 15th May 2019, 08:13 AM   #1978
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Find themselves?
...Screenshot_20190515-102042.jpg
Old 15th May 2019, 08:18 AM   #1979
JihadJane
not a camel

One has to take action to "transition".

To make grammatical sense you'd have to write "find themselves ...by transitioning..." It is debatable whether thousands of teenage girls are actually finding themselves by discovering that they are of the opposite sex. They may simply be having delusions.

In other news: One in three UK teenagers 'ashamed of their body'

Last edited by JihadJane; 15th May 2019 at 08:26 AM.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 08:21 AM   #1980
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

But to "find oneself" transitioning between sexes sounds odd. As if it's something that just happens to a person instead of a conscious intentional decision.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:31 AM   #1981
d4m10n
Illuminator

But to "find oneself" transitioning between sexes sounds odd. As if it's something that just happens to a person instead of a conscious intentional decision.
I've little idea what it feels like to experience body dysphoria, much less gender dysphoria, but I cannot imagine the (presumably rather unpleasant) experience is something people are intentionally choosing for themselves.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:40 AM   #1982
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I've little idea what it feels like to experience body dysphoria, much less gender dysphoria, but I cannot imagine the (presumably rather unpleasant) experience is something people are intentionally choosing for themselves.
True perhaps, but to transition involves lots of intentional decisions every day from what clothes to wear to what grooming practices to carry out to whether to visit a doctor and take hormones and get surgery and so on.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:59 AM   #1983
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

tl;dr

"Design the world." Now that's a phrase that smacks of hubris.

Hubris aside, it's also not quite right. The problem we're discussing isn't one of "world design". It's one of hearts and minds. Specifically, there are many women who do not wish their world to be co-opted into a design that accommodates transsexuals at the expense of their own accommodations. There is not likely to be any design that will accommodate their desire to have bathrooms and changing rooms that are closed to men regardless of those men's claimed self-identity.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 09:33 AM   #1984
d4m10n
Illuminator

...transition involves lots of intentional decisions every day from what clothes to wear to what grooming practices to carry out to whether to visit a doctor and take hormones and get surgery and so on.
These are decisions we make every day, which the exception of the highlighted bits. People who reject the imposition of gender as a binary can choose to groom and present in such a way as to cause some degree of confusion in the bathrooms, even if they have not yet been counseled by their doctor to undergo transitioning.

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th May 2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 15th May 2019, 02:04 PM   #1985
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
then any objection to their behaviour is taken as an attack on all trans people.
No, that's wrong. Objecting to inappropriate behaviour is perfectly fine. The problem arises when it BECOMES an attack on trans people by punishing them for the inappropriate behaviour of others.
Old 15th May 2019, 02:21 PM   #1986
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

My preferred solution to this problem would be to reconsider whether we should want to preserve sex- or gender- segregation in a world increasingly peopled by those who find themselves either transitioning between sexes or else purposefully queering the gender binary. Even so-called genderfree women must be mistaken for men on occasion, whenever they refuse to take on the external trappings of womanhood (long hair, dresses, lipstick, etc.).
We are quite a way off that but hopefully at some point people can acknowledge 'it's more complicated than that' on a number of issues including sex and gender and we can start working on solutions that can work for everyone rather than trying to cling on to old ways.
Old 15th May 2019, 02:44 PM   #1987
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
... Do the objectors want guards at the door of every restroom to check the papers of each person who enters in case they are particularly good at impersonating the opposite sex?
Not the objectors in this thread, is the impression I've got.

The biggest objection Rolfe seems to have raised is that there is a prevailing attitude that no line can be drawn between people who are particularly good at impersonating the opposite sex, people who try to do so and people who pointedly make no attempt at all to try and simply declare they are the opposite sex.

Rolfe's particular objection is to the idea of a law which sanctions someone simply declaring themselves to be trans, along with the fear that this will be abused by male sexual perverts who only want access to women's spaces.

It should be recalled that the model she subscribes to, formulated by Ray Blanchard, does not allow for the idea that there is even such a thing as MtoF transgenderism, that all men who feel such dysphoria fall into one of only two groups, homosexual males, or this invented paraphilia, "autogynephilia", which means a male who derives sexual arousal from imagining themselves to be female (AKA, perverts).

This boils down to, essentially, 'There are no transwomen, and thus no line to be drawn.'

She seems to give some grudging concession to the idea that full bottom surgery is enough to sufficiently disarm a male who is that intent on invading women's spaces to satisfy their paraphilia.

Quote:
The number of men may well be tiny who fantasize about having a female body and who also get a thrill from women's intimidation by their appearing in women-only spaces, yet if there cannot be any line drawn, then any objection to their behaviour is taken as an attack on all trans people.
This has nothing to do with being trans, and may even be a contraindication. And as you point out, it is a problem which is miniscule (to the degree that it exists at all).

We already have laws in place which would address such inappropriate behavior.

The actual problem is some natal women feeling intimidated. I'm not sure if there is is good short-term solution to this, but I suspect that advocating a viewpoint which basically demonizes transwomen as perverts isn't the best way to begin the search for one.
Old 15th May 2019, 04:14 PM   #1988
IsThisTheLife
Scholar

tl;dr

LoL - so much cringeworthiness on this forum.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 04:16 PM   #1989
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
LoL - so much cringeworthiness on this forum.
Emotional appeal is emotional.
Old 15th May 2019, 04:44 PM   #1990
Dani
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The (proposed - depending on where you live) new legislation doesn't even require seeing a doctor. You just sign a form, and you're believed.

In Canada I believe you have to get a doctor to sign something but as that journalist woman who became a man despite doing nothing at all but tuck her hair into a baseball cap said, "well she'll have to sign it won't she or else she's a massive bigot." And so it was.
Well, that's certainly problematic if gender has social and legal relevance. It looks like gender can de facto be solely based on a subjective claim with that example.
Dani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 04:48 PM   #1991
Belz...
Fiend God

Emotional appeal is emotional.
And the attached file wasn't an appeal to emotion? That's the whole point here.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 04:58 PM   #1992
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And the attached file wasn't an appeal to emotion? That's the whole point here.
It's a point of sorts, badly made.

I suppose we could say that minimizing cringeworthiness is a moral goal worth maximizing, but seriously?
Old 15th May 2019, 05:38 PM   #1993
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I am not a doctor so I can't tell you about what grounds there are for making or not making a diagnosis specifically but I can tell you that ANY professional worth their salt would not make a diagnosis that they did not believe was true.
That... doesn't really answer the question, if doctors are simply believing their patients.

Quote:
One set of diagnostic criteria are listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender...oria#Diagnosis

If a doctor felt a patient did not meet these it would be their professional responsibility to say so.
Sure, but everything on their looks like it comes from the patient's own diagnosis. For example, the APA criteria lists six items. Four of them are a "strong desire", one of them is a "strong conviction", all of which are obviously going to be self-reported by the patient. The only other one, "A significant incongruence between one's experienced or expressed gender and one's sexual characteristics", can be either observed in the case of "expressed gender" or self reported in terms of "experienced gender". In other words, every single criteria can be satisfied by simply taking the patient's word for it. It's essentially still self-diagnosis. How many doctors are going to refuse their patients, even if they're uncertain? That's going to get them labelled transphobic, which could ruin their careers. In general, they may not take that risk, and I can't actually blame them in today's environment.

Quote:
Also to get a GRC is a process that involves persuading a panel and they are denied sometimes (I don't have the numbers to say how often)
Doesn't apply in the US, nor do I expect they do much screening.

Quote:
Which if true would make the switch to pure self-ID not worth people getting their pants in a twist about then, right?
That... doesn't help. At all. Yes, if the whole thing was a farce to begin with, and it's still a farce after a switch, then the switch didn't cause the farce. But it's still a farce.

But it's worse than that, because pure self-identification CAN introduce new problems. GRC's are supposed to be permanent. True pure self-identification allows switching on a whim.

Quote:
It is certainly not the case that self-ID is extending a new set of rights that previously didn't exist with regards things like bathroom access.
Yes, actually it does, because the ability to switch back and forth between claimed genders allows people to pick and choose which rights they want in any given situation.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 15th May 2019 at 05:40 PM.
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:22 PM   #1994
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

In other words, every single criteria can be satisfied by simply taking the patient's word for it.
I think for GID that's all there really is. You can talk to a person and get a sense of whether they seem sincere or not, but that's probably a bit subjective. There are a few cases where they clearly aren't sincere, like the weightlifter who said he would "identify as female" for long enough to break all the women's records and then go back to "identifying as male". But if you want to be sure confident (as much as possible), you could have a long discussion with the patient similar to a therapy session. Doctors are asked to determine if a person accused of a crime is competent to stand trial by evaluating their mental state.
Old 15th May 2019, 06:36 PM   #1995
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I think for GID that's all there really is. You can talk to a person and get a sense of whether they seem sincere or not, but that's probably a bit subjective. There are a few cases where they clearly aren't sincere, like the weightlifter who said he would "identify as female" for long enough to break all the women's records and then go back to "identifying as male". But if you want to be sure confident (as much as possible), you could have a long discussion with the patient similar to a therapy session. Doctors are asked to determine if a person accused of a crime is competent to stand trial by evaluating their mental state.
Professionals are rarely going to take the time to determine this if they're just being asked to say yes or no on a form, and the patient can just go to another one if the first doc/psychologist refuses.

But there's another category of problem patients here besides frauds. There are also people who are sincere in their beliefs, but just wrong. For example, sexual abuse survivors who want to transition as a way to escape their trauma, but who should really be receiving counseling instead. Another category that I don't think has been touched upon much but is of particular concern with children is autistics. They don't fit it, they have all sorts of social problems, and sometimes they get convinced that the source of those problems isn't their autism (which they can't do anything about) but their gender. They aren't lying, but they aren't correct either. Autistic girls can't navigate the increasing social complexity of pubescent girls, and autistic boys can't match the athleticism and aggression of pubescent boys. So they're going into puberty feeling like they don't fit in with their gender (and in a sense they don't), people keep telling them that switching genders will fix all these issues, and it won't. They will still be autistic, they will still have a hard time socializing with either gender. But in this day and age, who is going to tell them that? Who is even going to tell them that the problems of puberty are much less severe in adulthood, even for autistic people, and that they shouldn't mutilate themselves over what may be a passing problem? In fact, in some states doing so is effectively outlawed under "conversion therapy" bans.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 07:31 PM   #1996
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Professionals are rarely going to take the time to determine this if they're just being asked to say yes or no on a form, and the patient can just go to another one if the first doc/psychologist refuses.

But there's another category of problem patients here besides frauds. There are also people who are sincere in their beliefs, but just wrong. For example, sexual abuse survivors who want to transition as a way to escape their trauma, but who should really be receiving counseling instead. Another category that I don't think has been touched upon much but is of particular concern with children is autistics. They don't fit it, they have all sorts of social problems, and sometimes they get convinced that the source of those problems isn't their autism (which they can't do anything about) but their gender. They aren't lying, but they aren't correct either. Autistic girls can't navigate the increasing social complexity of pubescent girls, and autistic boys can't match the athleticism and aggression of pubescent boys. So they're going into puberty feeling like they don't fit in with their gender (and in a sense they don't), people keep telling them that switching genders will fix all these issues, and it won't. They will still be autistic, they will still have a hard time socializing with either gender. But in this day and age, who is going to tell them that? Who is even going to tell them that the problems of puberty are much less severe in adulthood, even for autistic people, and that they shouldn't mutilate themselves over what may be a passing problem? In fact, in some states doing so is effectively outlawed under "conversion therapy" bans.
I think I agree with your second paragraph. This suggests though, that it's important for professionals to actually take the time and steps to diagnose the patient correctly, and not just sign a form because it's easier. It's a matter of how seriously do they take the responsibilities of their job. Could a doctor later be sued for malpractice if they misdiagnose someone with gender dysphoria? There should be some kind of standard procedure to follow at least.
Old 15th May 2019, 09:06 PM   #1997
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
We are quite a way off that but hopefully at some point people can acknowledge 'it's more complicated than that' on a number of issues including sex and gender and we can start working on solutions that can work for everyone rather than trying to cling on to old ways.
If by "work for everyone" you mean keeping everyone happy, then I have bad news. It won't happen.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 10:53 PM   #1998
sadhatter
Philosopher

Now this raises an interesting perspective for me.

Same people who enforce shoplifting laws.

When someone makes a complaint it is acted upon.

You might as well say "how on earth could we stop all people from not paying to see movies? Do we have someone check tickets constantly during the film. " no, we take a reasonable amount of effort to remedy a problem that likely will not be 100 percent fixed due to the private nature of a restroom.

Are you telling me if asked you could find no solution that would work well enough to appease your average person?

If so your problem solving skills blow.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 01:05 AM   #1999
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

That... doesn't really answer the question, if doctors are simply believing their patients.
Well, it does answer the question you asked. Perhaps not to your liking. But as I have previously stated that is the case for a lot of, if not every, mental health condition.

How does a doctor know you are depressed? Suffering from anxiety? Because you tell them you are, explain the symptoms and they believe you.

Quote:
Sure, but everything on their looks like it comes from the patient's own diagnosis. For example, the APA criteria lists six items. Four of them are a "strong desire", one of them is a "strong conviction", all of which are obviously going to be self-reported by the patient. The only other one, "A significant incongruence between one's experienced or expressed gender and one's sexual characteristics", can be either observed in the case of "expressed gender" or self reported in terms of "experienced gender". In other words, every single criteria can be satisfied by simply taking the patient's word for it. It's essentially still self-diagnosis. How many doctors are going to refuse their patients, even if they're uncertain? That's going to get them labelled transphobic, which could ruin their careers. In general, they may not take that risk, and I can't actually blame them in today's environment.
How else could it possibly be? It's not self-diagnosis any more than depression is self-diagnosis.

Quote:

Doesn't apply in the US, nor do I expect they do much screening.
There's quite a lot of 'expecting' and assuming on your part to get to your conclusion.

[/quote]That... doesn't help. At all. Yes, if the whole thing was a farce to begin with, and it's still a farce after a switch, then the switch didn't cause the farce. But it's still a farce. [/quote]

But it is the point I was making. The whole thing is confused and people are making claims that are untrue. The whole controversy here is about Self-ID and yet it is not Self-ID that causes the problems being raised.

Quote:
But it's worse than that, because pure self-identification CAN introduce new problems. GRC's are supposed to be permanent. True pure self-identification allows switching on a whim.
And you are adding to the confusion by making claims like this. Switching on a whim is not what is proposed. You are coming up with some new idea and trying to claim it is what is being talked about. It isn't.

Quote:
Yes, actually it does, because the ability to switch back and forth between claimed genders allows people to pick and choose which rights they want in any given situation.
Which isn't Self-ID as it is proposed. There is no legal process that I am aware of to switch back and forth between genders on a whim.

All of this being the case, do you have an actual objection to Self-ID as it proposed? If so what is it?
Old 16th May 2019, 01:11 AM   #2000
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

I can't really speak for the US - it seems the system there is much more transactional but yes, here in the UK, a professional would absolutely be EXPECTED to 100% of the time take the time to determine if what they are being asked to attest to on a legal form is true or not. That's part of what being a professional means.

Quote:

Well this would all be part of the process of treating the condition. If they choose to explore transition then counselling etc is part of that journey.

Your problem seems to be that doctors aren't doing their jobs properly? Do you have evidence that this is the case or just a hunch?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events