ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:02 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Thou shalt not have sex with a boat anymore

Bit left field

Museum decides calling a vessel "she" is bad, so they need to be gender neutral.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...gns-referring/
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:17 PM   #2
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Sure, why not?
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:19 PM   #3
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Will be much more interesting when this kind of thing is applied to a gendered language.
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:38 PM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Will be much more interesting when this kind of thing is applied to a gendered language.
There is a movement in France to do that, it is rather controversial!
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:44 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
There is a movement in France to do that, it is rather controversial!
Not surprising. The French are rather precious about their language, which is strongly gendered.

But as a tiny step in a general push towards more gender-neutral language - in English, at least - yeah, I support this. There are other, larger steps that also need to be taken, but there's no reason not to stop referring to ships in the feminine.
Old 24th April 2019, 12:14 AM   #6
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Not surprising. The French are rather precious about their language, which is strongly gendered.

But as a tiny step in a general push towards more gender-neutral language - in English, at least - yeah, I support this. There are other, larger steps that also need to be taken, but there's no reason not to stop referring to ships in the feminine.
Can I ask why?

If this is what feminists have left to concentrate on fixing she is hardly looking like a struggle for equality
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 12:43 AM   #7
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Can I ask why?

If this is what feminists have left to concentrate on fixing she is hardly looking like a struggle for equality
What makes you think this is the work of feminists?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 12:51 AM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Can I ask why?

I firmly believe that gender-neutral language is a worthy goal to work towards. All steps in that direction are good steps, even if they are, like in this case, tiny.
Old 24th April 2019, 12:56 AM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I firmly believe that gender-neutral language is a worthy goal to work towards. All steps in that direction are good steps, even if they are, like in this case, tiny.
Fair enough I suppose

Just seems a bit killing historical language for no good reason to me.

So shall we hack off the statue of liberty's dress then and build a pair of generic trousers?

Old 24th April 2019, 01:07 AM   #10
chrispy
Muse

I see in English how this could be rather easily worked toward, but as a Spanish speaker I would be hard-pressed to imagine the language in a gender-neutral form.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 01:11 AM   #11
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I think we can confidently predict that this has zero effect on the real world, and will probably be dropped by the museum in question in due course. Those who build, own, and crew sea-going vessels have used feminine pronouns for them centuries,* and that's not going to change because one museum pulled a publicity stunt.

* ETA: Nazi warships excepted [Godwin Alert!]

Last edited by Information Analyst; 24th April 2019 at 01:21 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 01:15 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
What makes you think this is the work of feminists?
The reason being given is that the information signs are being vandalised but just the word "she". It seems quite a reasonable speculation that this is being done by someone who would consider themselves to be a feminist as feminists have vandalised property in the past.
Old 24th April 2019, 01:15 AM   #13
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Tilting at windmills. The grand life of Social Justice Warriors living up to their motto: We are pretty useless at everything but we can be annoying.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 01:16 AM   #14
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I think we can confidently predict that this has zero effect on the real world, and will probably be dropped by the museum in question in due course. Those who build, own, and crew sea-going vessels have used feminine pronouns for them centuries, and that's not going to change because one museum pulled a publicity stunt.
Think this is the bit that the callers for change don't seem to get.

No "New rules" are going to change age old terminology

But fair play to them.

"And they huffed and they puffed and they blew the hardly funded museum signs in"

"And they huffed and they puffed and every body else went. Yeah whatever"

Old 24th April 2019, 01:19 AM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Fair enough I suppose

Just seems a bit killing historical language for no good reason to me.

So shall we hack off the statue of liberty's dress then and build a pair of generic trousers?
In what way is a statue language?

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I see in English how this could be rather easily worked toward, but as a Spanish speaker I would be hard-pressed to imagine the language in a gender-neutral form.
Spanish, being a Romance language, like French, is strongly gendered, and thus much harder to degenderise (that's a word now). I still think it should be worked towards, but will take a lot longer and change the language much more significantly. In a few hundred years time I think the global lingua franca will be a blend of English and Chinese anyway.
Old 24th April 2019, 01:21 AM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

In what way is a statue language?

Spanish, being a Romance language, like French, is strongly gendered, and thus much harder to degenderise (that's a word now). I still think it should be worked towards, but will take a lot longer and change the language much more significantly. In a few hundred years time I think the global lingua franca will be a blend of English and Chinese anyway.
Meant the concept of freedom

"Lady freedom" The statue

Unless you think freedom can only be offered by females

Highly sexist

Old 24th April 2019, 01:22 AM   #17
Information Analyst
Philosopher

The reason being given is that the information signs are being vandalised but just the word "she". It seems quite a reasonable speculation that this is being done by someone who would consider themselves to be a feminist as feminists have vandalised property in the past.
One would think that a reasonable response would be to try to identify the vandal/s and have them prosecuted for criminal damage, rather than pander to them.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 01:25 AM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Meant the concept of freedom

"Lady freedom" The statue

Unless you think freedom can only be offered by females

Highly sexist
Again, I was talking about gender-neutral language and not about statues at all.
Old 24th April 2019, 01:27 AM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Again, I was talking about gender-neutral language and not about statues at all.
Right

So she is a bit pick and chosey

Personally think concepts like freedom, peace etc are slightly more important than a bunch of words, but all good

Old 24th April 2019, 01:40 AM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Think this is the bit that the callers for change don't seem to get.

No "New rules" are going to change age old terminology

But fair play to them.

"And they huffed and they puffed and they blew the hardly funded museum signs in"

"And they huffed and they puffed and every body else went. Yeah whatever"
But "gendered" words have changed in just my lifetime, several words that seemed ludicrous when they first started being used have made the transition to mainstream usage.
Old 24th April 2019, 01:43 AM   #21
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

But "gendered" words have changed in just my lifetime, several words that seemed ludicrous when they first started being used have made the transition to mainstream usage.
Are you talking like Chairperson rather than Chairman etc?

As that has kind of been around way before modern day usage

Old 24th April 2019, 01:43 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
One would think that a reasonable response would be to try to identify the vandal/s and have them prosecuted for criminal damage, rather than pander to them.
I suspect you would find they don't have the resources to conduct such an investigation. The signs have to be reprinted so that cost was one they have to bear so they might as well try to prevent the same vandalism occurring.

Last edited by Darat; 24th April 2019 at 01:46 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 01:45 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Right

So she is a bit pick and chosey

Personally think concepts like freedom, peace etc are slightly more important than a bunch of words, but all good
I suspect (twice in one thread) that your stream of posts make sense to you but to me there seems to be missing parts as you seem to jump all over the place.

What exactly is your point in regards to the statue of Liberty?

Last edited by Darat; 24th April 2019 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Unseemly
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 01:50 AM   #24
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I suspect (twice in one thread) that your stream of posts make sense to you but to me there seems to be missing parts as you seem to jump all over the place.

What exactly is your point in regards to the statue of Liberty?
It wasn't really

It was what it represents

Freedom as a concept

Surely something that represents freedom should not be sexed?

Old 24th April 2019, 02:02 AM   #25
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

It wasn't really

It was what it represents

Freedom as a concept

Surely something that represents freedom should not be sexed?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 02:11 AM   #26
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
All good

I give up

Was just trying to think like a anti-things can have sexes type

Old 24th April 2019, 02:13 AM   #27
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Masculine and feminine nouns in Romance languages aren't quite the same thing as what happens in English with referring to ships in the feminine. Piscina is a "feminine" noun by construction but it's not meant to imply that the pool is a female entity. When talking about the pool, it's still a thing - an eso, not an ella.

In English, the archaic practice of feminizing vessels involves a level of personification. I do not know why people a long time ago decided to start addressing ships as "she" and "her" rather than "it". I wonder if the fact that the captain of a vessel is referred to as the "master" may come from the same basis; perhaps some wistful and vaguely misogynist (yes, the M-word) sentiment about how a ship needs to be properly controlled to make its best use?
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 02:26 AM   #28
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Would imagine it was the obvious

Pride in owning something you have pride in

Obviously sexist, but it is hardly going to change in everyday language. People use it for cars ffs

Master is being master of the crew.

Which is't

Old 24th April 2019, 07:30 AM   #29
Arcade22
Philosopher

Ships and boats don't have ******* genders.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 07:52 AM   #30
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Could have been an incel mad at all the men going inside of "her."
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 08:25 AM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Or it could be a religious person who believes anthropomorphizing objects is idolatrous. Or a member of a culture which regards boats as masculine.
Old 24th April 2019, 09:38 AM   #32
CORed
Philosopher

I find that my reaction to this is one of extreme apathy. I can't think of a reason to give a **** one way or the other. As others have pointed out, calling boats or ships "she" is a long tradition. Possibly it in some way rooted in sexism or misogyny. So what?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 09:47 AM   #33
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

It was pretty easy to do in Danish. We used to have something corresponding to the Lehrer/Lehrerin in German:
en lærer (male) a teacher
en lærerinde (female) a female teacher
en skuespiller (male) an actor
en skuespillerinde (female) an actress

Nowadays en lærer is a teacher of any sex. Han er lærer, hun er lærer - He's a teacher, she's a teacher. It was a very smooth transition. Only very old people still say lærerinde or skuespillerinde.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 10:51 AM   #34
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
It was pretty easy to do in Danish. We used to have something corresponding to the Lehrer/Lehrerin in German:
en lærer (male) a teacher
en lærerinde (female) a female teacher
en skuespiller (male) an actor
en skuespillerinde (female) an actress

Nowadays en lærer is a teacher of any sex. Han er lærer, hun er lærer - He's a teacher, she's a teacher. It was a very smooth transition. Only very old people still say lærerinde or skuespillerinde.
But while Danish has grammatical gender, aren't the genders neuter and "common gender"? It's comparatively easy to make the language more gender-neutral if there is no distinction between masculine and feminine. Norwegian still seems to have an actual feminine gender, but apparently one can treat feminine nouns as common gender (ei/en jente; sola/solen).
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 11:14 AM   #35
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Masculine and feminine nouns in Romance languages aren't quite the same thing as what happens in English with referring to ships in the feminine. Piscina is a "feminine" noun by construction but it's not meant to imply that the pool is a female entity. When talking about the pool, it's still a thing - an eso, not an ella.

In English, the archaic practice of feminizing vessels involves a level of personification. I do not know why people a long time ago decided to start addressing ships as "she" and "her" rather than "it". I wonder if the fact that the captain of a vessel is referred to as the "master" may come from the same basis; perhaps some wistful and vaguely misogynist (yes, the M-word) sentiment about how a ship needs to be properly controlled to make its best use?
Ah. That is a much clearer explaination of the OP. Thanks.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 11:20 AM   #36
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
As others have pointed out, calling boats or ships "she" is a long tradition.
Perhaps, but it's a tradition specific to a culture we don't really belong to, regardless of how "long" it is.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 11:25 AM   #37
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Can I ask why?

I would note that, aside from being a matter of general principle, it is also possible for some people, even feminists, to pay attention to more than one thing at a time.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 12:18 PM   #38
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

Perhaps because they had been named after females?
Ships that have male names are referred to in the masculine gender.
The Edmund Fitzgerald come to mind as well as the Nimitz.
Maybe we are looking way too deep into this. It's all just a matter of names.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 12:49 PM   #39
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Perhaps because they had been named after females?
Ships that have male names are referred to in the masculine gender.
The Edmund Fitzgerald come to mind as well as the Nimitz.
Maybe we are looking way too deep into this. It's all just a matter of names.
But there are plenty of ships that are not named for people, and I think they generally default to "she," as do spips that are not specified. Though I read that English warships were "he" as a rule. But I think it's mostly a holdover from previous languages in which nouns are gendered as they are not in English. It seems easy enough simply to drop the gendering and call ships "it." The argument that doing so is uncomfortable for some people is no better than the argument that leaving it alone is uncomfortable for others.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 12:53 PM   #40
CORed
Philosopher

In response to the title of the OP:

Okay, as long as I'm still allowed to have sex in a boat.

Or drink American beer, which I understand is just like it.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events