ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racial incidents , school incidents

Old 11th May 2019, 07:18 AM   #41
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This measured, considered and well reasoned response from Darren Harper (whoever the **** he is?) to the crass episode sums up the depths to which people will go to create an issue of race where one does not, on the face of it and without further investigation, exist.

The irony is that all the commentators could be described as a modern day lynch mob.
Do you know that whites are a minority in California? And many say it is impossible for a minority to be racist....
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 07:19 AM   #42
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The jury at Chez Foolmewunz is still out on this. I'd like to hear what they THOUGHT they were doing and what the cryptic comment by the principal meant.

At best, they're just totally clueless to the implications to other races than their own. Particularly since we just had the racial connotations all over the news in the Boeing incident in South Carolina.

I automatically discount:

Reference to Hangman. No. It's not like Wizard's chess. No one has ever played a word game with death seriously on the table. (Unless it's a "here go hang yourself" message but I'd think that would be addressed to the principal.)

Reference to suicide. If it is, it's totally incongruous because of the smiling/laughing pose. Also, most suicide by hanging does not involve a proper noose. ((Unless it's a "here go hang yourself" message but I'd think that would be addressed to the principal.)

A threat to blacks. The district is majority Hispanic with an additional 11% black. And it's an elementary school. Where would the racial animus come from? They've been teaching there for sometime. The usual target would be the principal (da boss) but she's involved in it.

Rustlers. I doubt that area of CA was ever a part of the wild west and haven't heard of gangs of rustlers or horse thieves.

Is there some sort of dispute between the school and district? School politics in CA can be quite messy. Unions have a lot of clout and some issues turn into pitched battles.

I'd like to see some explanation. At present it seems to be a clumsy and insensitive moment, but I'm open to other possibilities.
I sure wish the posted pics were the email in entirety. Obviously edited to maximize the impact.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:08 AM   #43
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It's more related to your personal and cultural experience than geography.

An American Southerner, especially a POC, would likely have strong connotations to klan lynchings. Hell, black people in general might well have that their first hit.

People who grew up only seeing a noose in horror flicks and Westerns would obviously associate it with them. Someone like lionking, who I gather is Australian, might have no other connotations than what they see in the news (note they referenced 'in the past decade'), which would be strictly the racist murder angle. So they would see it as 'grasping at straws', when other Americans have already posted that they think of nooses in the same way.
In a way, it's weird that there would be a western connotation at all. Hanging was the standard method of execution throughout the US, not just in the western states/territories. However, the Western was a staple of American pop culture in the '50s and '60s, and into the '70s. Since a lot of the theme of Westerns involved outlaws, gunfights, and crime in general, there were an awful lot more hangings in Westerns than there were in movies set in New York City. For those of us who grew up in that era, that makes the association between hangings and Westerns pretty common, despite the fact that it could be part of darned near any historical movie set any time before the noose was replaced with more "high tech" ways of killing people.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:36 AM   #44
catsmate
No longer the 1

Rustlers. I doubt that area of CA was ever a part of the wild west and haven't heard of gangs of rustlers or horse thieves.
There have been numerous lynchings in California, the last was (IIRR) 1933.

ETA: 1935. And 352 are known and documented. There's a book about them: Lynching in the West: 1850–1935 by Ken Gonzales-Day
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 11th May 2019 at 08:40 AM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:39 AM   #45
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I sure wish the posted pics were the email in entirety. Obviously edited to maximize the impact.
I've been looking for all the details but tgey are hard to come by at this point. Could just be a Fake Noose story.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 10:10 AM   #46
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Are you suggesting that the commentators believe the teachers should be publicly executed without trial?
No, and that is plainly obvious in my observation.

Quote:
While expressing disdain for them, calling them racists, and calling for their summary dismissal may be excessive, or at least premature, it will never be lynching, and I think it's really important to remember this.
OK.

Quote:
Fuzzing the distinction smacks of the same kind of cluelessness that gives rise to incidents like this in the first place.
Isn't that what you have just done with my post?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 10:12 AM   #47
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Do you know that whites are a minority in California? And many say it is impossible for a minority to be racist....
No and I'm not sure what point you wish to make?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 10:29 AM   #48
3point14
Pi

And many say it is impossible for a minority to be racist....
Very Trumpian.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 02:54 PM   #49
Elagabalus
Illuminator

...Rustlers. I doubt that area of CA was ever a part of the wild west and haven't heard of gangs of rustlers or horse thieves...
Begging your pardon there, cuz', but ain't you being just a might dismissive about these parts? Now, I don't about how it were back in ... where'd you say you was from again... that's it, sultry Nawlins? But around here, back in the day, to get to the train depot one had to take a stagecoach or two and that might include the stage being held up at gun point by a bunch of no good, thievin', ne'er-do-wells of the malicious sort.

And, excuse me, but Palmdale? That don't sound like a town that might be a little collectively addle brained? You see, out here, one tries to avoid livin' in towns ending in 'dale or 'ville (on account of the hick factor being a might too high especially if they ain't on the coast). Anyways, how about some good ol' skulduggery over water rights? Didn't you say in another thread that you was partial to that talkie "Chinatown"? Well, I believe that the main protagonist in that film takes a trip out to Palmdale or environs, don't he?

Say, just down the road from Palmdale is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasquez_Rocks. Many a fine western has been made there.* Why, I reckon that maybe all the fine westerns being made there has made quite an impression on your average Palmdalian. What do you reckon?

*Hell, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey was on last night and I'd be lyin' if I didn't say that it tickles my funny bone to see ol' Bill and Ted made to climb up Vasquez Rocks by the evil us's right after they'd been watching Star Trek TOS S01E18 "Arena"!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 06:45 PM   #50
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I think you are clutching at straws to defend the indefensible. You would have to live in a cave not to get the symbolism of a noose in this age.
The picture seems pretty stupid, but what exactly do you think they were trying to say with it? Are they racists trying to intimidate black students hoping that they'll leave the school? Or something less direct but still racist, like just trying to create an atmosphere of intimidation to "keep them in their place"?

The whole thing seems weird to me, so I don't really know, but I'm not really sure I understand exactly what racist thing they are meant to have been doing.

Maybe just insensitivity in understanding how the noose will be perceived by others? Or understanding that perception but not caring about it (rather than deliberately trying to invoke it)?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:33 PM   #51
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
The picture seems pretty stupid, but what exactly do you think they were trying to say with it? Are they racists trying to intimidate black students hoping that they'll leave the school? Or something less direct but still racist, like just trying to create an atmosphere of intimidation to "keep them in their place"?

The whole thing seems weird to me, so I don't really know, but I'm not really sure I understand exactly what racist thing they are meant to have been doing.

Maybe just insensitivity in understanding how the noose will be perceived by others? Or understanding that perception but not caring about it (rather than deliberately trying to invoke it)?
I don’t know what their motivation was. But here we have professional people who should be aware of how their actions will be reasonably interpreted.

In the US, with it’s not so ancient history, goofing off around a noose is not saying “let’s go out and lasso a cow” it’s saying “let’s (hopefully symbolically) lynch someone”. How else can this be interpreted in America in this day and age? We have had some fanciful reasons given in this thread, like it being about the word game (risible) or old cowboy movies (a little better, but still far fetched).

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:47 PM   #52
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I don’t know what their motivation was. But here we have professional people who should be aware of how their actions will be reasonably interpreted.
Well, the interpretation of their actions is necessarily an interpretation of motivations.

Quote:
In the US, with it’s not so ancient history, goofing off around a noose is not saying “let’s go out and lasso a cow” it’s saying “let’s (hopefully symbolically) lynch someone”. How else can this be interpreted in America in this day and age? We have had some fanciful reasons given in this thread, like it being about the word game (risible) or old cowboy movies (a little better, but still far fetched).
It's very possible that I'm just naive about the extent of racism in America, but I just have a hard time attributing that kind of motivation to anyone, it's seems insane.

Maybe you are right and these women really are that crazy. But while I've met some racist people, I've literally never met anyone even approaching that level of racism. I'm not American, though, and my not having encountered it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but... it just seems more likely to me that they were clueless than being so racist as that.

As I said I might just be living blissfully unaware of the reality, however.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 09:46 PM   #53
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Well, the interpretation of their actions is necessarily an interpretation of motivations.

It's very possible that I'm just naive about the extent of racism in America, but I just have a hard time attributing that kind of motivation to anyone, it's seems insane.

Maybe you are right and these women really are that crazy. But while I've met some racist people, I've literally never met anyone even approaching that level of racism. I'm not American, though, and my not having encountered it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but... it just seems more likely to me that they were clueless than being so racist as that.

As I said I might just be living blissfully unaware of the reality, however.
Though I've lived most of my life in the relatively mild and racially non-contentious wilds of rural New England, I have. It's rare in my direct experience, but it's surprising, frightening and disgusting.

It seems to be fashionable these days to go ahead and say or do stuff that's offensive and hateful, and if called on it to back off and say it was all a joke, or to get all pearl-clutching about being the victims of political correctness, but I just don't believe it, just as I don't believe anyone could be stupid enough to feign surprise when accused of racism for depicting a racially mixed baby as a chimpanzee or wearing blackface to a frat party. Unless these people have been living under a rock for half their lives, they damned well know what things mean.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 09:48 PM   #54
Elagabalus
Illuminator

My job sucks, just shoot me? Or hang me?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 09:59 PM   #55
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
My job sucks, just shoot me? Or hang me?
A link to a 20 year old TV show? You’re joking aren’t you? You know that “shoot” in that show’s name refers to photography don’t you?

There have been many laughable attempted defences of these idiots, but this just takes the cake.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 11:06 PM   #56
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It's more related to your personal and cultural experience than geography.

An American Southerner, especially a POC, would likely have strong connotations to klan lynchings. Hell, black people in general might well have that their first hit.

People who grew up only seeing a noose in horror flicks and Westerns would obviously associate it with them. Someone like lionking, who I gather is Australian, might have no other connotations than what they see in the news (note they referenced 'in the past decade'), which would be strictly the racist murder angle. So they would see it as 'grasping at straws', when other Americans have already posted that they think of nooses in the same way.

Forgive me if I am wrong

But your post seems to agree it is a geographical thing while trying to argue it isn't a geographical thing

Having never been to the US the only association I have with nooses is executions of anyone and a few mates offing themselves.

Now I fully appreciate in the US this might be different, but you can't tell me a lot of people in the US don't have the same connections
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 10:34 AM   #57
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Malice, stupidity and all of that. Maybe I'm more sympathetic audience as anyone can win me over with a little gallows humor. And everybody has gaps in their knowledge. I recently heard about a co-ed who grew up believing Alaska and Hawaii were in close proximity, which confounded her as Alaska is famously cold and Hawaii is famously tropical. How could she believe such a foolish thing? Because they're bunched together in the lower left corner of U.S. maps!
Sad, but likely true of a number of people who are uncomfortable with certain ways maps arrange things that are not consistant (though perfectly logical) with where odd locations are placed and why that helps when people who understand maps have no trouble with such.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 10:38 AM   #58
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Ok. What were they joking about with a noose: a hangman kind of thing, or lynching? Maybe a tasteless gag about suicide being the retirement plan in the district?

Seriously, I'd like to hear their story. As discussed on the Boeing thread, lynching is skmethkng that doesn't jump out as a noose connotation. Maybe it's a regional thing, I dunno.
I feel compelled to ask: were you sleepy or is there a keyboard problem. Not so much that it occurred, but that it was not noticed and corrected.....

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 11:51 AM   #59
mgidm86
Philosopher

People can't control how a vocal minority of idiots are going to react to such a mundane photograph. There is nothing reasonable about this reaction.

Yes, nooses were used in California folks. We had at least one town known as "Hangtown" and that had nothing to do with blacks or slavery, sorry.

But we're supposed to accept that "everyone knows" what a noose means these days? It may mean that to you hyper-sensitive types but please leave the rest of us alone.
Old 12th May 2019, 01:40 PM   #60
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

The jury at Chez Foolmewunz is still out on this. I'd like to hear what they THOUGHT they were doing and what the cryptic comment by the principal meant.
No, in this era of Internet call-out culture we must immediately assume the worst and shame and punish the perpetrators accordingly.
Old 12th May 2019, 05:01 PM   #61
Hungry81
Master Poster

No. You are telling Americans what YOU think they should associste this particular noose with. For all you know they were goofing around with an old halloween decoration, or Maybe its a drama prop or maybe they were going to teach knot tying and they goofed off after tying this one. You are deciding that this must be racist based upon little information and your personal opinion.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 05:51 PM   #62
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
No. You are telling Americans what YOU think they should associste this particular noose with. For all you know they were goofing around with an old halloween decoration, or Maybe its a drama prop or maybe they were going to teach knot tying and they goofed off after tying this one. You are deciding that this must be racist based upon little information and your personal opinion.
He lost me when he assumed California school teachers are "professional people who should be aware of how their actions will be reasonably interpreted."
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 06:01 PM   #63
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

or Maybe its a drama prop or maybe they were going to teach knot tying and they goofed off after tying this one.
Oh yes, I forgot about the old noose-tying lessons in Home Ec.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 06:06 PM   #64
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Oh yes, I forgot about the old noose-tying lessons in Home Ec.
Did you forget about all the racist public school teachers in California?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 06:11 PM   #65
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

A link to a 20 year old TV show? You’re joking aren’t you? You know that “shoot” in that show’s name refers to photography don’t you?

There have been many laughable attempted defences of these idiots, but this just takes the cake.

There are people who never watched this show and had no idea it had anything to do with photography.

I always thought it was a lighthearted take on suicide...
Old 12th May 2019, 06:17 PM   #66
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Did you forget about all the racist public school teachers in California?
Nitpick: CA is not wall-to-wall Trump-haters and SJWs. There are large conservative swaths of the state and I'd be willing to be that you can find racist teachers in some of them. Hell, I have a candidate in mind - a Quora troll who is a bona fide teacher in L.A. County! Tenure and unions and all that!

Continue......

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 06:21 PM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nitpick: CA is not wall-to-wall Trump-haters and SJWs. There are large conservative swaths of the state and I'd be willing to be that you can find racist teachers in some of them. Hell, I have a candidate in mind - a Quora troll who is a bona fide teacher in L.A. County! Tenure and unions and all that!

Continue......
... Nitpick noted and dismissed as such.

You found one quora troll (who you don't even try to cite). So what?
Old 12th May 2019, 06:49 PM   #68
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

... Nitpick noted and dismissed as such.

You found one quora troll (who you don't even try to cite). So what?
Are you really trying to say that there's not a racist teacher in all of the public school system of the entire State of California?

Have you lost all perspective? Or do you just want to argue with me? Argue with me over an innocuous and pretty-safely-assumed statistically probable comment?

There are a quarter of a million public school teachers in CA. Do you actually think that Not One is Racist?

I'm not giving you the name of the Quora user. People use their real names on Quora, and it's not my place to sic a pack of angry dogs on them. I take them on, myself but you can go find your own. What a disturbing request!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 07:00 PM   #69
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Do you really believe that? That they publicized those two photographs because they were going to teach their first graders how to tie a noose, or because they just stumbled on a prop or a halloween decoration? I realize one should always be a little bit liberal and give a little room for doubt, but that's straining.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 07:01 PM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Are you really trying to say that there's not a racist teacher in all of the public school system of the entire State of California?

Have you lost all perspective? Or do you just want to argue with me? Argue with me over an innocuous and pretty-safely-assumed statistically probable comment?

There are a quarter of a million public school teachers in CA. Do you actually think that Not One is Racist?

I'm not giving you the name of the Quora user. People use their real names on Quora, and it's not my place to sic a pack of angry dogs on them. I take them on, myself but you can go find your own. What a disturbing request!
Photos show three or four "racist" teachers in the same school at the same time. In California. I'm not sure a US expat living in Thailand has any clue about any of this.
Old 12th May 2019, 07:11 PM   #71
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I feel compelled to ask: were you sleepy or is there a keyboard problem. Not so much that it occurred, but that it was not noticed and corrected.....
New cel phone, apparently regards two errors as intentional and doesn't autocorrect. This bodes ill for those nights huddled drunk in an alley making poignant argumentative propositions, like calling posters stypyd mrrthre fookres and whatnot.
Old 12th May 2019, 07:14 PM   #72
Thermal
Philosopher

Guys, seriously...its a back-to-school necklace, a nationwide joke. Teachers as far away as New York have been run through the mill for similar pics.
Old 12th May 2019, 07:22 PM   #73
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Photos show three or four "racist" teachers in the same school at the same time. In California. I'm not sure a US expat living in Thailand has any clue about any of this.
We don't actually know that they're racists, do we? I've stated this earlier; apparently you missed it.

Do you think I have less access to American media (Media media and Social media) than, say,.... you? Unless you're basing your goofy opinion on a personal survey that you've taken of all 265,000 teachers in CA, then that thought is absurd. Just how are YOU positioned to have that knowledge? Are you a union organizer for the CA school-teachers? Sit in the local human rights commission?
My wise old mom once countered one of my *****

You're supporting a stupid comment with stupider distractions. Again.... 265,000 teachers and what I thought was meant to be a humorous comment (play on noted liberal tendencies of teachers and teachers unions) you're actually doubling down on by throwing out any disparaging argument you can come up with.

This has become a tiring saw of the conservatives. You couldn't know this because you're Thai. Oops. You're not Thai. You couldn't possibly know this because you're not in America. Is there something special in the soil that makes a US Citizen not residing there less informed than those that do? I wouldn't pretend to have an opinion on whether there should be a crossing guard at Oak and Mulberry in Middletown. Larger issues with greater exposure I'm pretty up on.

(Just as an aside,... one of the things I've found about ex-pats around the world, from varying countries, is that we are all a little better informed because we keep up with things and aren't distracted by News of the Kardashians. This goes for conservatives and liberals.)

ETA: **** cat knocked over my laptop and upon rebooting it decided to post this.

I was about to say that I once got into an argument over politics with my mom. Typically arrogant know-it-all seventeen year old and she actually got me to think..... "What source of information do you have that I don't? You're talking opinions, not better information."

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 12th May 2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12th May 2019, 07:37 PM   #74
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Guys, seriously...its a back-to-school necklace, a nationwide joke. Teachers as far away as New York have been run through the mill for similar pics.
I had never heard of this before, but it's true. Google the phrase "back to school necklace". You'll see a whole lot of pictures of nooses. Urbandictionary.com has an entry for the phrase.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 07:45 PM   #75
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Missed this while my cat was playing Hulk with my computer.

Thanks. I don't know if this speaks any more highly of the teachers and principal, though. "Well, they're not racists or even just clueless about the racial connotations, they're just totally insensitive to mental health issues in kids."

But... an elementary school? I think they are possibly a little closed off from the issue and think of it as a comment on "being sentenced to another school year". I'm still voting for "I need more information".

Old 12th May 2019, 07:49 PM   #76
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I had never heard of this before, but it's true. Google the phrase "back to school necklace". You'll see a whole lot of pictures of nooses. Urbandictionary.com has an entry for the phrase.
My wife is a school psychologist in an overwhelmingly minority district, and had not heard the exact phrase but was well familiar with the sentiment (the actual phrase is buried down in the OP article). She further opined that it is recklessly irresponsible to have an actual noose around, even as an in-joke, where a depressed student might see it or be reminded of a suicide in their family. Seems reasonable to me.

eta: inappropriateness ninja'd by Foolmewunz

Last edited by Thermal; 12th May 2019 at 07:51 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 08:19 PM   #77
Elagabalus
Illuminator

My wife is a school psychologist in an overwhelmingly minority district, and had not heard the exact phrase but was well familiar with the sentiment (the actual phrase is buried down in the OP article). She further opined that it is recklessly irresponsible to have an actual noose around, even as an in-joke, where a depressed student might see it or be reminded of a suicide in their family. Seems reasonable to me.

Well, dagnabbit! Are we gonna' let a Yankee tell us what this thing's about!

Agree that it's reckless and irresponsible but I feel with the inclusion of the principal that no one will be sent packing.*

Except for the teacher already let go, that is.

*unless there was already an entrenched majority of teachers wanting to get rid of the Principal and now see an opportunity.
Old 12th May 2019, 08:28 PM   #78
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I have to agree that this seems like a really stupid thing for a principle to include in an email, and I also have to agree that there is no good reason for a real, physical, noose to ever be present in a school. No good can come of it.

Where I have real heartburn with this story is the racism angle, and not just the question of whether the noose is racist or not. It's the fact that you aren't even allowed to deny the racism. If it involves a symbol that is sometimes used in a racist manner, it's racist. If the people were aware of the racist connotations, but took the picture anyway, that's racist. If they were not aware of the racist connotations, they are obviously so clueless that they are totally out of touch with racial perceptions, which means they are racist. If someone sees the image and tries to raise the possibility that they are non racist, the person is clearly defending a racist, so they are racist.

And what should be done? Obviously, any racist of any sort should be fired. Anyone who makes any sort of racist reference is clearly a racist. They should be fired. Anyone who suggests that it's no big deal and that the teachers shouldn't be fired is insensitive to racism, which means they are racist, so they should be fired. It doesn't matter what their record is, how good they are at teaching, whether anyone can show that they intended racism, whether anyone could show that there has ever been any indication that racism has in any way influenced their job performance. None of that matters. They have been found doing something that could possibly be racist, which means that they should not be allowed to make a living in the only profession they have ever known.

Suppose we investigate the teachers and/or principal, and we find that they have records which show absolutely no hint of racism? It doesn't matter. They were doing a good job of covering it up in the past. Fire them.

It's a real lynch mob mentality. (Pun not intended, specifically, but unavoidable.)

Last edited by Meadmaker; 12th May 2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 05:27 AM   #79
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

New cel phone, apparently regards two errors as intentional and doesn't autocorrect. This bodes ill for those nights huddled drunk in an alley making poignant argumentative propositions, like calling posters stypyd mrrthre fookres and whatnot.
Sorry about the cell problem. I don't text so have not had to worry about that.
It is also one of the reasons I don't text.

Wash this space!

Old 13th May 2019, 05:49 AM   #80
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Principal and teachers are suspended from California elementary school after leaked photo showed them posing and grinning with a noose

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-NOOSE.html
Now why in the blue hell would anyone do such a thing?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events