IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags law of attraction , Rhonda Byrne

Old 17th July 2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Quakeulf
Thinker

"The Secret" in book stores in Norway

Ok, so many of you might not appreciate me going on about the situation in Norway because you might consider our country's population a bit too insignificant to be of any newsworthy importance, but regardless of a country's population, any spreading and endorsing of "The secret" in a developed country in the west is a very sad thing I would like to avoid.

So "The secret" has now arrived in one of the big book retailers in Norway, Tanum. Last weekend after getting visitors from Holland, we went there to buy some artbooks (their selection is excellent), and when the Dutchies were getting ready to pay at the counter, I noticed huge stacks of "The secret" both in DVD and book form(?) around in boxes, getting ready to be put up for sale, which really startled me.

Now the trouble is, I am not one who can come up with letters that can make an entire book retailer stop selling their books. I am aware of the danger "The secret" and that it can fool gullible people into doing stupid things. I would really love some help on this, which is getting Tanum (and probably others), to reconsider "The secret", and be aware of what they are doing.

Any help would be really appreciated!
Old 17th July 2007, 11:42 AM   #2
petra10
Graduate Poster

Hard one this as I expect the bookshop wouldn't take much notice of you as they will just be thinking of profit margins.You could try standing outside with a placard telling people all about the con but that usually has the opposit effect and just makes people more curious and gives them publicity.Best I can think of is lurk about and anyone showing an interest just laugh at them and say you cant beleive they would fall for such rubbish.Of course the bookshop might get you arrested.Sorry I am not much help.
petra10 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Quakeulf
Thinker

According to Randi's SWIFT there has been some success stories related to sellers pulling their woo-material. I hope to be able to make one myself, but then again, who am I helping? Gullible people?

EDIT: Ok, I'll visit them next Saturday and explain to them that "The Secret" is not good for them. Here's hoping you guys can provide me with something I can show them to get my point across, as I wouldn't want to start a fight empty-handed.

petra10:
Thank you for your input. Doing anything to create attention around this would not be a good idea. These materials need to get off the face of earth quieter and faster than the Dodo on LSD.

Last edited by Quakeulf; 17th July 2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added moar text
Quakeulf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Overman
Master Poster

Here's what you do...

First you get a half-hour morning talk show in Chicago, then rename the show after you, then expand it to a full hour.

Get a bunch of celeb friends, give away a bunch of cars, start a magizine...

THEN you tell all of your loyal followers not to shop at the book store!
Overman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Quakeulf
Thinker

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
Here's what you do...

First you get a half-hour morning talk show in Chicago, then rename the show after you, then expand it to a full hour.

Get a bunch of celeb friends, give away a bunch of cars, start a magizine...

THEN you tell all of your loyal followers not to shop at the book store!
Meanwhile 500 000 people have died from aids in Africa.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Overman
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Quakeulf View Post
Meanwhile 500 000 people have died from aids in Africa.

...and then you build a girls school there...
Overman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2007, 02:57 PM   #7
Scholar

No, you should attract one.
777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Slimething
Illuminator

Envision Tanum going out of business. Make it your heart's desire.

Or buy stock in it. Always works for me!
Slimething is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2007, 02:44 AM   #9
Quakeulf
Thinker

Well, I'll see what I can come up with... Probably just namedropping JREF and some other interweb sights could help, but I am not sure how to do that right.

Hopefully this will not be an attempt as pathetic as "The secret" itself.
Old 19th July 2007, 09:41 AM   #10
Scholar

I don't thik convincing them to not sell a bestseller is a good idea. We should make a more outrageous woo and sell it to outcolor the secret.
777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Quakeulf
Thinker

I'll let them know just what they are selling. Whatever will result from my activism is up to the future to decide.
Old 19th July 2007, 01:22 PM   #12
blobru
Philosopher

The REAL Secret:

The ONLY people getting rich off the Secret's "secret":

-- Envision;
-- Believe;
-- Receive...

are the authors and those who endorse them. For the rest of us poor saps, it's:

-- Envision;
-- Believe;
-- Plan;
-- Work;
-- (& with a little luck),
-- Receive!

I know people would like to skip those extra steps, but sorry, you can't. Not in any reality I've ever experienced anyway. Never been to beautiful Norway, but I assume the same holds true there.
That said, it's very difficult to save people from themselves, but you're welcome to try of course. Good luck.

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny

Last edited by blobru; 19th July 2007 at 01:28 PM.
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 01:53 PM   #13
Quakeulf
Thinker

I'll do my best, thank you blobru!
Old 19th July 2007, 06:00 PM   #14
Scholar

Do it anonymously.
Old 19th July 2007, 06:35 PM   #15
zombiebex
Critical Thinker

I'm torn on this one.

Yes, the Secret is a sham and a scam in a slick package.

But asking a store to not sell a certain book because you don't believe in it... eeeeh. That's censorship, and I hate that more than I hate the Secret.

Just make sure people are informed. Last time I saw the Secret in the bookstore, I complained loudly about it to a friend of mine, letting anyone in earshot know how I felt about it.

What someone needs to do is capitalize on the Secret by writing the Anti-Secret. Remember when the DaVinci Code came out, then all those other "Real" DaVinci code books came out to tell people the other side of the story? Yeeah, something like that.
zombiebex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 07:27 PM   #16
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
Hey Quakeulf, sorry to hear that the Secret has arrived in your home too. I think we are all bothered when woo-woo arrives at anyone's home.

Not sure if it is possible to get it pulled from the bookstore. Randi was able to get Kevin Trudeau's book pulled from a pharmacy which is a different thing entirely. All retailers love carrying best selling stuff and don't really care if it is nonsense.
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2007, 12:19 AM   #17
Quakeulf
Thinker

Ok, imagine this: Some dumbass buys "The Secret" from Tanum, does something inane after watching/reading it, and ends up suing the bookstore and goes crying to the media afterwards, creating a very bad impression of the quality assurance of the stuff they sell there.

It is better to avoid this than to have a nasty situation that could have been entirely avoided in the first place, right?
Old 20th July 2007, 08:17 AM   #18
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
I don't think your scenario is likely. I don't believe anyone expects bookstores to vet the content of every book they sell. The publisher might be in danger of being sued, but I doubt the book store would.

Does that bookstore carry Kevin Trudeau's "Natural cures...blah, blah, blah"? If so, that book is far more dangerous than the Secret nonsense.
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2007, 11:31 AM   #19
Quakeulf
Thinker

Originally Posted by Kochanski View Post
Does that bookstore carry Kevin Trudeau's "Natural cures...blah, blah, blah"? If so, that book is far more dangerous than the Secret nonsense.
I have no idea, but they carry some other woo-books, one called "NOW"-something, that looked very suspicious.
Old 21st July 2007, 10:11 AM   #20
Quakeulf
Thinker

Ok, round one did not go very well. They seem to have a huge section dedicated to woo-stuff. Everything from the healing, spiritualism and all that, to astrology and whatever you can shake a stick at. They don't even label it "fantasy"!

Luckily, no sign of Kevin Trudeau and no one knew of him. I did a database search at one of their computers, and found no sign of him. At least that counts for something.

Edit: They are not pulling "The secret" in any form yet. I'd need more people to back me up on this one. Oh well!

Last edited by Quakeulf; 21st July 2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
Quakeulf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2007, 11:18 AM   #21
Mick Houlahan
Thinker

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
...and then you build a girls school there...
...and stock said girls' school with attractive, articulate, and most importantly, telegenic students...
Mick Houlahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2007, 02:37 PM   #22
steve s
Philosopher

I had a meeting with my CPA yesterday and while I was sitting in his waiting room I thumbed through Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People issue. Imagine my disgust when I came upon a page devoted to Rhonda Byrne. The gushing article was written by Jack Canfield of Chicken Soup for the Soul fame. Here's a tidbit...

Quote:
Her intention was pure and simpleóto uplift as much of humanity as she could reach, and so far she has reached millions.
I think he means her bank account has reached into the millions. Here's the full article.

Steve S.
Old 21st July 2007, 03:39 PM   #23
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

I agree with Zombiebex - the best way to deal with woo books is to publish anti-woo rebuttals. Robert M Price has already paved the way with The Da Vinci Fraud and The Reason Driven Life, the latter being a very clever demolition of Rick Warren's glutinous The Purpose Driven Life (complete with forty-chapter structure). I suspect that at least one author is already preparing a hatchet job on The Secret.
Alice Shortcake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal