IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Wal-Mart

Old 18th July 2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Northernskeptic
Student

Religious background of Wal-Mart CEO

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but a friend of mine at work who is working on a degree in religious studies noticed some things about the CEO of wal-mart H. Lee Scott and was wondering about his religious background.

she was telling me that wal-mart doesn't stock certain types of birth control and there was a recent post on PZ Meyer's blog about Jesus action figures being sold there.

I've been unable to find any indication of his beliefs and was wondering if the rest of the JREF community might have an idea.

thanks
Northernskeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

The only thing I've noticed is he knuckled under to pressure from the Christian Right on the Christmas vs. Happy Holidays thing. Other than that, all I know is he hails from Kansas.

those Jesus toys they are being marketed heavily. As of most WalMart's customers represent a demographic that goes for such things, and until I see otherwise, I'm thinking this pertains more to sales than religion.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2007, 11:38 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Once you've sorted that out, check out the founder of Domino's Pizzas some day.
Old 19th July 2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Beady
Philosopher

Is this going to drift toward another call for boycotting a business/person on religious grounds?
Old 19th July 2007, 02:00 AM   #5
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
The only thing I've noticed is he knuckled under to pressure from the Christian Right on the Christmas vs. Happy Holidays thing.
Christmas being such a huge factor in retail, that's not surprising.

Quote:
As of most WalMart's customers represent a demographic that goes for such things
I would have thought WalMart had a pretty broad demographic? Surely it has to, to be the size it is. (I'm in Australia; we don't have WalMart. Sadly, we don't have Amazon either. )

Quote:
I'm thinking this pertains more to sales than religion.
Seems likely.
Old 19th July 2007, 05:06 AM   #6
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
(I'm in Australia; we don't have WalMart. Sadly, we don't have Amazon either. )
You have Amazon. I'm in North America, and I've ordered CDs from Amazon Germany. Nothing says you can't order from Amazon UK or US. Shipping will be a bit more, but not too bad (especially if you can enroll in "free" shipping - I think I pay $35 per year), and you'll have to wait a bit longer for deliveries, but it's available to you, nevertheless.
Old 19th July 2007, 05:12 AM   #7
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Free shipping. Yeah, that would be nice...

I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from Amazon, but the shipping to Australia is astronomically expensive. If I order one hardcover book, I can expect to pay at least twice the cost of the book in shipping.
Old 19th July 2007, 06:23 AM   #8
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Walmart has a tenancy to appeal to those on the lower income scale. In American, Walmart shoppers are stereotyped as trailer trash and hillbillies. I doubt myth that would hold up under scrutiny, but WalMart does carry some very cheap and tacky merchandise and it does appeal to the tacky who shop there.

You aren't missing anything if you don't have one. I prefer Target stores myself. They have wonderful selections of very nice items, ranging from clothing to home furnishing. They do not have Jesus dolls or cheap prints of Jesus in Housewares.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Northernskeptic
Student

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Is this going to drift toward another call for boycotting a business/person on religious grounds?
hey Beady

no hidden agenda here or plans to boycott, just looking for any information at all about what his beliefs are.
Northernskeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 07:34 AM   #10
Beady
Philosopher

I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from Amazon, but the shipping to Australia is astronomically expensive. If I order one hardcover book, I can expect to pay at least twice the cost of the book in shipping.
Can't you special-order from a physical books store?
Old 19th July 2007, 07:36 AM   #11
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
In American, Walmart shoppers are stereotyped as trailer trash and hillbillies.
Damned trailer-trashing, hillbilly senior citizens, cluttering up the parking lot with their gas-guzzling RVs!
Old 19th July 2007, 01:19 PM   #12
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

On a tangent: I heard that Walgreens was bought out by the Mormons, and that's why all their liquor departments quietly disappeared. Anyone know if there's any truth in that?
Old 19th July 2007, 01:36 PM   #13
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
On a tangent: I heard that Walgreens was bought out by the Mormons, and that's why all their liquor departments quietly disappeared. Anyone know if there's any truth in that?
A good friend of mine used to work there. He said they were phasing it out because it was a loss leader. (I can believe that - they always had the best prices). They didn't make money on it, always had problems with theft, and it took a lot more staff to police it than to police cosmetics.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 06:26 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Nah. I still eat Domino's pizzas.

Thankfully we don't have Wal-mart in Australia at this time, so that decision is out of my hands. I'd be more likely to boycott Wal-mart because it is an American mega-super-corp which drives small businesses to close, not because the founder is religious.
Old 19th July 2007, 06:33 PM   #15
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Nah. I still eat Domino's pizzas.
Dear god WHY! How can you do that to yourself?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 07:24 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Dear god WHY! How can you do that to yourself?
They're better than Pizza Hut.
Old 19th July 2007, 07:57 PM   #17
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Can't you special-order from a physical books store?
Yes; but that generally costs only slightly less than ordering from Amazon.
Old 19th July 2007, 08:09 PM   #18
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

This my have been mentioned but can you get your local library to find a copy? I can find most books through the inter-library loan system.
Old 19th July 2007, 11:46 PM   #19
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

The problem is that books are just plain overpriced in Australia. A recent hardcover novel that I paid $55 for is $18 on Amazon (about A$21) - plus $35 in shipping. So if I want to buy a book I have to either pay an effective 150% markup or wait until I have enough books on my list to justify shipping...
Old 20th July 2007, 01:23 PM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The problem is that books are just plain overpriced in Australia. A recent hardcover novel that I paid $55 for is $18 on Amazon (about A$21) - plus $35 in shipping. So if I want to buy a book I have to either pay an effective 150% markup or wait until I have enough books on my list to justify shipping...
Hmm, or find someone in the states to ship it through the USPS to austalia, as it can have free shipping to the US, and it is only like $10 USD to ship a 1 lbs package to australia.

Amazon in not really interested in giving you the best rates.

The heavier shipping when you get out of what they will list as first class international is not any cheaper though.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2007, 08:49 AM   #21
RSL's better half
RSL Groupie

Damned trailer-trashing, hillbilly senior citizens, cluttering up the parking lot with their gas-guzzling RVs!
I've lived in mobile home parks twice in my lifetime. Even though I adore shopping at Wal Mart, I still could not afford a gas-guzzling RV, though. Hey, but thanks, guys, for helping me discover what it is I love about Wal Mart! Trailer trash like me have it in our blood.

Of course, now that I'm married to the rich and powerful RSL, I guess I'll have to change my ways! Although, according to Sylvia Browne, I guess, RSL won't be so rich and powerful much longer. Oh well, there's always another mobile home park to move into.
RSL's better half is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2007, 10:16 AM   #22
RSLancastr

"Rich and powerful?"

Are you married to more than one RSL?

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal