IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:38 PM   #1081
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
Yes, I did notice that. I also noticed that he thinks a barrel shroud and pistol grip = more innocent people killed.
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
Don't you know that every time you attach an accessory, baby jesus cries?
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Lol! He'll be crying for DECADES now!!

http://www.zvirus.net/wp-content/upl...zombie-gun.jpg
Or maybe he wants to provoke reactions like to further justify his position that gun owners and a bit nuts.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:41 PM   #1082
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Unabogie View Post
No, people without access to guns aren't. It's just the people with arsenals we need to worry about.

Well, scratch that. Crazy people can just take the guns from other people's arsenals, like Adam Lanza did, and then go on a killing spree. You might be on to something here. Perhaps the problem is that people are amassing arsenals.

Thanks for the insight!
What you call an "arsenal" I call a collection.

I'm much more concerned with the person who only needs one.

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Or maybe he wants to provoke reactions like to further justify his position that gun owners and a bit nuts.
Too bad there isn't a word for that.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.

Last edited by Polaris; 29th January 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 01:46 PM   #1083
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post

I'm much more concerned with the person who only needs one.

Why?
Old 29th January 2013, 01:51 PM   #1084
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Why?
Because a mass-shooter only needs one. More concerned relative to those with a collection.

Not to say everybody who wants just one is going to be a shooter - far from it. If I were to purchase the ACR I'd like, it would be my only one but only for financial reasons (and that was even before they doubled in price, thanks Diane! ).
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 02:16 PM   #1085
Xulld
Master Poster

For the USA, since so many criminals etc are armed, I'll add self defence. The rest of us are OK without need for DGUs.
I once asked you at what rate of homicide that would change, I dont remember you answering . . . . Clearly it must be somewhere between 2 and 5 per 100K . . .

Please forgive me if you provided the exact threshold and I missed it.

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong

Last edited by Xulld; 29th January 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 02:25 PM   #1086
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Lol! He'll be crying for DECADES now!!

http://www.zvirus.net/wp-content/upl...zombie-gun.jpg
WOW!

I bet that would do a number on an unborn gay baby whale!

But, seriously, things like that give new dimension to the phrase "gilding the lily".
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 02:27 PM   #1087
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
WOW!

I bet that would do a number on an unborn gay baby whale!

But, seriously, things like that give new dimension to the phrase "gilding the lily".
Can you translate that into hillbilly for me?

Old 29th January 2013, 02:47 PM   #1088
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Xulld View Post
Because it would cost money, create crime where no crime existed before, and alienate a segment of society for no effect.

Are you really unable to understand?
So if they banned placing hello kitty stickers on the gun, would you be just as fired up?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 02:49 PM   #1089
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Unabogie View Post
No, people without access to guns aren't. It's just the people with arsenals we need to worry about.

Well, scratch that. Crazy people can just take the guns from other people's arsenals, like Adam Lanza did, and then go on a killing spree. You might be on to something here. Perhaps the problem is that people are amassing arsenals.

Thanks for the insight!
What do you call an arsenal? Mayhaps over 20 guns? 10? I personally think more than 1.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 03:02 PM   #1090
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What do you call an arsenal? Mayhaps over 20 guns? 10? I personally think more than 1.
Surely you mean more than zero?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 03:27 PM   #1091
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

re:thaiboxerken...

Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
And you've convinced me to put you back on ignore.
Wise decision. She joins a very select few that I've honored with a spot on my list.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 03:41 PM   #1092
triforcharity
Banned

So if they banned placing hello kitty stickers on the gun, would you be just as fired up?
I would. My daughter's pink .223 would have to have the stickers taken off.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 02:19 AM   #1093
Autolite
Graduate Poster

"Blame Canada"

Apparently Chicago's violent crime problem is Canada's fault.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...195623390.html

However, it didn't mention that Smith and Wesson also manufactures the pistols for the RCMP.

This situation does seem to be somewhat of a pickle...
Old 30th January 2013, 02:31 AM   #1094
Autolite
Graduate Poster

My dictionary defines 'arsenal' as "a public building for storing, making, or repairing military equipment of all kinds".

But hey, if fabricating your own definition to suit an agenda works for you then I say go for it!

The recognized correct meaning for terms such as "assault rifle" and "high powered" are being completely ignored in the popular media so it's all good...
Old 30th January 2013, 04:45 AM   #1095
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I once asked you at what rate of homicide that would change, I dont remember you answering . . . . Clearly it must be somewhere between 2 and 5 per 100K . . .

Please forgive me if you provided the exact threshold and I missed it.
I cannot see it changing ever, it is not just about the rate of deaths but the whole UK gun culture would have to change.

If UK gun crime suddenly rocketed, it would be dealt with by more armed police, not the public and DGUs.
Old 30th January 2013, 07:55 AM   #1096
Kestrel
Philosopher

I cannot see it changing ever, it is not just about the rate of deaths but the whole UK gun culture would have to change.

If UK gun crime suddenly rocketed, it would be dealt with by more armed police, not the public and DGUs.
Here in the US, paranoid homeowners shoot people for tuning into the wrong driveway. Is this collateral damage from gun lobby rhetoric about defending your home from invaders?
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 08:13 AM   #1097
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Here in the US, paranoid homeowners shoot people for tuning into the wrong driveway. Is this collateral damage from gun lobby rhetoric about defending your home from invaders?
A paranoid homeowner. Singular. To answer your (loaded) question: we don't know. Probably yes.

Home invasions do occur. It's rare. Fear over it is on par with fear about there being a pedophile behind every bush and corner. The NRA isn't alone in selling fear for profit.

Old 30th January 2013, 09:46 AM   #1098
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit

You found a single, anecdotal case of a paranoid homeowner.

How about a cross-reference of the many actual home invasions?

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 01:23 PM   #1099
Xulld
Master Poster

I see so we must always find all possible influences for any persons actions and then blame those influences and not the person themselves . . . . I see.

Perhaps we should find what is influencing your inability to comprehend the concept of personal responsibility and restrict their ability to influence you?

Yes, no? Why?

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 01:25 PM   #1100
Xulld
Master Poster

Your avoiding my question instead of answering it.

You said that you would not carry a defensive deadly weapon because were you live the rate of deadly encounters is not at the point in which you feel it would be needed. I am paraphrasing so please correct me if this meaning is not correct.

So the corollary is very clear.

At what rate would you carry? You are not the only person to make such statements, so anyone else that agrees with this assessment, please do feel free to answer and let me know what the rate of homicide would need to be for you to feel the need was relevant.

You cannot on one hand say this and have no rate at which you would carry. Definition of irrational.

Quote:
You simply cannot know what you claim to know about not only what the response would be, but if it would be effective.

Last edited by Xulld; 30th January 2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:36 PM   #1101
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
You found a single, anecdotal case of a paranoid homeowner.

How about a cross-reference of the many actual home invasions?
The guy blowing away the kid who drove into the wrong driveway is an extreme example, but it's far from the only one. People end up shooting their own kid who is sneaking home after staying out late. Or the drunk that walks into the wrong unit in a row of identical townhouses.

Yes, there are home invasions. Some of them are actually fights between rival gangs. Some are attempts to rob the guy growing pot in his basement. Some are unarmed burglaries gone wrong. The burglars were just looking for stuff to steal and it didn't look like anyone was home. Few are homes targeted at random by criminal gangs intent on mayhem and murder.

That loaded firearm kept ready fight off home invaders is far more likely be used on an innocent person.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 04:27 AM   #1102
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Just like the number of massacres does not spur the USA to do much about guns, neither does the number of supposed DGUs that are clearly murder.

If the British had a run of deaths in the name of self defence, but which were murder, I am sure we would act. It beggars belief that the USA will do precious little about this problem.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:35 AM   #1103
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Your avoiding my question instead of answering it.

You said that you would not carry a defensive deadly weapon because were you live the rate of deadly encounters is not at the point in which you feel it would be needed. I am paraphrasing so please correct me if this meaning is not correct.

So the corollary is very clear.

At what rate would you carry? You are not the only person to make such statements, so anyone else that agrees with this assessment, please do feel free to answer and let me know what the rate of homicide would need to be for you to feel the need was relevant.

You cannot on one hand say this and have no rate at which you would carry. Definition of irrational.
I would not carry in normal day to day life. Just like the majority of Americans do right now. It is the minority who feel the need/want to have a gun for self defence. We know from the New York map of gun owners published in the newspaper that streets have some with and some without guns. I would be one of those without. Even in the highest crime areas there are people who do not have guns.

Do you think there should be a number of deaths beyond which it should be law that you have to carry a gun?

As for rate of homicide, I would need there to be a war on and the UK is being invaded before I would carry.

Quote:
You simply cannot know what you claim to know about not only what the response would be, but if it would be effective.
Neither do you.
Old 31st January 2013, 10:49 AM   #1104
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit

That loaded firearm kept ready fight off home invaders is far more likely be used on an innocent person.
OK, when you make sweeping opinions like that, you are going to have to back it up.

How many of the 11,000+ firearm homicides last year can be classified as the killing of an innocent person incorrectly thought to be invading a home (or other property)?

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 10:56 AM   #1105
Xulld
Master Poster

I would not carry in normal day to day life. Just like the majority of Americans do right now. It is the minority who feel the need/want to have a gun for self defence. We know from the New York map of gun owners published in the newspaper that streets have some with and some without guns. I would be one of those without. Even in the highest crime areas there are people who do not have guns.

Do you think there should be a number of deaths beyond which it should be law that you have to carry a gun?

As for rate of homicide, I would need there to be a war on and the UK is being invaded before I would carry.

Neither do you.
Ok so clearly more caveats exist for you than just the probability of needing a deadly weapon.

I am honest with my bias. I stated clearly that I neglected to carry before I experienced the death of my friend. Stats did not matter before, and do not matter after.

That such a situation can occur is all that matters to me. That it happened means it can happen again.

It really is that simple for me. 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. I am not psychic, so instead I am prepared.

Last edited by Xulld; 31st January 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 1st February 2013, 07:22 AM   #1106
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
My dictionary defines 'arsenal' as "a public building for storing, making, or repairing military equipment of all kinds".

But hey, if fabricating your own definition to suit an agenda works for you then I say go for it!

The recognized correct meaning for terms such as "assault rifle" and "high powered" are being completely ignored in the popular media so it's all good...
wow, why do you get to pick the correct definition of a word I'm using that just doesn't fit the context? That's just dishonesty at work.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/arsenal
Old 1st February 2013, 07:24 AM   #1107
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. It's just the price we pay for freedom to own guns along with the other senseless gun crimes.
Old 1st February 2013, 07:27 AM   #1108
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Ok so clearly more caveats exist for you than just the probability of needing a deadly weapon.

I am honest with my bias. I stated clearly that I neglected to carry before I experienced the death of my friend. Stats did not matter before, and do not matter after.

That such a situation can occur is all that matters to me. That it happened means it can happen again.

It really is that simple for me. 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. I am not psychic, so instead I am prepared.
Do you wear armor as well? Why or why not?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events