ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Old 31st March 2020, 05:16 PM   #161
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
That's a philosophy I don't buy into - just too unlikely.
Prominent (Pakistani) Deobandi cleric Muhammad Taqi Usmani revealed on national TV that Prophet Muhammad had come in the dream of a movement member and "shared the cure for coronavirus." The cure was the recital of certain Quranic verses.

Well there you go - problem solved

https://www.newageislam.com/islamic-...-gaza/d/121446

Last edited by Hans; 31st March 2020 at 05:18 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 06:17 PM   #162
Venom
Illuminator

Btw the title of this thread is just awful. I request a change.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:21 PM   #163
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Not been reading the thread, but has anybody mentioned that CORONA is 6 letters and if you count C as the third letter in the alphabet and sum it up through the word, it gets to 66? Just saying and I think we have to credit the world's first neon-nazi, who isn't AA but DI Schulz, for that insight.
Old 31st March 2020, 07:30 PM   #164
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Not been reading the thread, but has anybody mentioned that CORONA is 6 letters and if you count C as the third letter in the alphabet and sum it up through the word, it gets to 66? Just saying and I think we have to credit the world's first neon-nazi, who isn't AA but DI Schulz, for that insight.
Also 3x6 is 18. Whis is AH. Which are .. my real life initials. Which means I should go sleep. Thanks for advice !
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:39 PM   #165
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Also 3x6 is 18. Whis is AH. Which are .. my real life initials. Which means I should go sleep. Thanks for advice !

Interesting POV. I actually get to 656 there. Which is close. Like Sabine Kraut Hitler or something. I think I'll just go to sleep as well.
Old 31st March 2020, 07:46 PM   #166
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Oh, but we also must notice that the day that the "crisis" will be over, allegedly, the Monday after the weekend after "Easter", is 420, also known as Uncle Adi's birthday, and as the Stoner Holiday. Stay strong!
Old 31st March 2020, 08:36 PM   #167
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Prominent (Pakistani) Deobandi cleric Muhammad Taqi Usmani revealed on national TV that Prophet Muhammad had come in the dream of a movement member and "shared the cure for coronavirus." The cure was the recital of certain Quranic verses.

Well there you go - problem solved

https://www.newageislam.com/islamic-...-gaza/d/121446
Trump should get right on this. The solution to all his problems. Re-election guaranteed.
Old 1st April 2020, 12:12 AM   #168
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

The ET Corona Gods language has not yet been debunked.
Old 1st April 2020, 04:19 PM   #169
Azrael 5
Philosopher

#filmyourhospital is trending on twitter,Americans(mainly) are insuinating that no patients can be found with covid 19 and are filming empty car parks(why that is signficant?)as proof.
Old 1st April 2020, 05:44 PM   #170
zorro99
Muse

Anthony Fauci’s security is stepped up as doctor and face of U.S. coronavirus response receives threats

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...63d_story.html
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:01 AM   #171
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Anthony Fauci’s security is stepped up as doctor and face of U.S. coronavirus response receives threats

It has only come to the attention of the Danish media today, but this conspiracy theory appears to have become radicalized in the last few days:

Efter trusler fra konspirationsteoretikere: Řget sikkerhed omkring USA's ledende virusekspert (DR.dk, April 2, 2020)
Coronavirus Task Force’s Fauci Receives a Security Detail (Wall Street Journal, April 2, 2020)
US health expert’s gesture fuels far-right conspiracy theory (Irish Times, March 30, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:09 AM   #172
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Jews have an advantage here:Passover is celebrated in the home.
Passover is probably something that ought to interest the CITGO team.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:43 AM   #173
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I'm not so sure anything so patently ridiculous and self-contradictory can exist.

#anthroskeptical

True, they're ridiculously dependent on/killed by dihydrogen monoxide.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:45 AM   #174
catsmate
No longer the 1

Or join AlternateHistory.com... See you there!
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:47 AM   #175
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post

What a surprise.
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:10 AM   #176
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Has anyone commented on this? A completely nutterbutter guy who was 'suspicious' of the USNS Mercy decided to hijack a train to ram it. The train ended up off the rails 250 yards away from the Mercy.

https://www.newser.com/story/288994/...Yun2EK3Ab0Zzhs

I did not know that train derailment was a specific separate crime.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:11 AM   #177
carlitos
"más divertido"

I think that this may be the first domestic terror attack based on conspiracy theories about the virus.

Originally Posted by cbs news
A train engineer intentionally drove a speeding locomotive off a track at the Port of Los Angeles because he was suspicious about the presence of a Navy hospital ship docked there to help during the coronovirus crisis, federal prosecutors said Wednesday. The locomotive crashed through a series of barriers and fences before coming to rest about 250 yards from the U.S. Navy Hospital Ship Mercy on Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a release.

Moreno acknowledged in two separate interviews with law enforcement that he intentionally derailed and crashed the train near the Mercy, according to the criminal complaint.

In an interview with FBI agents, Moreno stated that "he did it out of the desire to 'wake people up,'" according to an affidavit.
Wake up, sheeple.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:07 AM   #178
Mader Levap
Muse

Sooo... some loon thought presence of hospital ship during pandemic is suspicious?
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:22 AM   #179
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I think Emre's was better:

Originally Posted by Emre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hd67htvYtI

"2020 is written separately in red and green. Red and green color blind people see yellow. And yellow color is the color of the disease in symbolism. For example, if there is an outbreak on a ship, a yellow flag is used."

He is saying these on 13.12.2019
Is there an app, you know, like wisdomofchopra, where you can access random images and factoids and construct your own conspiracy theory by linking them together?
If not, there ought to be.
I'm red/green colorblind and I can't make any sense of that. Red and green color blind people see yellow? Everyone sees yellow. Red/green colorblind people actually see red and green. I don't mistake them for yellow. I just tend to mistake subtler shades of red and green for each other. Or I think light greens and pinks or dark greens and reds are actually grey because I can't see the redness or greenness.

Am I missing something?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:24 AM   #180
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Is it a hospital ship or a zombie factory?

Teach the Controversy!
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:29 AM   #181
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Sooo... some loon thought presence of hospital ship during pandemic is suspicious?
There's your mistake.
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:36 AM   #182
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Has anyone commented on this? A completely nutterbutter guy who was 'suspicious' of the USNS Mercy decided to hijack a train to ram it. The train ended up off the rails 250 yards away from the Mercy.

https://www.newser.com/story/288994/...Yun2EK3Ab0Zzhs

I did not know that train derailment was a specific separate crime.
We have a thread on this in the Current Events forum.
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:23 PM   #183
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just saw thsi word of wisdom on Infowars:

Quote:
I would rather die a free man, then be a bitch of the Chinese financed globalist empire. My advice from day one...PUT ON THE DAMN GLASSES, AND DO NOT COMPLY WITH THESE COMPLETELY UNCONSTITUTIONAL ORDERS. If it kills you, at least you died a free human on your own terms. And if you are fit and healthy, this fake 'scam-demic' will barely phase you, if you notice it at all.
Man, if he gets the virus it's dawrwinism in action...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:32 PM   #184
Axxman300
Illuminator

You know what would be great right now? A vaccine.

This is what the world looks like when there isn't a vaccine for a deadly infectious disease.

And people wonder why I have nothing but contempt for anti-vaccers.
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:23 PM   #185
curious cat
Critical Thinker

The best response to the question of a government involvement I found so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEgA...YV3Tz_A1giWzC0
curious cat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:46 PM   #186
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Just saw this word of wisdom on Infowars:

Quote:
I would rather die a free man, then be a bitch of the Chinese financed globalist empire. My advice from day one...PUT ON THE DAMN GLASSES, AND DO NOT COMPLY WITH THESE COMPLETELY UNCONSTITUTIONAL ORDERS. If it kills you, at least you died a free human on your own terms. And if you are fit and healthy, this fake 'scam-demic' will barely phase you, if you notice it at all.
There are two kinds of conspiracy theorists - alarmists, and denialists. This is an example of the latter.

Denialists refuse to accept the truth because it is inconvenient to them. They fear having to change their behavior to deal with a new situation. The answer? Simply deny that it exists!

But this guy is worse. He admits that even if it is real he won't treat it with respect. He would rather die than bow down to the virus! (as if it cared). But at least he is being honest. Most deniers have the same motives, but dare not admit to it because that would destroy the lie they tell themselves.

Alarmists are the opposite. They invent 'truths' that don't exist, because they want them to. The motivation is also different. Far from being fearful of change, these conspiracy theorists desire something new that will upset our boring ordinary lives.

There is an interesting parallel between this and their political views. Denialists tend to be conservative, whereas alarmists are more often 'liberal'. And it is no coincidence. Conservatives fear change, liberals welcome it. Why? Because they have different brains.

Once you recognize the connection it is easy to predict who will promote one kind of conspiracy or the other. Certain posters here are so predictable that it's not even a surprise when they do it.
Old 3rd April 2020, 04:32 AM   #187
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
I'm red/green colorblind and I can't make any sense of that. Red and green color blind people see yellow? Everyone sees yellow. Red/green colorblind people actually see red and green. I don't mistake them for yellow. I just tend to mistake subtler shades of red and green for each other. Or I think light greens and pinks or dark greens and reds are actually grey because I can't see the redness or greenness.

Am I missing something?
No. Emre is missing something.
Old 4th April 2020, 04:46 AM   #188
carlitos
"más divertido"

https://apple.news/A9k7geYksQjSSZZEqHAsrYQ

Conspiracy theorists are torching cell phone towers in the UK in response to rumors that 5G causes or spreads coronavirus, maybe by suppressing our immune system.

The Bastards are abusing phone company workers as well.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 07:51 PM   #189
Tinfoil Hater
Graduate Poster

Early on, right wing political hacks like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Candice Owens dismissed the virus as a liberal hoax designed to make Trump look bad. Since Trump seems to now realize its real some of his followers have abandoned the conspiracy beliefs- but many have not. I don't know how many are trolls but Iost count the number of people on Twitter and YouTube posts who think the global shutdown is a conspiracy of communists to topple capitalism.
Tonight I engaged with several who insisted the sick and grieving relatives are paid crisis actors. I can't tell how many of these conspiracy theorists really believe their lunatic perceptions and how many are just trolls pretending to be conspiracy theorists. They're out there
Old 4th April 2020, 07:59 PM   #190
Tinfoil Hater
Graduate Poster

How long before coronovirus
conspiracy theorists blame the Jews? The Jews are usually the first ones they blame ( usually referred to as the 'bankers')
Old 4th April 2020, 08:03 PM   #191
Tinfoil Hater
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
https://apple.news/A9k7geYksQjSSZZEqHAsrYQ

Conspiracy theorists are torching cell phone towers in the UK in response to rumors that 5G causes or spreads coronavirus, maybe by suppressing our immune system.

The Bastards are abusing phone company workers as well.

What absolute lunatics. They're the same kind of nutters who threatened 9/11 witnesses with violence
Old 5th April 2020, 04:47 AM   #192
Mader Levap
Muse

Originally Posted by Tinfoil Hater View Post
How long before coronovirus
conspiracy theorists blame the Jews? The Jews are usually the first ones they blame ( usually referred to as the 'bankers')
They already blamed jews. There is video going on in conspiracy circles that accuses Israel of making it as biological weapon.
Old 5th April 2020, 05:00 AM   #193
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post

Well, everyone aboard is sick! Follow the money! Wake up sheeple! (Sorry, got my boilerplate switched there)
Old 5th April 2020, 05:42 AM   #194
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

There's a lot going wrong here:Screenshot_20200405-134419~2.jpg
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 05:56 AM   #195
carlitos
"más divertido"

When I think of Belfast in the 1970's, I think "calm, still peaceful, restful ... "

Thanks "doctor" !
Old 5th April 2020, 06:04 AM   #196
Mader Levap
Muse

Do you mean The Troubles? Yeeeah... doctor.
Old 5th April 2020, 06:11 AM   #197
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

First conspiracies that the vaccine will be the Mark of the Beast and Christians should take it when it comes are out...
Old 5th April 2020, 07:32 AM   #198
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Btw the title of this thread is just awful. I request a change.
It's appropriate to use the report function on the first post, to request a title change.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:05 AM   #199
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

When I think of Belfast in the 1970's, I think "calm, still peaceful, restful ... "

Thanks "doctor" !
“I walked the streets, and smelled the savory,sweet fumes of spilled leaded gasoline, turned a corner to avoid a military traffic stop, amd some nice young men asked me some questions about my religion!”

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:20 AM   #200
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks "doctor" !
Her doctorate is a PhD in English literature! She used to be a fairly well respected author, but seems to have flipped out.

Oh, and that tweet is almost a year ago, so not Corona related.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories