ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Old 5th April 2020, 08:21 AM   #201
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
https://apple.news/A9k7geYksQjSSZZEqHAsrYQ

Conspiracy theorists are torching cell phone towers in the UK in response to rumors that 5G causes or spreads coronavirus, maybe by suppressing our immune system.

The Bastards are abusing phone company workers as well.
Where's out resident 5G nut?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:26 AM   #202
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
First conspiracies that the vaccine will be the Mark of the Beast and Christians should take it when it comes are out...
I think you meant NOT take it. And it's all tied into Bill Gates, of course.
Here's an actual example.
Old 5th April 2020, 08:59 AM   #203
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My conspiracy theory is a little different:

C19 is more serious that most other flu strains we're accustomed to, but not as deadly as we fear. In time, with more data, we'll estimate that many more people got it and survived (but weren't tested at the time) than we know. That's not my CT, though.

My CT is that China is covering up a widespread systemic dysfunction in their healthcare infrastructure, ranging from basic wellness to adequate medical services. I think most of the deaths in China are due to a fundamental inability buffer this outbreak, and that there are a lot more deaths there than are being reported. Not because the virus is that bad, but because Chinese wellness is that bad.

I think Italy is showing a similar systemic gap in healthcare. I predict that while China will never be forthcoming about what really happened in Hubei province, examining what went wrong in Italy will give us some insight into what went wrong in China. I think the outbreak is exposing similar gaps in the healthcare systems of most other countries, including the US. It will be interesting to see how many other countries end up going as badly wrong as China and Italy, and how many don't.

Anyway, that's my CT.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 09:58 AM   #204
Dani
Master Poster

I find your CT quite reasonable, theprestige.
Dani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 10:01 AM   #205
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dani View Post
I agree.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:28 AM   #206
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Are you baking your own bread? Maybe you should be. NYC restaurants close and Covid-19 infections skyrocket. Could someone at the bread factory have the virus? If you must display symptoms before receiving a test, yet asymptomatic people can transmit the virus. How do we know our common household bread has not been contaminated? How many New Yorkers supplemented or substituted a daily meal with a sandwich?

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 11:57 AM   #207
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dani View Post
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I agree.
Thanks! It is, however, still a CT. At least I bother to make some testable predictions.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 12:26 PM   #208
Axxman300
Illuminator

The FBI gunned down some Neo-Nazi planning to bomb a hospital because COVID-19 is a Jewish conspiracy:

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...nazi-chatrooms

I feel like I should find out which FBI office was involved and send them a gift certificate to replace the bullets.
Old 5th April 2020, 03:28 PM   #209
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I think you meant NOT take it. And it's all tied into Bill Gates, of course.
Here's an actual example.
Yep Bill Gates co hosted a excercise based on a cornavirus outbreak last year.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:55 PM   #210
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

The conspiracy theory is spreading. It is disallowed to post that theory here?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woody-har...ies-tied-to-5g
Former “Cheers” TV star Woody Harrelson recently posted a report “about the negative effects of 5G” and its supposed role in the coronavirus pandemic to his more than 2 million Instagram followers.

“I haven’t fully vetted it I find it very interesting,” he wrote of the report claiming “5G radiation” is “exacerbating” the contagion’s spread and making it more lethal.

...Professor Stephen Powis, the UK’s national medical director, called the theories “outrageous” and “absolute and utter rubbish.”
Old 5th April 2020, 11:04 PM   #211
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Why not post it to the existing coronavirus consiracy thread.

You know, over in the Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theory sub-forum.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:58 AM   #212
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Former “Cheers” TV star Woody Harrelson recently posted a report “about the negative effects of 5G” and its supposed role in the coronavirus pandemic to his more than 2 million Instagram followers.

“I haven’t fully vetted it I find it very interesting,” he wrote of the report claiming “5G radiation” is “exacerbating” the contagion’s spread and making it more lethal.

...Professor Stephen Powis, the UK’s national medical director, called the theories “outrageous” and “absolute and utter rubbish.”
You were already told not to post silly theories about EM radiation and coronavirus earlier in this thread, had your earlier post about it edited, and told to take it to the relevant conspiracy theory section of the website.

There's enough speculation going on without this kind of nonsense polluting the thread.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 05:46 AM   #213
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Where's out resident 5G nut?
Would you be referring to me?

Since I have been saying for over a year that cell towers and cell phones slowly degrade not only our immune systems but our overall health. And I have been predicting an imminent pandemic that will make global changes to our social systems to reduce the impact of overpopulation on climate and pollution.

Everything I have said is evidence based. Personal evidence so it is disregarded on a forum like this. But if my prediction about the pandemic has come about, then my prediction that cell EMFs will be found to be a contributing factor may also come about. My prediction about a revolt against telcos seems to have some support.

What is interesting is that Reddit censored the suggestion someone made about 5G and Covid and this forum deleted a post of mine about it because it was deemed "crazy" and that Youtube is censoring any such suggestions. Fear that there is some truth?
Old 6th April 2020, 05:47 AM   #214
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Why not post it to the existing coronavirus consiracy thread.

You know, over in the Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theory sub-forum.
Thanks. Have done so.
Old 6th April 2020, 06:22 AM   #215
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

But if my prediction about the pandemic has come about
Did you also predict that there would also eventually be a volcanic eruption and an earthquake somewhere in the world? Because those would be equally impressive predictions.

Quote:
What is interesting is that Reddit censored the suggestion someone made about 5G and Covid and this forum deleted a post of mine about it because it was deemed "crazy" and that Youtube is censoring any such suggestions. Fear that there is some truth?
More likely fear that morons would swallow this BS and set fire to more vital infrastructure and threaten and abuse more key workers, like they recently did here in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358
Old 6th April 2020, 06:47 AM   #216
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Did you also predict that there would also eventually be a volcanic eruption and an earthquake somewhere in the world? Because those would be equally impressive predictions.

More likely fear that morons would swallow this BS and set fire to more vital infrastructure and threaten and abuse more key workers, like they recently did here in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358
Yeah its all great fun to make up some ******* conspiracy theory on the internet, until people start taking it seriously and you wind up with people attacked and infrastructure damaged.
Old 6th April 2020, 07:17 AM   #217
Azrael 5
Philosopher

It's offical you cant catch Coronavirus so says this Aussie guy in his front room,who also says earth is flat etc etc.

https://jamiefreeman.news/you-cannot...4AG7DOOUzTthmY
Old 6th April 2020, 08:19 AM   #218
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

What's interesting is how often fringe theorists think that the reason everyone thinks they're crazy is because they're actually not crazy. Which is in itself crazy logic.

"I've got a crazy idea, but the moderators on some skeptical forum with a few hundred active users told me to take my ideas out of the science forum and into the conspiracy theory forum, that's evidence my idea isn't crazy and they're afraid of the truth!" is not a rational approach to the matter. It's the kind of inside-out thinking typical of the lunatic fringe.

Perhaps Reddit, YouTube, etc., are shutting down these crazy ideas, because they're dangerous. There's a lot of dangerous nonsense being promoted about COVID-19, at the expense of useful medical and scientific knowledge.

You're not a modern day Galileo being persecuted and censored by the powers that be. Just another fringe theorist on the Internet, no different than the bigfooters, Ufologists, 911 truthers, etc.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 6th April 2020 at 08:21 AM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 09:53 AM   #219
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Coronavirus: Scientists brand 5G claims 'complete rubbish'

Quote:
"The idea that 5G lowers your immune system doesn't stand up to scrutiny," Dr Clarke says.
"Your immune system can be dipped by all sorts of thing - by being tired one day, or not having a good diet. Those fluctuations aren't huge but can make you more susceptible to catching viruses."
While very strong radio waves can cause heating, 5G is nowhere near strong enough to heat people up enough to have any meaningful effect.

"Radio waves can disrupt your physiology as they heat you up, meaning your immune system can't function. But [the energy levels from] 5G radio waves are tiny and they are nowhere near strong enough to affect the immune system. There have been lots of studies on this."

The radio waves involved in 5G and other mobile phone technology sit on the low frequency end of the electromagnetic spectrum. Less powerful than visible light, they are not strong enough to damage cells - unlike radiation at the higher frequency end of the spectrum which includes the sun's rays and medical x-rays.
The hilighted has been pointed out to PartSkeptic numerous times.
Old 6th April 2020, 10:48 AM   #220
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Woody Harrelson's dad also killed JFK. I bet you didn't know that!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 03:01 PM   #221
Venom
Illuminator

Pretty soon everything will be "man made".
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 03:30 PM   #222
catsmate
No longer the 1

Harrelson is an idiot of old, 5G had absolutely nothing to do with Covid-19 or any imaginary ailments invented by nuts.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 05:09 PM   #223
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Harrelson is an idiot of old, 5G had absolutely nothing to do with Covid-19 or any imaginary ailments invented by nuts.

Maybe some allergies though.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 11:07 PM   #224
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

But if my prediction about the pandemic has come about,
Just for the record this, recently posted to the science thread, is what a real prediction looks like:

https://cmr.asm.org/content/20/4/660

Quote:
The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored.
Published in 2007, and I'm damn sure no Tarot cards were required.
Old 7th April 2020, 07:49 AM   #225
Azrael 5
Philosopher

WHy is this frontline Doctor allowed to spout such garbage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrAbQbhgZCU
Old 7th April 2020, 08:05 AM   #226
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
WHy is this frontline Doctor allowed to spout such garbage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrAbQbhgZCU
Who would have the authority to stop him?
Old 7th April 2020, 08:43 AM   #227
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Maybe some allergies though.
Allergies exacerbate Covid-19 or 5G exacerbates allergies?
Old 7th April 2020, 09:14 AM   #228
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Who would have the authority to stop him?
You Tube? It's a commercial company. The First Amendment does not apply.
Old 7th April 2020, 10:35 AM   #229
Azrael 5
Philosopher

ANyone wanting to lose their mind for a while and get very annoyed posibly?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Stop...epa=SEARCH_BOX
Old 7th April 2020, 11:39 AM   #230
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Allergies exacerbate Covid-19 or 5G exacerbates allergies?

Allergies by nuts.
Old 7th April 2020, 07:04 PM   #231
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Are you baking your own bread? Maybe you should be. NYC restaurants close and Covid-19 infections skyrocket. Could someone at the bread factory have the virus? If you must display symptoms before receiving a test, yet asymptomatic people can transmit the virus. How do we know our common household bread has not been contaminated? How many New Yorkers supplemented or substituted a daily meal with a sandwich?

Chris B.
Ok, here's the skinny...
Big Yeast.
Either by accident, or intent (there's your CT), "BY" created the C19.
It was a mature sourdough mother that mutated and soon thereafter escaped the kitchens.
I can't disclose the location... in fact, I shouldn't have said this much.
Perhaps later, if I get the chanc

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 07:22 PM   #232
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

The only conspiracy theory that seems to hold some weight is that the Chinese studies of bat viruses and how they could communicate SARS-like coronavirus to humans was being done in Wuhan- very close to that wet market. This is fact and can be easily looked up.

I mentioned a week or 2 ago (in the other thread) an ad recruiting for post-doctorates to help the 'bat' lab in Wuhan. It was posted in November. I thought it could just be coincidence. Now I am not so sure!
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 09:48 PM   #233
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I don't think it's a coincidence that a lab studying something is close to where that something is most likely to occur. Where better to put it?
Old 7th April 2020, 10:03 PM   #234
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Would you be referring to me?

Since I have been saying for over a year that cell towers and cell phones slowly degrade not only our immune systems but our overall health. And I have been predicting an imminent pandemic that will make global changes to our social systems to reduce the impact of overpopulation on climate and pollution.

Everything I have said is evidence based. Personal evidence so it is disregarded on a forum like this. But if my prediction about the pandemic has come about, then my prediction that cell EMFs will be found to be a contributing factor may also come about. My prediction about a revolt against telcos seems to have some support.

I knew it, 5G caused the 1918/19 flu, which killed the Uncle I never met.

Is this why idiots are attacking cell towers - what about windmills and cancer.

Quote:
Everything I have said is evidence based.
Where are you hiding the evidence?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 10:22 PM   #235
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

I don't think it's a coincidence that a lab studying something is close to where that something is most likely to occur. Where better to put it?
Exactly what I thought. Except the bats they study are in a different province of China--to the South --hours away. They take samples and bring them back. I thought it was just the blood/dna but perhaps the live specimens as well. The market though was only ~350 meters away from the Wuhan lab.

There is more but I'll wait for more info. Patient zero may have been a researcher there. Or the bats may have been sold after studies were done. It is just so coincidental for a country so large to have happened in the same place.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 10:40 PM   #236
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Hmm. I presume the bats they study are the ones that end up (or are likely to infect the animals that end up) in the market?

Close to where the actual transfer would be likely to take place still seems like a sensible place to put the research lab to me. A large city is also going to have the staff/facilities a lab needs, the bat caves themselves are probably in the back end of nowhere.
Old 7th April 2020, 11:09 PM   #237
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Hmm. I presume the bats they study are the ones that end up (or are likely to infect the animals that end up) in the market?

Close to where the actual transfer would be likely to take place still seems like a sensible place to put the research lab to me. A large city is also going to have the staff/facilities a lab needs, the bat caves themselves are probably in the back end of nowhere.
I understand it is not a smoking gun but it does make me curious as to how they were in the same location. The odds are perhaps weirder than you think.

To put it in U.K. perspective, imagine the diseased bats were all near Kew Gardens and wet markets were located at every Tesco. Many Tescos sold bats, some more than others, but it was countrywide, as it happens to be in China.
Then imagine the main lab that investigated bat viruses was in Newcastle. You learn a new deadly bat virus emerges from the Tesco in Newcastle, infects and kills many there, and then spreads to the world. Strange, yes?
Old 9th April 2020, 07:55 AM   #238
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

A prediction of an unspecified pandemic at an unspecified date is about as unimpressive as such predictions get. To be at all of interest it would need to specify at least one of the following:

1. The date and duration of the pandemic, accurate to within at least a year

2. The nature of the pandemic

3. The final death toll

PartSkeptic got (1) wrong, made no attempt at (2), and so far at least looks likely to be way off on (3). So his hit rate is currently in line with his previous hit rate, i.e. pathetic.

If the global population drops below 5 billion any time in the next five years, PS, by all means come back and gloat about how right you were to the two thirds of us who remain (assuming you're not one of the unlucky third yourself, of course). Until then, you got nothing.
Not to mention all the conditional wafflings, like these-
Quote:
29/09/2019
One communication (with confirmatory events following it) was that there will soon be a big reduction in population. God will not let humankind destroy the world he has made. "Soon" meaning in time to make a difference.

30/09/2019
God only intervenes for small personal requests that are easy to do and difficult to prove his/her existence, or the intervention is to guide the destiny of humankind.

These last interventions can different forms. One is that he can do nothing to prevent a pandemic like the Black Plague. Another is that he can stop a pandemic from spreading at a time it would direct humankind in the wrong direction. He is going to do nothing to stop the pending die-off which has already started but people are ignoring it and will ignore it until too late.

09/01/2020
At the moment, we are overdue for a global pandemic. Why has it not happened? Is God delaying it by subtle interventions that prevent a calamitous spread? The interventions required are on such a small and unseen scale we cannot know. I reckon God is allowing a slow thinning of the population to give humankind time to adjust to a new reality. The slow thinning is cell phone radiation degrading immune systems, increasing infertility and leading to a lower life expectancy.
-where god maybe is doing this or possibly doing that, make the "predictions" about as usefully precise as a Chinese fortune cookie.

"There is death in the future, unless god wills otherwise! Then maybe it's just a mild cold. Also, no snowflake is responsible in an avalanche, and that wasn't really chicken in your General Tso's."

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 11:01 AM   #239
dann
Penultimate Amazing

If God exists ...

OK, then we can rest assured that it won't happen.
Are you aware of the expected death toll of this pandemic? It won't be a pleasant experience for the people who end up on ventilators or even die, but it's not exactly a pandemic of biblical proportions.
And why does your God primarily kill the elderly and the infirm this time? They wouldn't go on polluting for long anyway. Why not go for the first-born sons? Or maybe the stepmothers, stepsons and all other kinds of step-relatives? They seem to be doing an awful lot of step-sinning these days.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 12:12 PM   #240
Axxman300
Illuminator

A few years ago I went back to college. One of the things we learned in Environmental Science was we could expect more pandemics as animal viruses make the jump to humans. Predicting a pandemic is like predicting earthquakes in California, Japan, or Indonesia. There's a 50/50 chance of being right any day of the week.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories