ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 13th March 2020, 11:41 PM   #201
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Now the company [whogivesacrap] is out of stock of TP. Has been for a week or more.
Actually, they aren’t. They are not taking new subscribers, who are signing up to panic-buy, so they can continue to supply their existing customers.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 11:55 PM   #202
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Mothers of Invention

Ha! Now we can keep our borders closed forever!

Quote:
Tre kvinder er gået på jagt efter investorer til deres bæredygtige hygiejnebind. Da de ikke kunne finde produktet i butikkerne, gik de i gang med selv at udvikle det.
Studerende udvikler bæredygtige hygiejnebind af danske planter

Three women have started looking for investors for their sustainable sanitary napkins. Since they couldn't find the product in the shops, they began to develop it themselves.
Students develop sustainable sanitary napkins from Danish plants
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 01:57 AM   #203
AnonyMoose
Muse

Welp... it's official, the end of the world is nigh.

Watching my local news, apparently Canadians are now panic buying too. Hour-long lineups, pushing, shoving, and almost getting into fist fights at the stores. Interviewing people in the parking lots, they're all complaining about how rude people have gotten.

When Canadians start getting rude with each other, pushing and shoving their way into line.... you know it's truly the end of the world.

*sniffle*
Old 14th March 2020, 06:39 AM   #204
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Welp... it's official, the end of the world is nigh.

Watching my local news, apparently Canadians are now panic buying too. Hour-long lineups, pushing, shoving, and almost getting into fist fights at the stores. Interviewing people in the parking lots, they're all complaining about how rude people have gotten.

When Canadians start getting rude with each other, pushing and shoving their way into line.... you know it's truly the end of the world.

*sniffle*
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 14th March 2020, 10:13 AM   #205
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Grocery stores now sold out of many items, in this area (where we have no official cases yet). Some people this morning were in there buying for relatives in New York where it's harder to find stuff.

The stuff people would hoard a whole shopping cart full (pasta, rice, some canned goods), and of course toilet paper, are sold out. Most shoppers' carts were moderately full with a variety of items. That is, they didn't look like panicked hoarders loading up on one thing or a few things, but instead people doing their weekly shopping early. Some of them were probably people who don't typically do "weekly" shopping but instead run in for what they need every couple days, but today they're making an exception.

There was a rumor, though, that a couple of customers at the nearby Walmart got into a fight over some item last night.

Yesterday afternoon it wasn't clear that the empty shelf sections at Aldi were due to them actually being short of items, rather than just being too busy to restock because of the large number of customers. But very few items were restocked (and those, only in small amounts) for this morning.

Stocking up on (not hoarding) food seems completely sensible to me, under the circumstances. There's no issue with the food supply, the shortages are short-term, and even in most places where "everything" is closed, grocery stores (along with drugstores and gas stations) stay open. But people are expecting to isolate themselves for two weeks or more in the near future, either because they get the disease and don't want to spread it, or to protect themselves from getting it. If everything is closed except grocery stores, guess where the disease is going to spread. People are stocking up now because they don't want to have to make grocery runs later, not because they think they won't be able to.
Old 14th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #206
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Grocery stores now sold out of many items, in this area (where we have no official cases yet). Some people this morning were in there buying for relatives in New York where it's harder to find stuff.

The stuff people would hoard a whole shopping cart full (pasta, rice, some canned goods), and of course toilet paper, are sold out. Most shoppers' carts were moderately full with a variety of items. That is, they didn't look like panicked hoarders loading up on one thing or a few things, but instead people doing their weekly shopping early. Some of them were probably people who don't typically do "weekly" shopping but instead run in for what they need every couple days, but today they're making an exception.

There was a rumor, though, that a couple of customers at the nearby Walmart got into a fight over some item last night.

Yesterday afternoon it wasn't clear that the empty shelf sections at Aldi were due to them actually being short of items, rather than just being too busy to restock because of the large number of customers. But very few items were restocked (and those, only in small amounts) for this morning.

Stocking up on (not hoarding) food seems completely sensible to me, under the circumstances. There's no issue with the food supply, the shortages are short-term, and even in most places where "everything" is closed, grocery stores (along with drugstores and gas stations) stay open. But people are expecting to isolate themselves for two weeks or more in the near future, either because they get the disease and don't want to spread it, or to protect themselves from getting it. If everything is closed except grocery stores, guess where the disease is going to spread. People are stocking up now because they don't want to have to make grocery runs later, not because they think they won't be able to.
OK, Boomer Hoarder!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 10:31 AM   #207
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
OK, Boomer Hoarder!

Say what now? I never humored a border in my life.
Old 14th March 2020, 10:38 AM   #208
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Water is the one that concerns me. That one brings a lot more visceral anxiety than a lot of the other "supplies" snagged as a "hedging my bets" move.

I certainly could see a lot of fist fights over that if tgere are big gaps in availability.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 10:43 AM   #209
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Water is the one that concerns me. That one brings a lot more visceral anxiety than a lot of the other "supplies" snagged as a "hedging my bets" move.

I certainly could see a lot of fist fights over that if tgere are big gaps in availability.
I can’t see a virus shutting down municipal water supplies.
Old 14th March 2020, 10:51 AM   #210
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If it got very bad it could result in water processing facilities shutting down, but I'm certain that if that happened the government would draft people in. Perhaps if you had a plumbing problem either in the street or internally you may find it takes much longer to get it resolved . But remember most people are going to get little to no symptoms so we wont see terrible disruption to essential services like power and water.
Old 14th March 2020, 11:35 AM   #211
AnonyMoose
Muse

A Dutch toilet paper warehouse worker taunting and laughing at the TP hoarders:

Hardy har har

Priceless.
Old 14th March 2020, 12:11 PM   #212
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Oh, I was assuming rationality would have nothing to do with it.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 12:39 PM   #213
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

I couldn't agree more. Hoarding more than one can reasonably use is selfish and irresponsible, but making sure one can go a couple of weeks withoug going to the shop if necessary is simple common sense.
Old 14th March 2020, 12:45 PM   #214
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If it got very bad it could result in water processing facilities shutting down, but I'm certain that if that happened the government would draft people in. Perhaps if you had a plumbing problem either in the street or internally you may find it takes much longer to get it resolved . But remember most people are going to get little to no symptoms so we wont see terrible disruption to essential services like power and water.

The only thing that would faze me would be a lack of electricity. I wouldn't be able to keep warm or heat food or water with only a gas fire in a large living room. And the food in my freezer would spoil. My emergency plan for no electricity in cold weather has been to go to neighbours who have a log-fuelled stove, but I'm not planning to go near people if I can help it if this lot gets bad. But I think electricity will be the main priority for keeping things going. At least we're heading into warmer weather. Today was horrible.

I don't think water will be an issue either but the emergency plan for that involves the river and a bucket. And electricity to boil the stuff if possible.
Old 14th March 2020, 12:47 PM   #215
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I just came from the grocery store. Western New York State, and sections looked like a set from a zombie apocalypse movie. The store was sold out of flour. Do people think that we're going to have to start baking our own bread?
Just made some of my award winning rye ciabatta so I can use it on my award winning Ruben sandwiches made with pastramized corn beef brisket that's been sitting in my freezer for a year which was on hellacious sale after St. Paddy's Day. I will stock up again this year once the St. Paddy's day celebrations are over.

Three weeks ago I bought a 20 pound bag of Jasmin rice and divvied it up into 7 freezer bags (like I always do) and I believe that I am currently on bag 6 of 7 so all good there. I was a bit concerned about my dried beans allotment but then I remembered last year when a local market was changing owners I scored a 6 lb 12 oz. (3 kg) can of black beans for some ridiculous price like $2.50! And I bought the same size can of corn which was right next to it because why not?

And this morning I snagged the last pack of Charmin Mega 16=64 Ultra Soft TP which makes me the King of the Hill in my town! You want anything done in this town, you better talk to me!!

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ... cough ...!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 01:19 PM   #216
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Just made some of my award winning rye ciabatta so I can use it on my award winning Ruben sandwiches made with pastramized corn beef brisket that's been sitting in my freezer for a year which was on hellacious sale after St. Paddy's Day. I will stock up again this year once the St. Paddy's day celebrations are over.

Three weeks ago I bought a 20 pound bag of Jasmin rice and divvied it up into 7 freezer bags (like I always do) and I believe that I am currently on bag 6 of 7 so all good there. I was a bit concerned about my dried beans allotment but then I remembered last year when a local market was changing owners I scored a 6 lb 12 oz. (3 kg) can of black beans for some ridiculous price like $2.50! And I bought the same size can of corn which was right next to it because why not?

And this morning I snagged the last pack of Charmin Mega 16=64 Ultra Soft TP which makes me the King of the Hill in my town! You want anything done in this town, you better talk to me!!

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ... cough ...!
We'll be right over.
snik-snik-chk-chk-click!
Old 14th March 2020, 01:30 PM   #217
Steve
Philosopher

Oh, I was assuming rationality would have nothing to do with it.
Point accepted.
Old 14th March 2020, 01:47 PM   #218
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
My boss' brother drives delivery trucks for Wegmans, a regional supermarket chain. This morning, people were lining up to grab toilet paper before it could be unloaded from the shipping pallets.
I just got back from the Canandaigua, NY Wegmans. Idiots bought up all the bottles of Witch Hazel! Meats, vegetable, pasta, spaghetti sauces, TP, tissues, rice, butter, margarine all sold out.

People are still polite and joking but it won't be long till it turns ugly.

My mom is a hoarder. We have staples and TP supplies for months. Children of the Depression are in their glory.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Wolrab; 14th March 2020 at 01:49 PM.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 02:37 PM   #219
Garrison
Philosopher

I work in a team that does request management for a major engineering firm, handling software and hardware requests. All week we've been snowed under with requests for laptops, remote access software and security tokens. Friday they slapped down new financial restrictions and told us to start rejecting hardware requests. So yeah shoppers at the supermarket not the only ones panic buying.
Old 14th March 2020, 03:04 PM   #220
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I work in a team that does request management for a major engineering firm, handling software and hardware requests. All week we've been snowed under with requests for laptops, remote access software and security tokens. Friday they slapped down new financial restrictions and told us to start rejecting hardware requests. So yeah shoppers at the supermarket not the only ones panic buying.
I don't think remote working requests are a function of panic buying so much as a necessity if many more people are suddenly expected to work from home. I expect to see many, many company hacks due to poor security from hastily set up systems.
Old 14th March 2020, 03:20 PM   #221
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I can. But it would have to be a lot worse than this one.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 03:23 PM   #222
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the reason for the whole TP hysteria. If we're going to be locked up in our homes, we might as well get some pleasure out of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CaptureBearstp.JPG (63.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 14th March 2020, 03:41 PM   #223
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Here's the reason for the whole TP hysteria. If we're going to be locked up in our homes, we might as well get some pleasure out of it.
Always makes me think of this:

http://chainsawsuit.com/comic/2015/0...-in-the-woods/
Old 14th March 2020, 03:52 PM   #224
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Water doesn't bother me.

I have about 7,000 gallons of rainwater.

(All I have to do is open one valve and my whole place switches to rain water.)

Cut off the gas and electricity? Then I guess I'll have to use my camping stoves and barbecues (lots of wood on my little block too).

I can run the water circulation on my solar hot water heater with a single 12 volt solar panel (100 gallons in the storage tank)

My biggest concern is that some clown will try to steal my chickens and partridges.
Old 14th March 2020, 04:10 PM   #225
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
My biggest concern is that some clown will try to steal my chickens and partridges.
Really? My problem is that chickens and partridges keep flying in and stealing my clowns. They swoop down and snatch them right out of the exercise yard. They've even broken into the clown coop a couple of times. I'm considering moving them to more secure clown quarters, but then I won't be able to market them as free-range clowns.
Old 14th March 2020, 04:42 PM   #226
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Really? My problem is that chickens and partridges keep flying in and stealing my clowns. They swoop down and snatch them right out of the exercise yard. They've even broken into the clown coop a couple of times. I'm considering moving them to more secure clown quarters, but then I won't be able to market them as free-range clowns.
Just throw them into the clown car. They'll be OK.
Old 14th March 2020, 05:33 PM   #227
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Once I start running low on the 22 lbs of turkey I;ll have to go full Keto. There's a 50 lb block of beef shortening on the kitchen floor.

Serious advice: Don't be throwing any grease away if starvation is a real possibility. Garden trimmings are probably edible deep fat fried and with enough salt.

Can you do green Loquats like fried green tomatoes?
Old 14th March 2020, 06:34 PM   #228
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Went to our supermarket today. No TP and no tissues. A few other bare spots. Hope the problem is solved soon.
Old 14th March 2020, 07:00 PM   #229
Steve
Philosopher

Went to Canadian tire today for light bulbs. There was a pallet of tp near the entrance. Limit one 12 pack per customer. We have a good supply at home but I bought one “just in case”.
Old 14th March 2020, 08:38 PM   #230
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Reported!
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 08:39 PM   #231
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Reported!
I was worried about that when I posted.
Old 14th March 2020, 08:43 PM   #232
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Went to Canadian tire today for light bulbs. There was a pallet of tp near the entrance. Limit one 12 pack per customer. We have a good supply at home but I bought one “just in case”.
Shocking. Truely shocking.

I for one haven't forgotten the true horror.

The world descending into hell in ten years.

People conveniently forget the carbon footprint of toilet paper makery.

I rush out and wipe against my neighbour's apple tree.

Slight chaffing, but it is an ends to the means
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 08:50 PM   #233
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Shocking. Truely shocking.

I for one haven't forgotten the true horror.

The world descending into hell in ten years.

People conveniently forget the carbon footprint of toilet paper makery.

I rush out and wipe against my neighbour's apple tree.

Slight chaffing, but it is an ends to the means
My neighbour has no apple tree.
Old 14th March 2020, 09:18 PM   #234
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

TP is short supply, grocery had none, and we were down to 2 rolls so..

I went to the local convenience store and the Iranian man sold me 3 rolls of single wrap TP, made in Thailand.

Actually, after commiserating about how he had to argue a woman in the aisle of the supply store for the 'right' to buy (though there was supply left) and showing me a video, he just gave me the rolls...no charge.

Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 09:22 PM   #235
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

We return you now to the days of yesteryear: Wash cloths and diaper pails.
Old 14th March 2020, 09:33 PM   #236
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Pretty weird.

Not sure about other places, but people are bulk buying the stuff.

It is getting a bit silly.
Replace "pretty weird" with "severely stupid" and "a bit silly" with "completely insane" and you're a lot closer to the mark.

A lot of people are morons and these are the same ones who seem to breed like cockroaches. This is news? These are the same village idiots who buy TP, milk and bread like a nuclear holocaust is about to happen when the weather calls for a snow storm, as if it's going to isolate them from the world for months.

But! I suspect the militia men and germaphobes are partying like it's 19....uhh 2020.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 09:37 PM   #237
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Quite weird

No one will know where I am talking about so

Johnsonville and Newlands (wellington)

One small hill separates both. (About 5 minutes drive)

Johnsonville massive supermarkets out of bog roll. Empty shelves.

Newlands tiny one all is normal. Packed shelves.

Verdict. Newlands people are less dim the Johnsonville people.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 09:40 PM   #238
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
...Children of the Depression are in their glory.
R U kidding? They're in the zone!*

*unlike the Boomers who could never deny themselves any bit of self-indulgence. But it was all to set us free!!
Old 14th March 2020, 10:19 PM   #239
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Strangely in the supermarket the rice aisle (with an a!) was stocked as usual.
All the large quantity rice and dry beans were gone in the grocery store, as were the toilet paper.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 10:38 PM   #240
crackers
Muse

Same at my local grocery store. Milk and eggs gone too, and not much pasta left.
crackers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events