ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Old 23rd May 2020, 01:09 AM   #2521
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Fun fact: Botswana is ranked 30th on the Global Peace Index. The United States is ranked 128.

Just saying.
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:23 AM   #2522
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Fun fact: Botswana is ranked 30th on the Global Peace Index. The United States is ranked 128.

Just saying.
Would you care to elucidate as to why this might be relevant to this conversation?

A quick glance would suggest that only 5 of the indicators, from 23 measured, would have any relevance and even then I can't, quickly, see how they affected the ranking.
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:32 AM   #2523
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Would you care to elucidate as to why this might be relevant to this conversation?
It seems to me no less relevant than, say, Arbery having been convicted of petty theft as a teenager.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:04 AM   #2524
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It seems to me no less relevant than, say, Arbery having been convicted of petty theft as a teenager.

Dave
No argument from me on that score, so I look forward to reading Squeegee Beckenheims response.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 23rd May 2020 at 02:06 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:37 AM   #2525
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post

A quick glance would suggest that only 5 of the indicators, from 23 measured, would have any relevance and even then I can't, quickly, see how they affected the ranking.
Assuming that you're not just trying to pick yet another pointless and meritless fight, the posts preceding mine were dealing with the question of whether or not black people are genetically more inclined to violence than white people, in the same way that some dog breeds are more aggressive than others.

A nation with a almost entirely black population ranking very highly on the Global Peace Index would suggest that perhaps black people are not inherently more violent than white people and that other factors are in fact in play, would it not? Similarly, the majority-white Russia ranking 154 out of 163 might suggest the same.
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:48 AM   #2526
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Assuming that you're not just trying to pick yet another pointless and meritless fight, the posts preceding mine were dealing with the question of whether or not black people are genetically more inclined to violence than white people, in the same way that some dog breeds are more aggressive than others.

A nation with a almost entirely black population ranking very highly on the Global Peace Index would suggest that perhaps black people are not inherently more violent than white people and that other factors are in fact in play, would it not? Similarly, the majority-white Russia ranking 154 out of 163 might suggest the same.
I noticed that The Gambia ranks highly too, I've been there a couple of times and can honestly say I've rarely felt so safe, even out on foot at night. When you take the level of poverty into account as well it was particularly impressive.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:00 AM   #2527
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Indeed, but that is how they spell it!
Yeah, I looked it up..

It goes way back when pedants didn't exist..
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:43 AM   #2528
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Leave it up to those Alabamians to not know how to spell mussel.

They named it before people got so anal about having a particular, perfect way to spell each and every word.

If you spend a bit of time looking at place names you'll find many similar examples.

And they won't all be in the American South.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:52 AM   #2529
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
100% true statement and I get the rolly-eyes?
Yes.
You said:
I'm not sure I'd characterize what he was wearing as running clothes, but he may have worn that to jog or run. But if I saw someone walking down the road wearing what Arbery(sp?) was wearing I wouldn't take that as evidence he was running or jogging.
as if your opinion has some merit, rather than being another smearing attempt.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:58 AM   #2530
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
How is none of it true?
Wow, how disingenuous.
Let's look at what you said:

Because they knew he was trespassing on English's property
Reality: Untrue.

...he was trespassing on English's property

and that he had been caught on tape,

which they presumably found out about when English informed a neighbor that his camera picked up somebody there who shouldn't be there and the neighbor went to confront him and Travis pulled up and heard about what was going on and confronted him as well.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:13 AM   #2531
catsmate
No longer the 1

Just watched the video.

Now I think it's much more likely that he was up to no good in the Satilla Shores neighborhood.
Of course you do.
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:16 AM   #2532
catsmate
No longer the 1

Because

White guy "sitting alone in his car" is just a guy chilling out, listening to the radio

Black guy "sitting alone in his car" must be suspicious and a criminal who is up to go good
And certain people here buy into this narrative.
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:17 AM   #2533
catsmate
No longer the 1

His behavior in the video suggests a certain kind of character that suggests to me he's more like to be involved in criminal activity. Mode of dress, confrontational manner with police, and many more subtle behavioral cues I've picked up upon from being part of and associating with the criminal elements of society.

Why not be honest and come out and add skin colour to yours pathetic little list?
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:19 AM   #2534
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
"Because he's a villain, sir."

"A villain."

"And a jailbird sir ."

"I know he's a jailbird, Savage, he's down in the cells now. We're holding him on a charge of being caught in possession of curly black hair and thick lips."
Not to forget the offensive wife...
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:23 AM   #2535
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

Why not be honest and come out and add skin colour to yours pathetic little list?
Keep your racism out of the thread please.
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:14 AM   #2536
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Keep your racism out of the thread please.
When you gloss over actual and blatant racist statements from other posters who just so happen to be on the same side of the issue as you, crap like this really falls flat.

Also, when someone claims that “subtle behavioral cues” of which apparently only they have the expertise to discern are part of what makes them think a black guy looks suspicious, it seems kind of racist.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:20 AM   #2537
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Nobody buys the "People who point out racism are the real racist!" dog whistle except racists.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:47 AM   #2538
johnny karate

As I say, I don't disagree that the corruption could go that high. I just think that if it is, the international attention might cause them to do this one by the book.

Then again, brazenly getting away with racism and corruption isn't exactly unheard of in the US these days.
I share JoeMorgue’s concern.

I think the big problem isn’t so much how effectively this case is prosecuted, but rather the jury pool in that part of the country.

Look no further than this case as an example of what I’m talking about.

Bullet points:

White guy shoots up a car full of black teenagers over a dispute about loud music, killing one of them.

White guy flees the scene and is apprehended sometime later 200 miles away.

White guy claims self-defense.

During the trial, every bit of evidence that could corroborate his self-defense claim is refuted.

And the jury still came back hung on the first degree murder charge.

Luckily, he was retried and found guilty, and is now rotting in prison.

When you look at the details of this case, it’s mind-boggling that any juror could come back with anything other than guilty on the murder charge.

But then when you consider that the trial took place in Florida, it becomes easier to understand.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:29 AM   #2539
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
When you gloss over actual and blatant racist statements from other posters who just so happen to be on the same side of the issue as you, crap like this really falls flat.
There are a lot of posts which contain points with which I disagree in this 65 page thread. Of course, I don't respond to them all, but that isn't evidence of tacit agreement. If you think that's a good line of argumentation, realize that it applies to yourself as well. There are plenty of statements to which you've given no reply. Can I attribute all of those thoughts to you?

Quote:
Also, when someone claims that “subtle behavioral cues” of which apparently only they have the expertise to discern are part of what makes them think a black guy looks suspicious, it seems kind of racist.
Some of them were not so subtle. Some of them were more subtle and based on my particular experiences with and among the criminal element, and some were probably so subtle that my lizard brain picked up on them and I was not even consciously aware. It's a sort of profiling that we all do, based in part on evolution, and in part on our personal experience. We all know this, although some of us like to pretend we don't.

I don't know why you keep referring to Arbery just as "a black guy" as if that's all that matters about him. Do you think all black guys are the same?
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:34 PM   #2540
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Amy I misreading, or did I just see that the proof one one's non-racism is based on the presumption that the victim was part of the "criminal element" but the murderers were not?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:40 PM   #2541
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Amy I misreading, or did I just see that the proof one one's non-racism is based on the presumption that the victim was part of the "criminal element" but the murderers were not?
You're misreading, badly.
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:48 PM   #2542
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You're misreading, badly.
Good. It's hard to tell sometimes.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:17 PM   #2543
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Good. It's hard to tell sometimes.
It shouldn't be that hard.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:14 PM   #2544
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It shouldn't be that hard.
Well that happens when people speak in code and dog whistles and the only skill they ever bothered to learn in life is how to be impossible to talk to or reason with.

I eagerly and humbly await your "I know you are but what am I" response.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:23 PM   #2545
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well that happens when people speak in code and dog whistles and the only skill they ever bothered to learn in life is how to be impossible to talk to or reason with.
You've got no evidence I'm speaking in code, and if anyone else is I'm unaware. Either I'm not familiar with the code, or you're imagining things. Or, perhaps you're speaking in some sort of secret code.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:38 PM   #2546
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Or, perhaps you're speaking in some sort of secret code.
*Slow clap*
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:46 PM   #2547
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

*Slow clap*
After your little rant, it turn out you have nothing but an "I know you are but what am I" response.

Well, enjoy arguing with your imaginary dogwhistlin' debate partner. He seems to show up in every thread that you do.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:49 PM   #2548
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Or, perhaps you're speaking in some sort of secret code.
The only posters speaking in codes and dog-whistles in this thread are the racists (except Skeptic Tank, who is an open, admitted racist, and much as I despise his vile viewpoints, at least he has the balls not hide them behind bull-**** and double-talk!)

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:03 PM   #2549
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Because

White guy "sitting alone in his car" is just a guy chilling out, listening to the radio

Black guy "sitting alone in his car" must be suspicious and a criminal who is up to go good
And certain people here buy into this narrative.

But ... but ...

He was wearing a ... jacket!!!

(Good thing he wasn't wearing a hoodie. They would have shot him on the spot, and then asked what he was doing there.)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:04 PM   #2550
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

The only posters speaking in codes and dog-whistles in this thread are the racists (except Skeptic Tank, who is an open, admitted racist, and much as I despise his vile viewpoints, at least he has the balls not hide them behind bull-**** and double-talk!)
Maybe you'll be the one to come up with the evidence.
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:11 PM   #2551
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Maybe you'll be the one to come up with the evidence.
Quote:
His behavior in the video suggests a certain kind of character that suggests to me he's more like to be involved in criminal activity. Mode of dress, confrontational manner with police, and many more subtle behavioral cues I've picked up upon from being part of and associating with the criminal elements of society.
You’re welcome.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:14 PM   #2552
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I share JoeMorgue’s concern.

I think the big problem isn’t so much how effectively this case is prosecuted, but rather the jury pool in that part of the country.

Look no further than this case as an example of what I’m talking about.

Bullet points:

White guy shoots up a car full of black teenagers over a dispute about loud music, killing one of them.

White guy flees the scene and is apprehended sometime later 200 miles away.

White guy claims self-defense.

During the trial, every bit of evidence that could corroborate his self-defense claim is refuted.

And the jury still came back hung on the first degree murder charge.

Luckily, he was retried and found guilty, and is now rotting in prison.

When you look at the details of this case, it’s mind-boggling that any juror could come back with anything other than guilty on the murder charge.

But then when you consider that the trial took place in Florida, it becomes easier to understand.

Florida Man wishes to express his gratitude to Georgia Man for taking some of the spotlight off of him for a while.

Old 23rd May 2020, 04:38 PM   #2553
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You’re welcome.
I'm sure your imagination is working overtime with code words.
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:04 PM   #2554
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
A bigger hurdle about their claim that they thought they were pursuing a thief is the fact that he hadn't stolen anything. So they weren't.

The Georgia Citizen's Arrest laws require immediate knowledge of a crime. "We thought he did something wrong" is not "immediate knowledge."

Heck, even if he had taken a doorknob, they had no knowledge of that when they chased him.
Then the sensible thing for Arbery to do would be stop running, wait for the cops to arrive, explain that he was just out for a jog and tell the responding officer that he would like Greg and Travis to be arrested for false imprisonment.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:40 PM   #2555
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Then the sensible thing for Arbery to do would be stop running, wait for the cops to arrive, explain that he was just out for a jog...
Then it would be his word against the word of an ex-cop.

...and tell the responding officer that he would like Greg and Travis to be arrested for false imprisonment.
Yeah, that's really going to work when the cops are from a redneck state like GA.

Seriously, no black man in the south can hope or expect to ever be treated fairly by the cops.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:03 PM   #2556
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I'm sure your imagination is working overtime with code words.
You might have gotten away with your post in other threads, but not “Black While.....” ones.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:07 PM   #2557
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Then the sensible thing for Arbery to do would be stop running, wait for the cops to arrive, explain that he was just out for a jog and tell the responding officer that he would like Greg and Travis to be arrested for false imprisonment.
Did you miss the re-enactment showing he stopped, changed directions and the hillbillies kept chasing him? Did you see that Arbery had a gun pointed at him?

In other countries and in other states this may have worked, but the risk of stopping in these circumstances were ridiculously risky.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:45 PM   #2558
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Since recommending sensible conduct seems to be important here for some reason:

What would the sensible thing for the McMichaels to do, when they saw Arbery running down the street?

What would the sensible thing for William Bryan to do, when he saw the McMichaels heading off with their weapons to chase Arbery?

What would the sensible thing for the McMichaels and Bryan to do, the first time Arbery ran away from the McMichaels instead of stopping to participate in an amicable exchange of views on the street?
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:13 PM   #2559
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Since recommending sensible conduct seems to be important here for some reason:

What would the sensible thing for the McMichaels to do, when they saw Arbery running down the street?

What would the sensible thing for William Bryan to do, when he saw the McMichaels heading off with their weapons to chase Arbery?
There aren't single answers to these types of questions, but rather ranges of sensible options. Unfortunately none of them were chosen by any of the involved parties including Arbery.
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:17 PM   #2560
johnny karate

There are a lot of posts which contain points with which I disagree in this 65 page thread. Of course, I don't respond to them all, but that isn't evidence of tacit agreement. If you think that's a good line of argumentation, realize that it applies to yourself as well. There are plenty of statements to which you've given no reply. Can I attribute all of those thoughts to you?
When you see me demanding that certain statements don’t belong in a thread while ignoring actual examples of that kind of statement, feel free.

Quote:
Some of them were not so subtle. Some of them were more subtle and based on my particular experiences with and among the criminal element, and some were probably so subtle that my lizard brain picked up on them and I was not even consciously aware. It's a sort of profiling that we all do, based in part on evolution, and in part on our personal experience. We all know this, although some of us like to pretend we don't.
I use a similar method to suss out racists.

Quote:
I don't know why you keep referring to Arbery just as "a black guy" as if that's all that matters about him. Do you think all black guys are the same?
*sad trombone*

Sorry, you weren’t doing too embarrassingly bad until this clumsy overreach.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events