ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th February 2019, 01:14 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Master Classes?

Just curious, because their ads show up on YouTube commonly and apparently the cost is $90 per cost and $180 max per year. One course offers Daniel Negraenu on poker and another Ron Howard on film directing. Any personal experiences?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 03:02 AM   #2
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I've seen Daniel's ad many times (I watch a few poker vids), and thought the whole campaign was poker related.

Side thought... anyone manage to sit through an entire 5 minute Prager U ad? Gack.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Apathia
Philosopher

Neil Gaiman kept popping up on my Facebook. My estimate of him went down a notch. I blocked the ad.

My "favorite" part was when he'd tell the viewer, "If you want to be a writer, expect to be rejected."

I'd reply to the screen (because I'm the kind of loon that does that), "Why are you telling me this? I already know I'll be rejected!"

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:40 PM   #4
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I've attended two "Master Classes" one for drummers which was taught by a jazz drummer, an African drummer and an Australian Pop drummer.

It was well worth the money.

I also attended a Master Class for singers. I learned a lot, but really shouldn't have been there. Everyone else was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above my level.

Old 2nd March 2019, 12:53 AM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I've attended two "Master Classes" one for drummers which was taught by a jazz drummer, an African drummer and an Australian Pop drummer.

It was well worth the money.

I also attended a Master Class for singers. I learned a lot, but really shouldn't have been there. Everyone else was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above my level.

That's kind of the key for me. I'm a very experienced poker player and don't want to be getting Daniel Negreanu's poker 101 or even 201.

How many actual hours of instruction were there?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:34 AM   #6
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I've only seen the ads, but they certainly look like they are trying to do a good job.

I don't get this comment:
Originally Posted by Apathia
Neil Gaiman kept popping up on my Facebook. My estimate of him went down a notch.
With respect to the highlighted, why?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I've only seen the ads, but they certainly look like they are trying to do a good job.

I don't get this comment:

With respect to the highlighted, why?
Just seeing him in a Facebook ad.
I realize now that this Master Class thing is legit. It's just my cynicism to balk at anything that's chucked at me in an ad. That ad was there every time I went to FB.

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 05:50 PM   #8
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
That's kind of the key for me. I'm a very experienced poker player and don't want to be getting Daniel Negreanu's poker 101 or even 201.

How many actual hours of instruction were there?
A lot.

The drumming one was one day, but it was a long day. So maybe 8 hours of instruction?

The singing one was a weekend in the country.

In both cases, they were hands-on (voice on) style tutorials. Each segment would have a brief intro and explanation, then a lot of practice.

I turn down a lot of training courses for work, because I can see by the topics that will be covered, that those courses are not right for me.

For your Poker masterclass, hopefully you can make an initial assessment the same way?
Old 4th March 2019, 12:10 PM   #9
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
A lot.

The drumming one was one day, but it was a long day. So maybe 8 hours of instruction?

The singing one was a weekend in the country.
You may be talking about something else.

https://www.masterclass.com
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 03:56 AM   #10
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Just seeing him in a Facebook ad.
I realize now that this Master Class thing is legit. It's just my cynicism to balk at anything that's chucked at me in an ad. That ad was there every time I went to FB.
Thanks for the reply, I understand the sentiment, I get annoyed at ads too. I just figured your ire would be directed that the company and not at Neil, who I suspect has no input on these things.

I just filmed a series of online tutorials last sunday. I have no idea how they are going to handle the advertising.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 02:35 PM   #11
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
You may be talking about something else.

https://www.masterclass.com
Ah yes, that looks like a very different thing.

The whole point of a masterclass is the one on one between the students and the expert.

Nevermind.
Old 11th March 2019, 07:46 AM   #12
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Neil Gaiman kept popping up on my Facebook. My estimate of him went down a notch. I blocked the ad.

My "favorite" part was when he'd tell the viewer, "If you want to be a writer, expect to be rejected."

I'd reply to the screen (because I'm the kind of loon that does that), "Why are you telling me this? I already know I'll be rejected!"
You might be aware of this, but there are a lot of people that think that they are going to write the next Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Twilight and all they need to do is get their manuscript in front of a publisher and they'll be totally wowed by their work and instantly offer them a million dollar advance. They are the ones that the advice is for.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 08:25 AM   #13
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Thanks for the reply, I understand the sentiment, I get annoyed at ads too. I just figured your ire would be directed that the company and not at Neil, who I suspect has no input on these things.

I just filmed a series of online tutorials last sunday. I have no idea how they are going to handle the advertising.
My irrational reaction was, "Neil, why are you selling your name and face to this? But actually the this is an actual service. No ire to Neil Gaiman.

Author Unknown
Old 13th March 2019, 08:59 AM   #14
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You might be aware of this, but there are a lot of people that think that they are going to write the next Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Twilight and all they need to do is get their manuscript in front of a publisher and they'll be totally wowed by their work and instantly offer them a million dollar advance. They are the ones that the advice is for.
Indeed!

Unfortunately most of the kind of would be writers you mention above would not much benefit from a master call by a quality writer, because, apart from some rules to follow (such as never ever use passive voice) they won't understand why they are poor at clear, clean, communication.

But sometimes they do hit pay dirt when a publisher likes something about the story and can edit it beyond recognition into Hollywood formulaic. There are some big time best sellers out there.

And if you appear on the literary scene at just the right time, you can be a celebrated author, or even a literary giant such as James Fenimore Cooper.

I was born in the wrong time.

Author Unknown

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education