ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th June 2019, 02:35 PM   #1
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Why does Chrome keep "rebooting"

Something odd happening lately...I come home from work to find Chrome has exited and rebooted. What makes this really annoying is it doesn't restore my tabs. Apparently it's trying to update, as I have my PC set to any program trying to change in the Program Files folders prompts me first...and it asks if "Google Update" can run...I say no, so it doesn't update and restarts with a clean slate. But the next day I come home same thing all over again. I saw no Chrome settings to choose "don't even try to make an update" or words to that effect. Anyone know how to stop this?

PS this might not matter or be related but I noticed there are a LOT of instances of chrome.exe in the task manager, far more than my tabs account for. For ex. I currently have 3 tabs open and there are 21 instances of chrome.exe running. ?

Last edited by bigred; 13th June 2019 at 02:44 PM.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 11:46 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Check your extensions. One of them might be causing you problems. Uninstall any you do not need and if that does not work deactivate the rest of them. If that fixes the problem you can activate some until you activate the one that is giving you problems. Then uninstall it.

You could also clear your cache. Unlikely to work, but very simple and will solve many strange problems.
Old 14th June 2019, 05:36 AM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
PS this might not matter or be related but I noticed there are a LOT of instances of chrome.exe in the task manager, far more than my tabs account for. For ex. I currently have 3 tabs open and there are 21 instances of chrome.exe running. ?
It's perfectly normal for the Chrome browser to appear many times in the Task Manager.

https://www.howtogeek.com/124218/why...open-processes
Old 14th June 2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Something odd happening lately...I come home from work to find Chrome has exited and rebooted. What makes this really annoying is it doesn't restore my tabs. Apparently it's trying to update, as I have my PC set to any program trying to change in the Program Files folders prompts me first...and it asks if "Google Update" can run...I say no, so it doesn't update and restarts with a clean slate. But the next day I come home same thing all over again. I saw no Chrome settings to choose "don't even try to make an update" or words to that effect. Anyone know how to stop this?

You may want to try a 'factory reset' as well
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 02:11 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's perfectly normal for the Chrome browser to appear many times in the Task Manager.

https://www.howtogeek.com/124218/why...open-processes
12 times for me right at the moment.

I also see a process related to an office suite we haven't used in seven or eight years. Guess I should see if I can get rid of that.
Old 14th June 2019, 02:36 PM   #6
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Check your extensions. One of them might be causing you problems. Uninstall any you do not need and if that does not work deactivate the rest of them. If that fixes the problem you can activate some until you activate the one that is giving you problems. Then uninstall it.

You could also clear your cache. Unlikely to work, but very simple and will solve many strange problems.
If by extensions you mean plugins, I haven't added any. Hell I didn't know that was a thing in Chrome.

Did try clearing cache, but thx for the idea.

Why is it so hard for a company - ANY company - to make a browser that simply is easy to deal with and doesn't have BS like this? Firefox has proven unreliable in various ways to me at various times, IE and Edge, MS need I say more - the lesser ones Safari etc I tried and may be reliable but the UX sucked.

I miss Netscape.

PS I renamed the google updates folders and files and that didn't kick in, but it still effing rebooted itself.

Last edited by bigred; 14th June 2019 at 02:37 PM.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Old 14th June 2019, 03:07 PM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Are you using Windows 10, or 7, or what?
Old 14th June 2019, 11:25 PM   #9
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If by extensions you mean plugins, I haven't added any. Hell I didn't know that was a thing in Chrome.
<snip>
You can see your extensions here.
chrome://extensions/

If you see any you do not approve of remove.

NB: Suggest you only click on the above link if you are using chrome.

Edit. You will have to cut and paste the URL. Chrome refuses to go there by any other method.

Last edited by rjh01; 14th June 2019 at 11:27 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 03:06 AM   #10
catsmate
No longer the 1

Menu - More tools - Task manager
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 03:50 AM   #11
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Why is it so hard for a company - ANY company - to make a browser that simply is easy to deal with and doesn't have BS like this? Firefox has proven unreliable in various ways to me at various times, IE and Edge, MS need I say more - the lesser ones Safari etc I tried and may be reliable but the UX sucked.
Maybe the problem isn't with the software
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 11:00 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Did try clearing cache, but thx for the idea.

I miss Netscape.

PS I renamed the google updates folders and files and that didn't kick in, but it still effing rebooted itself.
You are going round blocking access to folders, renaming an apps files etc. and you wonder why your software isn't stable?
Old 16th June 2019, 07:52 AM   #13
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You are going round blocking access to folders, renaming an apps files etc. and you wonder why your software isn't stable?
Thanks for the unhelpful and oh btw inaccurate reply. I renamed one folder/files in it which only contain the Google update thing, and it did indeed stop that.

Anyway thanks to those who actually tried to help. I hadn't tried Opera in some time so decided to revisit. It's better than I recall. They either improved it or I got better with it Regardless, that's my "fix" for Chrome, which is a win/win since I don't trust their snooping ways anyway.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet