ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 28th February 2018, 04:36 PM   #601
This is The End

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
My best guess is that, in connection with her testimony yesterday, she told her lawyers something incriminating and they advised her she had to quit.

Ding, ding, ding!!

If you spend several hours in front of the House Intelligence Committee and the very next day quit your job. It's related. Hard to sell "huge coincidence" on that one.

I believe it has come out that during that testimony she admitted to having often told white lies for Trump. But never about anything important.

Gotta love the contradiction there. If it wasn't ever about anything important... why do it?

Last edited by This is The End; 28th February 2018 at 05:27 PM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 06:10 PM   #602
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Ding, ding, ding!!

If you spend several hours in front of the House Intelligence Committee and the very next day quit your job. It's related. Hard to sell "huge coincidence" on that one.

I believe it has come out that during that testimony she admitted to having often told white lies for Trump. But never about anything important.

Gotta love the contradiction there. If it wasn't ever about anything important... why do it?

That doesn't stop them from trying;
Quote:
Multiple White House aides said that Ms. Hicks’s departure was unrelated to her appearance before the committee. They said that she had told a small group of people in the days before the session that she had planned to leave her job.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 28th February 2018 at 06:25 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 06:34 PM   #603
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps TheDonald was getting a bit too handsy and her boyfriend was no longer there to obstruct.
Old 28th February 2018, 07:19 PM   #604
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

She knows where the bodies are buried. Probably helped bury a few of them herself. And after talks with her lawyer and then stonewalling badly in front of the HIC, she has finally realised she is in a bad, bad place and needs to get out while the going is good. Alternative theory: she may have realised she has less to lose by resigning. Expect her to travel to somewhere the USA can't extradite her from.

No, it isn't coincidental that the HIC appearance immediately preceded her resignation.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 09:35 PM   #605
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That doesn't stop them from trying;
Quote:
Multiple White House aides said that Ms. Hicksís departure was unrelated to her appearance before the committee. They said that she had told a small group of people in the days before the session that she had planned to leave her job.

Ha. Days! I mean, who could possibly know days ahead of a testimony that what they're likely to say in that testimony would make it extremely difficult if not impossible to remain in their current job?
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 10:38 PM   #606
This is The End

Quote:
Multiple White House aides said that Ms. Hicksís departure was unrelated to her appearance before the committee. They said that she had told a small group of people in the days before the session that she had planned to leave her job.

That small group of people probably consisted of nobody, a ghost, and a cat. And the cat refuses to back her up.
Old 28th February 2018, 11:29 PM   #607
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Ha. Days! I mean, who could possibly know days ahead of a testimony that what they're likely to say in that testimony would make it extremely difficult if not impossible to remain in their current job?

That's from other people. Her story is she had been contemplating it for months.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 11:54 PM   #608
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
That small group of people probably consisted of nobody, a ghost, and a cat. And the cat refuses to back her up.
That's cats for ya... no real loyalty at all.

OMG... Trump is cat people!

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 01:13 AM   #609
Lurch
Muse

It's being reported that after her testimony in which she admitted telling "white lies", Trump upbraided her, that being perhaps the proverbial last straw.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 06:13 AM   #610
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hicks is out, now everybody is reporting it.
Like putting a model who had no Public Relations or News experience as communications director was a good idea....
Not meant to be a slur on models, but still..
Gee whiz!

When one of Trump's favorite lackeys gets the boot, then it clearly shows just what a total cluster "something censored" the White House has been since 12:00 PM EST 20 JAN 2017.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 06:22 AM   #611
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

In a thousand years, I wouldn't have guessed Hope Hicks.
Yea but then she admitted to lying and he can not accept that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 06:36 AM   #612
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yea but then she admitted to lying and he can not accept that.
You are quite right.

Hope Hicks should have used a more elaborate term like "alternative truths" instead.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 06:37 AM   #613
Belz...
Fiend God

One of the best descriptions of Trump I have read is "A Weak man's fantasy of a Strong man".
Succint and accurate.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 06:41 AM   #614
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
It's being reported that after her testimony in which she admitted telling "white lies", Trump upbraided her, that being perhaps the proverbial last straw.
I bet he did - admitting you lied! That's a terrible sin in the church of Trump.
Old 1st March 2018, 02:00 PM   #615
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Gee whiz!

When one of Trump's favorite lackeys gets the boot, then it clearly shows just what a total cluster "something censored" the White House has been since 12:00 PM EST 20 JAN 2017.
I can see wanting to surround yourself with people you can trust,and who have some loyalty, but for heaven's sake be sure they are competent to do the job you are hiring them for. Trump seems unable to do that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 02:39 PM   #616
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I can see wanting to surround yourself with people you can trust,and who have some loyalty, but for heaven's sake be sure they are competent to do the job you are hiring them for. Trump seems unable to do that.
I saw a news bit discussing some internal turmoil around him wanting to hire his private pilot to run the FAA. Here is the first article I found.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 02:49 PM   #617
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Up next, HR Mcmaster.... ? Looking that way.

Will the last adult in the room please turn the lights off on the way out ?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/01/whit...-nbc-news.html

White House preparing for exit of national security advisor HR McMaster: NBC News
The White House could replace national security advisor H.R. McMaster as early as next month, NBC News reports.
Ford executive Stephen Biegun is among McMaster's possible replacements, according to NBC

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 1st March 2018 at 02:51 PM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 04:36 PM   #618
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Up next, HR Mcmaster.... ? Looking that way.

Will the last adult in the room please turn the lights off on the way out ?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/01/whit...-nbc-news.html

White House preparing for exit of national security advisor HR McMaster: NBC News
The White House could replace national security advisor H.R. McMaster as early as next month, NBC News reports.
Ford executive Stephen Biegun is among McMaster's possible replacements, according to NBC
He's still has lots of years ahead if him. Why would he throw it all away to work for a Russian Whore?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 04:44 PM   #619
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

...it clearly shows just what a total cluster "something censored" the White House has been since 12:00 PM EST 20 JAN 2017.
It still surprises me that some people are waking up to this only now (and that many have not, yet).
Old 1st March 2018, 05:02 PM   #620
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Reports that some of his economic advisors might well quit over his Tarifff decision,rather then be blamed for the economic train wreck that is coming....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 05:17 PM   #621
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Even more so: a truly clever leader includes in their inner circle at least a few people who are not only competent, but are also willing to actively disagree with them, to point out the possible negatives in any policy proposed, and to propose alternative ideas.

It is easier to surround yourself with ego-stroking yes-people, but very dangerous to make policy in a hall of mirrors where everyone is just trying to please the big boss.

Needless-to-say I am not expecting Trump to recognize the value of having advisors who will disagree with him.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 05:18 PM   #622
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Typical Trump administration tactic. Keep telling different lies until the media gets bored with debunking them.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 05:28 PM   #623
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Even more so: a truly clever leader includes in their inner circle at least a few people who are not only competent, but are also willing to actively disagree with them, to point out the possible negatives in any policy proposed, and to propose alternative ideas.

It is easier to surround yourself with ego-stroking yes-people, but very dangerous to make policy in a hall of mirrors where everyone is just trying to please the big boss.

Needless-to-say I am not expecting Trump to recognize the value of having advisors who will disagree with him.
Right.
It appears that for Trump, only yes-people will fit the bill for people he will trust, rendering "competent" and "trustworthy" mutually exclusive categories, as a general rule.
Old 1st March 2018, 05:42 PM   #624
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

What you say here is pretty much standard in any Business Management 1A course:that surrounding yourself with Yes Men leads to disaster.
Another reason why people who claim Trump is a great businessman are ignorant .

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2018, 05:47 PM   #625
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Surrounds himself with sychophants who are afraid to disagree with him.
Increasingly Isolated from all but his his most boot licking sycophants.
Rejecting reality when it clashes with his ideological obssesions.
Finding "traitors" everywhere.
Turning on people who were once his allies.
Now who does that remind you of in his last days?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2018, 05:49 PM   #626
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Surrounds himself with sychophants who are afraid to disagree with him.
Increasingly Isolated from all but his his most boot licking sycophants.
Rejecting reality when it clashes with his ideological obssesions.
Finding "traitors" everywhere.
Turning on people who were once his allies.
Now who does that remind you of in his last days?
Does Trump have ideological obsessions (plural), or just himself as King S*** as his exclusive ideological obsession?
Old 1st March 2018, 05:53 PM   #627
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Does Trump have ideological obsessions (plural), or just himself as King S*** as his exclusive ideological obsession?
I think it is pretty clear his does have some ideological obssesions..immigrants are basically bad being one of them.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2018, 06:07 PM   #628
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I think it is pretty clear his does have some ideological obssesions..immigrants are basically bad being one of them.
I kinda think he just fakes hatred of immigrants to pander to his bigot base.
Old 1st March 2018, 07:25 PM   #629
d4m10n
Illuminator

Whoa

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/969317139919392768
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 07:26 PM   #630
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

You are quite right.

Hope Hicks should have used a more elaborate term like "alternative truths" instead.
You are confusing your alternative facts with hyperbolic truths.
Old 1st March 2018, 07:26 PM   #631
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I have this fantasy that she resigned because Mueller flipped her, but I think that's unlikely. My best guess is that, in connection with her testimony yesterday, she told her lawyers something incriminating and they advised her she had to quit.
You give the lot of them too much credit for maturity.

Speculating: Her boyfriend was canned. Probably led to some tension. Trump's pressures are mounting. He's been yelling at everyone, surely he shouted at Hicks. She's been grumbling not used to not being in a snowflake role. She gets back from the Mueller interrogation, it's leaked about the admission of white lies, Trump is his unable to control himself mood yells some more at poor little Hicks and she says, fine I quit.

Sessions will go before Jarod, is my bet.
Sessions and Rosenstein apparently made a conspicuous public appearance at a restaurant across from Trump's hotel. That suggests they are teaming up and taking advantage of the turmoil to let Trump no they aren't going anywhere and he can't fire them.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Perhaps TheDonald was getting a bit too handsy and her boyfriend was no longer there to obstruct.
Doubtful. He's too angry right now. His widdle world is crashing down.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He's still has lots of years ahead if him. Why would he throw it all away to work for a Russian Whore?
Maybe McMasters is drawing the line at corruption akin to treason.

Apparently it was news to McMaster that Kushner had all those meetings with foreigners just before they loaned Kushner millions.

At least that's what the article in the WA Po suggests: Kushnerís overseas contacts raise concerns as foreign officials seek leverage
Quote:
H.R. McMaster, President Trumpís national security adviser, learned that Kushner had contacts with foreign officials that he did not coordinate through the National Security Council or officially report.
Old 1st March 2018, 07:28 PM   #632
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He has, after all, married two of them. Hot Eastern European immigrants = good. Filthy Mexicans = bad.
Old 1st March 2018, 07:28 PM   #633
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Well that certainly adds another layer.
Old 1st March 2018, 08:47 PM   #634
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Well that certainly adds another layer.
Looks like Kelly wants to be president.
Old 1st March 2018, 10:34 PM   #635
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
That surprises me. I don't know much about Kelly but I'd have thought Mattis and McMaster were kindred spirits. They are both well known for being scholar generals. I wonder if this was a hostage rescue on the part of the CoS and SECDEF or he got on the outs with the two former four stars for advocating a "bloody nose" strike on North Korea. I don't believe either of them were in favor of that course of action.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 10:36 PM   #636
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He has, after all, married two of them. Hot Eastern European immigrants = good. Filthy Mexicans = bad.
I suspect that if all his indiscretions with undocumented pretty young house keepers were brought to term there'd be a global onesie shortage.
Old 1st March 2018, 11:39 PM   #637
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And people though that Hitler's rants against the Jews were just for political purposes.
I have come to think that if someone says bigoted things and acts like a bigot, it is safest to think he is a bigot.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2018, 11:42 PM   #638
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More reports on CNN tonight that Trump's main economic advisor might well quit over the Tariff.
And the Wall Street Journal blasted Trump for his tariffs, calling it the worst policy decision of his presidency so far. In terms of damaging the economy, they well might be right.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2018, 11:43 PM   #639
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And rumors that McMasters already has a job offer from the Hoover institute, a very highly though of and respected think tank with offices in DC and Stanford.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2018, 11:55 PM   #640
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

And people though that Hitler's rants against the Jews were just for political purposes.
I have come to think that if someone says bigoted things and acts like a bigot, it is safest to think he is a bigot.
He's functionally indistinguishable from an ideologue type of bigot in terms of behavior, and really, anyone who's not part of his family or fan club is s*** as far as he's concerned, so it doesn't really matter.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics