ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 22nd September 2018, 07:22 AM   #481
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
We shall have to agree to differ as I believe it is wrong to evade the restrictions the owners put in place just because I can't afford or want to pay what they wish to charge.
There is not a complete restriction, or an anonymous person could not read it also. They are free to put in a 100% paywall. Do you avoid libraries?
Old 22nd September 2018, 08:32 AM   #482
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
There is not a complete restriction, or an anonymous person could not read it also. They are free to put in a 100% paywall. Do you avoid libraries?
I don't judge my ability to enter someones property by the quality of their locks, I don't do it because it would be wrong.

And what on earth has libraries got to do with evading the restrictions an IP owner has placed on their property?
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:48 AM   #483
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I don't judge my ability to enter someones property by the quality of their locks, I don't do it because it would be wrong.

And what on earth has libraries got to do with evading the restrictions an IP owner has placed on their property?
It's not the quality of locks. There is no lock, unless "you" as an arbitrarily designated owner of a cookie, want to see "more" of the content teased out to you after a number of free bites. It's like saying, you can come to my property, unless it's your third time or I don't know your name.

I DO get the need to have restitution for your IP, I actually subscribe to the Chicago Tribune, and access their behind-the-paywall content. I have also done so for other content providers in the past, including the Economist and a couple of others. However, since I am not a regular reader of this particular provider's news, I don't strive to obtain access via my wallet for a one time look.

However, thanks for providing an example of the high road, someday we may all reach your level with proper means, time and perserverence. I as a lowly fence hole peeker may someday be able to buy a season ticket, so I can watch one game.

Last edited by LSSBB; 22nd September 2018 at 09:49 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:27 AM   #484
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

We shall have to agree to differ as I believe it is wrong to evade the restrictions the owners put in place just because I can't afford or want to pay what they wish to charge.
I think it's a little bit wrong, too, but I think it's even more wrong for access to basic, mainstream news to be a a sort of gated community for the wealthy.

Back in the" olden days", community discussion about news happened at news stands, where whoever could afford it would buy the publications and leave their now-used copies just laying around for the poor to pick up and discuss, or the poor would share the cost of buying a copy.

Now we're increasingly just locked out of access to "the facts" as actually reported alltogether. Don't you see that as at least a little bit wrong, too?
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:29 AM   #485
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

If libraries were being invented just now in this day and age, they'd be forbidden as "centers of intellectual property theft".
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:54 AM   #486
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I think it's a little bit wrong, too, but I think it's even more wrong for access to basic, mainstream news to be a a sort of gated community for the wealthy.

Back in the" olden days", community discussion about news happened at news stands, where whoever could afford it would buy the publications and leave their now-used copies just laying around for the poor to pick up and discuss, or the poor would share the cost of buying a copy.

Now we're increasingly just locked out of access to "the facts" as actually reported alltogether. Don't you see that as at least a little bit wrong, too?
Nonsense, you wouldn't steal a newspaper from a newsstand. And I doubt many people actually bought a newspaper, read it all there and then, and then left it to help the 'poor'.

If libraries were being invented just now in this day and age, they'd be forbidden as "centers of intellectual property theft".
Libraries buy books. You are quite entitled to lend something you bought to anyone you want.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:04 AM   #487
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe this is what the whole "getting your facts/news" from facebook memes is for. Those are free, and the content creators actually encourage widespread distribution, with their little "If you agree, hit LIKE and SHARE!" notices.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:06 AM   #488
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Libraries buy books. You are quite entitled to lend something you bought to anyone you want.
Are people who bought a digital subscriptions to the NYT or WaPo allowed to give or lend their read/used copy away?

Last edited by kellyb; 22nd September 2018 at 11:09 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:08 AM   #489
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

And I doubt many people actually bought a newspaper, read it all there and then, and then left it to help the 'poor'.
They really did back in the 30s and 40s when newspaper stands were popular meeting places. After that, neighbors used to get them from other neighbors who had subscriptions.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:31 AM   #490
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Why not just pay?
Thank you.
Old 22nd September 2018, 01:00 PM   #491
fagin
Philosopher

Nonsense, you wouldn't steal a newspaper from a newsstand. And I doubt many people actually bought a newspaper, read it all there and then, and then left it to help the 'poor'.

Are people who bought a digital subscriptions to the NYT or WaPo allowed to give or lend their read/used copy away?
Er um.... You can let someone read over your shoulder though.

They really did back in the 30s and 40s when newspaper stands were popular meeting places. After that, neighbors used to get them from other neighbors who had subscriptions.
And BITD Uggg used to carve stuff into rocks and anyone could read it.

ps. You can still buy paper newspapers, and give them away to anyone you like.
Old 22nd September 2018, 01:54 PM   #492
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Er um.... You can let someone read over your shoulder though.
Where am I supposed to find these people to read their digital subscriptions over their shoulder?
Old 22nd September 2018, 01:56 PM   #493
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

ps. You can still buy paper newspapers, and give them away to anyone you like.
Except the digital press has almost completely killed physical print media.
Old 22nd September 2018, 02:41 PM   #494
fagin
Philosopher

So buy a newspaper and save the industry.

Seriously, is Bob infectious or something?
Old 22nd September 2018, 02:44 PM   #495
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

There's always the merits of getting news from just reading the headlines!
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:07 PM   #496
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I can access WA Po at my library, online or I can read the papers there that they have.

But one thing a lot of us don't consider, FB, Twitter, Google and Amazon are taking all the advertising dollars away from the news print sources. We don't want investigative news sources to dry up, but it may happen anyway.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 22nd September 2018 at 03:11 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:23 PM   #497
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I can access WAPo at the library.
I'm in a situation where I don't have a car, have 2 kids, and am in a city with almost no public transportation. Access to news becoming akin to a gated community really has been kind of an emerging reality for me and people in similar situations.

Multiple devices, used and only quasi-broken, probably is the way to go for folks in my position.

Whatever. lol
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:27 PM   #498
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

But one thing a lot of us don't consider, FB, Twitter, Google and Amazon are taking all the advertising dollars away from the news print sources. We don't want investigative news sources to dry up, but it may happen anyway.
It's all facebook, when it comes to news:
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...cebook-629567/
Quote:
Long before 2016 had a chance to happen, the news media in the United States was effectively destroyed. For those of us in the business, the manner of conquest has been the most galling part. The CliffsNotes version? Facebook ate us.

Internet platforms like Zuck’s broke the back of the working press first by gutting our distribution networks, and then by using advanced data-mining techniques to create hypertargeted advertising with which no honest media outlet could compete.
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:50 PM   #499
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm in a situation where I don't have a car, have 2 kids, and am in a city with almost no public transportation. Access to news becoming akin to a gated community really has been kind of an emerging reality for me and people in similar situations.

Multiple devices, used and only quasi-broken, probably is the way to go for folks in my position.

Whatever. lol
I'm not the one telling you to not use incognito. I was posting on your side, there is free access available. I use incognito. I also try to limit the times I link to WA Po and the NYT. They allow a certain number of free reads per month.
Old 22nd September 2018, 04:00 PM   #500
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not the one telling you to not use incognito. I was posting on your side, there is free access available. I use incognito. I also try to limit the times I link to WA Po and the NYT. They allow a certain number of free reads per month.
Gotcha', and I appreciate the highlighted part.
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:00 PM   #501
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Is it playing a game if all you are doing is cheating?
It's not a game to the GOP, winning is all that matters.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2018, 02:18 PM   #502
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The New York Times is bringing a lawsuit against the FCC for allegedly hiding evidence of what could be Russian interference in the process of ending net neutrality

Not directly related to the subject of this thread, but close enough to fit and probably not significant enough to warrant a thread of its own.
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:36 PM   #503
Minoosh
Philosopher

My internet access is borrowing my neighbor's wifi about a quarter of the time. I, ummm, have to be really thrifty in general.
Well luckily the ISF is pretty cheap entertainment.

I find clearing history sometimes works. I also donated $50 to the Guardian last year. I do want someone to be financing investigative journalism. Jeff Bezos is a good candidate . I'm only partly joking.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 03:59 AM   #504
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Russian state media defending Trump
Old 25th September 2018, 04:04 AM   #505
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
They have a point: some have more comparison data to draw from than others.
Old 25th September 2018, 05:39 AM   #506
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I doubt Trump is even playing checkers.
Checkers? He can barely fill a single line in Tetris.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 06:29 AM   #507
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Depends on the terms and conditions of the forum purchase.
Old 25th September 2018, 06:30 AM   #508
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Except the digital press has almost completely killed physical print media.
Might have done in your country but we still have many printed news papers some of which are free.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:03 AM   #509
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Luckily, I saved up some money by not buying Wolff's, Omarosa's or Woodward's book so I can get something actually important:

Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President - What We Don't, Cant, and Do Know
by Kathleen Hall Jamieson

The New Yorker has a preview, but in short, according to an undeniably non-partisan expert in the field we can conclude with a very high certainty that without Russian interference, Clinton would have won the election.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:11 AM   #510
Belz...
Fiend God

I tried reading an article on this book, but after over a dozen paragraphs focused apparently on nothing but assuring me how undeniably non-partisant this author was, I gave up. If an article on a book can't be arsed to actually tell me about said book without spending most of the itself shilling the author, I can't be bothered.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 08:14 AM   #511
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I tried reading an article on this book, but after over a dozen paragraphs focused apparently on nothing but assuring me how undeniably non-partisant this author was, I gave up. If an article on a book can't be arsed to actually tell me about said book without spending most of the itself shilling the author, I can't be bothered.
just read the bottom bit: it outlines how Comey got tricked by an email faked by Russia, which tainted his entire investigation.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:21 AM   #512
Belz...
Fiend God

just read the bottom bit: it outlines how Comey got tricked by an email faked by Russia, which tainted his entire investigation.
Which bottom bit? In the link?

Last edited by Belz...; 25th September 2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:29 AM   #513
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...tion-for-trump

Quote:
At some point in 2016, the F.B.I. had received unverified Russian intelligence describing purported e-mails from Lynch to a member of the Clinton team, in which she promised that she’d go easy on Clinton. An unnamed source told the Post that the intelligence had been viewed as “junk.” Nonetheless, Comey has reportedly told aides that he let the disinformation shape his decision to sideline Lynch. Fearing, in part, that conservatives would create a furor if the alleged e-mails became public, he began to feel that Lynch “could not credibly participate in announcing a declination.” A subsequent report, by the Justice Department’s inspector general, described Comey’s behavior as “extraordinary and insubordinate,” and found his justifications unpersuasive.

Nick Merrill, a former Clinton-campaign spokesman, describes Comey’s actions as “mind-blowing.” He said of the intelligence impugning Lynch, “It was a Russian forgery. But Comey based major decisions in the Justice Department on Russian disinformation because of the optics of it! The Russians targeted the F.B.I., hoping they’d act on it, and then he went ahead and did so.”
Old 25th September 2018, 09:16 AM   #514
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah, that definitely had an impact.

Old 26th September 2018, 04:06 AM   #515
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1044790621477777411

Quote:
Republicans announced today that they won't be passing the Secure Elections Act ahead of midterms.

That means they will have passed a grand total of zero bills aimed at protecting our election infrastructure from cyberattacks since the 2016 election. Zero.
Old 26th September 2018, 04:08 AM   #516
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I seriously believe that this is a strategy, and that Trump & co. are already planing to scream "voting fraud" when Democrats win big.
Old 26th September 2018, 04:10 AM   #517
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I think all Trump adherents would agree with me when I say "Why should they"? After all, Russia is helping them. Why would they throw that away?

It's not like anyone in the GOP is a patriot.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 05:00 AM   #518
Belz...
Fiend God

Frankly, other than screwing up families and giving money to people who already have more than plenty of it, the GOP haven't done much in the last couple of years.

So much winning.

Old 26th September 2018, 05:01 AM   #519
Belz...
Fiend God

I seriously believe that this is a strategy, and that Trump & co. are already planing to scream "voting fraud" when Democrats win big.
Oh, I've been saying that they want to claim that for a while, but I hadn't thought of this exact strategy.

Old 30th September 2018, 01:59 PM   #520
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
A trailer for "Active Measures - A conspiracy hiding in plain sight" documenting Trump's ties to the Russian mob, to be released August 31:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Just saw "Active Measures" the other day-Highly Recommended.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I doubt Trump is even playing checkers. But under this scenario, Robert Mueller's opponent isn't Donald Trump, it's Vladimir Putin.

And Putin's game was honed in the Cold War KGB and the post-collapse kleptocracy. The mind boggles at the kinds of deals he must have made, the favors granted and the hit jobs carried out, to convince the Russian oligarchs that they should let him rule the country...

Pretty much a synopsis of "Active Measures". Prophetic words from theprestige.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics