ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 24th April 2019, 11:19 PM   #681
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Her vapid anti-American rants do not automatically equate to being leftist.
Old 24th April 2019, 11:22 PM   #682
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Her vapid anti-American rants do not automatically equate to being leftist.
Her anti-American rants aren't why we call her leftist.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:27 AM   #683
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Like somebody said,Trump Enterprises basically is ran like a Mob Family.
I would not be in the least surprised if it turns out that the Trump Organization has had a lot of dealings with A certain Italian American Fraternal Organization.
Well, the reason it's run like a family-run criminal syndicate, is because it's a family-based criminal syndicate. The Mob basically figured out how to run such a group efficiently, and Dolt 45 is like a funhouse-mirror version - similar, in form, though distorted and incredibly tacky in any setting outside of entertainment.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 05:47 AM   #684
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I'll bet those concrete samples always passed.

That was part of the fraud. Instead of performing actual compression tests (placing cured concrete cylinders in a hydraulic press to determine their breaking point), they were using computer simulations.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 04:04 AM   #685
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Maria Butina sentenced to 18 months
Old 27th April 2019, 05:29 AM   #686
Zambo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
That was part of the fraud. Instead of performing actual compression tests (placing cured concrete cylinders in a hydraulic press to determine their breaking point), they were using computer simulations.
I asume the reference to a concrete framed building when a steel framed building would be expected is Trump Tower. Trump Tower was constructed between 1979 and 1983 with the main structural RC being in the earlier years. Forget the idea that computer simulation was carried out.

Cheating in concrete compression tests is carried out in 2 ways. 1. use an incorrectly calibrated hydraulic compression test machine that gives a higher strength than is the case. 2.,and more simply, just don't record any failures and instead record a pass. In those days results were recorded by hand probably with a carbon paper copy.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 05:31 AM   #687
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
But how will the NRA get Russian money now?!?
Old 27th April 2019, 05:33 AM   #688
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
They aren't, which is why Oliver North wants to get rid of LaPierre.
The NRA won't have any money to play with in the 2020 elections.
Old 27th April 2019, 05:48 AM   #689
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
They need it now more than ever. The showdown between Oliver North and Wayne Lapierre over which one of them is defrauding the NRA is a fun subplot to this.

ETA: Link

Last edited by Stacko; 27th April 2019 at 05:56 AM.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 11:36 PM   #690
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I wouldn't count them out yet. Criminal organizations have a way of materializing money that they need.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:38 AM   #691
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wouldn't count them out yet. Criminal organizations have a way of materializing money that they need.
“It would be a shame if some loyal NRA members have to [wink wink, nudge nudge] use a few guns to rob nassessty Federal Banks to support us.”
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:35 PM   #692
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
They need it now more than ever. The showdown between Oliver North and Wayne Lapierre over which one of them is defrauding the NRA is a fun subplot to this.

LaPierre has successfully ousted North.
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:57 PM   #693
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

What a **** show. This is the grade of person the lobbying industry attracts.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:46 AM   #694
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

OMG OMG OMG Trump and Putin just had a phone call. And if we compare what Trump says were the topics to what the Kremlin says, one thing stands out: The Kremlin doesn't mention any "Russian Hoax"!!!!!!1
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:49 AM   #695
carlitos
"más divertido"

John Bolton was even more awkward and rude than normal when CNN asked him yesterday whether there was (as reported) a phone call coming up between Trump and Putin. What a tool.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 09:16 AM   #696
Zambo
Thinker

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
“It would be a shame if some loyal NRA members have to [wink wink, nudge nudge] use a few guns to rob nassessty Federal Banks to support us.”
Has this a meaning?
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 10:54 AM   #697
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Quote:
Has this a meaning?
Probably a reference to the election campaign, where Trump suggested that if Clinton won, maybe some '2nd amendment' people might take action.

Seen as a threat by many, but with enough plausible deniability for Trump to claim "Oh, I meant they would protest/launch court cases/etc."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nton/88479722/

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 11:07 AM   #698
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Has this a meaning?
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Probably a reference to the election campaign, where Trump suggested that if Clinton won, maybe some '2nd amendment' people might take action.

Seen as a threat by many, but with enough plausible deniability for Trump to claim "Oh, I meant they would protest/launch court cases/etc."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nton/88479722/
Also, it casts the NRA as a cross between a mob enforcer and Gollum-like character.
Old 6th May 2019, 11:19 AM   #699
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
OMG OMG OMG Trump and Putin just had a phone call. And if we compare what Trump says were the topics to what the Kremlin says, one thing stands out: The Kremlin doesn't mention any "Russian Hoax"!!!!!!1
That Tweet from The PDJT is three days old. Now he's saying the subject never came up.
Old 6th May 2019, 12:52 PM   #700
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That Tweet from The PDJT is three days old. Now he's saying the subject never came up.
I thought that Trump said the subject of interference in the upcoming election didn't come up. He stands by the conversation about the "Russian Hoax", claiming that Putin smiled over the phone or something. (Maybe it was a video phone, who knows?)
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 01:28 PM   #701
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
(Maybe it was a video phone, who knows?)
Fun fact - Trump used to make $450,000 per year endorsing a scammy pyramid scheme for video phone service!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 01:28 PM   #702
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Is he? I follow his tweets but not his interactions with the Mighty Wurlitzer. I suspect that this take covers the issue as the lady is, like yours truly, days ahead of what you end up being told by the propaganda machine and might feel like sharing with us.
Old 6th May 2019, 02:05 PM   #703
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Is he? I follow his tweets but not his interactions with the Mighty Wurlitzer. I suspect that this take covers the issue as the lady is, like yours truly, days ahead of what you end up being told by the propaganda machine and might feel like sharing with us.
I only got through the headline and the featured photo in that link and that was enough to know the article would be a worthless read.

I could be wrong about what I said earlier -- I may have conflated the two similar issues.
Old 6th May 2019, 03:25 PM   #704
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I only got through the headline and the featured photo in that link and that was enough to know the article would be a worthless read.

Caitlin Johnstone. Author of The Complete Book of Astrology (2003). Available as a Kindle edition.

Where does CE find these people? Does it come in as part of a daily briefing?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 05:29 PM   #705
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Caitlin Johnstone. Author of The Complete Book of Astrology (2003). Available as a Kindle edition.

Where does CE find these people? Does it come in as part of a daily briefing?

Originally Posted by Caitlin Johnstone
[...] And yes, I have written a book on astrology, once many years ago as one of the many, many jobs I took to feed my children while I was struggling to support myself through university. I also wrote a book on how to play the harmonica. I was commissioned to do these in my capacity as a writer; they were not pitched by me, the company asked me to write them. In the four years it took me to complete my journalism degree, I had two pregnancies, two babies and wrote multiple books for this gift book company, often writing well into the night, breastfeeding at the same time. Damn anyone who makes that a bad thing. Like many young moms, I was superhuman in my efforts to support my babies and I refuse to be shamed for my achievements, such as they are. Those books are well written. I might not be an astrologer or a harmonica player or whatever but I did the subject justice and produced good work.

You’re welcome to have opinions about my writing but you are not welcome to publish falsehoods about me. I am not a Russian propagandist, I am a Melbourne mother and a reader-supported journalist who graduated with distinction from the most esteemed journalism program in Australia. I am a flawed human being, and I’m sure you can pick holes in that, but you’ll have to limit yourselves to flaws that actually exist. [...]

Hmm. Where does quadraginta find these smears? Does it come in as part of a daily briefing?
Old 6th May 2019, 05:36 PM   #706
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I could be wrong about what I said earlier -- I may have conflated the two similar issues.

You mean Trump didn't contradict himself and now claims that the "Russian Hoax" didn't come up in the phone call? Or what?

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 6th May 2019 at 05:38 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 07:38 PM   #707
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Where does quadraginta find these smears? Does it come in as part of a daily briefing?

That is possible, of course, but it might also (more likely, in fact) have been one of the first things that came up in a browser search when I looked up the name.

Since I had never heard of her before.

A name which was provided, I should mention, from a link which you chose to post.

And why is that a smear? Are you ashamed that your citation is best known for her contribution to the popular field of astrology?

(From your quote it may be that she is, so perhaps you are right.)

Now you get to tell us how you discovered her.

ETA: I was unable to review the link you provided in your post, since, having linked to the other one apparently I have to subscribe via Google or Facebook to see this second one. No thanks.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 6th May 2019 at 07:42 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 08:35 PM   #708
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That is possible, of course, but it might also (more likely, in fact) have been one of the first things that came up in a browser search when I looked up the name.

Since I had never heard of her before.

A name which was provided, I should mention, from a link which you chose to post.

And why is that a smear? Are you ashamed that your citation is best known for her contribution to the popular field of astrology?

(From your quote it may be that she is, so perhaps you are right.)

Now you get to tell us how you discovered her.

ETA: I was unable to review the link you provided in your post, since, having linked to the other one apparently I have to subscribe via Google or Facebook to see this second one. No thanks.

Are you claiming that her astrology book was "one of the first things" you found googling her? This is obviously untrue. You found some propaganda article where her astrology book was used to smear her. Written to be found by you. I suggest you read her article again using critical thinking, not random internet search results. Trust your own judgement.
Old 6th May 2019, 08:40 PM   #709
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trust your own judgement.
Isn't that what Quad just did? I think you really mean "Trust Childlike Empress's judgement."
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 08:50 PM   #710
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Isn't that what Quad just did?

Nope, "quad" inserted therselve into an argument I had with alfaniner mouthing off about how unreliable Caitlin Johnstone is with a smear about a book she wrote on demand as a young mother 15 years ago. Producing noise without adding anything to the original argument, just like yourself.
Old 6th May 2019, 08:55 PM   #711
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, "quad" inserted therselve into an argument I had with alfaniner mouthing off about how unreliable Caitlin Johnstone is with a smear about a book she wrote on demand as a young mother 15 years ago. Producing noise without adding anything to the original argument, just like yourself.
You're just evading and posting everything but what you really mean which is "Trust Childlike Empress's judgement and Putin."
Old 6th May 2019, 09:08 PM   #712
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

You're just evading and posting everything but what you really mean which is "Trust Childlike Empress's judgement and Putin."

Old 6th May 2019, 09:18 PM   #713
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Fun fact - Trump used to make $450,000 per year endorsing a scammy pyramid scheme for video phone service!
That's more evidence that Trump likely lives pretty much hand-to-mouth. Can you imagine real billionaires slapping their names on steak, neckties, bottled water etc., etc.?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 09:24 PM   #714
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That's more evidence that Trump likely lives pretty much hand-to-mouth. Can you imagine real billionaires slapping their names on steak, neckties, bottled water etc., etc.?

Of course not. Real billionaires are holier than we. God likes them very much. And so should we. They are always sirius.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 6th May 2019 at 09:25 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 10:39 PM   #715
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Are you claiming that her astrology book was "one of the first things" you found googling her? This is obviously untrue. You found some propaganda article where her astrology book was used to smear her. Written to be found by you. I suggest you read her article again using critical thinking, not random internet search results. Trust your own judgement.
You are wrong. I don't know how individual Google searches are, but I searched on her name and on the first page, top right:

Caitlin Johnstone
Author
Books: The Complete Book of Astrology, MORE

...in a rectangle, clearly.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 11:16 PM   #716
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Well, CE *did* say the author was days ahead of the mainstream. Isn't that what astrologers claim to be able to do?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 03:54 AM   #717
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
You are wrong. I don't know how individual Google searches are, but I searched on her name and on the first page, top right:

Caitlin Johnstone
Author
Books: The Complete Book of Astrology, MORE

...in a rectangle, clearly.

WOW. I tried it and you are right. There's a special little box just connecting her to that book. That is quite an extreme measure by our google behemoth friends. I have thought for a while that she is maybe the most dangerous writer to certain interests today. Extremely effective.

My apologies to quadraginta.
Old 7th May 2019, 04:21 AM   #718
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Oh, and how I discovered Caitlin Johnstone: On twitter. People I follow retweeted her.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 7th May 2019 at 04:25 AM. Reason: +link
Old 7th May 2019, 04:23 AM   #719
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

WOW. I tried it and you are right. There's a special little box just connecting her to that book. That is quite an extreme measure by our google behemoth friends. I have thought for a while that she is maybe the most dangerous writer to certain interests today. Extremely effective.

My apologies to quadraginta.
LOL. Google is in on the conspiracy........
Old 7th May 2019, 04:39 AM   #720
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

LOL. Google is in on the conspiracy........

Why do you think this "infobox" exists?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics