ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 7th May 2019, 04:56 AM   #721
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Trust your own judgement.
Depends on what. I don't think I'm qualified to question theoretical physicists on quantum mechanics, for instance.

And people's judgments are notoriously bad.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 05:40 AM   #722
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you think this "infobox" exists?
To make you complain and appear unhinged....
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 05:55 AM   #723
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
To make you complain and appear unhinged....

It was a serious question. Why does this twitter phenomenon and blog author have a special "infobox" on google telling you and "quad" that she wrote a book about astrology? She doesn't even have a wikipedia article.
Old 7th May 2019, 05:59 AM   #724
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Because she is a writer of nonsense. Astrology was her most successful foray into nonsense. "Rogue journalist" is her latest nonsensical writing path.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 06:08 AM   #725
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Because she is a writer of nonsense. Astrology was her most successful foray into nonsense. "Rogue journalist" is her latest nonsensical writing path.

And this judgement is what a search engine like google is supposed to make? Actually it doesn't make the judgement, but it does make the connection many will judge as, to use Randi babyspeak, woo. Why is the "infobox" there, ken? Don't evade. Say it.
Old 7th May 2019, 06:20 AM   #726
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And this judgement is what a search engine like google is supposed to make? Actually it doesn't make the judgement, but it does make the connection many will judge as, to use Randi babyspeak, woo. Why is the "infobox" there, ken? Don't evade. Say it.
The infobox is there to undermine the credibility of anyone who would expose "the truth"!!!
Old 7th May 2019, 06:36 AM   #727
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The infobox is there to undermine the credibility of anyone who would expose "the truth"!!!

Meaning you don't have an adult answer to the fact. The answer is, as I alluded to, that the quasi-monopolithic search engine plays around with the reputation of a humble blogger. For reasons none of us know.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 7th May 2019 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 06:38 AM   #728
wareyin
Philosopher

The infobox is there because it is what she is best known for. You said it yourself, she doesn't even have a wikipedia page, this is the only thing she has done that people have noticed.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 06:44 AM   #729
carlitos
"más divertido"

She's an author with a bunch of books, mostly on astrology. The complaint about this being accurately reflected in google results is ... I don't even know what it is. She has one more graphic novel / poetry book, which maybe hasn't sold as much as the astrology books.

It's a freaking algorithm, not a conspiracy. If she were a baseball player, it would list her position and team. If she were an actress, it would list her most popular movie, even if that was a crappy movie that she made while being a young mother.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 06:47 AM   #730
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Old 7th May 2019, 06:59 AM   #731
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Her recent book "Woke" has 45 reviews, and her astrology book from 16 years ago has 15, most of which are recent.

Nobody knew who she was 16 years ago, and basically everyone who follows geopolitics closely knows who she is now.

She was into woo when she was a college kid. BFD. This is only useful information for smearing her. I have to say I find the google info box pretty fishy, too. She really is on a lot of powerful people's poop list. She got banned from twitter for absolutely no reason a while back, and it was only a bunch of journalists raising hell that get her back on the platform.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:01 AM   #732
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post

Nobody knew who she was 16 years ago, and basically everyone who follows geopolitics closely knows who she is now.
I'd love to see evidence for the highlighted claim.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 07:03 AM   #733
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I'd love to see evidence indicating otherwise.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:04 AM   #734
Belz...
Fiend God

Speaking of "pure noise"...

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 07:06 AM   #735
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

You know as well as everyone else that this is a statement of opinion no "evidence" can be delivered about. I'm with kellyb though.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:11 AM   #736
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

It was a serious question. Why does this twitter phenomenon and blog author have a special "infobox" on google telling you and "quad" that she wrote a book about astrology? She doesn't even have a wikipedia article.
Ron Peterson Jr has a similar "infobox"; do you think he is the victim of a Google smear campaign too??? Or are you now prepared to admit you are ignorantly attributing sinister motives to trivial details?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 07:17 AM   #737
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Y I'm with kellyb though.
It was the outpouring of support from people like Matt Taibbi and Glenn Greenwald when she got a mysterious and unjustified twitter ban that showed me that she was no longer obscure. People who are determined to dismiss her because of what she says won't find that compelling, tho.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:19 AM   #738
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'd love to see evidence indicating otherwise.
Sorry, is this appeal to ignorance?

If she's well-known in geopolitical circles, it should be easy to show by providing links to articles commenting on her works. The only evidence possible that she is not well-known is a bunch of links to articles not mentioning her, which would prove very little, or perhaps some authority responding that they don't know who she is.

You sure could be right. She could be well-known and even respected, but there's no good reason to accept your claim without some evidence.

I'm not saying we should presume that she is unknown. It's just that either claim requires some evidence. That she is unknown is unlikely to have any good evidence, even if true. If she is well-known and respected, on the other hand, such evidence should be reasonably easy to provide, more likely than not.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 07:20 AM   #739
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Ron Peterson Jr has a similar "infobox"; do you think he is the victim of a Google smear campaign too??? Or are you now prepared to admit you are ignorantly attributing sinister motives to trivial details?
Honest question: why would her little-known book from 16 years ago, with 16 reviews, be listed, and not her much more popular one with 45 reviews?
Old 7th May 2019, 07:20 AM   #740
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It was the outpouring of support from people like Matt Taibbi and Glenn Greenwald when she got a mysterious and unjustified twitter ban that showed me that she was no longer obscure. People who are determined to dismiss her because of what she says won't find that compelling, tho.
Well, there you go. Why didn't you just mention this when someone asked for evidence of her notability?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 07:21 AM   #741
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Honest question: why would her little-known book from 16 years ago, with 16 reviews, be listed, and not her much more popular one with 45 reviews?
Who knows? Perhaps it's an artifact of Google algorithms. Perhaps there's a sinister plot afoot to downplay her recent work, either by Google or those who are good at manipulating Google.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:26 AM   #742
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Sorry, is this appeal to ignorance?

If she's well-known in geopolitical circles, it should be easy to show by providing links to articles commenting on her works. The only evidence possible that she is not well-known is a bunch of links to articles not mentioning her, which would prove very little, or perhaps some authority responding that they don't know who she is.

You sure could be right. She could be well-known and even respected, but there's no good reason to accept your claim without some evidence.

I'm not saying we should presume that she is unknown. It's just that either claim requires some evidence. That she is unknown is unlikely to have any good evidence, even if true. If she is well-known and respected, on the other hand, such evidence should be reasonably easy to provide, more likely than not.
She's regularly linked to by the site mentioned here, for example:
https://www.cnbc.com/2012/01/27/The-...gs.html?page=9

Quote:
Yves Smith is another of the old stalwarts of financial blogging. A harsh critic of Wall Street who believes that fraud was at the center of the financial crisis, Smith is always a provocative read.
And like I said, Matt Taibbi and Glen Greenwald threw a fit when she was mysteriously banned from twitter. Does stuff like that count?
Old 7th May 2019, 07:26 AM   #743
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post

I admit that this is a very good argument for "quad" being told about an old book of the author by an algorithm, not a conspiracy, with the same effect to actually dismiss what that author wrote about the topic of the thread.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:28 AM   #744
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Who knows? Perhaps it's an artifact of Google algorithms. Perhaps there's a sinister plot afoot to downplay her recent work, either by Google or those who are good at manipulating Google.
Maybe. We'll never know, I guess. That google has been nudged to do it isn't reptilian-level crazy impossible, tho.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:29 AM   #745
carlitos
"más divertido"

There are multiple books on astrology, so maybe it derives that this is her genre and picks the most popular one. Who knows?

If it's important to her, she might be able to "claim this knowledge panel" via google.

Old 7th May 2019, 07:32 AM   #746
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

There are multiple books on astrology, so maybe it derives that this is her genre and picks the most popular one. Who knows?

If it's important to her, she might be able to "claim this knowledge panel" via google.

I'm actually going to suggest that to her. Thanks!
Old 7th May 2019, 07:37 AM   #747
wareyin
Philosopher

7 Astrology books and 1 "Utopia Prepper" book. I wonder why she is listed as an Astrology author?

And a book with only 45 reviews on Amazon is not exactly popular, nor indicative of a well known author.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 07:43 AM   #748
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
7 Astrology books and 1 "Utopia Prepper" book. I wonder why she is listed as an Astrology author?

And a book with only 45 reviews on Amazon is not exactly popular, nor indicative of a well known author.
Her book "Woke" is mostly poetry and art.

It's her articles on geopolitics she's well known for.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:51 AM   #749
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

You are lying. There are 7 search results, two of them actual books of her, one being the astrology book. Interestingly enough, for me no comments are visible. For her actual "modern" book "Woke" of 2017, amazon lists 45 comments with an average rating of 4.6 of 5 stars - but I can't read any of them (edit: found the filter I had to turn off to read the comments).

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 7th May 2019 at 07:56 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:02 AM   #750
carlitos
"más divertido"

https://www.bookdepository.com/author/Caitlin-Johnstone
Old 7th May 2019, 08:09 AM   #751
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Looks like in the old days you could have purchased all of the animal star sign or what they are called separately from that gift book company. I'm a Taurus myself so you can congratulate me on my birthday a bit early or late or even fitting just now. Which has nothing to do with the hard-hitting analysis Caitlin Johnstone does in 2019 and you ... want to evade.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 7th May 2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 7th May 2019, 08:14 AM   #752
carlitos
"más divertido"

Yes, 12 signs = 12 books. What do we think of a poster who calls someone a liar for correctly pointing out that there are multiple astrology books with her listed as an author?
Old 7th May 2019, 08:16 AM   #753
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Astrology gets more clicks than geopolitics.
Old 7th May 2019, 08:24 AM   #754
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yes, 12 signs = 12 books. What do we think of a poster who calls someone a liar for correctly pointing out that there are multiple astrology books with her listed as an author?

Someone claimed that there are 7 astrology books and "Woke". I pointed out that there are 7 search results: one of them "Woke", one of them the astrology book, four derivitives of the astrology book and one random result. Which you had seen before you wrote your post. Why, carlitos? Why are you doing this?
Old 7th May 2019, 08:25 AM   #755
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Someone claimed that there are 7 astrology books and "Woke". I pointed out that there are 7 search results: one of them "Woke", one of them the astrology book, four derivitives of the astrology book and one random result. Which you had seen before you wrote your post. Why, carlitos? Why are you doing this?
accuracy is not a crime,
Old 7th May 2019, 08:58 AM   #756
wareyin
Philosopher

Her book "Woke" is mostly poetry and art.

It's her articles on geopolitics she's well known for.
By "well known" you mean "an obscure conspiracy theorist", right?
Old 7th May 2019, 09:02 AM   #757
wareyin
Philosopher

You are lying. There are 7 search results, two of them actual books of her, one being the astrology book. Interestingly enough, for me no comments are visible. For her actual "modern" book "Woke" of 2017, amazon lists 45 comments with an average rating of 4.6 of 5 stars - but I can't read any of them (edit: found the filter I had to turn off to read the comments).
I wasn't using Amazon to search. The point is you guys are complaining that this obscure conspiracy theorist is better known for her astrology books than her singular poetry book. 45 ratings in a year and a half is not exactly setting the publishing world on fire, but it's entirely possible that her blog has some 40-45 fans willing to shell out the $23.60 for a 108 page book of Utopia Prepper Poetry, then write gushing reviews for it.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:04 AM   #758
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

By "well known" you mean "an obscure conspiracy theorist", right?
She's really not any more of a "conspiracy theorist" than Glenn Greenwald, but you an believe whatever you wish.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:05 AM   #759
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Conspiracy theories about how Google treats a Conspiracy theorist.....
Old 7th May 2019, 09:11 AM   #760
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

She's really not any more of a "conspiracy theorist" than Glenn Greenwald, but you an believe whatever you wish.
That's plenty for me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics