ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , border issues , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 20th June 2018, 02:04 PM   #441
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Yeah, they were pretty good running the POW camps in WWII.

These are POW camps, right?

Or is Trump thinking to ship them off to Gitmo and house them with Al Qaeda and Taliban leftovers?
POW camps? These aren't prisoners, and this isn't a war.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:06 PM   #442
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
There's also the Flores settlement that says that children must be released after no more than 20 days. Sorry trumpsters, the army can't run your concentration camps under the law.
That is why the Executive Order specifically requires that they modify the order.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:09 PM   #443
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Yeah, they were pretty good running the POW camps in WWII.

These are POW camps, right?

Or is Trump thinking to ship them off to Gitmo and house them with Al Qaeda and Taliban leftovers?
My former father-in-law emigrated to the U.S. after being held as a POW in Wisconsin. I don't think he had ever eaten so well in his life.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:13 PM   #444
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Melania tweeting about meeting King/Queen of spain and talking about helping children....

She should start by keeping them away from her hubby and ol' man Sessions.
Yeah that was a remarkable tone-deaf thing for Melania to post, given the whole child-removal issue. You would figure Ivanka's experience (tweeting a pic of her and her kid) would have been enough of a warning: Don't talk about kids when Donald is in the process of harming children.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 20th June 2018 at 02:33 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:14 PM   #445
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
My former father-in-law emigrated to the U.S. after being held as a POW in Wisconsin. I don't think he had ever eaten so well in his life.
We did everything we could to treat German POW's well. Mainly in the hopes that they would reciprocate. Not sure what that has to do with keeping children in fenced in cages.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:17 PM   #446
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It might take a few years, but IMHO the GOP has signed it's death warrant as a major party with it's total surrender to Trump. Only a matter of time until a new party based on traditional conservative principals begins to form. The GOP arose because of the death of the Whigs in the 1850's; the GOP is following in the footsteps of the Whigs.
It's going to have to shed itself of quite a few people. We might see three parties for awhile: GOP, Dems, and some weird xenophobic America-First party, which I would guess is almost a third of the population.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:18 PM   #447
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Correct, his system based style is to never apologize or capitulate, he will use this as leverage to get something bigger done, probably the wall.
Is this sarcasm?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:20 PM   #448
Fudbucker
Philosopher

GOd, I hope you are being sarcastic.
I honestly didn't see your post before I posted the same thing.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:23 PM   #449
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Correct, his system based style is to never apologize or capitulate, he will use this as leverage to get something bigger done, probably the wall.
Its not a "system", its a personality disorder.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:24 PM   #450
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Now the press will attempt to portray Trump as being weak on immigration.
No, I think that's what the Trumpsters who were happy with the 'deterrent' are going to say. Except for Fox, which mainstream news has been reporting on Trump being weak on immigration? The press has been describing ending the DACA as a tragedy. That's not weak on immigration.

Trump is now promoting drug smuggling and child trafficking simply because he signed this.

Watch CNN tonight to see.
On CNN? Really?

Are you sure you aren't projecting your own beliefs about immigrants?
Old 20th June 2018, 02:26 PM   #451
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This will open the door for him to sign an executive order to build the wall, in the name of preventing families from coming over at non-ports-of-entry, and having to be separated.

He will look like a genius again.
Because if they try to come through legit ports of entry and ask for asylum, it's easier to block them.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:27 PM   #452
Fudbucker
Philosopher

I think Sessions lot a lot of political cover over this, and the Senate committee on nominations might signal they're prepared to nominate a new AG. Trump would fire Sessions in a heartbeat, if he could.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:28 PM   #453
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

If he plans to pay for it himself, he can sign whatever he wants. Otherwise he's SOL on that front.
Hey, Trump said Mexico would pay for the wall and they won't. So Trump pretends to be a billionaire, Trump should pay for the wall not the taxpayers.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:28 PM   #454
Fudbucker
Philosopher

It has to be said:
The kind of mentality we are seeing from the Trump supporters is exactly the mentality that allowes dictators to come to power.
I wonder how some posters here A) stumbled onto a critical thinking forum in the first place, and B) have kept with it for years.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:29 PM   #455
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
That is why the Executive Order specifically requires that they modify the order.
The executive order was not legally necessary to stop the separating of kids from parents while border crossing investigations are ongoing for each individual and/or family member.

The executive order was created to give the illusion that it was necessary, due to Trump and his Trumpettes lying about how only congress can make such a change.

This executive order performs an illusionary magic trick for the masses to "oooo" and "ahhh" about while serving the purpose of POTUS saving face.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:31 PM   #456
The Big Dog

Some Canadian asshat named Pat Dussault directly threatened Trump's four year old grandchild, Chloe.

I hope these clowns don't resist when the Secret Service pays a call
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:34 PM   #457
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Some Canadian asshat named Pat Dussault directly threatened Trump's four year old grandchild, Chloe.

In Canada? His twitter page seems to have been deactivated BTW, I dunno what he said.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:36 PM   #458
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No, I think that's what the Trumpsters who were happy with the 'deterrent' are going to say. Except for Fox, which mainstream news has been reporting on Trump being weak on immigration? The press has been describing ending the DACA as a tragedy. That's not weak on immigration.

On CNN? Really?

Are you sure you aren't projecting your own beliefs about immigrants?
I was thinking maybe on Hannity. That is if Hannity can stop <metaphor for a sexual act that makes it impossible to speak performed on Trump> for a whole minute.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:36 PM   #459
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I wonder how some posters here A) stumbled onto a critical thinking forum in the first place, and B) have kept with it for years.
amen, you'd think that they would have built up some immunity to TDS, but now we get wildly exaggerated hyperbole like Trump is a dictator and calls for armed violence.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:38 PM   #460
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Quote:
It might take a few years, but IMHO the GOP has signed it's death warrant as a major party with it's total surrender to Trump. Only a matter of time until a new party based on traditional conservative principals begins to form.
It's going to have to shed itself of quite a few people. We might see three parties for awhile: GOP, Dems, and some weird xenophobic America-First party, which I would guess is almost a third of the population.
So a 3 way vote split that will lead to some very messy elections. Although I figured it would be more GOP (filled with racists), Dems, and the "Good and decent party of conservatives"... i.e. the GOP would be stuck with the bad apples and the principled conservatives would go to the new party. After all, why would the racists leave the current GOP? They own the place!

The other issue I can see is that if/when the party filled with racists dies, the racists would simply migrate to the non-racist right-wing party, and we'd get a repeat of the current situation.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:39 PM   #461
Fudbucker
Philosopher

amen, you'd think that they would have built up some immunity to TDS, but now we get wildly exaggerated hyperbole like Trump is a dictator and calls for armed violence.
I'm curious: Did you vote for Trump and if so, knowing what you know now, would you still have voted for him?
Old 20th June 2018, 02:39 PM   #462
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
In Canada? His twitter page seems to have been deactivated BTW, I dunno what he said.
he said we are coming after Chloe in response to a tweet from Donald Trump Jr.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:41 PM   #463
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
If a US citizen went into a bank and robbed it, and got caught while trying to drive away and by chance had his/her kids in the car, the kids would be separated from the parent who got arrested and put in jail.

Child protective services would likely put the child into a relative's care or foster care. The child(ren) would not be held in jail with the parent.
The magnitude of the crime differs, your analogy is a fail.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:43 PM   #464
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The magnitude of the crime differs, your analogy is a fail.
Yeah, also the child is taken by a social worker until an appropriate family member can be found. And if not, they are put into foster care. They are not put into a cage.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:44 PM   #465
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

he said we are coming after Chloe in response to a tweet from Donald Trump Jr.
Is he a Canadian in the USA, or located in Canada?
Old 20th June 2018, 02:46 PM   #466
The Big Dog

There is an entire twitter account dedicated to Doxxing ICE employees, like the sinister systems engineer.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:46 PM   #467
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yeah that was a remarkable tone-deaf thing for Melania to post, given the whole child-removal issue. You would figure Ivanka's experience (tweeting a pic of her and her kid) would have been enough of a warning: Don't talk about kids when Donald is in the process of harming children.
It's like Barbara Bush saying, "this is working very well for them" about Katrina's homeless people living in the Astrodome, they really don't have a clue how the little people live.

Barbara Bush reportedly said that Hurricane Katrina refugees being housed in the Astrodome were 'underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them.'
Old 20th June 2018, 02:47 PM   #468
The Big Dog

Is he a Canadian in the USA, or located in Canada?
don't know, he deleted his account after threatening a four year old.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:47 PM   #469
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Does your SS have jurisdiction inCanada?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:50 PM   #470
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Its not a "system", its a personality disorder.
You have to question the intelligence of someone who thinks its a good idea for ANYBODY in a management position , let alone the POTUS, to never admit they made a mistake and never to back down when a course they are following is proving to be a mistake . At any level of management , those traits are considered to be a path to failure.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:50 PM   #471
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Does your SS have jurisdiction inCanada?
Wait, that is the take away here?

Not that he threatened Chloe Trump, but that he might be in Canada?

huh.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:57 PM   #472
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It has to be said:
The kind of mentality we are seeing from the Trump supporters is exactly the mentality that allowes dictators to come to power.
We've never seen anything like this assault on democratic institutions, and the lack of basic decency on display, all fervently supported by the Trump cult. I don't have context to draw upon. But is sure seems this way.

All my life I've blithely assumed that American democracy was a fixture set in stone, regardless the imperfections. I don't think that anymore. Now it seems fragile.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:57 PM   #473
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I was thinking maybe on Hannity. That is if Hannity can stop <metaphor for a sexual act that makes it impossible to speak performed on Trump> for a whole minute.
Fox, and especially Hannity, will never say Trump is weak on anything.
Old 20th June 2018, 03:00 PM   #474
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
We've never seen anything like this assault on democratic institutions, and the lack of basic decency on display, all fervently supported by the Trump cult. I don't have context to draw upon. But is sure seems this way.

All my life I've blithely assumed that American democracy was a fixture set in stone, regardless the imperfections. I don't think that anymore. Now it seems fragile.
Given all the pleas for violence coming from the left in the last few days, it does seem fragile.
Old 20th June 2018, 03:02 PM   #475
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

POW camps? These aren't prisoners, and this isn't a war.
Note to self - start posting emoticons.
Old 20th June 2018, 03:03 PM   #476
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump's POV, 'this has been going on for years and we're doing something about it.'
Old 20th June 2018, 03:04 PM   #477
sylvan8798
Master Poster

I hope the media keep up the pressure on this story. The executive order seems to have a lot of wiggle room, as well as seemingly allowing for indefinite detention of these people.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 03:05 PM   #478
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Given all the pleas for violence coming from the left in the last few days, it does seem fragile.
A Canadian and an actor who hasn't been a headliner in what, 35 or 40 years? Got anymore?
Old 20th June 2018, 03:08 PM   #479
Mumbles
Philosopher

I don't think what I said is stupid. Sometimes it's necessary to take up arms to defend freedom and Democracy against Fascism and tyranny. If things keep progressing as they are, we will soon be in a situation where the first shot will count for a lot.

ETA: I also think you should start considering ignoring the fascism-enablers on this forum. Let's discuss the problem without their constant bleeting.
Wise words. It's worth considering when violence becomes necessary, while also understanding that sometimes it's the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
What if instead of BLM we had black people shooting cops, and they did it on the grounds of fighting tyranny? Basically, a black person gets stopped and shoots first when they felt threatened. You think republicans would be supporting their 2nd amendment rights to fight the tyranny of government? What if black people created a militia to take out bad cops?
They would demand that BLM be called a terrorist group, insist that they're black supremacists, and threaten to kill them, while the FBI would monitor and prominent members.

This is, after all, exactly what they've been saying and doing for years, on the mere assertion that BLM shoots cops, despite these attacks actually being done by random criminals.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 03:15 PM   #480
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yeah, also the child is taken by a social worker until an appropriate family member can be found. And if not, they are put into foster care. They are not put into a cage.
Well...

Folks may want to look into the current racial disparities in which children get removed from their parents, and *why*. A lot of it is poverty-related more than anything else, which itself varies heavily based on race.

So maybe replace "bank heist" with "job interview", and realize that we're not the best in this regard either.

Not that this excuses Dolt 45's behavior at all, just an aside for folks to keep in mind for the future.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics