ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Ilhan Omar , Kevin McCarthy , Minnesota politics , Twitter incidents

Old 11th February 2019, 07:43 AM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Democrat congresswoman goes on anti-semitic tirade/Ilwan Omar is anti-Semitic

https://news.grabien.com/story-rep-i...witter-rampage

A series of tweets sent Sunday night from Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) are another addition for the latter category.

The tweets began after a writer for the Intercept, Glenn Greenwald, posted a story about Rep. Kevin McCarthy “threatening punishment” of Rep. Omar and Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) “over their criticisms of Israel.” (As CNN’s Jake Tapper noted, McCarthy’s comments were actually directed at “what he sees as anti-Semitic rhetoric from Reps. Omar and Tlaib.”)

Rep. Omar responded to Greenwald’s post with, “It’s all about the Benjamins baby”

Congresswoman @IlhanMN just retweeted a criticism of her anti-Semitic tweet which said that “she might as well call us hook-nosed.” In response to the escalating anger over her tweets, Rep. Omar said she’s the victim of “smears.”

More recently Rep. Omar used Holocaust Remembrance Day to downplay the Holocaust"
Old 11th February 2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

A series of tweets sent Sunday night from Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) are another addition for the latter category.

The tweets began after a writer for the Intercept, Glenn Greenwald, posted a story about Rep. Kevin McCarthy “threatening punishment” of Rep. Omar and Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) “over their criticisms of Israel.” (As CNN’s Jake Tapper noted, McCarthy’s comments were actually directed at “what he sees as anti-Semitic rhetoric from Reps. Omar and Tlaib.”)

Rep. Omar responded to Greenwald’s post with, “It’s all about the Benjamins baby”

Congresswoman @IlhanMN just retweeted a criticism of her anti-Semitic tweet which said that “she might as well call us hook-nosed.” In response to the escalating anger over her tweets, Rep. Omar said she’s the victim of “smears.”

More recently Rep. Omar used Holocaust Remembrance Day to downplay the Holocaust"
I might not be up to speed with this sort of stuff, but how in the "Benjamins" tweet anti-semitic? Also, could you explain how she downplayed the Holocaust?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:56 AM   #3
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Is there a better-written article on this subject? After reading that one I'm still not entirely clear about what exactly went on.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:57 AM   #4
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I fail to see what is anti-Semitic about criticizing Israel, a nation state, or questioning how much influence they have in our domestic policy.

An attack on Israel is not the same as an attack on Jewish people. It's a matter of public record that a number of pro-Israel lobbies are active and effective in influencing our foreign policy. Questioning this is not anti-Semitic.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:58 AM   #5
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I might not be up to speed with this sort of stuff, but how in the "Benjamins" tweet anti-semitic?
The idea she's advancing is that American politicians who support Israel only do so because of a Jewish conspiracy to buy off those politicians.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

You are wrong again.

Just because Rep. Ilhan Omar has complained about some of the things that the government of Israel is doing that does not automatically mean that Rep. Ilhan Omar is anti-semitic.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:59 AM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Talking Israel in politics has reach the Peak Baggage Tipping Point so there's no neutral or nuanced way to say anything about it.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:59 AM   #8
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I fail to see what is anti-Semitic about criticizing Israel, a nation state, or questioning how much influence they have in our domestic policy.

An attack on Israel is not the same as an attack on Jewish people. It's a matter of public record that a number of pro-Israel lobbies are active and effective in influencing our foreign policy. Questioning this is not anti-Semitic.
Yes, actually, it really is antisemitic when no equivalent questioning is done about the active anti-Israel lobbies.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:00 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The idea she's advancing is that American politicians who support Israel only do so because of a Jewish conspiracy to buy off those politicians.
Assuming that this is a correct assessment, how is that anti-semitic?

I don't think it's a secret that Israel enjoys a privileged position in American politics, though I'm not sure money is to blame as much as religion.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:01 AM   #10
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes, actually, it really is antisemitic when no equivalent questioning is done about the active anti-Israel lobbies.
How does that follow? You're describing hypocrisy, not anti-semitism.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:01 AM   #11
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You are wrong again.

Just because Rep. Ilhan Omar has complained about some of the things that the government of Israel is doing that does not automatically mean that Rep. Ilhan Omar is anti-semitic.
Except those tweets weren't complaining about anything Israel is doing. So your defense of her doesn't even make sense.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:04 AM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Assuming that this is a correct assessment, how is that anti-semitic?

I don't think it's a secret that Israel enjoys a privileged position in American politics, though I'm not sure money is to blame as much as religion.
It's precisely because money doesn't have much to do with it, but is blamed anyways. It's part of the antisemitic trope of Jews controlling finance.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:05 AM   #13
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I might not be up to speed with this sort of stuff, but how in the "Benjamins" tweet anti-semitic? Also, could you explain how she downplayed the Holocaust?
Apparently this tweet-:

Quote:
Today #WeRemember the murder of 17 million people, including 6 million Jews at the hands of the Nazis.

With the rise of Anti-Semitic and Neo-Nazi ideology, it's more important than ever we learn from the atrocities of the past & commit to fighting intolerance. #HolocaustMemorial
Was downplaying the Holocaust. As offensive tweets go I feel she is some way from challenging the master.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:05 AM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

It's precisely because money doesn't have much to do with it, but is blamed anyways. It's part of the antisemitic trope of Jews controlling finance.
Right... could you, say, link to something that shows that this is what this particular person holds as true? Just so that we're not just talking past each other.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:05 AM   #15
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

How does that follow? You're describing hypocrisy, not anti-semitism.
And what exactly do you think motivates that hypocrisy?
Old 11th February 2019, 08:06 AM   #16
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Jew here. Thanks for being offended on my behalf!

However, the suggestion that Israel spends large amounts to successfully lobby US politicians isn't an anti Semitic slur, its a demonstrable fact.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:06 AM   #17
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Right... could you, say, link to something that shows that this is what this particular person holds as true? Just so that we're not just talking past each other.
It's in the link in the OP. She thinks American politicians are bought off by the AIPAC, even though AIPAC really doesn't give much money at all, and that there aren't any other motives for American support of Israel.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:07 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Apparently this tweet-:

Was downplaying the Holocaust. As offensive tweets go I feel she is some way from challenging the master.
Yep clearly better to pull a Trump and not even mention the jews on holocaust remembrance day, plays well with so many of the people attacking her.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:08 AM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post

However, the suggestion that Israel spends large amounts to successfully lobby US politicians isn't an anti Semitic slur, its a demonstrable fact.
But facts are totally at odds with the Republican Truth, that is why they need alternate facts for all this.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:08 AM   #20
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I think it's more of a case of questioning why we allow Israel to be the tail that wags the dog in American politics. Conservatives are treating the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement as some form of outright bigotry, rather than a policy response to a foreign government engaged in questionable human rights enforcement.

A couple D's point out that money flows through these lobby groups, that's racist apparently, even though it is true.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th February 2019 at 08:10 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:08 AM   #21
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Apparently this tweet-:

Was downplaying the Holocaust.
I'm really confused now. How does that downplay anything?

Old 11th February 2019, 08:09 AM   #22
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post

And how does that compare to, say, the amount of money Saudi Arabia spends?

Hell, how does that compare to how much any special interest lobby in the US spends?
Old 11th February 2019, 08:11 AM   #23
Belz...
Fiend God

And what exactly do you think motivates that hypocrisy?
Considering the state of politics in the US, I'd be very careful to attribute it to anything but standard partisan nonsense.

It's in the link in the OP. She thinks American politicians are bought off by the AIPAC, even though AIPAC really doesn't give much money at all, and that there aren't any other motives for American support of Israel.
Sorry the formatting of the link is a mess from my end and I can't see the tweets.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:12 AM   #24
Belz...
Fiend God

That's a good point but two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:12 AM   #25
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Hell, how does that compare to how much any special interest lobby in the US spends?
So when cries of racism fail, here comes whattaboutism.

At least when it comes to the Saudis, most politicians are willing to acknowledge that realpolitik is happening and it's not a great situation we are stuck with.

Point out that Israel is rapidly becoming an apartheid state and you're branded a bigot.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:12 AM   #26
Donal
Illuminator

Reps Omar and Tlaib were critical of attempts to pass legislation punishing people for engaging in BDS.

Rep Omar pointed out that there is a lot of money backing such legislation.

When asked who she believed was providing such funding, she replied with AIPAC, a lobbying group that represents the Israeli government, particularly the more...conservative elements.

People do use AIPAC, Israel, etc etc as code words for screaming "THE JEWS RUN THE WORLD".

However, there are legitimate and important criticisms to address the Israeli government, AIPAC, and the effect of lobbying on the government in general.

You can take a look at what was actually said and decide for yourself what is happening here
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:14 AM   #27
Donal
Illuminator

No, she is advancing the idea that a specific piece of legislation is being supported because a lobbying group is pushing for it.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:15 AM   #28
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Is there a better-written article on this subject? After reading that one I'm still not entirely clear about what exactly went on.
DO NOT CLICK THE LINK IN THE OP

Damn site locked up my computer and tried to give my windows PC a virus; I'm wasting time on a full system scan now.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:15 AM   #29
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's more of a case of questioning why we allow Israel to be the tail that wags the dog in American politics.
That's begging the question, in the formal sense.

Quote:
Conservatives are treating the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement as some form of outright bigotry
Because it largely is.

Quote:
rather than a policy response to a foreign government engaged in questionable human rights enforcement.
There are many worse human rights offenders, including all of Israel's neighbors. Why single out Israel for special condemnation? BDS isn't about foreign policy, and it isn't about human rights.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:15 AM   #30
Armitage72
Master Poster

I'm really confused now. How does that downplay anything?

By mentioning that people other than Jews died, I guess? There's a fixed amount of sympathy in the world, so giving some to other people takes it away from Jews.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:15 AM   #31
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Reps Omar and Tlaib were critical of attempts to pass legislation punishing people for engaging in BDS.

Rep Omar pointed out that there is a lot of money backing such legislation.

When asked who she believed was providing such funding, she replied with AIPAC, a lobbying group that represents the Israeli government, particularly the more...conservative elements.

People do use AIPAC, Israel, etc etc as code words for screaming "THE JEWS RUN THE WORLD".

However, there are legitimate and important criticisms to address the Israeli government, AIPAC, and the effect of lobbying on the government in general.

You can take a look at what was actually said and decide for yourself what is happening here
This post is way too nuanced for the internet, man. Needs more black-and-white partisan rhetoric.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:16 AM   #32
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That's a good point but two wrongs don't make a right.
Why is it wrong for people to try to advance their interests through the political system?
Old 11th February 2019, 08:16 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
By mentioning that people other than Jews died, I guess? There's a fixed amount of sympathy in the world, so giving some to other people takes it away from Jews.
Everything's a zero-sum game, I guess.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:18 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
DO NOT CLICK THE LINK IN THE OP

Damn site locked up my computer and tried to give my windows PC a virus; I'm wasting time on a full system scan now.
Was the virus Republican or Democrat?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:19 AM   #35
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

That's begging the question, in the formal sense.

Because it largely is.
That's an opinion that politicians are free to argue about without recrimination of animus.

Quote:
There are many worse human rights offenders, including all of Israel's neighbors. Why single out Israel for special condemnation? BDS isn't about foreign policy, and it isn't about human rights.
Israel is a close ally, and friendship comes with higher expectations of conduct. Questioning why we are such close allies with a country failing to meet certain expectations is a legitimate debate for our legislators to have.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:19 AM   #36
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I had never heard of that particular news source/web site before. So I looked them up on mediabias....

Overall, we rate Grabien Right biased based on story selection and sourcing that significantly favors the right. We also rate them borderline Questionable for factual reporting due to failed checks and use of sources that have very poor track records with fact checkers.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:20 AM   #37
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Everything's a zero-sum game, I guess.
I think they fixed the quota the same time a couple of tweets became a 'tirade'.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:20 AM   #38
Belz...
Fiend God

There are many worse human rights offenders, including all of Israel's neighbors. Why single out Israel for special condemnation?
How about we condemn ALL of them proportionately to their crime and encourage better behaviour from even the better ones?

Why is it wrong for people to try to advance their interests through the political system?
Please. If those interests include stifling freedom of speech in the US, do you not think that would be "wrong", from the American perspective?

Old 11th February 2019, 08:23 AM   #39
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Israel is a close ally, and friendship comes with higher expectations of conduct.
That's a counter-productive way to run your foreign policy.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:24 AM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I had never heard of that particular news source/web site before. So I looked them up on mediabias....

Overall, we rate Grabien Right biased based on story selection and sourcing that significantly favors the right. We also rate them borderline Questionable for factual reporting due to failed checks and use of sources that have very poor track records with fact checkers.
Interesting website. They put the Guardian as left-leaning but not far left as some here have claimed. Politico, as usual, scores centrist.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics