ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 02:35 PM   #361
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Wow! I STRONGLY disagree. I don't think Trump cares about this stupid wall. People will go through the motions and little else.
I see it differently.

I see Trump putting his whole reputation on this wall getting built. Even if it costs him his job. He wants his name to go down in history as the president who built "the wall".

I'm not kidding when I say this wall will be his 'swan song'.

He'll risk it all to get it done.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:36 PM   #362
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Wow! I STRONGLY disagree. I don't think Trump cares about this stupid wall. People will go through the motions and little else.
Not to mention it's only a slogan so far. If it was more Trump could have given Congress an actual plan or at least an outline of one.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:39 PM   #363
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
I see it differently.

I see Trump putting his whole reputation [du jour] on this wall getting built.
ftfy (the bold)

Even if it costs him his job. He wants his name to go down in history as the president who built "the wall".

Not to mention, you can't be serious about that highlighted stuff. Is this sarcasm?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th February 2019 at 02:41 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 02:39 PM   #364
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not to mention it's only a slogan so far. If it was more Trump could have given Congress an actual plan or at least an outline of one.

He's not the kind of businessman to lay out a plan... that's what his minions are for.

And if his minions can't get it done, he'll take care of it his way. And his way is a sledgehammer... and a nail.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:44 PM   #365
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

I see it differently.

I see Trump putting his whole reputation on this wall getting built. Even if it costs him his job. He wants his name to go down in history as the president who built "the wall".

I think you're overlooking the influence of co-president Fox talking heads. From Jan 31:
Trump is going to declare a national emergency for the same reason he shut down the government: it will result in him continuing to receive a constant stream of validation from the people on his television screen.

It's literally that simple: You can't have a deal that Democrats will vote for that Fox News hosts will support, the president prioritizes Lou Dobbs and Sean Hannity saying nice things about him, they want the national emergency declaration, so it will eventually happen.

What we've been seeing on the declaration is the same thing we saw with earlier shutdown pushes in 2018: GOP congressional leaders and Fox hosts playing tug of war for the president's attention, the former talking him down for a while, but the latter eventually winning.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 02:46 PM   #366
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He's not the kind of businessman to lay out a plan... that's what his minions are for.

And if his minions can't get it done, he'll take care of it his way. And his way is a sledgehammer... and a nail.
Now, now, this is Trump we're talking about. Sledgehammer and a wood screw.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:53 PM   #368
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I see it differently.

Sorry, I don't buy your analysis on this one. He just wants to move on. Figure there will be a call for an injunction within the week. And then it drags on in the courts. And on and on.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:54 PM   #369
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I think the British Prime Minister's Stanley Baldwin comment on the British Press Barons in the 1930's applies to the right wing media..Fox News in particular:

"They want power without responsibility...the desire of the Harlot behind the throne through the ages".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 03:03 PM   #370
jnelso99
Muse

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
No way he wrote that.
He doesn’t care about his own kid, no way he cares about anybody else’s.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 03:40 PM   #371
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I see it differently.

His entire life has been about risking other people’s money. Why would he be willing to risk anyth8ng at this point?

Swan song? Are you suggesting that he will retire after the wall is approved, is funded, is begun, or is well into construction? Trump may hate the work, but he loves the job. He loves AirForce One. He loves being talked about on so many channels. He is not the retiring type.
Old 14th February 2019, 03:43 PM   #372
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
No way he wrote that.
Trump Or Not: Only a 10% chance that was Trump wrote that.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:21 PM   #373
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
He doesn’t care about his own kid, no way he cares about anybody else’s.
I agree, but we also know he lies like crazy.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:23 PM   #374
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Ah.... we're already under 31 going back as far as President Carter. We're still under George W. Bush's 9/11 National Emergency Deceleration.

The only difference is what Trumps wants to declare the emergency over. Hell he's already declared 3 and it barely made the news because they were routine.
Isn't it time to do some housekeeping and tidy that **** up. It's like leaving your dirty dishes scattered around your house.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:25 PM   #375
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The emergencies he declared before were local and related to natural disasters;this is a lot different.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:26 PM   #376
Bob001
Philosopher

Wife of Trump communications director is strident anti-vaxxer:
Quote:
Darla Shine, the wife of White House communications chief Bill Shine, falsely claimed on Wednesday that childhood diseases such as measles "keep you healthy" and "fight cancer."

In a series of tweets promoting anti-vaccination conspiracy theories – views which she has espoused publicly for years – Shine bemoaned the fact her children had received the MMR vaccine, which shields recipients against measles, mumps and rubella. She falsely claimed that her generation, the Baby Boomers, were healthier now, because they had measles as children.
https://www.salon.com/2019/02/14/a-d...p-you-healthy/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:33 PM   #377
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Wife of Trump communications director is strident anti-vaxxer:

https://www.salon.com/2019/02/14/a-d...p-you-healthy/
Baby boomers have declining life spans
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:40 PM   #378
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Moved to new National Emergency Thread//

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 14th February 2019 at 04:44 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:16 PM   #379
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That explains why he keeps threatening it without doing it. Attention seeking is what the evidence supports.
Vox's latest Strikethrough examines why this is going to be a perpetual problem even after the glaring case of NPD leaves the office.
President Trump was ready to sign a spending bill to keep the government open in December. Then he turned on the TV.
Video imbedded in tweet.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:32 PM   #380
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

TRump's obsession with TV is truly scary.
And, worse, he is beginning to appoint other TV celebs to cabinent offices.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:57 PM   #381
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I think we Brits can lay claim to the dumbest timeline currently running, if only by a whisker.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:18 PM   #382
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
TRump's obsession with TV is truly scary...
When someone like Rex Tillerson called him an idiot, there was a reason.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:36 PM   #383
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I think we Brits can lay claim to the dumbest timeline currently running, if only by a whisker.
No. To claim victory Boris would have to be PM.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:37 PM   #384
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
When someone like Rex Tillerson called him an idiot, there was a reason.
Moron.

F. King Moron, at your service.
Old 14th February 2019, 07:06 PM   #385
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
That may yet fit on the timeline, as may the equally ludicrous Jacob Rees-Smug. The Maybot as PM is hard to beat in itself.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 07:18 PM   #386
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Unlike the USA, where the current PM is Vlad.
Old 14th February 2019, 08:13 PM   #387
Tero
Graduate Poster

Is it signed yet? I didn’t want to start abusing him on twitter yet. Till its safe.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 10:18 PM   #388
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Is it signed yet? I didn’t want to start abusing him on twitter yet. Till its safe.
In about ten hours. His official WH schedule show him "addressing the humanitarian crisis at 10:00 AM. He then has his "Intelligence Briefing" (waste of time, that) then four hours of TV and Big Boy Golf Simulator then he and the little woman are off to Mar A Lago where his rich donors can give him Attaboys and he can let slip some state secrets.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 10:59 PM   #389
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's simple.

Trump "It's a crisis because I say so."
Democrats "No it isn't."
Trump "Are you gonna stop me?"
Democrats "Well... no but I'm sure Pelosi is going to sarcastically clap at you again or something."
Trump "Well there you go."
Alternately, the Democrats challenge it in court. Given that it's regarding a claimed national emergency, however obviously it's not one, the ruling is unlikely to take too long to reach. Which way it goes is somewhat questionable, though, given what specifics are invoked. The ambiguity of what legally constitutes a national emergency can serve as a counter to the simple fact that it simply isn't a national emergency in any meaningful sense and nor has the Trump Administration actually been treating it as such, for example (declaring that you'll declare an emergency and immediately flying off to Mar-a-Largo to play golf isn't especially convincing). Even if it has been employing strategies that can reliably counted on to intentionally worsen the situation overall. There's apparently other, potentially even more viable legal challenges that can be made, though.

Alternately, Congress can declare it "not an emergency" with a simple resolution. The House will pass such without a problem, likely. The Senate? Hard to say.

He very much cares about the public opinions of President Hannity and President Coulter! That's almost the same thing!
Old 14th February 2019, 11:05 PM   #390
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

He very much cares about the public opinions of President Hannity and President Coulter! That's almost the same thing!
It is like bank robbery. Bank robbers are not doing it for the money. They are doing it for what the money can buy. They actually want to get rid of the money after they get it.

Trump doesn't want the wall just like bank robbers dont want the money.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 11:21 PM   #391
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Someone on Quora asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?" Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote this magnificent response:

ETA: The other answers section of that quora page has some entertaining picture on it.

Last edited by TofuFighter; 15th February 2019 at 12:02 AM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:14 AM   #392
TofuFighter
Master Poster

It isn't.

This is ALL about OPTICS. NOTHING MORE.
At least one person agrees with you...

TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:22 AM   #393
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, it sure holds no value...

Hahahaha! Excellent!

I do believe that is one of the greatest comebacks since Lazarus!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:29 AM   #394
Dabop
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Now, now, this is Trump we're talking about. Sledgehammer and a wood screw.
And he's hammering the sledgehammer home with the screw....

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:42 AM   #395
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“After The Flight 93 Election, The Vote That Saved America - And What We Still Have To Lose,” by very talented Michael Anton, is a terrific read. Check it out!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:44 AM   #396
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

The White House
‏Verified account
@WhiteHouse

@PressSec: President Trump will sign the government funding bill, and as he has stated before, he will also take other executive action—including a national emergency—to ensure we stop the national security and humanitarian crisis at the border.

The President is once again delivering on his promise to build the wall, protect the border, and secure our great country.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:57 AM   #397
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Alternately, the Democrats challenge it in court. Given that it's regarding a claimed national emergency, however obviously it's not one, the ruling is unlikely to take too long to reach. Which way it goes is somewhat questionable, though, given what specifics are invoked. The ambiguity of what legally constitutes a national emergency can serve as a counter to the simple fact that it simply isn't a national emergency in any meaningful sense and nor has the Trump Administration actually been treating it as such, for example (declaring that you'll declare an emergency and immediately flying off to Mar-a-Largo to play golf isn't especially convincing). Even if it has been employing strategies that can reliably counted on to intentionally worsen the situation overall. There's apparently other, potentially even more viable legal challenges that can be made, though.

Alternately, Congress can declare it "not an emergency" with a simple resolution. The House will pass such without a problem, likely. The Senate? Hard to say.

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12078

This whole wall thing is facade. Its all about Der Trumpenführer... he wants a fight because in the fabulist fantasy-land that is Trumpworld, he thinks he looks at his best in a ding dong knock-em-down, drag-em-out. Its all playing to his base, to make himself look strong to them. He's a narcissist, so the fact that the rest of America thinks its a total dick move won't have even occurred to him.

The reality is that Trump was NEVER going to not sign this bill; he has only been playing the "will he - won't he" game. Mitch McGruppenführer will have made it very clear to Trump that he could see at least 70 Senate votes for the bill, which is enough to make the bill immune to a Presidential veto. The moment this happened, Trump became irrelevant - it didn't matter whether Trump signed it or not. In the end, the Senate vote was 83-16, and in fact it is even worse than that because 5 Democrats voted against the bill (Cory Booker, Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris and two others)

IMO, Mitch McGruppenführer might be a bit smarter that I have previously given him credit for; I think he is playing the long game.

Back before the shutdown, he said it was a really bad idea, then when it happened, he went along with it. When the shutdown turned into an abject disaster for Der Trumpenführer, Mitch ultimately stepped in and convinced him to relent. This came across as Der Trumpenführer caving in.

Now, he has said that declaring A National Emergency would be a bad thing, but if I were a betting man, I would bet that Mitch will go along with it. He will do this because he knows this is going backfire really badly.

Trump's medieval vanity wall is never going to be built.. it won't even get a start. If this National Emergency is declared by Trump, it will backfire really badly on him. IMO, and Mitch knows this very well; he is feeding Trump rope - enough rope so that he will hang himself with it.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 03:31 AM   #398
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
In about ten hours. His official WH schedule show him "addressing the humanitarian crisis at 10:00 AM. He then has his "Intelligence Briefing" (waste of time, that) then four hours of TV and Big Boy Golf Simulator then he and the little woman are off to Mar A Lago where his rich donors can give him Attaboys and he can let slip some state secrets.
You are so unkind. Keep it up.

Old 15th February 2019, 04:19 AM   #399
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12078
...wasn't she pro-Trump? Or did she switch because he's not conservative enough?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 04:44 AM   #400
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

In 2016 Ann Coulter said she "worshiped" Trump. She began to bail not long after he got in office. I forget the issue that started the split. It was discussed here but I don't remember what it was.

Now she says Trump's goal is to get his "stupidest voters" to buy in. The coalition the Republicans have has always been pretty cynical. But then blue-collar, working-class folks partnering with the GOP is, on its face, pretty stupid. Rare you hear one of them be so upfront about it.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics