ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th February 2019, 02:26 AM   #441
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well, that's what the folks at Defense and in the halls of the Pentagon will have to worry about. If the DoD rolls over for Trump's wet dream, then next season's funding initiatives are going to be prefaced with a lot of discussion about there being so much over-calculated for Defense that they had five billion in spare change lying around that they donated to The Trump Wall and Re-Election Fund.

The current bill for keeping funding going has a proviso on almost every line that the money can't be used for any purposes other than as outlined in the Act. They'll do this next year, too.
Only about 10 billion is for construction and engineering, not a huge amount given all the infrastructure the military has to maintain and new stuff they build.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 03:34 AM   #442
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

New York prosecutors have subpoenaed Trump's inaugural committee
Old 16th February 2019, 04:18 AM   #443
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
"Trump's stupidest voters"?

Boy, that would be a tough thing to rate on a scale.
Actually, a good scale would be the number of Ann Coulter's books they bought.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 07:06 AM   #444
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
...In slightly tangential news to that, Too Close to Trump? FOX News Won’t Run Ad for Oscar-Nominated Anti-Nazi Documentary

More specifically, the rejection apparently came directly on orders from their CEO.
That is very bad news, and this is not a Godwin, this is really happening. Fox explained their decision (from the Times of Israel):
Quote:
The network declined to run the commercial for the 2017 Oscar-nominated “A Night at the Garden” because it was “full of disgraceful Nazi imagery regardless of the film’s message and did not meet our guidelines,” ad sales president Marianne Gambelli said in a statement...But the team behind the short documentary said the 30-second ad made it clear that it was telling the story of the event at Madison Square Garden as “an anti-Nazi cautionary tale,” director Marshall Curry said in a statement. Link
Of course, the producers also said, "The goal of distributing this film and all of our advertising for it has been to reach as many Americans as we can with a cautionary tale about demagogues who attack the press and scapegoat minorities,” he said, noting that the rally’s 80th anniversary is on Feb. 20." I'll bet Fox execs found that a little too close to Trump and decided on that basis -- the inference was too clear -- to refuse to run it.

Thereby effectively proving the producers' point: it could happen here.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 07:10 AM   #445
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

"Trump's stupidest voters"? ...
It's almost as if Coulter thinks that Trump's base is, gasp, deplorable?
Old 16th February 2019, 07:28 AM   #446
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the issue is going to be what constitutes an emergency or the President's right to decide that. Although such things could become elements of legal manuvuers.

What is going to be the core dispute is whether or not the President, having made such a declaration, can go on to use it as a means to access money (which has already been allocated by Congress explicitly for other purposes) for purposes which Congress has already explicitly denied him money for.

This is a fundamental dispute and attack on the intent of the Constitution and the allocation of powers between the several branches of government.
I don't disagree on what is likely to be the focus of the actual suits. (I don't really have any idea what we'll see.) I was responding to posts here, rather than the actual legal plans of potential plaintiffs.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 07:57 AM   #447
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Actually, a good scale would be the number of Ann Coulter's books they bought.

The ones who have shown a willingness to spend money on books ... let alone actually be able to read them ... have already disqualified thenselves.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 07:59 AM   #448
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't disagree on what is likely to be the focus of the actual suits. (I don't really have any idea what we'll see.) I was responding to posts here, rather than the actual legal plans of potential plaintiffs.

So was I.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 08:01 AM   #449
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

More on the Coulter-Trump smashup. At a news conference Donnie said:
Quote:
“I don’t know her,” he said before quickly correcting himself. “I hardly know her. I haven’t spoken to her in way over a year.” He noted, though, that she was an early predictor of his election victory. “So I like her, but she’s off the reservation,” he said. “But anybody that knows her understands that.” Link
Ms. Coulter fired back:
Quote:
“The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot,” she said on KABC radio in Los Angeles.
Sad!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 08:03 AM   #450
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

Ms. Coulter fired back:

Sad!
What is it with Trump and Native Americans? Off the reservation?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 08:49 AM   #451
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Actually the state AG of New Jersey, according to that article.
Old 16th February 2019, 08:54 AM   #452
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm not sure "said" is the correct verb here. Seems like he made a number of random noises which ressemble words.

Quote:
Ms. Coulter fired back:

Sad!
Not conservative enough, I suppose.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 10:18 AM   #453
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I had no idea about that book, so I looked it up on Amazon.

Best part: The people who viewed that particular book also viewed a product called a 'tactical spork'.
Wut?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 10:23 AM   #454
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Back in 2016, prior to the election, Ann Coulter wrote a best-selling book called "In Trump We Trust." In the book she explained why she would vote for Donnie and why she was urging others to do the same. In the book:
Quote:
Coulter explains why conservatives, moderates, and even disgruntled Democrats should set aside their doubts and embrace Trump:
  • He's putting America first in our trade deals and alliances, rather than pandering to our allies and enemies.
  • He's abandoned the GOP's decades-long commitment to a bellicose foreign policy, at a time when the entire country is sick of unnecessary wars.
  • He's ended GOP pandering to Hispanic activists with his hard-line policy on immigration. Working class Americans finally have a champion against open borders and cheap foreign labor.
  • He's overturned the media's traditional role in setting the agenda and defining who gets to be considered "presidential."
  • He's exposed political consultants as grifters and hacks, most of whom don't know real voters from a hole in the ground.
Link to Amazon book review
But of course the problem with Ann Coulter's book was, Trump hadn't actually done any of those things; he was merely saying he would. Taking a practiced liar at his word was not smart. (See Art of the Deal: "Tell them what they want to hear.") Of course, Ann Coulter is not naive. I think her main motive in writing "In Trump We Trust," was financial. These are some real quality people.

Drain the swamp!
Old 16th February 2019, 10:31 AM   #455
Belz...
Fiend God

But of course the problem with Ann Coulter's book was, Trump hadn't actually done any of those things; he was merely saying he would.
It's amazing how trusting people are when you tell them what they want to hear.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 11:10 AM   #456
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

In slightly tangential news to that, Too Close to Trump? FOX News Won’t Run Ad for Oscar-Nominated Anti-Nazi Documentary

More specifically, the rejection apparently came directly on orders from their CEO.
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...19747314909184

Quote:
Fox News refused to broadcast this anti-Nazi promo — but it had no problem running one for a conservative film that used Nazi imagery
Four and a half minute video embedded in tweet, including an interview with the director of the documentary in question, and both ads mentioned, as well as comparisons between the documentary footage and things said on-air by Fox News anchors.
Old 16th February 2019, 12:39 PM   #457
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
In slightly tangential news to that, Too Close to Trump? FOX News Won’t Run Ad for Oscar-Nominated Anti-Nazi Documentary

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...19747314909184

Quote:
Fox News refused to broadcast this anti-Nazi promo — but it had no problem running one for a conservative film that used Nazi imagery
Four and a half minute video embedded in tweet, including an interview with the director of the documentary in question, and both ads mentioned, as well as comparisons between the documentary footage and things said on-air by Fox News anchors.

One can hardly blame Faux News for being reluctant to air an advertisement which depicted Fascists and Nazis in a less than flattering manner.

After all, they wouldn't want to alienate their core market group.

Old 16th February 2019, 02:04 PM   #458
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Classy place that club of his.

Here is the Omelette bar.

Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #459
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

REAL tomato ketchup, Eddie?
Old 16th February 2019, 02:09 PM   #460
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Ms. Coulter fired back:

Sad!
Not in idiot on the way that the majority of us view it.

She means he is still not as big an idiot as her.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 02:40 PM   #461
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It's almost as if Coulter thinks that Trump's base is, gasp, deplorable?
It's not unusual for comfidence man..or in this case woman..to have contempt for the suckers they victimize.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 02:54 PM   #462
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Last night I finally got a chance to watch Trump's speech yesterday complete on C Span.
Be Afraid.Be Very Afraid. We have a mentally unbalanced man as President. All that was missing from his speech was for Trump clicking metal ball bearings between his fingers.
And McConnall was standing behind him. He clearly supports a deranged man as President because he thinks he can control him.McConell should read up on what happens to the German Conserbatives who thought they could control Hitler....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 03:32 PM   #463
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Last night I finally got a chance to watch Trump's speech yesterday complete on C Span.
Be Afraid.Be Very Afraid. We have a mentally unbalanced man as President. All that was missing from his speech was for Trump clicking metal ball bearings between his fingers.
And McConnall was standing behind him. He clearly supports a deranged man as President because he thinks he can control him.McConell should read up on what happens to the German Conserbatives who thought they could control Hitler....
Why is it that when Trump makes speeches he always has a possee standing behind him?
Old 16th February 2019, 04:03 PM   #464
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12079
"Can you walk the walk?"

No, Donald Trump is all talk.

Old 16th February 2019, 04:41 PM   #465
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
"Can you walk the walk?"

No, Donald Trump is all talk.
"Can you drive the golf cart over the green"?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 04:46 PM   #466
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
...We have a mentally unbalanced man as President. All that was missing from his speech was for Trump clicking metal ball bearings between his fingers...
I've thought of that many times. I'm waiting for when the White House commissary has fresh strawberries on the menu and Donnie misses out. I guess the one (major) difference is Lieutenant Commander Philip Queeg USN was basically a honorable man, but one beset by mental instability, possibly a result of combat-related stress. Trump has been considered a nutjob all his adult life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strawberries.jpg (19.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 16th February 2019, 05:32 PM   #467
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Trade negotiators have just returned from China where the meetings on Trade were very productive. Now at meetings with me at Mar-a-Lago giving the details. In the meantime, Billions of Dollars are being paid to the United States by China in the form of Trade Tariffs!
Old 16th February 2019, 05:33 PM   #468
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

BUILDING THE WALL!
Old 16th February 2019, 05:34 PM   #469
a_unique_person

Trump Tweets

Trade negotiators have just returned from China where the meetings on Trade were very productive. Now at meetings with me at Mar-a-Lago giving the details. In the meantime, Billions of Dollars are being paid to the United States by China in the form of Trade Tariffs!

Hasn't anyone got the guts to explain to him it's the Americans who are paying the billions yet?
Old 16th February 2019, 05:35 PM   #470
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

TRUMP: “What are we gonna build?”

“A WALL!”

TRUMP: “And who is going to pay for it?”

“Military families in need of housing, disaster victims and people suffering from the opioid epidemic!”

Mikel Jollett
Old 16th February 2019, 05:43 PM   #471
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Billions of Dollars are being paid to the United States by China in the form of Trade Tariffs!

Again? Jeezus, this man is giving stupidity a bad name. From Forbes (and from six long months ago!):
Quote:
[The president] showed a troubling lack of understanding about how the levies work. Trump bragged that “China is paying us billions of dollars in tariffs..."

Where to begin?

What is a tariff?
A tariff is a tax on imported goods. Despite what the president says, it is almost always paid directly by the importer (usually a domestic firm), and never by the exporting country. Thus, if the U.S. imposes a tariff on Chinese televisions, the duty is paid to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service at the border by a U.S. broker representing a U.S. importer, say, Costco. Link
Two possibilities. No one in the political world, including on the White House staff, has explained to Donnie, 'China isn't paying the tariffs' or, if they have explained it, he is too far gone to comprehend what they're telling him. More likely, he's preaching to his base, in the belief that base either doesn't understand how tariffs work or, if they do, out of loyalty to their Leader they'll pretend they don't understand.

And the nightmare continues.

Last edited by newyorkguy; 16th February 2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 16th February 2019, 05:49 PM   #472
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Why is it that when Trump makes speeches he always has a possee standing behind him?
Because if it was in his line of sight, he'd try to grab it.
Old 16th February 2019, 05:52 PM   #473
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Because if it was in his line of sight, he'd try to grab it.
Well played!
Old 16th February 2019, 06:00 PM   #474
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Hasn't anyone got the guts to explain to him it's the Americans who are paying the billions yet?
The problem isn't at the sending end, it's at the reception end. Always has been, always will be.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 06:27 PM   #475
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Billions of Dollars are being paid to the United States by China in the form of Trade Tariffs!

Again? Jeezus, this man is giving stupidity a bad name.
I'm sure Trump actually thinks that trade between China and the US is conducted by things called China and the US. He doesn't know what those things mean, nor feel the need to, he just hasa foggy concept along those lines. The idea that China-US trade is actually the integral of millions of simple buy-and-sell transactions is simply beyond Trump's comprehension, even in principle. And that's before any influence of extra-market complicating factors such as frickin' tarriffs.

Active shooters are clearly dangerous, but in the context of an active moron as US President pales somewhat.

Quote:
From Forbes (and from six long months ago!):
Let's face it, functioning intellects don't need Forbes's explanation. If anything needs explaining it's how the promise of a whole new century turned into this in less than 20 years.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 07:00 PM   #476
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Two possibilities. No one in the political world, including on the White House staff, has explained to Donnie, 'China isn't paying the tariffs' ...
For "explained", insert "has said stuff about", and we can surely dismiss this option. People will have said stuff to Trump about this. And every time, Trump will have heard "Blah blah blah ..." and wonder, if he wonders anything, why these people are talking to him. Or, indeed, who they are.

Quote:
... or, if they have explained it, he is too far gone to comprehend what they're telling him.
Trump may once have been able to grasp the impact of tariffs on international trade, but that would have been decades ago.
Quote:

More likely, he's preaching to his base, in the belief that base either doesn't understand how tariffs work or, if they do, out of loyalty to their Leader they'll pretend they don't understand.
Lets keep in mind that Trump - President of the US, lets not forget - doesn't understand how tarrifs work. Of course, the morons who voted for him don't even appreciate that there's something to understand in the first place.

Quote:
And the nightmare continues.
There's a worse alternative. However dark the day may seem, always keep this in mind : you don't have to be Trump. Trump does. For Trump, there is no escape.

For more comic relief, I suggest remembering that one is not The Big Dog and will never have to be. Not everybody can say that.

Old 16th February 2019, 08:04 PM   #477
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Why would you expect him to so much as acknowledge that, let alone let go of the lie or admit that he made a mistake?

I'd say that it's hard to say whether he understands tariffs or not by now, honestly. He's a blatantly lying self promoter, after all, and far more concerned about doing what he perceives as good for himself rather than doing what's good for the country. He's definitely the kind of guy who will keep up a charade rather than letting himself lose face, unless the alternative is losing much, much more face. He's the kind of guy who calls an endeavor a big success if he get a couple million while the people who worked with him unnecessarily lose tens of millions because of his major screw ups and he, too, loses out on potential future gains.

Last edited by Aridas; 16th February 2019 at 08:06 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 08:16 PM   #478
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12079
The only hot sauce option is tobacco!? Eww.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 08:19 PM   #479
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The only hot sauce option is tobacco!? Eww.
Tobacco you say? Your spell checker needs recalibrating.
Old 16th February 2019, 08:22 PM   #480
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Tobacco you say? Your spell checker needs recalibrating.
Auto-correct is a fickle tool.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics