ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th February 2019, 10:21 PM   #481
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Auto-correct is a fickle tool.
On my phone that sentence changes to read 'autocracy is a pickled fool'.
Old 16th February 2019, 10:40 PM   #482
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
On my phone that sentence changes to read 'autocracy is a pickled fool'.
That works
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 11:38 PM   #483
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Classy place that club of his.

Here is the Omelette bar.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12079
Don Jr: "I want a cheese omelet, no a western omelet, I want pancakes, I want a cappuccino, I want hash browns..."

Trump: "YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!"
Old 16th February 2019, 11:43 PM   #484
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
For "explained", insert "has said stuff about", and we can surely dismiss this option. People will have said stuff to Trump about this. And every time, Trump will have heard "Blah blah blah ..." and wonder, if he wonders anything, why these people are talking to him. Or, indeed, who they are.
Bob Woodward's book confirmed this. Lots of people (including the Chairman of the Federal Reserve IIRC) have tried to explain to Trump how tariffs work. He sits there nodding and appears to be listening, and then carries on as if no-one had said a word. So not only was he profoundly ignorant of everything he needed to know in order to do the job when he was elected, he is still just as profoundly ignorant two years later. Because he cannot be taught.
Old 17th February 2019, 12:23 AM   #485
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump doesn't learn from facts, only from consequences to him.
If he was still building hotels, he would realize how tariffs on steel affect the US.
Old 17th February 2019, 01:52 AM   #486
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

So, you know how Trump says that his presidency has made the US respected again internationally? Well...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1096826127384014848

Quote:
Speaking to a security conference in Munich, Pence tells his audience he brings greetings from President Trump... and not a single person claps. #awkward

Ivanka Trump is the only person in audience who doesn’t applaud after Angela Merkel points out the absurdity of Trump claiming German cars are a national security threat

OMG -- Pence was visibly shook in Poland when he received absolutely no reaction to what was clearly supposed to be an applause line about how "the time has come for our European partners to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal."
Videos embedded in tweets.
Old 17th February 2019, 02:22 AM   #487
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

How can that be?
Pence is the VP to The Most Christian King !

All Christdom owes him allegiance.
Old 17th February 2019, 02:27 AM   #488
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
So, you know how Trump says that his presidency has made the US respected again internationally? Well...

On that general topic, Pew has a bit to say...

Only Russia and Israel seem to actually favor Trump's leadership to Obama's on that list. As for the US in general...

In the surveyed countries, only Russia and Vietnam went up.

Mmm. Trump sounds like he's playing for an audience of... Russia. The US is more respected in Russia! Russia's international!
Old 17th February 2019, 03:10 AM   #489
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Is this our first genuine image of President Trump without his "good genes" spray-tan?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 03:16 AM   #490
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Egads. That first one is awkward enough, but the moment in Poland is almost painful to watch.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 03:27 AM   #491
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The United States is asking Britain, France, Germany and other European allies to take back over 800 ISIS fighters that we captured in Syria and put them on trial. The Caliphate is ready to fall. The alternative is not a good one in that we will be forced to release them........

....The U.S. does not want to watch as these ISIS fighters permeate Europe, which is where they are expected to go. We do so much, and spend so much - Time for others to step up and do the job that they are so capable of doing. We are pulling back after 100% Caliphate victory!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 03:30 AM   #492
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

Tom Fitton
‏Verified account
@TomFitton

BIG: Strzok/Page Docs Show More Collusion to Protect Hillary Clinton; Voter Fraud Crisis--Thousands of Aliens Illegally Voting, PLUS @RealDonaldTrump is first president in 70 years to take border security seriously. Major @JudicialWatch Update: https://youtu.be/bxGlWmF8Icw

Mueller Will Harass @RealDonaldTrump for Entire Term http://jwatch.us/8A3vSM via @JudicialWatch

@NYTIMES complains @realDonaldTrump crackdown on asylum scamming is working.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 04:36 AM   #493
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

First president to take border security seriously. By forcing the armed forces to build a wall.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 04:51 AM   #494
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Egads. That first one is awkward enough, but the moment in Poland is almost painful to watch.
Painful? I laughed out loud.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 05:11 AM   #495
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Tom Fitton
‏Verified account
@TomFitton

BIG: Strzok/Page Docs Show More Collusion to Protect Hillary Clinton; Voter Fraud Crisis--Thousands of Aliens Illegally Voting, PLUS @RealDonaldTrump is first president in 70 years to take border security seriously. Major @JudicialWatch Update: https://youtu.be/bxGlWmF8Icw

Mueller Will Harass @RealDonaldTrump for Entire Term http://jwatch.us/8A3vSM via @JudicialWatch

Trump Or Not: Only 21% chance this tweet was written by Donny. So who in the team is shilling for the boss on this today?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 05:19 AM   #496
Aridas

Tom Fitton
‏Verified account
@TomFitton

Just looked at the link for the highlighted. Saw about what I expected. A bunch of scaremongering and BS. For example, unsurprisingly, the recent Texas moronics were pointedly referred to, with minor concessions to the fact that those people could have been naturalized before voting, alongside lots of insults and misrepresentations of the left and the situation at hand there.
Old 17th February 2019, 05:39 AM   #497
Planigale
Illuminator

My first thought on seeing this;

Gentlemen do not wear hats indoors. (Exceptions made for religious requirements of course.)

I don't play golf although I do know that players are made to wear deliberately ugly clothing, I assume it is compulsory to wear a hat inside in golf club house?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 05:52 AM   #498
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
My first thought on seeing this;

Gentlemen do not wear hats indoors. (Exceptions made for religious requirements of course.)

I don't play golf although I do know that players are made to wear deliberately ugly clothing, I assume it is compulsory to wear a hat inside in golf club house?
My first thought was how cheap and tacky it looks. This is the club that Trump & family have boasted about micromanaging? The one where not a single bit of decor is there that wasn't personally approved by the family? And that tatty counter and those chairs and stools from a pub are the absolute pinnacle of class, are they?
Old 17th February 2019, 06:17 AM   #499
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

My first thought was how cheap and tacky it looks. This is the club that Trump & family have boasted about micromanaging? The one where not a single bit of decor is there that wasn't personally approved by the family? And that tatty counter and those chairs and stools from a pub are the absolute pinnacle of class, are they?
I'd have expected a bit more gilt but otherwise, yes. Pretty poor pub at that

And the poster behind the bar shows a distinct lack of self-awareness.

ETA: not surprisingly

link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 06:30 AM   #500
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

It turns out that Japan’s PM Shinzo Abe actually nominated Trump for Nobel Peace Prize last year...

only after the US government asked him to.

Quote:
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe nominated U.S. President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize last autumn after receiving a request from the U.S. government to do so, the Asahi newspaper reported on Sunday.

The report follows Trump’s claim on Friday that Abe had nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize for opening talks and easing tensions with North Korea.

The Japanese leader had given him “the most beautiful copy” of a five-page nomination letter, Trump said at a White House news conference.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 06:48 AM   #501
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Trump Or Not: Only 21% chance this tweet was written by Donny. So who in the team is shilling for the boss on this today?
He didn't write it, it's a tweet by someone else he is repeating.
Old 17th February 2019, 06:50 AM   #502
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Democrats in the Senate are still slow walking hundreds of highly qualified people wanting to come into government. Never been such an abuse in our country’s history. Mitch should not let Senate go home until all are approved. We need our Ambassadors and all others NOW!

Important meetings and calls on China Trade Deal, and more, today with my staff. Big progress being made on soooo many different fronts! Our Country has such fantastic potential for future growth and greatness on an even higher level!
Old 17th February 2019, 06:52 AM   #503
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

THE RIGGED AND CORRUPT MEDIA IS THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!

Nothing funny about tired Saturday Night Live on Fake News NBC! Question is, how do the Networks get away with these total Republican hit jobs without retribution? Likewise for many other shows? Very unfair and should be looked into. This is the real Collusion!

52% Approval Rating, 93% in Republican Party ( a record )! Pretty amazing considering that 93% (also) of my press is REALLY BAD. The “people” are SMART!
Old 17th February 2019, 06:54 AM   #504
Aridas

He didn't write it, it's a tweet by someone else he is repeating.
Assuming that it's actually him retweeting it?
Old 17th February 2019, 06:55 AM   #505
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

This probably sounded better in the original German.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 07:09 AM   #506
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Nothing funny about tired Saturday Night Live on Fake News NBC! Question is, how do the Networks get away with these total Republican hit jobs without retribution? Likewise for many other shows? Very unfair and should be looked into. This is the real Collusion!

Retribution? God, that’s a scary thought.
Old 17th February 2019, 07:10 AM   #507
Garrison
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

52% Approval Rating, 93% in Republican Party ( a record )! Pretty amazing considering that 93% (also) of my press is REALLY BAD. The “people” are SMART!

And this a week after some MAGA ******* attacked a BBC cameraman at his El Paso rally.
Old 17th February 2019, 07:12 AM   #508
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I dislike that bot. It hedges its bets too much. It should be possible to make a more confident one.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 07:41 AM   #509
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Oh what a wonderful video. I really enjoyed that.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 07:47 AM   #510
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

Does anyone know where these numbers are com8ng from?
Also, why is people in quotes?

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Really! WTF?

So, does he know better and is just saying this horse **** because he knows the rubes will lap it up?
Or does he really think NBC should be punished in some way?
Or something else?
Old 17th February 2019, 07:55 AM   #511
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Really! WTF?

So, does he know better and is just saying this horse **** because he knows the rubes will lap it up?
Or does he really think NBC should be punished in some way?
Or something else?
Check my sig line. It bothered me then, and it bothers me now.

History rhyming?
Old 17th February 2019, 08:00 AM   #512
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I just had a somewhat comforting thought. The Election is next year already. I think we'll make it until then.
Old 17th February 2019, 08:01 AM   #513
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Does anyone know where these numbers are com8ng from?
Got me. Rasmussen only has him at 50% so the usual suspect is out.

ETA: It appears to be made up.
1) Trump is not at 52% anymore even in outlier Rasmussen. He’s been back to 50% there every day since Monday. 2) He’s not at 93% with Republicans. Consistently in the high 80s. 3) Even 93% with Republicans wouldn’t be a record. Bush was in the high 90s for months after 9/11.

Last edited by Stacko; 17th February 2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 17th February 2019, 08:15 AM   #514
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Against a comedy show that makes fun him. It's weird to think he ran for president on a platform of toughness.
Old 17th February 2019, 08:48 AM   #515
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Obama's Nobel Peace Prize really bugs America's Smallest President.

Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel after US request: report

Originally Posted by France24.com
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe nominated US President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize last autumn after being requested to do so by Washington, a Japanese newspaper reported Sunday.

Washington sounded out Tokyo over the possibility of nominating Trump for the prize after his landmark summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un in June last year, an unnamed Japanese government source told the Asahi Shimbun.

The report came after Trump's claim on Friday that Abe had nominated him for the prize.
Pathetic.

(ETA: Ninja'd by Stako.) I have to wonder how this sits with Japanese to see Abe pander and play fetch for Donnie.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 17th February 2019 at 09:42 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 09:01 AM   #516
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A TV programme exercising their first amendment right to free speech by mocking the president is "collusion"? Does he even know what the word means?
Old 17th February 2019, 09:12 AM   #517
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

A TV programme exercising their first amendment right to free speech by mocking the president is "collusion"? Does he even know what the word means?
They're in collusion with Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, Jimmy Kimmel, John Oliver, Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, ... well, something very close to 100% of all comedians and satirists.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 09:40 AM   #518
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

(dup)
Old 17th February 2019, 09:45 AM   #519
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

English writer Nate White answers the question, "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Originally Posted by Nate White
A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of ****. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?'

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 17th February 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 17th February 2019, 09:58 AM   #520
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Great quote. Thanks!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics