ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 1st March 2019, 07:42 AM   #601
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'd rather not, thank you.

Sorry. Should have known to add not to do it without a full body condom on.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 07:46 AM   #602
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by cantonear1968 View Post
Sorry. Should have known to add not to do it without a full body condom on.
Well, we don't know where these posters have been, after all.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 07:49 AM   #603
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

If I could ask one question and it is an honest one:

I watched most of the Cohen testimony on Wednesday. I was struck by the draw-dropping behavior of the Republicans. They, in my opinion, were derelict of their congressional duty. They in no way were interested in uncovering possible crimes by the current President of the United States. In fact, quite the opposite; their interst lay in defending him and labeling Cohen a liar at every possible turn.

So my honest question is: did this same sort of behavior take place by democrats during the Clinton Benghazi hearings? I didn't watch any of it; a few clips from news reports is all. So I have no idea if the Democrats acted in the same partisan way.

Thank you.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 07:49 AM   #604
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Your jealous?
Your sentence is incomplete. His jealous what?
Old 1st March 2019, 08:30 AM   #605
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
You were actually writing “Ratsistance”, because you seemed to honestly think it was clever.

See also: “grifter”
Hi! I actually was writing both.

Ratsistance is bang on, spot on the money.

the Resistance is made up of grifters like Lanny Davis, and the mewling House Democrat Party members, etc.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 08:53 AM   #607
The Big Dog

Avid readers of this thread will note that I have discussed in some detail the reason why Cohen became the rat of the day, and fell under the sway of Super Rat Fink and Clinton-Grifter Lanny Davis. the reason is that Mueller and his thugs threatened Cohen's wife.

From his former close friend:

Quote:
Lynne Patton: […] 3) Many of you may already know that I considered Michael Cohen to be one of my very best friends. Countless people can confirm that we were virtually inseparable during my employment at Trump – and that he is, single-handedly – responsible for introducing me to the Trump family and effectively changing my entire life. I would be lying if I didn’t admit that my heart still breaks for him and for his family, with whom I had grown extremely close.

4) What many of you may not be aware of is the fact that I can personally confirm that the ONLY reason Michael Cohen “turned on” the President of the United States is because Mueller threatened to throw his wife in jail for up to 30 years. Period. She is the co-guarantor of a $20M personal loan that Mueller discovered Michael secured back in 2015 by falsely inflating the value of his taxi medallions – effectively making her part & parcel to the federal charge of “Making False Statements to a Financial Institution,” to which Cohen ultimately plead guilty. This is also the reason why Cohen’s longtime taxi medallion partner, Evgeny “Gene” Freidman, was granted immunity. (read more)
This should be chilling, but no doubt it will be gobbled down with relish by the Never Trumpers.

Sad. Link
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 08:54 AM   #608
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

the Resistance is made up of grifters like Lanny Davis, and the mewling House Democrat Party members, etc.
Whoo hoo!
Old 1st March 2019, 08:56 AM   #609
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Link appears broken.

Old 1st March 2019, 08:57 AM   #610
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay so what's the narrative been reduced to now? That Trump, the bestest at everything, is so monumentally bad at picking members of his most intimate inner circle that at this point damn near literally all of them have either turned evil or betrayed him?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:01 AM   #611
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Avid readers of this thread will note that I have discussed in some detail the reason why Cohen became the rat of the day, and fell under the sway of Super Rat Fink and Clinton-Grifter Lanny Davis. the reason is that Mueller and his thugs threatened Cohen's wife.

From his former close friend:

This should be chilling, but no doubt it will be gobbled down with relish by the Never Trumpers.

Sad. Link
You understand that there is nothing in that article which proves Cohen lied about what he knew. Even taken at face value, that this friend can personally confirm his actions, it does not make his testimony untrue. His wife can be threatened and that's why he chose to cooperate about his actions as Trump's fixer.

Old 1st March 2019, 09:03 AM   #612
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay so what's the narrative been reduced to now? That Trump, the bestest at everything, is so monumentally bad at picking members of his most intimate inner circle that at this point damn near literally all of them have either turned evil or betrayed him?
And surprisingly, a lot of them were also bad when he hired them in the first place.

I think the GOP is just hoping nobody remembers the cheques signed by Trump.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:05 AM   #613
Armitage72
Master Poster

So my honest question is: did this same sort of behavior take place by democrats during the Clinton Benghazi hearings? I didn't watch any of it; a few clips from news reports is all. So I have no idea if the Democrats acted in the same partisan way.

The big difference is that there was no credible evidence presented during the several dozen Benghazi hearings.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:07 AM   #614
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I thought it was that bloke Gaetz who did that?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:10 AM   #615
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You'd think that pattern of discovering that once you scratch the surface of these cats they are rotten would maybe start ringing a bell by now...
Old 1st March 2019, 09:12 AM   #616
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The big difference is that there was no credible evidence presented during the several dozen Benghazi hearings.

Guy who was convicted of lying to Congress puts on a dog and pony show for the Resistance; Credible? Hoo boy.

Although I do fully concede that there was no credible evidence during the Benghazi hearings on October 22, 2015 and January 23, 2013...'What Difference, Does It Make?'
Old 1st March 2019, 09:12 AM   #617
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You'd think that pattern of discovering that once you scratch the surface of these cats they are rotten would maybe start ringing a bell by now...
It looks like there's no bell to ring there.
Old 1st March 2019, 09:12 AM   #618
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah but are they bluepilled? That's what I want to know.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:14 AM   #619
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

I watched most of the Cohen testimony on Wednesday. I was struck by the draw-dropping behavior of the Republicans.
I assume you meant "drawers-dropping".

I don't remember anything similar, but I assume a few Democrats did and I've just forgotten about it. I hope someone will cite specific examples of Democrats behaving just as badly in hearings such as this.

Your question is a little unfair, since there were something on the order of six separate hearings on Benghazi, so there were more opportunities for misbehavior by members of both parties. If you're asking about the one in which Hillary Clinton testified, which lasted 11 hours, almost all observers who have retained any shred of credibility say Clinton handled herself admirably. Before the hearing, however, a couple of Republican representatives had made public statements suggesting that, in their mind, the hearings were at least partly about the political goal of diminishing Clinton's support among potential voters. Some of the Democratic representatives suggested repeatedly that the real goal of the hearing was primarily political. The following exchange between committee chair Trey Gowdy and Elijah Cummings was apparently one of the more noteworthy:
Quote:
Cummings: "I move we put into the record the entire transcript of Sidney Blumenthal."
Gowdy: "We’re not going to take that up at a hearing."
Cummings: "You asked for the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!"
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:22 AM   #620
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
I assume you meant "drawers-dropping".

I don't remember anything similar, but I assume a few Democrats did and I've just forgotten about it. I hope someone will cite specific examples of Democrats behaving just as badly in hearings such as this.

Your question is a little unfair, since there were something on the order of six separate hearings on Benghazi, so there were more opportunities for misbehavior by members of both parties. If you're asking about the one in which Hillary Clinton testified, which lasted 11 hours, almost all observers who have retained any shred of credibility say Clinton handled herself admirably. Before the hearing, however, a couple of Republican representatives had made public statements suggesting that, in their mind, the hearings were at least partly about the political goal of diminishing Clinton's support among potential voters. Some of the Democratic representatives suggested repeatedly that the real goal of the hearing was primarily political. The following exchange between committee chair Trey Gowdy and Elijah Cummings was apparently one of the more noteworthy:
Yes. That is what I was specifically asking about and thank you for your response. I too have no doubt this was political theatre leading up to the 2016 election. And from your description it sounds like this was handled , for the most part, with more semblance of hearing decorum than what I witnessed on Wednesday. There was no doubt the GOP in the Cohen hearing were there as Trump's defense team. It was rather shameful to watch.

Old 1st March 2019, 09:28 AM   #621
The Big Dog

Lets not turn this into a rehashing of the benghazi thread, which already exist, and was filled with useful information by actually forum superstars like 16.5.
Old 1st March 2019, 09:31 AM   #622
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Cohen implied somewhere around 17 crimes by Trump, but don't worry; the only ones that will stick are the ones that can be corroborated. Well, actually, I guess that means you should worry, since some already have been. Or do you really think the continued attacks of Cohen will distract from your Super Rat King's crimes? Do you have a Plan B?

But as for "no Russian collusion," Cohen testified that he believes Donnie Jr. told Trump about the Trump Tower meeting, and that he heard Roger Stone tell Trump about being in contact with WikiLeaks about distributing stolen emails. We already know there was collusion, without Cohen's testimony; we're just waiting to see who Mueller indicts.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:42 AM   #623
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And surprisingly, a lot of them were also bad when he hired them in the first place.
Trump said they were the best people. Are you calling Trump a liar?
Old 1st March 2019, 09:42 AM   #624
The Big Dog

"Michael Cohen, Trump's most trusted & intimate fixer who now hates him, was (a) never in Prague, (b) knows of no blackmail leverage the Kremlin has & (c) never heard any attempts to conspire with Russia over the election. The media silence over these crucial facts is deafening."

Glenn Greenwald

/not sure if Cohen hates "Mr. Trump" or that is an act designed to protect his wife from the Mueller Gang of Thugs
Old 1st March 2019, 09:43 AM   #625
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I thought it was that bloke Gaetz who did that?
And Trump threatened his father-in-law.
Old 1st March 2019, 09:46 AM   #626
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Cohen implied somewhere around 17 crimes by Trump, but don't worry; the only ones that will stick are the ones that can be corroborated. Well, actually, I guess that means you should worry, since some already have been. Or do you really think the continued attacks of Cohen will distract from your Super Rat King's crimes? Do you have a Plan B?

But as for "no Russian collusion," Cohen testified that he believes Donnie Jr. told Trump about the Trump Tower meeting, and that he heard Roger Stone tell Trump about being in contact with WikiLeaks about distributing stolen emails. We already know there was collusion, without Cohen's testimony; we're just waiting to see who Mueller indicts.
All of your circumstantial evidence of collusion can also be used to support an explanation of no conclusion.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:57 AM   #627
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
All of your circumstantial evidence of collusion can also be used to support an explanation of no conclusion.
Nonsense; the only issue is whether or not Trump will personally get away with "plausible deniability." The Trump Tower meeting was collusion: Donnie Jr. and cohorts met with Russians to find out what kind of dirt they had on Hillary and what they wanted for it, and Donnie Jr. basically admits that he didn't think it was worth what they wanted: lifting Magnitsky Act sanctions. But then we know that Donnie Sr. did try to lift the sanctions without Congressional involvement, which is circumstantial evidence that a different deal was reached. And we know that Manafort gave private polling data to Russia right at the time they were targeting their anti-Hillary social media campaign.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:58 AM   #628
carlitos
"más divertido"

Something I heard recently, that made me think. A smoking gun is circumstantial evidence. Whoa, dude.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 10:03 AM   #629
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Nonsense; the only issue is whether or not Trump will personally get away with "plausible deniability." The Trump Tower meeting was collusion: Donnie Jr. and cohorts met with Russians to find out what kind of dirt they had on Hillary and what they wanted for it, and Donnie Jr. basically admits that he didn't think it was worth what they wanted: lifting Magnitsky Act sanctions. But then we know that Donnie Sr. did try to lift the sanctions without Congressional involvement, which is circumstantial evidence that a different deal was reached. And we know that Manafort gave private polling data to Russia right at the time they were targeting their anti-Hillary social media campaign.
Here is the alternative explanation: nothing came from the meeting because she misrepresented what she had.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 10:04 AM   #630
Belz...
Fiend God

Lets not turn this into a rehashing of the benghazi thread, which already exist, and was filled with useful information by actually forum superstars like 16.5.

Old 1st March 2019, 10:04 AM   #631
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Something I heard recently, that made me think. A smoking gun is circumstantial evidence. Whoa, dude.
Yes, circumstantial evidence is any evidence that requires an inference to relate it to a crime, and when you see someone holding a smoking gun over a dead body, there's only one possible inference.
Old 1st March 2019, 10:08 AM   #632
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Wasn't attempting to. I asked an honest question about those hearings in relation to the Cohen hearings. I was actually hoping you would have answered.

Old 1st March 2019, 10:09 AM   #633
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1101490020697792518

Quote:
Rep. Eric Swalwell on closed-door meeting with Cohen: "We learned a lot more new valuable information about what Michael Cohen heard, saw, did, was asked to do, and he's going to come back in a couple of days with some corroborating documents and take more questions from us."
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 1st March 2019, 10:10 AM   #634
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, circumstantial evidence is any evidence that requires an inference to relate it to a crime, and when you see someone holding a smoking gun over a dead body, there's only one possible inference.
And there is a non criminal inference based on. The circumstantial evidence.
Old 1st March 2019, 10:12 AM   #635
Belz...
Fiend God

That he chased the murderer away and took his gun?

Old 1st March 2019, 10:12 AM   #636
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Here is the alternative explanation: nothing came from the meeting because she misrepresented what she had.
The very nature of the meeting makes it collusion, and anyway, we're only on version 5.0 or so of what happened at the meeting.
Old 1st March 2019, 10:14 AM   #637
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That he chased the murderer away and took his gun?
And it's still smoking?
Old 1st March 2019, 10:18 AM   #638
Belz...
Fiend God

And it's still smoking?
It was either just seconds ago, or he was firing at the fleeing murderer, also seconds ago.

Old 1st March 2019, 10:20 AM   #639
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The very nature of the meeting makes it collusion, and anyway, we're only on version 5.0 or so of what happened at the meeting.
No, it doesn't. If I try to get in touch with the mafia, but I only get in touch with someone lying about how well they know the mafia, I never actually colluded with the mafia.
Old 1st March 2019, 10:26 AM   #640
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

No, it doesn't. If I try to get in touch with the mafia, but I only get in touch with someone lying about how well they know the mafia, I never actually colluded with the mafia.
However that isn't an accurate analogy for the Trump Tower meeting.

Trying to get in touch with the mafia and actually having a meeting with the mafia is a better analogy.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics