ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th May 2019, 03:06 PM   #1
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Next scam iteration

They keep on trying this crap because a small percentage will continue to fall for it.

Recieved via SMS

DNS query shows the URL goes to Moscow.

...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 30th May 2019 at 03:12 PM.
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Wolrab
Illuminator

The hyperlink doesn't work.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 07:32 PM   #3
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Works for me. Oh well. Try this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H6O5pxm_ed.jpg (11.0 KB, 16 views)

abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 09:06 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I get those as well, although not from the Bank of Ireland! Usually it's something like my Google account has been locked.
Old 31st May 2019, 10:22 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My dearest insert name here:

With deep regret I must reveal the discovery that your Facegoogle and Amazone accounts have been locked due to mischicaneration. Please send me your account numbers, passwords, social security number, and a detailed account of your most erotic fantasy to resolve this problem.

Yours insert adverb here,
Insert random name from their contact list here.
Old 31st May 2019, 10:29 AM   #6
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

New one for me was they called ("from Washington D.C.") and told me that my social security number had been "suspended".

I suppose that means I don't have to pay SS taxes now?
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Phishing via SMS is not exactly a new thing....
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Works for me. Oh well. Try this.
Darn, I'll never know my 365 status.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 10:42 AM   #9
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Yeah, my bank usually calls me "dear." Seems legit.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 10:49 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

An archaeologist recently translated a cuneiform tablet from Babylon. It read "O honored Shamash-Ur, your account with Bilgamat the donkey-seller has been questioned. Submit your personal seal to the following address to reclaim your access. Respect unto you from Rachel at Card Services."
Old 31st May 2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Wolrab
Illuminator

Good old Rachel, she's had quite a run.
Old 31st May 2019, 11:00 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Good old Rachel, she's had quite a run.
I got a call the other day from "Claire at Card Services" and I got quite upset. What has she done to Rachel?!
Old 31st May 2019, 02:21 PM   #13
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I got a call the other day from "Claire at Card Services" and I got quite upset. What has she done to Rachel?!

Rachel ran off with Lenny and the ducks to live a life of religious fulfillment :

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 04:13 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Old 31st May 2019, 04:19 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Rachel ran off with Lenny and the ducks to live a life of religious fulfillment :

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
That's hilarious.
Old 31st May 2019, 04:23 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The latest scam here are those guys that try to sell you a fake Rolex on the street corner have taken to pretending their cars have broken down or they are out of gas. They ask for money but say they are desperate and willing to trade you for a fat gold chain or that Rolex.

One guy got ripped off for 10K. No doubt his greed got him, thinking he was getting such a great deal on that Rolex.
Old 31st May 2019, 07:55 PM   #17
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The latest scam here are those guys that try to sell you a fake Rolex on the street corner have taken to pretending their cars have broken down or they are out of gas. They ask for money but say they are desperate and willing to trade you for a fat gold chain or that Rolex.

One guy got ripped off for 10K. No doubt his greed got him, thinking he was getting such a great deal on that Rolex.
On assignment* from a friend in Chicago, I shopped the Fake Rolex Alley in Bangkok back in the 80s. They had fake every brand, with several models of each manufacturer. When I asked why one Rolex was 300 but a nearly identical one was 400, my guide asked and then translated, pointing to the face of the watch... "This one says Quartz". I laughed because he didn't realize how accurate he was.... "it SAYS "Quartz"... not that it is Quartz.
(300 baht vs 400 baht = $9 vs $12.50 and you could negotiate them downwards)

*He didn't want to fool people, he wanted pride-of-ownership in one of the infamous fake Rolexes.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 08:49 PM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

A couple of years ago I did the whole reply to the email thing to annoy them.

It was a gmail account I only use for faffing about.

They actually held out pretty well to give them credit.

They only gave up when I insisted the 21,000,006ish dollars needed to split three ways, between my dying mother, sister with 15 kids and me, complete with made up bank accounts and passwords for three different banks all using the right bank branch code formats.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 09:25 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
On assignment* from a friend in Chicago, I shopped the Fake Rolex Alley in Bangkok back in the 80s. They had fake every brand, with several models of each manufacturer. When I asked why one Rolex was 300 but a nearly identical one was 400, my guide asked and then translated, pointing to the face of the watch... "This one says Quartz". I laughed because he didn't realize how accurate he was.... "it SAYS "Quartz"... not that it is Quartz.
(300 baht vs 400 baht = $9 vs $12.50 and you could negotiate them downwards)

*He didn't want to fool people, he wanted pride-of-ownership in one of the infamous fake Rolexes.
A coworker of mine bought a fake Rolex in Hong Kong. He was assured by the seller that it was a very good one because it had a Seiko movement.
Old 31st May 2019, 09:55 PM   #20
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Couple of e-mails recently ostensibly from my ISP (Supanet) and since it has got past virus protection, I open the e-mail. It starts with, 'Dear Soupnet* Customer'. Well, I listen to everything so of course I hear the correct pronunciation, but I wonder how many would simply glance at that and not notice. Mind you, I suppose it speaks quite well for the size and stability of Supanet!

*Actually, I don't know if that is how it was spelt but that sounds right!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 10:13 PM   #21
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

I keep getting an email that includes an old, leaked password of mine, saying "I've hacked your social media using this password to install spyware on your computer and recorded you in a compromising position using your webcam. Give me money using bitcoins or I'll send the video to your contacts" - or words to that effect.

I don't even have a webcam, and I haven't used that password in years.

Connected to that, I also got an email from a betting website I used once, about 10 years ago, reminding me of my username. So they're obviously trying their luck using that password on random websites.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 10:17 PM   #22
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Here they ring us up. Always a different number. The errors they make are really bad. The people who fall for them must be really stupid. One of them I did a <rule 0> <rule 0> <rule 0> <rule 0> on. He kept on ringing back. Not that I noticed as it was nighttime and the phone was in another room. He wasted hours on me. Hope he got the sack or worse.
Old 31st May 2019, 10:35 PM   #23
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
I keep getting an email that includes an old, leaked password of mine, saying "I've hacked your social media using this password to install spyware on your computer and recorded you in a compromising position using your webcam. Give me money using bitcoins or I'll send the video to your contacts" - or words to that effect.

I don't even have a webcam, and I haven't used that password in years.

Connected to that, I also got an email from a betting website I used once, about 10 years ago, reminding me of my username. So they're obviously trying their luck using that password on random websites.
If it is a throw away email account answer with this

"The children you saw die on my web cam were largely street kids who are hardly going to be missed by their parents, let alone authorities, and I have learned over the years how to clean away evidence very very thoroughly. I have no idea how bitcoin works, but if you send me your contact details I am willing to personally hand over a small amount of recompense to stop you releasing the footage"

"But I warn you. Please do not cross me in our arrangement as I have close associates who can become very very angry when their enforcers are crossed"

"
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 05:59 AM   #24
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The latest group of scams that have been reported to us by students involve “job offers” that show up in their e-mail, often various department e-mails rather than personal.

The job offer involves making money by taking surveys.... In order to get you started, they send you a generous check, which they tell the kid to cash and then buy X number of Apple gift cards. You send those back to the “company” and keep the balance.

Often, the checks look good enough so that the bank will actuallly cash them... Of course they don’t clear.
One kid I had come in just before graduation actually had the sense to become suspicious...
Others have taken the bait.

We also had a Chinese graduate student come in... No child, 25 years old. She’d been contacted by an outfit representing themselves as the equivalent of the IRS in Taiwan. She owed 20,000 dollars in back taxes....
Girl forked over the money. I guess, being from a rather regimented and authoritarian society, some of these folks never think to question.....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 07:08 AM   #25
TX50
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Phishing via SMS is not exactly a new thing....
Only now they call it "smishing"
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 07:11 AM   #26
TX50
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
The latest group of scams that have been reported to us by students involve “job offers” that show up in their e-mail, often various department e-mails rather than personal.
The good old "We found your CV/resume online and wish to offer you the position of Financial Officer with our company" money laundering scam is still going around.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 07:40 AM   #27
wasapi
Philosopher

I told a scammer that the $25 million that I was to receive (as soon as I sent all of my personal information) from a foreign bank, that he should give it to charity, since I was already a wealthy, wealthy old lady.

Mistake. He really thought it was necessary to pursue me then , and became relentless. Finally, I told him that my son had just warned me that it may be a scam, and asked naively, "Sir, is it a scam?"

Never heard from him again. I could have really used that money!
Old 1st June 2019, 07:58 AM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I find answering the phone "[state] attorney general's office" gets a lot of immediate hangups.
Old 1st June 2019, 08:21 AM   #29
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

I usually don't bother picking up the phone on scam calls but once in a blue moon I'll answer and use the Fijian's dialogue from AT&T's "Bula vinaka, beachside" commercial :

I AGREE

So far no one has realized that they're not really talking to a cabana boy from the 80s.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 08:25 AM   #30
fuelair
Banned

Probably ate her. If you get my drift and I think you do...……..
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 09:06 AM   #31
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Darn, I'll never know my 365 status.
Meh. They apparently don't know my name.

Old 1st June 2019, 09:32 AM   #32
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

S.F. county Sheriff's deputy working warrants at the HOJ gets social security "your account is locked" scam call and plays along up to the point where the gift card payment comes into play, and refuses to play along.

Caller say's police are on the way to take him into custody. Deputy gives them the 850 Bryant St. address and tells them to check in with Deputy "X" downstairs and he'll direct the officers where to find him.

Caller isn't even phased - accent and grammar leads Deputy to believe that the caller is ESL, and the Deputy advises caller to google 850 Bryant so the cops know where to find him - caller is unmoved - Deputy still waiting on the posse to make an appearance.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 11:03 AM   #33
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We also had a Chinese graduate student come in... No child, 25 years old. She’d been contacted by an outfit representing themselves as the equivalent of the IRS in Taiwan. She owed 20,000 dollars in back taxes....
Girl forked over the money. I guess, being from a rather regimented and authoritarian society, some of these folks never think to question.....
Ever get one of these calls on your mobile and hear a female voice speaking rapid-fire Chinese? She did. It's an ongoing scam targeting immigrants.
Old 1st June 2019, 11:12 AM   #34
malbui
Beauf

I’ve had a wave of attempted comments on one of my websites blackmailing me into paying 0.5 bitcoins if I don’t want to have my reputation besmirched across the Internet. If only they knew I already have a reputation that makes Tragic Monkey look like a particularly angelic and clean-cut choirboy.
Old 1st June 2019, 12:43 PM   #35
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
I’ve had a wave of attempted comments on one of my websites blackmailing me into paying 0.5 bitcoins if I don’t want to have my reputation besmirched across the Internet. If only they knew I already have a reputation that makes Tragic Monkey look like a particularly angelic and clean-cut choirboy.
Why is this characteristic important for a choirboy? I should think the question of whether or not a choirboy is circumcised would only be of interest to priests.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 12:51 PM   #36
Retrograde
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ever get one of these calls on your mobile and hear a female voice speaking rapid-fire Chinese? She did. It's an ongoing scam targeting immigrants.

I live in Silicon Valley (the real one, not one of those wannabe parts of San Francisco), which has a large Chinese population. I've gotten the Chinese "IRS" scams a few times - they either call randomly or go through all numbers in a given area in the hope they'll get that one sucker who makes it worthwhile.

Haven't gotten a fake IRS or Social Security call in a while, but I don't pick up the landline unless I recognize the name. The few people who have my cell number are all in my contacts list, so when M. Spam Likely calls I ignore it. These days it seems the calls that bother to leave messages want to clean my ductwork.
Retrograde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 12:58 PM   #37
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

You got spam ? Wow.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 01:47 PM   #38
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
I live in Silicon Valley (the real one, not one of those wannabe parts of San Francisco), which has a large Chinese population. I've gotten the Chinese "IRS" scams a few times - they either call randomly or go through all numbers in a given area in the hope they'll get that one sucker who makes it worthwhile.
Most of the Chinese calls we get come from spoofed numbers with area codes in the Bay area.

Quote:
Haven't gotten a fake IRS or Social Security call in a while, but I don't pick up the landline unless I recognize the name. The few people who have my cell number are all in my contacts list, so when M. Spam Likely calls I ignore it. These days it seems the calls that bother to leave messages want to clean my ductwork.
After some thought, we decided to keep our landline when we moved. But the outgoing message says: "Hi, it's us. We don't answer this phone because nobody ever calls it but scammers. If you think you have a legitimate need to contact us, leave a message, or just call on our cell phones. And if you actually know us, you should know what those are."
Old 1st June 2019, 01:53 PM   #39
Hungry81
Master Poster

One kid I had come in just before graduation

I guess, being from a rather regimented and authoritarian society, some of these folks never think to question.....
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 02:08 PM   #40
fuelair
Banned

A fun site for going after what are known as 419 scammers from Africa:
http://ebolamonkeyman.com/ note some things the scammers have done to prove their "honesty" (as requested by the guy going after them) are wonderful in concept and response!!!!!

Note I have killed/burned/time annoyed 15 + as to online but none are related to the site and no attacks on anything my email contains or leads to has ever been breached.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events