IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:35 PM   #1
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

USA Memorial Day

As a veteran, the crap that shows up on Memorial day really pisses me off.

Never mind mattress, and everything imaginable sales, which are bad enough; but now I'm seeing sales that are offering discounts for active military, veterans, EMT and healthcare workers..

Memorial day is about fallen ( dead ) military service members !

I see a time when Memorial Day will be about kindergartners who didn't make it to the first grade..

And no, it's not about who can drive a race car 500 times in an oval, in the shortest amount of time, either..
Old 25th May 2020, 01:30 PM   #2
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure what your complaint is - you think that discounts SHOULDN'T be extended to EMT and healthcare workers?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 02:04 PM   #3
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Sure.. that would be good everyday. But not because of Memorial Day..

Quote:
Memorial Day (previously, but now seldom, called Decoration Day is a federal holiday in the United States for honoring and mourning the military personnel who have died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[

Unless you won't to wait until they die in the line of duty..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 25th May 2020 at 02:07 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 02:25 PM   #4
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

So any discounts that are extended to EMT and healthcare staff should be removed on Memorial Day - you know, for the veterans?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 02:30 PM   #5
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Not surprised you don't get it....
Old 25th May 2020, 02:51 PM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

America doesn't handle solemn holidays well because we don't get many holidays total, not the kind most people get off work for. We could afford to be less crass if we had more days off.
Old 25th May 2020, 03:04 PM   #7
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Of course we didn't have a real Memorial Day this year, so I didn't have to not go to it.

I'm always reminded of a long ago friend who, when asked what the memorial day celebration in her town was like, responded. "The same old thing. Shoot 'n pray, shoot 'n pray."

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 03:26 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
As a veteran, the crap that shows up on Memorial day really pisses me off.

Never mind mattress, and everything imaginable sales, which are bad enough; but now I'm seeing sales that are offering discounts for active military, veterans, EMT and healthcare workers..

Memorial day is about fallen ( dead ) military service members !

I see a time when Memorial Day will be about kindergartners who didn't make it to the first grade..

And no, it's not about who can drive a race car 500 times in an oval, in the shortest amount of time, either..
As a veteran, I do not support this message.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 04:00 PM   #9
This is The End

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
As a veteran, I do not support this message.

Look, keep it to Veteran's Day with your alive opinions.
Old 25th May 2020, 04:56 PM   #10
deadrose
Illuminator

I only realized this year that people are wearing poppies for Memorial Day here, not Veteran's Day. Apparently we're too special to do it at the same time as other WWI participants
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 05:12 PM   #11
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Labor Day...they all have official meanings, and practical ones. Do you take equal umbrage in those not attending Christ's Mass?

If Memorial Day is to honor the dead, what does a living vet get a discount at the store for again?

And if the day is basically a funeral service, shouldn't you be more enraged over sales deals encouraged and offered to anyone?

Last edited by Thermal; 25th May 2020 at 05:13 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 06:53 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

It's roughly the equivalent of Anzac Day (25th April) in Australia, so I believe. For remembering those who died in service, and standing by those who came back who lost their mates.

Here, it is a day that starts solemnly, with dawn services of remembrance. The afternoon, however, is usually dedicated to the usual soldier pastimes - drinking in the pub, footy, and gambling. Buy a Digger a drink!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 07:09 PM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The whole "Well ackshually" meta-discussion about what Veteran's Day and what Memorial Day is taking up a little too much of the holidays these days.

The rednecks out back behind my house see it as "Drink beer, hoot and holler, and set off fireworks until 1 in the morning because it's not like they have to go work" day, same as every holiday and 3 day weekend ever for them.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:36 PM   #14
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Thanksgiving, Christmas, Labor Day...they all have official meanings, and practical ones. Do you take equal umbrage in those not attending Christ's Mass?
Real people, several that I knew, actually died in the service of their country.
Why should I give a flip about made up stuff.

Quote:
If Memorial Day is to honor the dead, what does a living vet get a discount at the store for again?
There are all kinds of discounts all year long for living Vets. And then there is Veteran's day, where you can still get great deals on mattresses.
Quote:

And if the day is basically a funeral service, shouldn't you be more enraged over sales deals encouraged and offered to anyone?
That's pretty much what I said..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 25th May 2020 at 07:46 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 07:51 PM   #15
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
That's pretty much what I said..
Then your anger is about cultural commercialization? Welcome to the States. You'll hate it here.
Old 25th May 2020, 08:11 PM   #16
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The massive sales blitz probably began with the big box hardware stores, since it's the traditional beginning of Summer and with the long weekend most people would get some major projects started. Or go camping for the long weekend. Need lots of supplies for those too.
Old 25th May 2020, 08:24 PM   #17
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It's roughly the equivalent of Anzac Day (25th April) in Australia, so I believe. For remembering those who died in service, and standing by those who came back who lost their mates.

Here, it is a day that starts solemnly, with dawn services of remembrance. The afternoon, however, is usually dedicated to the usual soldier pastimes - drinking in the pub, footy, and gambling. Buy a Digger a drink!
And this strikes a fine balance for ex service people and the general public alike.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:40 PM   #18
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
I only realized this year that people are wearing poppies for Memorial Day here, not Veteran's Day. Apparently we're too special to do it at the same time as other WWI participants
Yeah, but that can be because of circumstances.

In UK, Memorial Day (called Armistice Day or Remembrance Day) is November 11, because that celebrates the day the Armistice was signed 11 November, 1918. However, in NZ and Australia, our memorial day is ANZAC Day, celebrated on April 25 in commemoration of the Gallipoli landings of 1915 in which so many Kiwis and Aussies lost their lives.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 25th May 2020 at 10:45 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 10:49 PM   #19
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The massive sales blitz probably began with the big box hardware stores, since it's the traditional beginning of Summer and with the long weekend most people would get some major projects started. Or go camping for the long weekend. Need lots of supplies for those too.

Yeah. No.

I think its been going on a bit longer than that.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events