ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ufos

Old 9th May 2020, 12:22 PM   #121
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Now, for the rest of the story since the objects were confirmed visually from ship and aircraft and by various ship-based and airborne tracking systems, which does not translate into system malfunctions aboard the aircraft or mistakes regarding the visual accounts of the aircrew.

Quote:
U.S. Navy UFO Encounter

Stationed on the USS Princeton, a Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser, as the Nimitz carrier group went underway in early November 2004 for a routine training exercise, this would be the last time former Petty Officer 3rd Class Gary Voorhis would set sail aboard a Navy vessel.

While chatting with some of the Princeton’s radar techs, Voorhis says he heard they were getting “ghost tracks” and “clutter” on the radars. For Voorhis, the Princeton’s only system technician for the state-of-the-art Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC) and AEGIS Combat System, news of these systems possibly malfunctioning was especially concerning.

Fearing the ship’s brand new AN/SPY-1B passive radar system was malfunctioning, Voorhis says the air control systems were taken down and recalibrated in an effort to clear out—what’s assumed to be false radar returns.

“Once we finished all the recalibration and brought it back up, the tracks were actually sharper and clearer,” Voorhis says. “Sometimes they’d be at an altitude of 80,000 or 60,000 feet. Other times they’d be around 30,000 feet, going like 100 knots. Their radar cross sections didn’t match any known aircraft; they were 100 percent red. No squawk, no IFF (Identification Friend or Foe).”

“When they’d show up on radar,” Voorhis says, “I’d get the relative bearing and then run up to the bridge and look through a pair of heavily magnified binoculars in the direction the returns were coming from.” Describing what he saw during the daytime, Voorhis says the objects were too far off to make out any distinguishing features, however, he could clearly see something moving erratically in the distance.

“I couldn’t make out details, but they'd just be hovering there, then all of a sudden, in an instant, they’d dart off to another direction and stop again,” Voorhis says. “At night, they’d give off a kind of a phosphorus glow and were a little easier to see than in the day.”

By November 14, the strange returns had been continuously showing up for close to a week. With an air defense exercise scheduled for that morning, Day convinced his commanding officer to let him direct aircraft to attempt an intercept of these anomalous radar returns. Day’s decision led the VFA-41 Squadron Commander David Fravor to encounter what an “unofficial executive summary” later described as “an elongated egg or a ‘Tic Tac’ shape with a discernible midline horizontal axis” of approximately 46 feet in length.

The Intercept

As the aircraft approached the intercept location Princeton instructed Lieutenant Colonel Kurth to leave the area as the Navy planes were approaching. The pilot noticed a round section of turbulent water about 50-100 meters in diameter before returning to Nimitz without seeing any source for the disturbance and without picking up any unknown radar contact. The Navy pilots reached the intercept location without any contact on their new APG-73 radars. They looked down at the sea and also noticed a turbulent oval area of churning water with foam and frothy waves "the size of a Boeing 737 airplane" with a smoother area of lighter color at the center, as if the waves were breaking over something just under the surface. A few seconds later, they noticed an unusual object hovering with erratic movements at a height they estimated to be about 50 feet (15 m) above the churning water. Both Fravor and Slaight later described the object as a large bright white Tic Tac, 30 to 46 feet (9.1 to 14.0 m) long, with no windshield nor porthole, no wing nor empennage, and no visible engine nor exhaust plume.

McMillan, Tim (November 12, 2019). "The Witnesses". Popular Mechanics. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 02:02 PM   #122
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
This is getting close to telling us about the three videos and how we can tell they show craft beyond human capabilities. The power of the alien bamboozling ray may be weakening. Don't give up.

Another Navy admiral would disagree and what the Navy pilots encountered was not the first time the Navy became involved with UFOs.

Quote:
HOW SCIENTISTS TRACKED A FLYING SAUCER

U.S. NAVAL UNIT
WHITE SANDS PROVING GROUNDS
LAS CRUCES, NEW MEXICO

Commander Robert B. McLaughlin, USN

In its January issue TRUE said that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. Its story was widely supported by the nation's press and radio. TRUE's findings are here confirmed by Commander McLaughlin, a rocket expert at White Sands Proving Ground, who worked independently of this magazine's investigation. He reveals how a troup of Navy men and scientists tracked a flying disk with a precision instrument and tells of flights he and others witnessed.

https://www.nicap.org/true-mc.htm

We have no such flying machines that can conduct such advanced maneuvers the Navy pilots encountered and as I have mentioned on other occasions, countries around the world have been releasing their own UFO case files. In other words, we are already on the road to full disclosure.

Quote:
CHILEAN AIR FORCE RECOGNIZES UFOS AS FLYING MACHINES PILOTED BY ET INTELLIGENCE

The other top reason that explains Chile's recognition and openness about the UFO question is that General Ramon Vega, former Commander of FACh, the Chilean Air Force, has personally observed UFOs on two occasions while in the air.

Chile announces UFOs are for real

On 2nd April 1997, Chilean newspaper "La Cuarta" has the following headline: "UFO Sighting of Arica is Confirmed by La Direccion General de Aeronautic Civil." Chile did start to join the small number of countries who officially stated that the nature of UFOs is of intelligent driven flying machines.

This is a secret USAF document, declassified because of the Freedom Of Information Act

Quote:
Air Intelligence Report 100-203-79

T/S CONTROL NO 2-7341
OFFICE TO WHICH LOANED AFOIN-2A
89A DATE DUE IN AFOIN-C/DD 8 July 1952
PLEASE RETURN THIS DOCUMENT ON DATE SPECIFIED ABOVE TO AFOIN-C/DD, ROOM

5C116 ATTENTION: TOP SECRET CONTROL OFFICER.

When the attached document is withdrawn the classification of this sheet will be changed to UNCLASSIFIED in accordance with PAR 25c, AFR 205-1.

TOP SECRET

2-7341
DATE 28 APR 1949
NO 100-203-79
CY. NO 102 OF 103

HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
DIRECTORATE OF INTELLIGENCE
WASHINGTON, D.C.

skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 02:12 PM   #123
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Another Navy admiral would disagree
Oh. He would disagree that you haven't yet managed to describe how the three videos can be seen to show flying craft with fantastical abilities? Would he be able to indicate where you did so?
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 02:52 PM   #124
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I wonder why a group of people whose job it is to professionally look up never see UFOs.
They do see the objects.

Quote:
Clyde Tombaugh

Clyde William Tombaugh, was an American astronomer. He discovered Pluto in 1930. According to an entry in "UFO updates", Tombaugh said: "I have seen three objects in the last seven years which defied any explanation of known phenomenon, such as Venus, atmospheric optic, meteors or planes. I am a professional, highly skilled, professional astronomer. In addition I have seen three green fireballs which were unusual in behavior from normal green fireballs... I think that several reputable scientists are being unscientific in refusing to entertain the possibility of extraterrestrial origin and nature.

In June 1952, Dr. J. Allen Hynek, an astronomer acting as a scientific consultant to the Air Force's Project Blue Book UFO study, secretly conducted a survey of fellow astronomers on UFO sightings and attitudes while attending an astronomy convention. Tombaugh and four other astronomers, including Dr. Lincoln LaPaz of the University of New Mexico, told Hynek about their sightings. Tombaugh also told Hynek that his telescopes were at the Air Force's disposal for taking photos of UFOs, if he was properly alerted.

"These things, which do appear to be directed, are unlike any other phenomena I ever observed. Their apparent lack of obedience to the ordinary laws of celestial motion gives credence."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Tombaugh

Could the object in the following video be related to a group of UFOs the Navy encountered? The following flight data is provided for the object in the video.

UFO Video 1 of 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtUyzZxOYo

UFO Video 2 of 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L4CBIeNFY0

UFO Video 3 of 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9WlCpMnlZM

Old 9th May 2020, 04:01 PM   #125
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Oh. He would disagree that you haven't yet managed to describe how the three videos can be seen to show flying craft with fantastical abilities? Would he be able to indicate where you did so?

What did the pilots? The object doesn't have wings nor a visible propulsion system and does not leave behind exhaust plums and in one video, rotates as it flies against the wind.

Quote:
Navy Pilot Says UFO He Saw Off California Was ‘Not of This World’

Upon flying 60 miles to the location, Fravor says he saw a tic-tac shaped object, “40 feet long with no wings, just hanging close to the water,” in an interview with the Washington Post on Monday. He said it created a disturbance on the water uncharacteristic of a helicopter or a plane, and moved rapidly.

“As I get closer, as my nose is starting to pull back up, it accelerates and it’s gone,” he told the Post. “Faster than I’d ever seen anything in my life. We turn around, say let’s go see what’s in the water and there’s nothing. Just blue water.”

“I can tell you, I think it was not from this world,” Fravor told ABC News,

Navy pilot Chad Underwood

"The thing that stood out to me the most was how erratic it was behaving," he told New York magazine. "Its changes in altitude, air speed, and aspect were just unlike things that I've ever encountered before flying against other air targets."

At one point, the object appeared to dart from a high altitude of about 60,000 feet to a low altitude of 50 feet "within seconds," according to the DOD report. At another point, it veered violently to the left.

https://time.com/5070962/navy-pilot-...om-this-world/

The high maneuvering capabilities and high velocity of these objects within earth's atmosphere that exclude conventional aircraft is what what military and commercial pilots and radar operators around the world have been reporting for decades.

The Navy pilot's description of the extreme demonstrated performance capabilities of the object that he and his wingman encountered confirms the object was not of this earth.

Navy Pilot's Video Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDj9ZZQY2kA
Old 10th May 2020, 03:13 AM   #126
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

You're still not describing anything shown in the three videos.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 03:29 AM   #127
Garrison
Philosopher

You're still not describing anything shown in the three videos.
Yeah I've come to the conclusion that Skyeagle409 simply sees what he wants to see in the videos, things that the rest of us don't see.
Old 10th May 2020, 05:51 AM   #128
8enotto
Graduate Poster

A deep faith in military men and their infallible equipment is required to hold his position.

I would suspect that depending on the technology used in each case, and the personal experience I have with US military equipment not always being anywhere near cutting edge tech, nor proven to be oerfect, is closer to the truth.

Its good, better than many nations use, but far from bug free.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 02:16 PM   #129
Axxman300
Illuminator

Back on topic...

This is a good one-stop briefing on the subject:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...the-east-coast

Quote:
This report notes that Fleet Area Control and Surveillance Facility, Virginia Capes (FASCFAC VACAPES) again did not spot this object on its radar screens. However, the commanding officer of VFA-106 also noted that FASCFAC VACAPES "cannot detect a target this size if it is not squawking IFF [Identification Friend or Foe] or communicating via radio," which "presents a significant safety concern, given that this unknown aircraft was detected in an exclusive use area."

"I feel it may only be a matter of time before one of our F/A-18 aircraft has a mid-air collision with an unidentified UAS [unmanned aerial system]," the head of VFA-106 added in their comments. The report also says that "FACSFAC VACAPES has received multiple UAS sightings in the recent months," but does not say how many of those sightings resulted in sending in hazard reports. There's no indication that this particular report resulted in any Notices to Airmen (NOTAM) or Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR), though it did spark additional internal Navy alerts.

Old 13th May 2020, 11:32 PM   #130
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

“As I get closer, as my nose is starting to pull back up, it accelerates and it’s gone,” he told the Post. “Faster than I’d ever seen anything in my life. We turn around, say let’s go see what’s in the water and there’s nothing. Just blue water.”... Fravor told ABC News.
"Could it have been a reflection of the Sun off the water?" - the reporter asks.

"The Sun?" - Fravor retorts. "What's that?"
Old 14th May 2020, 02:57 AM   #131
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

What did the pilots? The object doesn't have wings nor a visible propulsion system
How can you tell? I just see a blob.

Quote:
and does not leave behind exhaust plums and in one video, rotates as it flies against the wind.
You realise none of these things -- rotation, no exhaust plume, and moving against the wind, are beyond the capabilities of human aircraft or even balloons, right?

Also, did you watch Mick West's videos?

Quote:
The high maneuvering capabilities and high velocity of these objects within earth's atmosphere that exclude conventional aircraft is what what military and commercial pilots and radar operators around the world have been reporting for decades.
Yup, it's been reported for decades, and in most/all cases it's just humans misinterpreting, seeing some new aircraft design they didn't know about, or making **** up.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal