ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:44 PM   #1
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Usurper Trump admits GOP can only win when voters are kept from voting

The truth is out:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rm-coronavirus

Quote:
"They had things, levels of voting that if you’d ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again,”
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 04:28 AM   #2
applecorped
Banned

awwwww, no one wanted to play in this thread so far so I will oblige
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 04:30 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So is "We're evil, but you're dramatic so we win" on the Republican Letterhead yet?
Old 3rd April 2020, 04:33 AM   #4
applecorped
Banned

lol, partisans are funny
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:23 AM   #5
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

When Trumpy says stuff in his outside voice which is all the time, he sort of gives the game away. The GOP spinners must be just about levitating now they are going round so fast.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:41 AM   #6
Distracted1
Illuminator

This is a sentiment shared by all Trumpsters. He loses no support by expressing it openly.
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:16 AM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Since the entire right side of American politics has up and decided that being "dramatic" is the only sin, having someone who has no filter and therefore is always going to get a reaction out of people with either a brain or a heart is a benefit.

Again the cruelty is the point, everything else is just a method.

It's why they've been reduced to "LOL lookit those lefties being all triggered by wanting fair elections, children not in cages, and people not dying."
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:19 AM   #8
rockysmith76
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
pen name used fallacy
assumption everyone agrees with you fallacy
lame...
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:20 AM   #9
rockysmith76
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So is "We're evil, but you're dramatic so we win" on the Republican Letterhead yet?
lefties are just as evil, they just hide it behind whiney condescention
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:22 AM   #10
rockysmith76
Suspended

Since the entire right side of American politics has up and decided that being "dramatic" is the only sin, having someone who has no filter and therefore is always going to get a reaction out of people with either a brain or a heart is a benefit.

It's why they've been reduced to "LOL lookit those lefties being all triggered by wanting fair elections, children not in cages, and people not dying."
As opposed to the charming "PC" thought process where not being outraged by everything is a sin.
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:34 AM   #11
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
lol, partisans are funny
Alas, not all.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:39 AM   #12
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
pen name used fallacy
assumption everyone agrees with you fallacy
lame...
I know it's hopeless here, but would point out that disagreeing with something does not add to the list of fallacies. Aside from that, your post does not make it clear who has committed the sins mentioned.

If using a pen name is a fallacy, I applaud you for adhering to the very odd name your parents gave you, "rockysmith76."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:51 AM   #13
rockysmith76
Suspended

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I know it's hopeless here, but would point out that disagreeing with something does not add to the list of fallacies. Aside from that, your post does not make it clear who has committed the sins mentioned.

If using a pen name is a fallacy, I applaud you for adhering to the very odd name your parents gave you, "rockysmith76."
read the thread's title and find your clarity
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:59 AM   #14
rockysmith76
Suspended

dupe

Last edited by rockysmith76; 3rd April 2020 at 08:07 AM. Reason: miss fire
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:16 AM   #15
3point14
Pi

As opposed to the charming "PC" thought process where not being outraged by everything is a sin.
Got a site for that.

Cos that's a lot of sin.

Or perhaps you should indulge in a little less hyperbole?

I think, if the US could see the US from the outside, the US would invade the US and occupy it. To bring democracy.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:20 AM   #16
paiute
Graduate Poster

There is a spreadsheet on the Russian troll farm server where you can go to grab a new username for spewing on US social media.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:23 AM   #17
paiute
Graduate Poster

When I was young I read a lot of military history. I considered it a given that the Holocaust was a one-off aberration and could never happen again. Now that I am older, I know something like it will totally happen again.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:25 AM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Meh. As I said in another thread, his followers know what he meant: If you make voting easier, Demoncrats will bus millions of dead illegals across state lines to vote over and over by changing their hats.
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:30 AM   #19
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

read the thread's title and find your clarity
What pen name (other than the nearly universal habit of forum participants to use them as you yourself do), what assumption of universal agreement? I read the headline. I would not have bothered to call Trump a usurper but see no other evidence of the false fallacies you created. If a person assumed everyone agreed with him, I imagine he would not bother to post about it here, (nobody has, for example, bothered to post that the coronavirus is a bad thing, or that the sun is bright) and although one might question the wisdom of some things Christian Progressive says, I believe he's not such an idiot as to assume that people like you wont jump into such a thread. Thus, one can reasonably conclude that he does not expect everyone to agree.

As for the content of the post, of course as usual Mr. Trump has spoken with such garbled incompetence that it's possible to pretend he did not mean what he seems to have said, but it does seem that he's joining other Republicans in noting that allowing all eligible voters to vote would be a disaster for the GOP.

Maybe the so-called fallacy of agreement is applied here to Trump. He's idiot enough to believe everyone agrees with him, or at least everyone who is not committing some fantasy definition of treason.

Perhaps instead of flailing away at other posters and insulting them, you would do better to address the actual content of the thread, and tell us in a coherent way whether you think the assertion is wrong, and why.

Do you think that Mr. Trump did not say what he's shown on screen as saying? Do you think it means something other than what people here are contending that it means?

By the way, on a side note, the opportunity for direct response here has disappeared, but as a bit of information, although the usage is rare the word "crime" is given by the OED as a transitive verb. Insofar as the rules for such verbs go, it would then be possible to refer to "crimers," who would engage in "criming." Unfortunately for your opponent, though, the meaning of the word is opposite to the use he put it to, as "crime" is a transitive verb for accusation of crime, not doing it. Had you taken more time, you could accused rightly of misuse, rather than wrongly of invention.

Last edited by bruto; 3rd April 2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:03 AM   #20
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Meh. As I said in another thread, his followers know what he meant: If you make voting easier, Demoncrats will bus millions of dead illegals across state lines to vote over and over by changing their hats.
Gee. if we only had evidence to see if Donny is right.

Wait - we do! My state has had vote by mail, early voting and same day registration for ages. I'm sure Donny doesn't know this or he would be railing at our Republican governor to rescind those things.

And guess what - no surprise here. Donny is wrong.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 01:23 PM   #21
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
There is a spreadsheet on the Russian troll farm server where you can go to grab a new username for spewing on US social media.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 04:31 PM   #22
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

lefties are just as evil, they just hide it behind whiney condescention
yeah those darn evil progressives who want to force healthcare and education on everyone, all while removing people's rights to say hateful things about each other and deny the rights of anyone that was born to be cursed of god in an unnatural way. And worst, they want to destroy all those businesses that use the environment to naturally absorb their waste products by forcing them into costly waste management schemes with a hoax about saving the planet for further generations. And how do they want to do it? By forcing hard working people to pay for the privilege of living in the country they were randomly born into, I mean placed into by God! I mean, the cheek of it all! They should all be sent straight to hell, no passing go, no collecting $200.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 3rd April 2020 at 04:35 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 03:58 AM   #23
Mumbles
Philosopher

Again, yes. He's a white nationalist, he wants to block nonwhite people from voting at all costs, now you're paying the cost.

Yet again, "We tried to tell y'all." And I'll give you this, you likely listened - or more likely, didn't need any to be told.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 11:50 AM   #24
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
This is a sentiment shared by all Trumpsters. He loses no support by expressing it openly.
What really scares them is that in this case, he happens to be right. The American people are progressive to various degrees. If we had full voter participation, the GOP would be toast.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 11:52 AM   #25
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Since the entire right side of American politics has up and decided that being "dramatic" is the only sin,
But only when it's Democrats who are allegedly doing it.

Old 4th April 2020, 11:55 AM   #26
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think, if the US could see the US from the outside, the US would invade the US and occupy it. To bring democracy.
This. And honestly, I'm past being ready for the world to bring us to heel.

Old 4th April 2020, 11:57 AM   #27
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
When I was young I read a lot of military history. I considered it a given that the Holocaust was a one-off aberration and could never happen again. Now that I am older, I know something like it will totally happen again.
Has already happened again, several times: Cambodia, Bosnia, Darfur, etc...

Old 4th April 2020, 12:03 PM   #28
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Again, yes. He's a white nationalist, he wants to block nonwhite people from voting at all costs, now you're paying the cost.

Yet again, "We tried to tell y'all." And I'll give you this, you likely listened - or more likely, didn't need any to be told.
The majority of us in fact did listen, didn't really need to be told, and voted for our real President: Hillary Clinton.

Old 4th April 2020, 12:34 PM   #29
rockysmith76
Suspended

What really scares them is that in this case, he happens to be right. The American people are progressive to various degrees. If we had full voter participation, the GOP would be toast.
Noone wants the socialist states of america. Delusions are hard I see.
Old 4th April 2020, 12:35 PM   #30
rockysmith76
Suspended

The majority of us in fact did listen, didn't really need to be told, and voted for our real President: Hillary Clinton.
Hillary....? We would have thought you a bernie bro. Hillary lost because complacent dems stayed home and didn't vote.
Old 4th April 2020, 01:21 PM   #31
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

dupe
Yep.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:10 PM   #32
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Hillary....? We would have thought you a bernie bro. Hillary lost because complacent dems stayed home and didn't vote.
Partly, perhaps, but of mostly she lost because people in electorally important districts voted for Trump. Both things apply. Trump got more votes partly because fewer democrats voted for Hillary, but he would have had no votes at all unless people voted for him, the people who voted for him elected him.

Old 4th April 2020, 02:39 PM   #33
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

This. And honestly, I'm past being ready for the world to bring us to heel.
Erm. No.

The US only invades left-wing democracies to impose right-wing dictatorships on them.
Old 4th April 2020, 03:22 PM   #34
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

Only if the US were what the US fancies itself to be on the 4th of July and similar occasions.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 05:24 PM   #35
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Better work hard then. Get rid of your socialist health care programs. Roads. Police. Fire protection. Military.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 05:26 PM   #36
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Again, I point to our progressive history. I'm sure your ideological forbears were ranting "socialist" at the Union for putting an end to slavery. Just like you ideological forbears were ranting "socialist" at FDR for implementing the Minimum Wage and Social Security. You people are aways ranting "we don't want that 'socialist' stuff" when the nation shows a clear history in the last century of progressive thought and action.

And again, look at the polls. Americans support Living Wage. Universal Health Care. Equal Rights laws. Progressive taxation. Issue after issue, Progress is what the American voter wants.

But I tell you what...if you are so sure that we DON'T want those things, why not support us actually voting on them in a clean election (paper ballots hand couted and audited by outside authority)?

You won't, because you, like Der Cheetofurher, know you lose when democracy is permitted to act.

Old 4th April 2020, 05:29 PM   #37
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

I voted for him in the primaries (before I found out about his own Russia ties), but voted Hillary in the general. I always vote for the Democrat, period. The GOP as a party has been anathema to human decency since the 1990s if not ealier.

And Hillary didn't lose. She got 3 million more votes, only to have rigged elections in key states steal the EC from her.

Old 4th April 2020, 05:31 PM   #38
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Partly, perhaps, but of mostly she lost because people in electorally important districts voted for Trump. Both things apply. Trump got more votes partly because fewer democrats voted for Hillary, but he would have had no votes at all unless people voted for him, the people who voted for him elected him.
As long as there are electronic voting machines, GOP will continue to win elections they would otherwise lose.

Old 4th April 2020, 06:27 PM   #39
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

As long as there are electronic voting machines, GOP will continue to win elections they would otherwise lose.
I'd like to believe that but suspect it's not much more viable than the Republican claims of busloads of illegals stuffing the polls. Corruption and crime are, in an odd way, more palatable than bad choices, but I think the blame for Trump lies mostly on those who nominated him and put him in office.

Old 4th April 2020, 06:41 PM   #40
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to believe that but suspect it's not much more viable than the Republican claims of busloads of illegals stuffing the polls. Corruption and crime are, in an odd way, more palatable than bad choices, but I think the blame for Trump lies mostly on those who nominated him and put him in office.
The blame lies solely on those who voted for him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics