ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 6th April 2020, 12:03 PM   #481
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Trump had access to more information than CNN.
How is this relevant?

This whole kerfuffle is because I correctly identified potential candidates for the proposed 'ironic covid-19 deaths' thread. The only two criteria were:

- "people who were dismissive or otherwise reckless about the danger (of) contracting (the virus)"
- "and dying of the illness."

Most of you seemed okay with the idea.

Two hours go by and i dared mention that some of your heroes were, in fact, dismissive or otherwise reckless about the danger of contracting the virus. Uh-oh. Not as fun anymore. Suddenly we need a new strategy. Maybe we can point out that Trump had more information than our heroes. But wait, that means Trump also had more information than the dumb conservatives who live in the flyover states. What's skeptic to do?
Old 6th April 2020, 12:06 PM   #482
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
How is this relevant?

This whole kerfuffle is because I correctly identified potential candidates for the proposed 'ironic covid-19 deaths' thread. The only two criteria were:

- "people who were dismissive or otherwise reckless about the danger (of) contracting (the virus)"
- "and dying of the illness."

Most of you seemed okay with the idea.

Two hours go by and i dared mention that some of your heroes were, in fact, dismissive or otherwise reckless about the danger of contracting the virus. Uh-oh. Not as fun anymore. Suddenly we need a new strategy. Maybe we can point out that Trump had more information than our heroes.
[citation needed]

Quote:
But wait, that means Trump also had more information than the dumb conservatives who live in the flyover states. What's skeptic to do?
provide evidence.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."

Last edited by Shalamar; 6th April 2020 at 12:10 PM.
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:11 PM   #483
plague311
Great minds think...

How is this relevant?

Who? That's what everyone here has asked, and what you've gone way out of your way to avoid answering. Pretty much everyone, except you, is asking for evidence that CNN did this. Me included.

Two hours go by and i dared mention that some of your heroes were, in fact, dismissive or otherwise reckless about the danger of contracting the virus. Uh-oh. Not as fun anymore. Suddenly we need a new strategy. Maybe we can point out that Trump had more information than our heroes. But wait, that means Trump also had more information than the dumb conservatives who live in the flyover states. What's skeptic to do?
I don't watch CNN regularly. My MIL does, but I don't watch my news as much as I read it. It's just easier for me.

That being said, none of them are my heroes. I don't know, outside of Anderson Cooper and Cuomo, that I could even come up with another name of someone on the show.

The fact is if Trump had more information than CNN and continued to spread that misinformation, then that is on him. If CNN repeated the talking points of the Administration, including the Administrations views, then that isn't being reckless or dismissive. Unless they agreed with him.

However, none of that is relevant at all because you haven't even confirmed your initial claim. You're actively ignoring it and it's as see through as it can be. Why not just admit your wrong instead of quadrupling down without any information to support your claim?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:14 PM   #484
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
[citation needed]
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th April 2020, 12:17 PM   #485
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
But what does confirmed mean? Seriously not do8ng a “but what does is mean?”. A pathologist over here was saying that most people who have been confirmed as dying from the disease in the UK were not tested but diagnosed from their symptoms. I could see if one set of statistics used that as confirmed and one only used a positive test as confirmed you could have a discrepancy between the two statistics.
It means what the quote I provided says:

Quote:
The above counts are of laboratory-tested and confirmed cases of COVID-19 and should not be mistaken for the actual number of people who have or have had the coronavirus in the region.
In order to be confirmed they must have the actual laboratory confirmed test. Diagnosing from symptoms gives the probable cause, not a confirmed cause.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:18 PM   #486
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
These exchanges are a Masterclass presentation of Conservatroll 101 tactics.
Bingo!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:21 PM   #487
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Lightbulb

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Very good! It only took a couple hours!

What are they saying today? Everyone was downplaying it.

They seem to have changed their minds since.

Thats Ok. Churches and beaches in parts of the south are still open! They were obviously listening to their heros at CNN.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:26 PM   #488
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE
These are from the very early days when not much was known about Coronavirus. They were not downplaying it, they were reporting what was known about it at the time. Not the same thing as what Trump and FOX were doing. But I think you know that.
Old 6th April 2020, 12:32 PM   #489
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
These are from the very early days when not much was known about Coronavirus. They were not downplaying it, they were reporting what was known about it at the time. Not the same thing as what Trump and FOX were doing. But I think you know that.
Meh. They kind of were. Things were very uncertain, and people kept saying 'flu worse!'.

I'm in Washington state, so locally, things escalated and were shut down quickly.

Old 6th April 2020, 12:32 PM   #490
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Most of them are reminding folks about being concerned about the Flu, which is also deadly but you can get a vaccine to help out, unlike the Coronavirus.

The comparison is made to Trump downplaying the virus, these various newscasters aren't outright denying that the virus can be deadly. Also they are not the ones in the position to take proactive steps to counter the spread of the virus or enable the treatment of the infected. They are people on TV. Trump is the President. He did almost nothing and is now actively making things worse.

They sure as heck are not the ones licking toilets in defiance, insisting they have to go to crowded mega-churches, or screaming on social media that it is a complete hoax after stay-at-home guidelines are established right before their family is begging for medical funds for their suddenly hospital stay.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:37 PM   #491
plague311
Great minds think...

Which is what I was hinting at too. Were they downplaying it or just reporting the available information, which was downplayed by the Administration?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 6th April 2020 at 12:55 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:41 PM   #492
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Meh. They kind of were. Things were very uncertain, and people kept saying 'flu worse!'.

I'm in Washington state, so locally, things escalated and were shut down quickly.
I disagree. Downplaying something is knowing the truth and minimizing it. Those reporters/commenters on CNN in the early days were repeating what they were being told and what was believed at the time.
Old 6th April 2020, 12:42 PM   #493
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Which is what I was hinting at too. Where they downplaying it or just reporting the available information, which was downplayed by the Administration?
The latter.
Old 6th April 2020, 01:01 PM   #494
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I disagree. Downplaying something is knowing the truth and minimizing it. Those reporters/commenters on CNN in the early days were repeating what they were being told and what was believed at the time.
This is exactly correct.

I didn't see anyone in that mash-up of out-of-context clips claiming the coronavirus wasn't real or dangerous, or that people shouldn't be taking the necessary precautions in line with the information available at the time, unlike the yahoos whose deaths are being called ironic.

False equivalency for the win.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 01:03 PM   #495
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That request was bundled with these whoppers:

Which I correctly referred to as strawmen. Your claiming that I referred to the request for evidence as a strawman is itself a strawman.

I thought this was supposed to be a critical thinking forum. Why are people so confused about such a basic concept as a strawman fallacy. The term is used here incorrectly all the time, and then when used correctly no-one understands.

My statements were correct. And you are still to provide the information you had access to that allowed you to conclude people from CNN had or are downplaying the seriousness of the pandemic.
Old 6th April 2020, 01:05 PM   #496
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It means what the quote I provided says:

In order to be confirmed they must have the actual laboratory confirmed test. Diagnosing from symptoms gives the probable cause, not a confirmed cause.

Sorry I must have skipped over that for some reason! (Being a pillock is the some reason.)
Old 6th April 2020, 01:08 PM   #497
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sorry I must have skipped over that for some reason! (Being a pillock is the some reason.)
I'll let it pass this time but don't let it happen again.
Old 6th April 2020, 01:25 PM   #498
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE
Well, Sir Drinks a Lot has a point.

The moral of this story is that the media is a terrible source of information, especially on scientific issues.

They're almost as bad as the President of the United States.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 01:29 PM   #499
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

What's going on right now, though, is that many conservative media outlets are pointing to the original "flu worse" statements of the media, but still saying it. The media at least gave up on it when presented with evidence. In the old days, the media would have been the ones to dig up the evidence, but they don't do that anymore. They simply don't pay for reporters like they used to. They have news presenters, and they bring in guests, with those guests being chosen to create interesting discussions, not to provide facts.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:12 PM   #500
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
What's going on right now, though, is that many conservative media outlets are pointing to the original "flu worse" statements of the media, but still saying it. The media at least gave up on it when presented with evidence. In the old days, the media would have been the ones to dig up the evidence, but they don't do that anymore. They simply don't pay for reporters like they used to. They have news presenters, and they bring in guests, with those guests being chosen to create interesting discussions, not to provide facts.
I do believe I mentioned this phenominon in another thread and you all scoffed at me. THis is wheres so-called "objective" journalism has gotten us.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:12 PM   #501
applecorped
Banned

This may be an unpopular opinion but I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

Working from home, less traffic, less people when I go out. Aside from the deaths it seems to be a much nicer world.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:16 PM   #502
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

Working from home, less traffic, less people when I go out. Aside from the deaths it seems to be a much nicer world.
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
Old 6th April 2020, 02:16 PM   #503
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Look up the word "psychopath".
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:25 PM   #504
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Most of them are proclimaing they believe Dear Leader over all those doctors and scientests.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:27 PM   #505
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
This is what happnes when you try to defend the undefendable.
Dear Leader has messed up bigtime, and they just cannot admit it.
Aimed at the person meadmaker was responding to, not Meadmaker.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:29 PM   #506
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We still have some investigative reporters. Ronan Farrow, for example, does excellent work. There are also several investigative reporting organizations:

https://billmoyers.com/story/10-inve...ets-to-follow/
Old 6th April 2020, 02:29 PM   #507
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Now there are trolls out there citing how many people die annually from other diseases and factors in order to try and convince people that 100-200K deaths from this outbreak is a victory..
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:38 PM   #508
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

We still have some investigative reporters. Ronan Farrow, for example, does excellent work. There are also several investigative reporting organizations:

https://billmoyers.com/story/10-inve...ets-to-follow/
Nice article. Thanks.

Bill Moyers used to work for CBS News.
Old 6th April 2020, 03:27 PM   #509
Arcade22
Philosopher

Yeah just imagine if there were NO Americans. Like heaven on earth.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 03:38 PM   #510
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Well, Sir Drinks a Lot has a point.

The moral of this story is that the media is a terrible source of information, especially on scientific issues.
Except that wasn't his point.

His point was to compare media outlets (you know, where all of our "heroes" are) using measured language to describe the risk posed by the virus before all the information was known to Trump supporters who are currently claiming the whole thing is a hoax and putting other people's lives in danger with their reckless stupidity, and to pretend that they are somehow the same thing.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 03:41 PM   #511
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Yeah just imagine if there were NO Americans. Like heaven on earth.
Why do you hate black people?
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 03:53 PM   #512
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Now there are trolls out there citing how many people die annually from other diseases and factors in order to try and convince people that 100-200K deaths from this outbreak is a victory..
They've been doing that from the get-go. For a while it was the H1N1 outbreak from 2009. We'll pass that mark in the U.S. today or tomorrow.

Next it will be seasonal flu - most years around 32,000. We'll probably hit that a few days after Easter, even with things maybe not accelerating as fast as they previously were. The worst in the past 10 years was about 60,000 deaths during the 2017-2018 flu season. That might happen by the end of April.

Next is to argue that corona virus mostly only kills people who would have died anyway. There is some truth to that, but we won't really know those numbers until some time after this is over. Plus, that same argument also applies to most deaths from the flu.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 05:46 PM   #513
Lurch
Graduate Poster

While the TV media has largely become 'newstainment', there are still some who dig deep. But more so do the print media. And at least the TV reports that.

So no, not all investigative journalism is dead. You just have to widen suitably your intake.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 05:46 PM   #514
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Kansas Republicans denied and delayed the state's response to Covid-19. Now my cousin is on a ventilator and may die of it. **** you, Trumpists.
Old 6th April 2020, 05:48 PM   #515
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Kansas Republicans denied and delayed the state's response to Covid-19. Now my cousin is on a ventilator and may die of it. **** you, Trumpists.
'He may die, so that the economy may live.' -Trump Supporter.

Old 6th April 2020, 05:58 PM   #516
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he gets better.
Old 6th April 2020, 06:47 PM   #517
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Let me know when you go out, I'll be sure to stay away, I promise.
Old 6th April 2020, 09:09 PM   #518
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Well, it's still good - if you can't defent Great Leader, bring up some irrelevant point about those who dare to criticize His Tremendousness.
Old 7th April 2020, 09:48 AM   #519
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Well, here's a guy who thinks that Trump is the tough leader America needs to get through this crisis.

https://townhall.com/columnists/kenb...suppl-n2566483

(I think a lot of people will recognize the columnist's name.)

One thing I see a lot is praise for Trump for getting the private sector involved. I wonder if these people think Obama would not have done that? Of course, any President would do that. In my opinion, they would do it better than Trump. They would certainly have done it sooner.
Old 7th April 2020, 09:54 AM   #520
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well, here's a guy who thinks that Trump is the tough leader America needs to get through this crisis.

https://townhall.com/columnists/kenb...suppl-n2566483

(I think a lot of people will recognize the columnist's name.)

One thing I see a lot is praise for Trump for getting the private sector involved. I wonder if these people think Obama would not have done that? Of course, any President would do that. In my opinion, they would do it better than Trump. They would certainly have done it sooner.
Ken Blackwell, bwahhahhahhahhahh!

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics