ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 22nd April 2020, 12:48 AM   #641
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I doubt it. The Woodstock-goers and hippies were the minority, that's why they got all the attention: because they were unusual. Most of their generation were the total squares the hippies were rebelling against, and it's those squares who squarely lasted on into old age today. Thinking everyone in the 60s was a hippie is as unrealistic as thinking everyone in the 80s was a punk: the literal meaning of countercultural is that they are not the norm.

This.
Old 22nd April 2020, 05:57 AM   #642
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I'm not sure if I buy into the idea that we grow more conservative as we age, either. I know statistics show older people are more conservative, but couldn't the statistic just mean that, that older people, at the time of the polling, were more conservative than young people?

Either way, to me, it seems today's young are more progressive than last generation, which was more progressive than the generation before them, etc. People's political views change over time, of course, but it's not as if today's young are going to regress from mostly accepting gays and trans people to suddenly hating them.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:08 AM   #643
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I'm not sure if I buy into the idea that we grow more conservative as we age, either. I know statistics show older people are more conservative, but couldn't the statistic just mean that, that older people, at the time of the polling, were more conservative than young people?
But you'll find that to be true in every generation. In the '60s, old people were more likely to vote for conservatives. Likewise in the '70s, and '80s, and '90s, and '00s, and today.

Quote:
Either way, to me, it seems today's young are more progressive than last generation, which was more progressive than the generation before them, etc. People's political views change over time, of course, but it's not as if today's young are going to regress from mostly accepting gays and trans people to suddenly hating them.
On issues like this, I agree. Some of the tendency for people to be more conservative as they get older is not an actual change in people. Sometimes, there is a genuine change in society, and of course that change is very common in young people, and much rarer in old people. So, people growing up today are very likely to be indifferent toward a person's sexuality, because no one is telling them they should be anything else, while some people my age and above were taught that homosexuality is sinful, and they don't give up that belief even as society as a whole changes.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:38 AM   #644
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I doubt it. The Woodstock-goers and hippies were the minority, that's why they got all the attention: because they were unusual. Most of their generation were the total squares the hippies were rebelling against, and it's those squares who squarely lasted on into old age today. Thinking everyone in the 60s was a hippie is as unrealistic as thinking everyone in the 80s was a punk: the literal meaning of countercultural is that they are not the norm.
Then again, make no mistake that, when it comes to Boomers, it's always been about them, and only them.

Yeah, they were protesting Vietnam. But that's because they were the ones getting called up to serve. For pete's sake, these are the people who were, in the 80s, described as the "Me Generation" because they were so self-absorbed.

If you thought for a minute that when Boomers got old that they'd give a rat's patootie about taking care of anyone but themselves, you haven't been paying attention.
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:44 AM   #645
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post

Contrastingly, I have grown far more liberal as I've aged, and specifically since I've had kids.

Once I had kids, I realized it wasn't about me anymore, and it was about others. When I was young, I could say, "I got mine, so you are on your own." When I had kids, it became, "I got mine, what can be done to help you?" Yes, that is the case with the kids, but for everyone else, too.

How can I teach my kids to be generous and kind if I am not?
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:47 AM   #646
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
All my life I've been hearing this. The thing is, as the young people get older, they get more conservative. It has been going on for a long time. As I remember many years ago when I was in my 20s and the woman I was talking to (my girlfriend's mother) was in her 50s put like this, "You get more conservative as you get more to conserve."

Those baby boomers you are waiting to die to push aside the GOP? They were at Woodstock.
Yes and no. There's a general trend toward progressiveness. Woodstock was only a tiny fraction of boomers, and they're still much more progressive than plenty of today's torchbearing teenagers. For every hippie, there were plenty of [Niedermeyers].

As a matter of fact, there's evidence people get a little more progressive as we age. We're mre protective or wealth during the building/childrearing phase in our 30s and 40s. For most of us, accumulated wealth means we can afford the luxury of generosity.

HOWEVER, the problem isn't age demographic. What's complicating the Democrat/Republican contrast is the constant reclassification within American tribalism. Irish Americans used to be outsiders railing against the system. Now they're white nationalists marching alongside German Americans. They didn't get more conservative - the party coalitions changed.

There's a couple of good nonfiction books on the topic that I can recommend:
* [The Lost Majority, by Sean Trende]
* [The Fractured Republic, Yuval Levin]
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:55 AM   #647
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Yes and no. There's a general trend toward progressiveness.
Just to clarify what I meant there... I meant the West has a trend toward progressiveness. But individuals do too.

The Boomers didn't become more conservative over time. As individuals, they may have even on average become more liberal.

It's just that people don't change our minds much. We're only slightly budged from the values we adopted in our formative years.

Every year, more people are born, and each new cohort is a bit more progressive than the previous... but we're kinda stuck where we started while the world moves on.

So at any given moment, there's 75 year olds who will be more conservative than 25 year olds because of they values they were born into. Not because they started out idealistic and became selfish over their lifetimes.
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:10 AM   #648
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
ETA: I just noticed you live in Nashville. I lived very near the airport just off the Murfreesboro and Donalson Pikes.
Yep, that's where everyone is an idiot. (See, I can do it too)
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:17 AM   #649
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

The protesters who want to open up the economy, with their guns and confederate flags, accused the nurses standing in defiance of them at the AZ state capital paid actors.

They were real nurses.

So let's say all governor ordered restrictions are lifted. Then what? Maybe 20% of the country goes back to acting like nothing happened. What are the other 80% going to do? My guess is they will continue to follow social distancing guidelines. And wait to see what happens to the canaries in the coal mine.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:46 AM   #650
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The protesters who want to open up the economy, with their guns and confederate flags, accused the nurses standing in defiance of them at the AZ state capital paid actors.

They were real nurses.
Has that been confirmed now? I thought the photographer had said she didn't know?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:46 AM   #651
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post

They were real nurses.

So let's say all governor ordered restrictions are lifted. Then what? Maybe 20% of the country goes back to acting like nothing happened. What are the other 80% going to do? My guess is they will continue to follow social distancing guidelines. And wait to see what happens to the canaries in the coal mine.
The problem is that the 20% are disproportionately motivated by the fact that they own businesses that are losing revenue.

The can sit safe and sound at home while they order their staff to "Reopen the crab shack or yer fired."
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:52 AM   #652
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
The problem is that the 20% are disproportionately motivated by the fact that they own businesses that are losing revenue.

The can sit safe and sound at home while they order their staff to "Reopen the crab shack or yer fired."
Conservative governors have a real political problem here too. The right-wing death cult ideology is very much opposed to big government spending funded by taxation. Funding unemployment benefits during a lock down puts them in a difficult position politically. Georgia, for example, requires a constitutional amendment to increase income tax.

Some of the "open up the country" anger is understandable. The current situation is untenable. People are told not to work, but welfare benefits are inadequate to provide the necessities of life. Of course, right wingers are prone to conspiracy thinking, dogmatic individualism, and anti-government animus, so you see the "let the weak die, we want to work" line being trotted out.

We are seeing the failure of right-wing individualism in the face of a collective action problem.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 22nd April 2020 at 07:55 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:54 AM   #653
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Has that been confirmed now? I thought the photographer had said she didn't know?
Why is it that you require confirmation for the “real nurses” claim, but not the “paid actors” claim?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:59 AM   #654
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Conservative governors have a real political problem here too. The right-wing death cult ideology is very much opposed to big government spending funded by taxation. Funding unemployment benefits during a lock down puts them in a difficult position politically. Georgia, for example, requires a constitutional amendment to increase income tax.
The typical answer is that the government locked it down, so the government needs to compensate people for the downside of that. Had the government not imposed the lockdown and instead a voluntary stay-home had led to a drop in demand, then you'd see them much more conflicted. The concern I've seen is mainly around whether this leads to a permanent increase to the state.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:02 AM   #655
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Why is it that you require confirmation for the “real nurses” claim, but not the “paid actors” claim?
Heh - dishonesty in my opinion.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:04 AM   #656
johnny karate

The typical answer is that the government locked it down, so the government needs to compensate people for the downside of that. Had the government not imposed the lockdown and instead a voluntary stay-home had led to a drop in demand, then you'd see them much more conflicted. The concern I've seen is mainly around whether this leads to a permanent increase to the state.
The fundamental flaw in Republican thinking on this issue is that they are ideologically opposed to having a robust safety net and are now being faced with the reality of why we need a robust safety net.

They’re scrambling to cobble together something they’ve been telling us that we don’t need.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:06 AM   #657
shuttlt
Philosopher

I'm didn't. You said "They were real nurses", I wondered whether that was because you knew.

You didn't require confirmation of the "real nurses" claim, and required proof of the "paid actors" claim. That's fine, you're free to do that, it's just that somebody reading your post (me for instance) might think you had access to proof.
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:10 AM   #658
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

I'm didn't. You said "They were real nurses", I wondered whether that was because you knew.

You didn't require confirmation of the "real nurses" claim, and required proof of the "paid actors" claim. That's fine, you're free to do that, it's just that somebody reading your post (me for instance) might think you had access to proof.
The nurses gave their names, showed their work badges at Banner University Hospital, to a local tv station.

"Arizona's Family has verified both Bhatti and Leander have active nursing licenses in Arizona that are in good standing."

Now about the evidence for "paid actors"?
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:12 AM   #659
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Every conspiracy theory is true until absolutely positively proven otherwise. The corollary is that the CT’er gets to decide if the proof is sufficient. (And of course no amount of proof ever suffices)
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:16 AM   #660
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

It's also possibly quibbling about them being nurses vs other classifications of hospital staff. Every job there wears scrubs and a mask.

When I was a housekeeper at a major hospital in Vancouver, every able bodied male was considered backup security. "Paging Mr. Strong" was me. "Code Orange" (disaster support) was me.
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:18 AM   #661
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Every conspiracy theory is true until absolutely positively proven otherwise. The corollary is that the CT’er gets to decide if the proof is sufficient. (And of course no amount of proof ever suffices)
This is why it's so frustrating for them to be asked to dismiss competing CTs.

"Well, they're wearing masks, so how do you know they're not Bigfoot?"

My personal favourite is to roll my eyes at the UFO nuts and tell them they're all dupes.
"It's all Area 52. Area 51 is a decoy."
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:18 AM   #662
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

In practicality, they are going to be transitioning to a "voluntary" lockdown. And by voluntary, it will mean those who can work from home or can afford losing their income will stay home, and those that can't will be placed in danger.

Most will still understand that returning to workplaces will place them in danger. The poorest among us will likely find that they have no option. Work will be "available", so they will no longer qualify for unemployment. Facing starvation or a dangerous workplace, they will "voluntarily" re-enter the workforce. Those that get sick will be blamed for being reckless.

It is my strong suspicion this is the tactic that some conservative governors will take in lieu of increasing social spending. Low income workers that cant afford to stay home or are able to work from home are being thrown into the plague zone in order to preserve low taxation rates and keep businesses profitable.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 22nd April 2020 at 08:45 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:29 AM   #663
johnny karate

The original post wasn’t mine.

But do you know why I didn’t ask for confirmation that the nurses were real? Because that information was readily available and easy to find on my own.

Granted, it is the responsibility of the person making the claim to substantiate it, but that is not the issue here.

The “real nurses” claim got your skeptic senses tingling.

The “paid actors” claim did not.

Why?
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:32 AM   #664
shuttlt
Philosopher

The fundamental flaw in Republican thinking on this issue is that they are ideologically opposed to having a robust safety net and are now being faced with the reality of why we need a robust safety net.
I'm not sure that anything has happened that would make them think a permanent safety-net would be needed, certainly not one sufficient to handle this. The way many of them would see it is that you are recommending greatly expanding government to cope with the situation where government shuts down the economy. Something feels a little circular about that. They'd see you as asking to make an emergency expansion of government power permanent.

It seems to me that there is a common assumption that Republican's are one real life experience of strife away from becoming big government progressives. That's like assuming that Democrats are one interaction with incompetent government bureaucracy away from becoming small government libertarians.
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:39 AM   #665
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Looking at townhall.com, one thing that I notice an awful lot is that I have seen more pictures of Gretchen Whitmer than I ever thought possible. At the beginning of this crisis, I would not have been able to recognize a picture of my governor. Now, she's everywhere. She is definitely the right wing' s poster child for overreaching government right now.

If, within the next three months, most Americans end up agreeing that the lockdowns were a good idea, I think she will end up being Joe Biden's VP, which makes it a good chance she will eventually be the first woman President of the United States. If, three months from now, most Americans think the lockdowns went too far, she'll be a one term governor and will have to become a working lawyer.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:41 AM   #666
shuttlt
Philosopher

The “real nurses” claim got your skeptic senses tingling.

The “paid actors” claim did not.

Why?
There wouldn't be a lot of point in my asking you for evidence for that they were paid actors. You had said they were real nurses, so I asked you about that. If somebody on here said that they were paid actors, then I'd have asked about that.

You are projecting a bunch of motives and beliefs onto me that aren't mine.

Because that information was readily available and easy to find on my own.
Terrific, I missed it, that's on me. I did have a look before and I found the statements from the photographer saying she didn't know, and that initial attempts to track them down had failed.
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:42 AM   #667
johnny karate

I'm not sure that anything has happened that would make them think a permanent safety-net would be needed, certainly not one sufficient to handle this. The way many of them would see it is that you are recommending greatly expanding government to cope with the situation where government shuts down the economy. Something feels a little circular about that. They'd see you as asking to make an emergency expansion of government power permanent.
I’m not talking about expanding government power. I’m talking about having a better safety net in place for crises like this one.

And there’s nothing circular about pointing out that a better safety net would have lessened the impact of a crisis as we watch our current safety net prove insufficient during a crisis.

Quote:
It seems to me that there is a common assumption that Republican's are one real life experience of strife away from becoming big government progressives. That's like assuming that Democrats are one interaction with incompetent government bureaucracy away from becoming small government libertarians.
I don’t think anyone is making that argument.

And that you basically just called thousands of people dying and a cratered economy an “experience of strife” is bizarre.

If anything, the fallout from this pandemic should get Republicans to re-evaluate their priorities.

But of course they won’t.

They’d rather take to the streets and protest people trying to save their lives
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:50 AM   #668
johnny karate

There wouldn't be a lot of point in my asking you for evidence for that they were paid actors. You had said they were real nurses, so I asked you about that. If somebody on here said that they were paid actors, then I'd have asked about that.

You are projecting a bunch of motives and beliefs onto me that aren't mine.
I’m not asking why you didn’t ask me about the “paid actors” claim, I’m asking why between those two claims, the “real nurses” claim is the one of which your skeptical.

Quote:
Terrific, I missed it, that's on me. I did have a look before and I found the statements from the photographer saying she didn't know, and that initial attempts to track them down had failed.
What information did you discover when your researched the “paid actors” claim?
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:37 AM   #669
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elvis666 View Post
Yep, that's where everyone is an idiot. (See, I can do it too)
I see you missed the parts of my post where I said "Ever hear of hyperbole to express a general feeling?" and "Do I think all Southerners are dumb? Of course not." and "But the South is a bastion for Trump supporters and, frankly, that's something that strongly colors my view."

I suggest you get your knickers untwisted because I think that Trump supporters are idiots and every single state south of the Mason-Dixon line was won by Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 01:33 PM   #670
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

I see you missed the parts of my post where I said "Ever hear of hyperbole to express a general feeling?" and "Do I think all Southerners are dumb? Of course not." and "But the South is a bastion for Trump supporters and, frankly, that's something that strongly colors my view."

I suggest you get your knickers untwisted because I think that Trump supporters are idiots and every single state south of the Mason-Dixon line was won by Trump.
I didn't miss any of your post. Hyperbole just doesn't suit you as much when it's aimed back at you. And when called on it, you respond that I need to get my knickers untwisted. OK.
Old 22nd April 2020, 02:17 PM   #671
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't miss any of your post. Hyperbole just doesn't suit you as much when it's aimed back at you. And when called on it, you respond that I need to get my knickers untwisted. OK.
I have no problem with you using hyperbole. But unlike yours, mine was not directed at you personally. I would count you among those that I don't think are idiots for supporting Trump. But since you've apparently chosen to be offended, there's not much I can do about that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 02:43 PM   #672
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

One of the things I've been doing with this thread is just checking right wing sites to see what people are saying. Chief among those is townhall.com Right now, it's all about about the tyrannical government keeping us locked up against our wills.

There was one headline that caught my eye, though, about weighing costs and benefits, by columnist Walter Williams.

Well, that's what we ought to be doing, so I decided to read the article and get a conservative take on the subject. Would he actually go into the costs and benefits, or would it be just handwaving and wishful thinking?

I'm not even going to try to characterize the column. However, if you haven't gotten your daily does of stupid today, give it a read: https://townhall.com/columnists/walt...vid19-n2567256

Last edited by Meadmaker; 22nd April 2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 22nd April 2020, 02:44 PM   #673
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

I have no problem with you using hyperbole. But unlike yours, mine was not directed at you personally.
I honestly don't see why my comment is directed any differently than yours.
I think IQs drop about 20 points south of the Mason Dixon line.
My response to you saying that you once lived in a section of Nashville:
Yep, that's where everyone is an idiot.
If that offended you, I apologize. Everyone in that area is not an idiot, but I exaggerated for effect. I expected you to recognize the similarity.

I would count you among those that I don't think are idiots for supporting Trump. But since you've apparently chosen to be offended, there's not much I can do about that.
I'm not offended. My original comment simply pointed out that your words quoted above was paint all of us in the South with the same brush. All of us didn't vote for Trump.

Maybe look at your original quote and replace "south of the Mason Dixon line" with another group which you find less deserving of your derision.

You may now have the last word.
Old 22nd April 2020, 03:12 PM   #674
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I honestly don't see why my comment is directed any differently than yours.

My response to you saying that you once lived in a section of Nashville:

If that offended you, I apologize. Everyone in that area is not an idiot, but I exaggerated for effect. I expected you to recognize the similarity.

I'm not offended. My original comment simply pointed out that your words quoted above was paint all of us in the South with the same brush. All of us didn't vote for Trump.

Maybe look at your original quote and replace "south of the Mason Dixon line" with another group which you find less deserving of your derision.

You may now have the last word.
And I then responded to your post by clarifying that I was using hyperbole for a general feeling, I didn't think everyone in the South was an idiot and qualified those I thought were and why. TWICE. Unless you ALL voted for Trump, which you didn't, that does 'not paint you all with the same brush'.

I find few groups that deserve my derision less than Trump supporters.

Tah!
Old 22nd April 2020, 03:44 PM   #675
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Then that would be great, and all the people pushing a drug with dangerous side effects before its efficacy had been established would still be wrong.
It's really not a difficult concept to understand, is it? Just because Trump said it, all logic and reason disappear in a cloud of trolling.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 04:21 PM   #676
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

One of the things I've been doing with this thread is just checking right wing sites to see what people are saying. Chief among those is townhall.com Right now, it's all about about the tyrannical government keeping us locked up against our wills.
How many of those are waving Confederate flags "ironically"?

Because in Michigan, there were those marching who were carrying Confederate flags, and the explanation is that they were using it to symbolize the governor's tyranny. Because, you know, those are not like the same people who say things like "Heritage not hate" and think that it represents "states' rights" and stuff like that.
Old 22nd April 2020, 04:28 PM   #677
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I'm not even going to try to characterize the column. However, if you haven't gotten your daily does of stupid today, give it a read: https://townhall.com/columnists/walt...vid19-n2567256
I'll try.

COVID-19 = JUST A LITTLE FLU
HERD IMMUNITY = GOOD
PRIVATE SERVICES = GOOD
GOVERNMENT SERVICES = BAD

Did Jair Bolsonaro write this?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 04:01 AM   #678
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
How many of those are waving Confederate flags "ironically"?

Because in Michigan, there were those marching who were carrying Confederate flags, and the explanation is that they were using it to symbolize the governor's tyranny. Because, you know, those are not like the same people who say things like "Heritage not hate" and think that it represents "states' rights" and stuff like that.
I'm pretty impressed that they had the foresight to have purchased those flags so far ahead of time, then. I can't even get brake parts for my car from Amazon Prime for 3 weeks, so I don't imagine they're shipping those flags out any faster. I would also guess that the local Flag store was closed by the very lock down that was being protested, so the ironic hipsters couldn't have just popped on over there to buy one. The whole idea to plan ahead and buy a Confederate flag just in case you might need it one day and totally not because you agree with what the Confederacy fought for would never occur to me. You know, I bet these same people have swastikas or Nazi flags or outfits boxed up and ready to go just in case they need something different for the next protest!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 07:17 AM   #679
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

This is interesting. I checked in at townhall.com, as I do most days, and found this:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...ebola-n2567442

The title asked "Why did the world shut down for Wuhan coronavirus, but not for Sars, Swine flu, Mers, or Ebola?"

What really surprised me is that the answers were -- honest. I mean, they were medical. The basic story was that Covid 19 is more dangerous than the flu, and much more easily transmissible than SARS, MERS, or Ebola.

In the body of the article he even called it COVID-19, instead of Wuhan coronavirus. I'm thinking the editors have a policy of only using the Wuhan coronavirus name in headlines.

He didn't praise Trump in the article, and that's one of the themes I've brought up a lot in this thread ever since I've started it. Even the "Trump supporters" I was looking for haven't done a whole lot of Trump supporting. They've done a whole lot of Democrat, media, and China bashing, but not much praise for Trump.

But this one actually called social distancing "key" in fighting the virus, although he said the restrictions were unsustainable. He's right on both counts.

The guy's name was Matt Vespa. It's not a name I'm familiar with. I wonder if we'll see him at townhall again.

ETA: I looked him up. Apparently, he's the "senior editor" at townhall. So, I guess we'll see him again, unless being senior editor doesn't mean he actually runs the place.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 23rd April 2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 23rd April 2020, 07:19 AM   #680
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Wonder why he didn't look at the responses to the other pandemics?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics