ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 23rd April 2020, 08:08 AM   #681
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I’ve looked up some statistics based on decades of polling and it turns out opposition to the Vietnam War first began to grow in the mid 1960s among the oldest segments of society. It took a year or more for the younger segments to get on board. Those of draft age were among the last to “get on board”!

Many of the people at protests did tend to be young: more energy, more willingness to take risks versus older people? But those opposing the war, overall, were the older members of society.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 08:15 AM   #682
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
He didn't praise Trump in the article, and that's one of the themes I've brought up a lot in this thread ever since I've started it. Even the "Trump supporters" I was looking for haven't done a whole lot of Trump supporting. They've done a whole lot of Democrat, media, and China bashing, but not much praise for Trump.
That seems to be the trend that I've been seeing, too. They are using the fact that he "closed the border" with China for all it's worth, but apart from that it's all whataboutisms and "no one else saw this coming, either" and grasping at various straws. "Oh, you say Trump didn't take this seriously, but here's a YouTube video of Democrats in the streets thinking corona isn't dangerous!". Some of them are for some reason claiming no one has done more than he, but come to think of it I haven't seen that particular claim recently either, they seem to have fallen back to the old canards about how we're just brainwashed by MSM and that every other head of state is incompetent, too.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 08:16 AM   #683
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I’ve looked up some statistics based on decades of polling and it turns out opposition to the Vietnam War first began to grow in the mid 1960s among the oldest segments of society. It took a year or more for the younger segments to get on board. Those of draft age were among the last to “get on board”!

Many of the people at protests did tend to be young: more energy, more willingness to take risks versus older people? But those opposing the war, overall, were the older members of society.
Interesting.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 08:54 AM   #684
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

My uncle (generally conservative, but not a Trump supporter) made the following Facebook post:
Quote:
This evidence is circumstantial, to be sure, but it all points toward the Wuhan labs. Thanks to the Chinese coverup, we may never have direct, conclusive evidence—intelligence rarely works that way—but Americans justifiably can use common sense to follow the inherent logic of events to their likely conclusion.
Wonder if we will ever know source of this virus?
There was plenty of back and forth, when the conspiracy theorists started popping up. I have a screen shot of the best of it, but it's too big to host here. Here's the transcript:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy Theorist
The GLOBALISTS (that includes a lot of people like most if not all of the DEMONcrats, George Soros, Bill Gates, and company!!!!)!!!! Just think MOTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Me
I give up. What's the motive?

Global economy is screeching to a halt. Wouldn't that *hurt* "The GLOBALISTS"?
I don't think so, Andy. They (the Globalists) are so filthy rich themselves anyway....I don't think they are affected by the crash in the economy like the rest of us are. As far as a motive, I believe that there are several key reasons why they spawned this virus on us: 1. To tank our economy; 2. to disrupt the natural process of the 2020 election (just like they did in 2016....just different methods) and hopefully to prevent President Trump from winning the election; 3. Possibly even to take down President Trump himself...i.e., illness or worse; 4. Depopulation. They think there are too many people on this earth and they want to lower the WORLD population DRASTICALLY (google The Georgia Guidestones and see for yourself. It's chiseled in stone and THEY MEAN IT!); 5. They want to get people IN THEIR CONTROL...and they're doing it. They quarantined us; made us stay inside; told us what we can and can't do; in some states they also took this opportunity to start confiscating guns because gun sales went up. While we were quarantined, they put up 5G towers, strategically, everywhere, world-wide. 5G is toxic AND lethal to both animals AND humans. It is a tracking device. They will know which nostril you are breathing out of. That kind of radiation can see into people's homes, through walls, sort of like x-rays..but better. But what is the central goal of all these motives you ask? WORLD DOMINATION!! TOTALITARIANISM. They are installing and will be implementing their NEW WORLD ORDER with them as the undisputed authorities and everyone else subjugated to them......and dissenters, I'm sure, will be done away with. Grim, I know....but it's all true. The best way to have gotten rid of this virus would have been to keep the kids in school, quarantine ONLY the already sick and elderly, and let everyone go about their normal business and work, etc., and build up immunity THAT way. Fresh air, sunshine, exercise, activity is the way to kill viruses....not to quarantine healthy people and weaken them and MAKE them sick at times, AND DESTROY THE JEWEL OF THE EARTH OF AN ECONOMY AND NATION!!! We've never done this for any other viruses! We just naturally ride them out...but not now. The reasons are what I have mentioned. I'll be quiet now. Said enough.
There is so much to unpack there, I just laughed and took the screenshot.
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:44 AM   #685
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
My uncle (generally conservative, but not a Trump supporter) made the following Facebook post:

There was plenty of back and forth, when the conspiracy theorists started popping up. I have a screen shot of the best of it, but it's too big to host here. Here's the transcript:

How does your uncle feel about being on the same side of the argument as that wing nut?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:00 AM   #686
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Quote:
I don't think so, Andy. They (the Globalists) are so filthy rich themselves anyway....I don't think they are affected by the crash in the economy like the rest of us are. As far as a motive, I believe that there are several key reasons why they spawned this virus on us: 1. To tank our economy; 2. to disrupt the natural process of the 2020 election (just like they did in 2016....just different methods) and hopefully to prevent President Trump from winning the election; 3. Possibly even to take down President Trump himself...i.e., illness or worse; 4. Depopulation. They think there are too many people on this earth and they want to lower the WORLD population DRASTICALLY (google The Georgia Guidestones and see for yourself. It's chiseled in stone and THEY MEAN IT!); 5. They want to get people IN THEIR CONTROL...and they're doing it. They quarantined us; made us stay inside; told us what we can and can't do; in some states they also took this opportunity to start confiscating guns because gun sales went up. While we were quarantined, they put up 5G towers, strategically, everywhere, world-wide. 5G is toxic AND lethal to both animals AND humans. It is a tracking device. They will know which nostril you are breathing out of. That kind of radiation can see into people's homes, through walls, sort of like x-rays..but better. But what is the central goal of all these motives you ask? WORLD DOMINATION!! TOTALITARIANISM. They are installing and will be implementing their NEW WORLD ORDER with them as the undisputed authorities and everyone else subjugated to them......and dissenters, I'm sure, will be done away with. Grim, I know....but it's all true. The best way to have gotten rid of this virus would have been to keep the kids in school, quarantine ONLY the already sick and elderly, and let everyone go about their normal business and work, etc., and build up immunity THAT way. Fresh air, sunshine, exercise, activity is the way to kill viruses....not to quarantine healthy people and weaken them and MAKE them sick at times, AND DESTROY THE JEWEL OF THE EARTH OF AN ECONOMY AND NATION!!! We've never done this for any other viruses! We just naturally ride them out...but not now. The reasons are what I have mentioned. I'll be quiet now. Said enough.
Meh, need more Hillary and Obama

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:40 AM   #687
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
How does your uncle feel about being on the same side of the argument as that wing nut?
I don't know how he knows this person, but I think the only thing they have in common is thinking that the virus was created in a lab. He has, at least, changed his mind on things in the past. He originally didn't take COVID-19 very seriously. He posted a pic of him at a swimming pool and people came down hard on him about it. Now, he's on the side of staying at home and distancing.
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:42 AM   #688
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Meh, need more Hillary and Obama
I followed through to her Facebook wall. She was holding back. She has links there about how Obama/Biden gave $3.7 million to the lab in Wuhan.
Old 23rd April 2020, 05:24 PM   #689
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
This evidence is circumstantial, to be sure, but it all points toward the Wuhan labs. Thanks to the Chinese coverup, we may never have direct, conclusive evidence—intelligence rarely works that way—but Americans justifiably can use common sense to follow the inherent logic of events to their likely conclusion.
Wonder if we will ever know source of this virus?

Does you uncle think the virus was created in the Wuhan lab or that it only somehow escaped from it (as in an infected employee at the lab)?

AIUI, there is no question that the virus exists in the wild and is not man made.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 07:24 PM   #690
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Does you uncle think the virus was created in the Wuhan lab or that it only somehow escaped from it (as in an infected employee at the lab)?

AIUI, there is no question that the virus exists in the wild and is not man made.
Unclear. I would hazard a guess that he believes it is a man made virus, but I’m just guessing.
Old 23rd April 2020, 08:03 PM   #691
zorro99
Muse

Trump supporters are saying Obama gave lots of money to the Wuhan lab.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXYFQ...ature=youtu.be
Old 24th April 2020, 04:42 AM   #692
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

One of these "let us work" protesters in California is being charged with kidnapping a news crew at knifepoint. Apparently he was upset that he was recorded at a public protest, threatened the camera crew with a knife, and made them go back to their news van and delete all footage.

Not sure he really understands how protests work. News coverage is generally considered desirable.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavi...242167221.html
Old 24th April 2020, 07:42 AM   #693
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
One of these "let us work" protesters in California is being charged with kidnapping a news crew at knifepoint.
I wonder if that had any effect on the news crew's right to work.
Old 24th April 2020, 10:01 AM   #694
johnny karate

And the news crew was from, wait for it... Fox News.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 11:42 AM   #695
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And the news crew was from, wait for it... Fox News.
Actually from a Fox-affiliated local station, which is not the same thing. The headline is extremely misleading.
Old 24th April 2020, 12:11 PM   #696
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

People are protesting at Georgia's capital against the re-opening of businesses. Does this mean that protesting is bad again?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 04:51 PM   #697
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Trump supporters are saying Obama gave lots of money to the Wuhan lab.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXYFQ...ature=youtu.be
Quote:
Both the United States and Canada have sent money to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, the Chinese lab that multiple sources tell Fox News is suspected of being the likely source of the coronavirus pandemic — with the Canadian funding coming as recently as last month.
AHA! It's those damned Canadians behind all this! No wonder Trump wanted to put our soldiers on the northern border. I bet Trudeau wasn't even born in Canada. What kind of a name is 'Trudeau'? Sounds damned foreign to me! Frenchie, I bet.

()
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 05:33 PM   #698
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Actually from a Fox-affiliated local station, which is not the same thing. The headline is extremely misleading.
Do they even *do* local news?
Old 24th April 2020, 05:49 PM   #699
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Do they even *do* local news?
Seriously? Yes, they have a network the same as ABC, NBC, and CBS, with affiliated local stations. Here in the Puget Regions, it's KCPQ, channel 13. Their entertainment content (such as The Simpsons) is now owned by Disney!
Old 24th April 2020, 06:11 PM   #700
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously? Yes, they have a network the same as ABC, NBC, and CBS, with affiliated local stations. Here in the Puget Regions, it's KCPQ, channel 13. Their entertainment content (such as The Simpsons) is now owned by Disney!
It was more of a joke, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Local news has universally taken a hit, not just Fox network. Everywhere. Every media (newspapers, magazines, radio...)
Old 24th April 2020, 06:28 PM   #701
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of how Trump's careless words can influence the none-too-bright:

Quote:
“Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace said on Friday that the state of Maryland emergency hotline had received more than 100 calls from people asking whether it was safe for them to drink a disinfectant.

“It may sound crazy, but obviously people take the president’s word seriously,” he said. “The answer is no, it’s not safe.”
https://apnews.com/4199ef602eee20d327417781469fd8d9

Not directly related to Trump's latest idiocy but this still demonstrates how stupid people can be:

Quote:
CB is a 35-year-old man presenting to the emergency room unconscious. His mom tells the admitting nurse that she found him on the floor with an empty bottle of rubbing alcohol in his hand. CB had read on the Internet that alcohol disinfects the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Afraid that he had been infected after touching his face at the grocery store, CB found a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol and started drinking it.
https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/86094
Old 24th April 2020, 08:57 PM   #702
johnny karate

Well, the headline says “Fox journalist” which I think is accurate.

I, however, am guilty of a misattribution. My apologies.
Old 24th April 2020, 11:14 PM   #703
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Well, the headline says “Fox journalist” which I think is accurate.

I, however, am guilty of a misattribution. My apologies.
No, you were being sarcastic. Own up to it.
Old 25th April 2020, 05:56 AM   #704
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

One candidate for president suggested ingesting house cleaners and one didn't. That's all you have to know this November.
Old 25th April 2020, 06:41 AM   #705
johnny karate

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
No, you were being sarcastic. Own up to it.
You know, you’re right. I never have to admit being wrong again.

Thanks, Worst President Ever!
Old 25th April 2020, 06:43 AM   #706
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
One candidate for president suggested ingesting house cleaners and one didn't. That's all you have to know this November.
I sincerely hope that clip is used in an attack ad at some point.
Old 25th April 2020, 07:03 AM   #707
slyjoe
Master Poster

[voice of John Goodman] So much material, so little time. [/voice of John Goodman]
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 11:00 AM   #708
Masque
Student

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think the GOP is going to run into trouble when the majority of boomers have died, so in about 10-20 years.

Of course they blame the Dems. They are taking their cues from Trump and he is tacitly supporting them even though it's going against his own guidelines. I think IQs drop about 20 points south of the Mason Dixon line.
Actually, us Boomers are about equally divided between Democrat and Republican, with a slight edge to the Democrats. Gen X is very similarly divided. The Silent Generation tended Republican, but they're all 75 and up now. This is according to Pew, btw.

Instead of waiting for Grandma to die, maybe the Millennials should just go out and vote.
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 05:59 PM   #709
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/two...bea880bf9.html

I'm thinking these guys aren't helping the cause.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:14 PM   #710
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Two Bakersfield doctors cite their testing data to urge reopening [Bakersfield.com]

I fixed your link. Please see The Campaign for Good Linking.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:20 PM   #711
johnny karate

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
https://www.bakersfield.com/news/two...bea880bf9.html

Once you have a doctor citing constitutional rights instead of medical science, it might be time for a second opinion.
Old 25th April 2020, 08:47 PM   #712
Elagabalus
Philosopher

OK, they know which nostril I breath out of?!! Not even my own ******* brain knows that!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 08:48 PM   #713
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I fixed your link. Please see The Campaign for Good Linking.
I see you ARE doing IT again!!

People, good linking is enslavement!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 09:00 PM   #714
Cheetah
Master Poster

You selfish bastard, it’s for the good of all of us.
Old 25th April 2020, 09:01 PM   #715
Cheetah
Master Poster

Edit: apparently it needs repeating, must be important.

Last edited by Cheetah; 25th April 2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Double post
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 09:03 PM   #716
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
You can say that again!
Old 26th April 2020, 01:30 AM   #717
Cheetah
Master Poster

Old 26th April 2020, 04:35 PM   #718
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

With Drumpf, the attack ads write themselves. You hardly need editing, just post videos of him saying Things. Possibly with dates, so that you can point out the contradictions.
Old 26th April 2020, 05:14 PM   #719
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Here's All Gas No Brakes reporting from a coronavirus lockdown protest in Sacramento, California on April 20, 2020.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 26th April 2020, 05:33 PM   #720
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Here's All Gas No Brakes reporting from a coronavirus lockdown protest in Sacramento, California on April 20, 2020.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Well, I got about two minutes into it before I couldn’t take anymore.

We’re all going to die.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics