IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags instant runoff voting , Ranked Choice Voting , voting issues , voting systems

Old 10th November 2016, 06:36 AM   #1
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool Ranked-Choice Voting

Most people who post on this forum are smarter than me, so I thought I'd see how people would feel about Ranked-Choice voting in the US. I know a couple states have tried to skirt the Electoral College with the proportional award (ME, NE, and CO are the only ones so far, right?). But Maine also just approved a Ranked-Choice initiative.

Do you agree with this in principle?

How do you think this would have affected the election?

I for one am a bigger fan of Ranked-Choice than just one and done.

I think more people would have made a practical vote followed by a vote of conscience this time around. Not sure if it would have affected the outcome given the mechanics of the EC and that alt-right swell, but it may have.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

I've just had it explained to me in another thread and I'd like to see it tried at least.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 09:41 AM   #3
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Ranked-Choice will work great when it gets your candidate elected. When it elects the other guy's candidate, it will be time to suggest a change to something else.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 09:43 AM   #4
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I've just had it explained to me in another thread and I'd like to see it tried at least.
I did the math. If Stein and Johnson votes went to their second choice, and assuming 100% of Stein votes went to Clinton, Trump needs 53% of the libertarian vote to take a popular vote majority. Would be tough, but I think people who don't follow the party underestimate libertarian dislike of Clinton.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 09:58 AM   #5
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I did the math. If Stein and Johnson votes went to their second choice, and assuming 100% of Stein votes went to Clinton, Trump needs 53% of the libertarian vote to take a popular vote majority. Would be tough, but I think people who don't follow the party underestimate libertarian dislike of Clinton.
The Trump share of Johnson voters drops to 50% if he somehow captured 20% of Stein voters.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 12:37 PM   #6
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
Most people who post on this forum are smarter than me*

* smarter than I

I'm just being a smart ass.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 05:46 PM   #7
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
Ranked-Choice will work great when it gets your candidate elected. When it elects the other guy's candidate, it will be time to suggest a change to something else.
Nonsense. Voting systems are a field of study and there has been a lot of research into how different systems function. Some are objectively better than others.
Old 10th November 2016, 06:39 PM   #8
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Fascist dictatorship, IMO.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 06:49 PM   #9
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Nonsense. Voting systems are a field of study and there has been a lot of research into how different systems function. Some are objectively better than others.
According to...who?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin

Last edited by Dumb All Over; 10th November 2016 at 06:50 PM.
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 06:05 PM   #10
ddt
Mafia Penguin

According to...who?
According to Concordet?

And about Ranked-Choice - why yet another name? The Brits called it Alternative Vote when they held a referendum on it a few years ago, but the canonical name is Instant-runoff voting. Why do I have to remember half a dozen names for the same voting system?

ETA: to be clear, for electing a single candidate for a single seat, I think IRV is a fine system. Its main attractions over the crude FPTP that the US employs now in virtually every election is that
1) it avoids the spoiler effect of "me too" candidates, where two similar candidates who are still preferred by a majority of the populace, lose out to another because their votes are split
2) it enables third parties greater visibility. You can still vote Nader with Gore as second choice without having to fear that Shrub wins.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 11th November 2016 at 06:14 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 06:13 PM   #11
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
According to Concordet?

And about Ranked-Choice - why yet another name? The Brits called it Alternative Vote when they held a referendum on it a few years ago, but the canonical name is Instant-runoff voting. Why do I have to remember half a dozen names for the same voting system?
As we've been using it since 1918, we get to name it: Preferential Voting
Old 11th November 2016, 06:19 PM   #12
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
As we've been using it since 1918, we get to name it: Preferential Voting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...-runoff_voting:
Quote:
William Robert Ware, the founder of the schools of architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Columbia University,[1] invented IRV around 1870 by applying the Single Transferable Vote system to single winner elections.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 07:56 AM   #13
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
* smarter than I

I'm just being a smart ass.
Well, smarter than I for sure.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 09:29 AM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Objectively better under certain arbitrary value judgments, that is.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics