IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags avian flu , vaccine conspiracies

Old 8th March 2009, 08:49 AM   #1
HereticHulk
Muse

Contamination Of Vaccine With Live Avian Flu Virus

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...sWf5pnu5OIby9w

Quote:
The contaminated product, which Baxter calls "experimental virus material," was made at the Orth-Donau research facility. Baxter makes its flu vaccine - including a human H5N1 vaccine for which a licence is expected shortly - at a facility in the Czech Republic.

People familiar with biosecurity rules are dismayed by evidence that human H3N2 and avian H5N1 viruses somehow co-mingled in the Orth-Donau facility. That is a dangerous practice that should not be allowed to happen, a number of experts insisted.

Accidental release of a mixture of live H5N1 and H3N2 viruses could have resulted in dire consequences.

While H5N1 doesn't easily infect people, H3N2 viruses do. If someone exposed to a mixture of the two had been simultaneously infected with both strains, he or she could have served as an incubator for a hybrid virus able to transmit easily to and among people.

That mixing process, called reassortment, is one of two ways pandemic viruses are created.
Gross negligence or someone starting a potential pandemic for profit?

Discuss.

Last edited by HereticHulk; 8th March 2009 at 08:50 AM.
HereticHulk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2009, 09:59 AM   #2
jezcoe
Scholar

I never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained through human stupidity.
jezcoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Arus808
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jezcoe View Post
I never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained through human stupidity.
qft

“Life may begin at 30, but it doesn’t get real interesting until about 150.”
“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
Arus808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Franziska
Scholar

Does anybody remember the one that went around in the 80's claiming that the Russians had intentionally contaminated our polio vaccines in the 50's and 60's so that when the kids grew up they'd die of brain tumors? People were scared for awhile.
Franziska is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2009, 02:05 AM   #5
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

If conspiracy,then idiotical.

Since they were to be tested in lab,risk for outside world (us) was small.
We have just discussion how to prevent such things and how could that happen at all.

But I expected to see CT about it here sooner or later.Thanks for not disappointing me.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2009, 06:06 AM   #6
Ohnoes
Critical Thinker

Just another CT flavor of the week...
Ohnoes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2009, 03:27 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Those Gamma rays do nasty things to the Human Mind.....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2009, 03:51 PM   #8
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Quick, Project "Cuckoo Flu Woo" has been compromised. This thread will self distruct in 5...4...3...

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2009, 02:45 AM   #9
Klimax

Originally Posted by T.A.M. View Post
Quick, Project "Cuckoo Flu Woo" has been compromised. This thread will self distruct in 5...4...3...

TAM
*Nuclear kaboom*

Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2009, 04:05 AM   #10
abenja1
Muse

Originally Posted by HereticHulk View Post

Discuss.
You say the media is bought and paid for you. You quote said media. You're a hypocrite. End of discussion.

JihadJane actually thinks its okay for truthers to call for the murder of people they disagree with.
911-Investigator believes that Jews should have no rights of any kind, even those dictated by the Constitution.
abenja1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2009, 02:44 PM   #11
fullflavormenthol
Master Poster

I was concerned until I did my research by visiting the CDC website, and Avian Flu for the most part isn't as bad as it would seem to most people. Chances are we will all survive it. I reminds me of the South Park episode Red Man's Greed. "95% of us will survive...cough...cough"

Still it is bad that a company effed up in that respect...maybe they should be forced to pay for the health coverage of the infected people...most of which will survive with proper care. I may seem cold, but even the common cold will kill a percentage each year. All diseases are potentially deadly.
Old 10th March 2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by HereticHulk View Post

Discuss.
So let's follow the logic. You've got a potential billion dollar drug going through final testing at FDA, so you decide to let Professor Evil mess with the batches and work on PEPDID(Professor Evil's Patented Death Inducing Drug) during the time when you're under the most scrutiny? And then make sure the PEPDID tests aren't kept apart from the Avian Flu Vaccine tests so that the results will become public knowledge toot sweet?

Yeah, sounds realistic to me. That's how most evil corporations do it, I'm sure.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2009, 11:18 AM   #13
INRM
Philosopher

If I was to expect the worst, I'd assume this was done not just to create a pandemic for the profit of a country, but for the US itself. Get the whole world sick, then force everyone to come to you for the treatment. With modern travel and such a pandemic could spread far more effectively than it did in say 1918

One could also argue that the idea was to force a one world government into being. Get the whole world sick, create a situation of disaster, then get the whole world to band together to deal with the crisis, then during this process from behind close doors steps are made to ensure that they don't ever disband and go back to being individual nations again.

INRM
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2009, 01:27 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Did'nt Ernst Stavro Blofeld try this routine in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"?
More grist for my "CT Kooks think that the VIllians in James Bond Movies are for real" thesis.

Last edited by dudalb; 11th March 2009 at 01:35 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2009, 01:39 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
One could also argue that the idea was to force a one world government into being. Get the whole world sick, create a situation of disaster, then get the whole world to band together to deal with the crisis, then during this process from behind close doors steps are made to ensure that they don't ever disband and go back to being individual nations again.
Wow, WATCHMEN references are Everywhere....
Old 11th March 2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Klimax

Originally Posted by INRM View Post
If I was to expect the worst, I'd assume this was done not just to create a pandemic for the profit of a country, but for the US itself. Get the whole world sick, then force everyone to come to you for the treatment. With modern travel and such a pandemic could spread far more effectively than it did in say 1918

INRM
Failed.When lab is researching such dangerous things,usually is under close watch and employees are under medical supervision.Not good way to spread anything.

There are many other ways and better ones then this.

JAQ:What the hell do you have however with one world goverment??? I suspect that it is anyway neccessity and sooner or later it will be,since some problems simply need one overseeing body.(With public control)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories