IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags adolf hitler , donald trump , Nazi comparisons

Old 25th June 2018, 12:33 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Why Trump/Hitler Comparisons are Unfair

Aside from the matter of a few million dead Poles and Jews, the whole comparison is laughable.

Trump - aka Colonel Bone Spurs - is a coward.

Hitler was demonstrably not. He fought with distinction in WWI, and says himself that he thrived on the war.

Trump inherited a booming economy.

Hitler inherited an economy that was an utter mess. He raised the living standard of all Germans, while Trump is hurting those that need the most help.

Hitler united Germany.

Trump is dividing America - maybe permanently.

Hitler started from humble beginnings and worked his way up to be the baddest dictator ever.

Trump was born with two silver spoons in his mouth and still would have gone bankrupt had daddy not intervened, and only ended up POTUS thanks to Robert Mercer deciding to make him boss.

The only thing the two have in common is racism, and there are plenty of racists about.
Old 25th June 2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Hitler united Germany ...

... for a couple hours.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 12:38 PM   #3
The Big Dog

When a piece opens up with "Aside from the matter of a few million dead Poles and Jews" you know you are in for some "good" "satire."
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 12:46 PM   #4
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
... for a couple hours.
Or a decade. YMMV
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Hitler was demonstrably not. He fought with distinction in WWI, and says himself that he thrived on the war.
How can you say Trump is a coward? He claimed he would rush into a building even if there was an active shooter inside. If that's not bravery, what is?

Besides, he claimed he had sex with women in the 70s/80s. Said it was his own "personal Vietnam". That shows massive bravery right there.
Quote:
The only thing the two have in common is racism, and there are plenty of racists about.
There are a bunch of other things they have in common. For example, both made deals with Russia, at least during part of their tenures. And both of them gained power despite not having a majority of the popular vote.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 01:49 PM   #6
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

... The only thing the two have in common is racism, and there are plenty of racists about.
No there's more than that they have in common:

* populists / nationalists
* demonizing minorities
* disregard for rule of law
* disregard for free press
* wannabe dictators
Old 25th June 2018, 01:58 PM   #7
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think anyone is seriously saying that Trump is literally Hitler. I could make the comparison to how Trump's movement spread in the poorer white classes and how it spread in poor Weimar Germany. I could compare Hitler's mass rallys with Trump's, their vilifying of the press and of "others". Even their hard on for flaunting their armies is comparable.

There are many comparisons between Trumpism and Nazism. There are few comparisons between Trump and Hitler.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 02:19 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think Mussolini is a much better comparasion.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 02:20 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
How can you say Trump is a coward? He claimed he would rush into a building even if there was an active shooter inside. If that's not bravery, what is?

Besides, he claimed he had sex with women in the 70s/80s. Said it was his own "personal Vietnam". That shows massive bravery right there.
Wow.

In response to a post that says this:
Hitler inherited an economy that was an utter mess. He raised the living standard of all Germans
You find the time to criticize Trump?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I thought it was fairly well implied that The Atheist meant all Aryan Germans. Did you not?
Old 25th June 2018, 02:29 PM   #11
The Big Dog

Wow.

Yeah, they make this here Hitler fella look pretty good, except for the unimaginable atrocities of the Holocaust and starting World war II which led to 80 million deaths.

The next time I want to write a piece about something I don't like, I am absolutely gonna get off on the right foot by deliberately diminishing the Holocaust.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 02:37 PM   #12
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Yeah, they make this here Hitler fella look pretty good, except for the unimaginable atrocities of the Holocaust and starting World war II which led to 80 million deaths.
I think the point you're missing is that Hitler didn't start off making the unimaginable atrocities of the Holocaust.

He started off blaming all of Germany's problems on a largely powerless minority, stoking hatred against that minority, eventually making that minority illegal, and separating them from their children. Then, Hitler moved on to yuge levels of evil.
Old 25th June 2018, 02:46 PM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

Wow.

Hitler inherited an economy that was an utter mess. He raised the living standard of all Germans

Well, first of all, you do realize that there is at least a little sarcasm in my post. However, given the fact that bravery is often held up as something important to many people (especially the right wing) then highlighting Trump's cowardice is certainly fair game.

As for Hitler inheriting an economy that was in a mess... I seem to notice that you ignored the part about Trump inheriting a booming economy.

Do you have any evidence that the opening post was wrong? Do you deny that the economy Trump inherited from Obama was more successful than that inherited by Hitler?

I do recognize that this particular thread is rather over-the-top. But, in its excessive silliness it does serve as a platform for highlighting some of Trump's failures as a human being.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 02:51 PM   #14
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I think the point you're missing is that Hitler didn't start off making the unimaginable atrocities of the Holocaust.

He started off blaming all of Germany's problems on a largely powerless minority, stoking hatred against that minority, eventually making that minority illegal, and separating them from their children. Then, Hitler moved on to yuge levels of evil.
Learning so much about Hitler! Mostly how he is the new darling of the anti-Trumpers.

Good catch on that aryan part, tho, Hitler was certainly all in for them and they were all doing pretty good, until the entire dying in humanity's largest war.
Old 25th June 2018, 02:54 PM   #15
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Learning so much about Hitler! Mostly how he is the new darling of the anti-Trumpers.
New strawman to bat around? No.

Good catch on that aryan part, tho, Hitler was certainly all in for them and they were all doing pretty good, until the entire dying in humanity's largest war.
....what are you talking about?
Old 25th June 2018, 02:58 PM   #16
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't think anyone is seriously saying that Trump is literally Hitler.
If it hasn't actually been said in those words, the rhetoric is skating very close to it:

https://fpif.org/its-time-to-take-th...ons-seriously/

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think Mussolini is a much better comparasion.
I agree, and have said so for the last 18 months, but I think that concept is a bit esoteric for most people.

If I recall my history correctly, it was actually UK that started WWII. Up until then, it was just a little liebensraum action, with a few dead Poles dressed as Germans. I agree the Holocaust wasn't a good look, but President Trump has said there are some very fine people among the actual Nazis, so it clearly doesn't bother him too much.

He also did pay for ads in NYT to call for the execution of five innocent black guys a couple of years back, so I can't rule out the possibility that he would commit his own Holocaust if he thought he'd get away with it.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:00 PM   #17
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I do recognize that this particular thread is rather over-the-top. But, in its excessive silliness it does serve as a platform for highlighting some of Trump's failures as a human being.
It is also supposed to highlight the stupidity of the comparison, no matter which way you view it.

Interestingly, I've found a New Yoik Joo who is saying much the same thing as me, although probably much better: https://www.jpost.com/US-Elections/D...-Hitler-467701
Old 25th June 2018, 03:04 PM   #18
The Big Dog

I

If I recall my history correctly, it was actually UK that started WWII.
This thread is destined to be a towering monument to TDS.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:08 PM   #19
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Learning so much about Hitler! Mostly how he is the new darling of the anti-Trumpers. ...
That's a lie.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:10 PM   #20
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

If I recall my history correctly, it was actually UK that started WWII.
You misremember that.

Up until then, it was just a little liebensraum action, with a few dead Poles dressed as Germans. ...
You misremember that as well.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:11 PM   #21
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
That's a lie.
Oh dear, had he been a favorite for a while now?

It is difficult to keep up.

Thanks for the correction. Hitler, long standing darling of the anti-Trumpers.

Good catch
Old 25th June 2018, 03:18 PM   #22
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Hitler, long standing darling of the anti-Trumpers.
That's another lie.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:22 PM   #23
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
That's another lie.
Really? Huh, well, seeing as how I have read this thread, i am going to just have to go ahead and disagree.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:46 PM   #24
Fudbucker
Philosopher

You don't see any similarities with Trump and fascist dictators? The scapegoating? The attacks on the press? Attacks on lawful institutions? Dehumanizing rhetoric? Military parades? Inhumane policies? Living in some bizarro version of reality?

What's it going to take? Trump stuffed into a bemedaled military uniform saluting the troops from a balcony?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 03:55 PM   #25
NoahFence
Banned

Really? Huh, well, seeing as how I have read this thread, i am going to just have to go ahead and disagree.
If anti trumpers compare him to Hitler, then it's a pretty safe bet that they like neither.

Which is amazingly the complete opposite of your assertion that he's an anti trumper "darling"
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 03:56 PM   #26
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
You don't see any similarities with Trump and fascist dictators? The scapegoating? The attacks on the press? Attacks on lawful institutions? Dehumanizing rhetoric? Military parades? Inhumane policies? Living in some bizarro version of reality?

What's it going to take? Trump stuffed into a bemedaled military uniform saluting the troops from a balcony?
I think its just a fantasy world
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 04:02 PM   #27
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
... for a couple hours.
Hitler never united Germany. He never won a majority vote. Berlin was the most anti Nazi place in all of Germany. Many German Army and Navy officers were to varying degrees anti Hitler (though it would be a mistake to assume that meant they were pro democracy).

However, I have no real problems with comparisons. It's our check and balances and the fact our institutions are more powerful than the people who run them that keeps Trump from ordering the Border Patrol to fire on women and children. I have no doubt that Trump would happily let families die in the Desert Southwest if he could. We aren't Nazi Germany right now because the only actual Nazis are appointees of the Trump Administration. I'd start to worry when that vile Bitch of the Briefing Room can sit down to eat somewhere in DC that's not the Trump Hotel in peace.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 04:36 PM   #28
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Aside from the matter of a few million dead Poles and Jews, the whole comparison is laughable.

Hitler inherited an economy that was an utter mess. He raised the living standard of all Germans, while Trump is hurting those that need the most help.

Hitler united Germany.

Hitler started from humble beginnings and worked his way up to be the baddest dictator ever.

Trump was born with two silver spoons in his mouth and still would have gone bankrupt had daddy not intervened, and only ended up POTUS thanks to Robert Mercer deciding to make him boss.
You're right, Trump is nothing like Hitler. But you know who is? Obama! Inherited a bad economy, check, rose from humble beginnings, check.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 04:39 PM   #29
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

This thread is destined to be a towering monument to TDS.
Really? That's high praise.

I would have thought the towering monument was Trump Tower in NYC not having sprinklers.

You could even say Trump himself was a towering monument, but his height appears to have been wildly overstated, so it won't work.
Old 25th June 2018, 04:43 PM   #30
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Hitler, long standing darling of the anti-Trumpers.
I think I see the problem. When we compare Trump's acts to those of Hitler's, it's not meant to be a complement to Hitler. We're saying what Trump is doing is bad.
Old 25th June 2018, 04:48 PM   #31
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Hitler united Germany.

Is this the online version of your mate who turns to you and says that 'Hitler may have done many bad things but didn't he...'
Old 25th June 2018, 04:50 PM   #32
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is probably as bad as Hitler. To be safe, we should assume he is. It's the checks and balances and strength of our institutions that keep him on acting on his being as bad as Hitler. Hitler never gassed anyone. He had a instruments of national power that did. Trump isn't morally better than Hitler, he's just constrained in ways Hitler wasn't.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 04:59 PM   #33
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hitler raised the living standards temporarily by planning to invade and pillage all the other countries in Europe. he destroyed the civilian economy to fund and fuel the military.
He was no economic genius and performed no economic miracles, it was all a sham.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 05:19 PM   #34
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, Hitler inherited an economy that was well on the mend from the real mess of the early 1920's hyperinflation. The Great Depression from 1929 had a relatively minor impact on the German economy because it was still a small player in global trade.

In 1933 living standards were already improving because the hard work had already been done. The parallel with the repair of the 2008 economy by the Obama administration being inherited by Trump is eerie.

Hitler boosted the economy by deficit spending on a grand scale, with much of it going on unproductive armaments. By 1939 Germany was on the verge of bankruptcy, having already burned through the bank vaults of Czechoslovakia and Austria, and had to go to war with Poland somewhat earlier than intended.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 05:22 PM   #35
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I think I see the problem. When we compare Trump's acts to those of Hitler's, it's not meant to be a complement to Hitler. We're saying what Trump is doing is bad.
Not actually nitpicking, because they have different meanings - I'm sure you mean "compliment".

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trump is probably as bad as Hitler. To be safe, we should assume he is.
Well, you know what they say about assumptions...

That's a dangerous & silly comparison. Since becoming POTUS, Trump hasn't shown any signs of wanting to nuke anyone but NK, and Kim was kinda asking for it.

I'll grant the Trump is a cowardly, bullying moron with no class or decorum, but it seems well over the to assume he's going to get that much worse.

Isn't it cool that between Trump & his boss, Vladimir Putin, they make Xi look both moderate and statesmanlike?

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Hitler raised the living standards temporarily by planning to invade and pillage all the other countries in Europe. he destroyed the civilian economy to fund and fuel the military.
He was no economic genius and performed no economic miracles, it was all a sham.
If you want to follow that line of thinking, we probably need a new thread, because the mere fact that Hitler was able to plunder so much money out of the German economy for weapons, while simultaneously rasing the living standard of all Germany, does mean he performed economic miracles.

Trump, on the other hand, produces no economic miracles, because his only budget action I've seen so far strips what little money the poor have and drains it straight into the pockets of Trump's pals.

Completely un-Hitler-like.
Old 25th June 2018, 05:24 PM   #36
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If the assumption turns out to be unfounded, who cares? It's just Trump, no rule of honesty, or decency applies. It would be unpatriotic to have a means of inflicting political damage on Trump and not use it, honest or not.
Old 25th June 2018, 05:25 PM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Way too simplified in the first sentence, ,but correct in that Hitler's economic recovery was smoke and mirrors.finianced by what amounted to junk bonds. In fact, the Nazi economy was beginning to unravel in early 1939.
See a excellent book on the economic history of the Third Reich called "The Wages of Destruction" for details.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 05:26 PM   #38
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Not actually nitpicking, because they have different meanings - I'm sure you mean "compliment".

Well, you know what they say about assumptions...

That's a dangerous & silly comparison. Since becoming POTUS, Trump hasn't shown any signs of wanting to nuke anyone but NK, and Kim was kinda asking for it.

I'll grant the Trump is a cowardly, bullying moron with no class or decorum, but it seems well over the to assume he's going to get that much worse.

Isn't it cool that between Trump & his boss, Vladimir Putin, they make Xi look both moderate and statesmanlike?

If you want to follow that line of thinking, we probably need a new thread, because the mere fact that Hitler was able to plunder so much money out of the German economy for weapons, while simultaneously rasing the living standard of all Germany, does mean he performed economic miracles.

Trump, on the other hand, produces no economic miracles, because his only budget action I've seen so far strips what little money the poor have and drains it straight into the pockets of Trump's pals.

Completely un-Hitler-like.
I'm getting a certain impression here. Do you think the holocaust, as reported in mainstream publications, happened?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 05:26 PM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If the assumption turns out to be unfounded, who cares? It's just Trump, no rule of honesty, or decency applies. It would be unpatriotic to have a means of inflicting political damage on Trump and not use it, honest or not.

Unless it backfires........

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th June 2018, 05:28 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I'm getting a certain impression here. Do you think the holocaust, as reported in mainstream publications, happened?
The Athiest has a certain reputation for saying outrageous crap just to stir things up.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics