IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2021 elections , Glenn Youngkin , Terry McAuliffe , Virginia elections , Virginia politics

Old 8th November 2021, 05:13 PM   #81
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I admit I chuckled.
For real
Old 8th November 2021, 06:22 PM   #82
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
So the youngster tried twice to get a ballot and vote, even after being told the first time he was ineligible. Not only is he thick or determined to be corrupt, if he had been "immigrant-looking" then he would be in jail already.

Also , this begs the question: Was he the only one? How many OTHER GOP voters, including underage thickheads, tried the same tactic of voting twice or more, and succeeded without being detected?
Answering my own question: It appears that a couple of the youngster's friends did exactly that. Yo! High five, dudes!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 01:50 PM   #83
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I admit I chuckled.
Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
For real
It's actually kind of reassuring. We know Warp12 isn't hanging around in the kind of ignorant white people echo chambers where that kind of idea might be commonplace.
Old 10th November 2021, 11:15 PM   #84
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well, of course some people are going think that. Why wouldn't they? I mean you have people like Robin DiAngelo suggesting that white people need to behave in ways that are "less white". Whereas you don't often hear people suggest that black people behave in ways that are "less black".

A lot of people are not going to get behind that use of language.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 11:35 PM   #85
Warp12
Suspended

Well, of course some people are going think that. Why wouldn't they? I mean you have people like Robin DiAngelo suggesting that white people need to behave in ways that are "less white". Whereas you don't often hear people suggest that black people behave in ways that are "less black".

A lot of people are not going to get behind that use of language.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You know exactly what I am saying. It's not like people are generally celebrating books and training materials that are telling people that "blackness" is defined as a group of all negative traits.

For example, if a black person goes to work, they are not likely to be presented with training materials that say, "to be less black is to be less murderous", or "to be less black is to be less lazy". I doubt you will see a best-selling book on "Black Fragility and Thugishness" anytime soon.

These stupid racial generalizations have gained a lot of popularity when targeting whites, lately, however. Hence, as I say, you are going to get some pushback from people who equate such stupidity to CRT. Of course, the Democrats just know they are the smartest people in the audience, and they make that clear to voters. I hope they keep it up.

In the meantime, we can all celebrate Youngkin's victory.

Last edited by Warp12; 11th November 2021 at 12:06 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 12:15 AM   #86
Susheel
Master Poster

You know exactly what I am saying. It's not like people are generally celebrating books and training materials that are telling people that "blackness" is defined as a group of all negative traits.

For example, if a black person goes to work, they are not likely to be presented with training materials that say, "to be less black is to be less murderous", or "to be less black is to be less lazy". I doubt you will see a best-selling book on "Black Fragility and Thugishness" anytime soon.

These stupid racial generalizations have gained a lot of popularity when targeting whites, lately, however. Hence, as I say, you are going to get some pushback from people who equate such stupidity to CRT. Of course, the Democrats just know they are the smartest people in the audience, and they make that clear to voters. I hope they keep it up.

Nobody suggested that we did not understand what you meant...we were quite sure exactly what you meant. Thank you for confirming...though it was really not neccessary.
Old 11th November 2021, 02:16 AM   #87
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

In the meantime, we can all celebrate accept Youngkin's victory.
Because most of us here are grown-ups.

Meanwhile, there's still some manky brats getting about with confederate flags and guns who have yet to accept the results of the 2020 presidential election. Some even live in big houses in Florida. Perhaps you might tell them that it is OK to accept these sorts of things and to stop pouting.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 07:11 AM   #88
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Because most of us here are grown-ups.
I haven't seen much evidence of that.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 09:22 AM   #89
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

You know exactly what I am saying.
Yes, we all know exactly what you are saying.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 06:53 PM   #90
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I haven't seen much evidence of that.
I did say "most" of us here are grown-ups. There's some notable exceptions.
Old 11th November 2021, 07:09 PM   #91
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's actually kind of reassuring. We know Warp12 isn't hanging around in the kind of ignorant white people echo chambers where that kind of idea might be commonplace.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 06:47 AM   #92
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Nobody suggested that we did not understand what you meant...we were quite sure exactly what you meant. Thank you for confirming...though it was really not neccessary.

These days, young black people are more likely to be told to act "less black" by their parents in an effort to reduce the chance of being shot by the police during a traffic stop.
I remember a TV show from the early 90s in which a black character was embarrassed to admit that, whenever he interacted with the police, he would hike up his pants and act like Steve Urkel to make sure he seemed harmless.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2021, 08:00 AM   #93
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't know whether to be relieved or irritated that white supremacists have no notion of code switching.
Old 13th November 2021, 04:11 PM   #94
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I don't know whether to be relieved or irritated that white supremacists have no notion of code switching.
Not to mention the things black women have been coerced to do to their hair in order to get and keep jobs.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2021, 04:14 PM   #95
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Not to mention the things black women have been coerced to do to their hair in order to get and keep jobs.
How exactly does this figure into the election results?

Last edited by Warp12; 13th November 2021 at 04:16 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2021, 04:42 PM   #96
Carlotta
Muse

Pardon me. I thought someone said something about being told to act less black for jobs.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2021, 01:14 AM   #97
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

True. From WAPO:
Quote:
"In 2017, at a gala luncheon hosted at the opulent Cipriani 42nd Street in New York, Minda Harts found herself seated next to a recruiter for corporate board positions. Over cocktails and a plated fish entree, the two talked about race in the boardroom; the recruiter, a white woman, complained about the challenges of finding black women to be corporate directors.

To test how she’d respond, Harts, who founded a career development company for women of color and had a book on the topic released in August, asked the recruiter who she would feel more comfortable putting forward as a candidate for a board: a woman of color with a sleek ponytail, or one with a natural hairstyle such as locs or an Afro. The recruiter said the woman with the ponytail, Harts recalled. “The phrase she used was ‘clean-cut,’ ” Harts said.
Quote:
“I’ll be honest with you: I wear my hair straight probably 99 percent of the time because, being in corporate America, I’ve seen how clients who have braids and natural hairstyles can be looked upon.”

You want a job? Change your name from Jamal to James or LaKeesha to Laura:

Quote:
"Every day, a black-name resume is 50 percent less likely to get responded to than a white-name resume," Ross said. "Right? That’s everyday racism."
Quote:
While white-sounding names spurred 50 percent more callbacks than the ones with black-sounding names, black-sounding names were 33 percent less likely to get responded to.
Quote:
"We find little evidence that our results are driven by employers inferring something other than race, such as social class, from the names," their paper states. "These results suggest that racial discrimination is still a prominent feature of the labor market."
Politifact rated this Mostly True.

Yeah, blacks aren't being told to be 'less black and more white'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2021, 01:28 AM   #98
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yeah, blacks aren't being told to be 'less black and more white'.

Stacy, your comment has nothing to do with Youngkin's victory, or why some may find CRT to be controversial at election time. You have not refuted my above statement in any way.
Old 16th November 2021, 04:34 PM   #99
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pardon me. I thought someone said something about being told to act less black for jobs.
And what the hell does less black mean anyway?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 04:35 PM   #100
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Stacy, your comment has nothing to do with Youngkin's victory, or why some may find CRT to be controversial at election time. You have not refuted my above statement in any way.
I think we have all guessed where this poster is coming from...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 04:36 PM   #101
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It means about as much as "less white". But, some people can't seem to grasp that, it seems. Instead they buy books to learn how to be "less white", and corporations pay for training materials that push the same ideas. As I say, many people equate this to CRT, and that is where you get the push back at election time.

Last edited by Warp12; 16th November 2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 17th November 2021, 08:36 AM   #102
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It means being treated poorly by racists.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics