ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th January 2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Clairvoyants AGT

It takes a lot to fool me having studied magic for 40 years but this is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdivjT4yfRo&t=419s

Obviously the reveal has to be a trick but even for it to be video editing I still dont know how in the tiem they had!
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:47 PM   #2
Cain
Straussian

I don't think it would take long at all to edit that video.

It's also a kicker ending that plays well but undermines the authenticity of the performance.
Old 23rd January 2019, 05:13 AM   #3
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I’m no magician by any stretch of the imagination but surely the judges have to be stooges?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Stooges not necessary at all. I can't say that I know how they did it all, but I can conceive of at least one way (or mix of ways) to do it. Probably overthinking it, though.
Old 26th January 2019, 06:25 AM   #5
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Stooges not necessary at all. I can't say that I know how they did it all, but I can conceive of at least one way (or mix of ways) to do it. Probably overthinking it, though.
Do tell, it's no longer verboten to reveal methodology herein.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Do tell, it's no longer verboten to reveal methodology herein.
This assumes no pre-show, which for the Howie reveal would simplify it a bit.

The video cuts during a key part of Simon's pick of the post card designating place indicating that the choice was not so free as implied. It could have been a force of one place but could also have been a force of one of just a few. It's trivial to learn which of the few. Communication of which one to the blindfolded woman is likely through code but could be electronics.

For the perfume, electronics, again, with fewer choices than it seemed.

For Howie, a different type of electronics.

For the video reveal, real-time editing of the few possible combinations of the video.

I could be entirely wrong, but I'm not just making stuff up. All those things are actual methods, though the real-time editing is a bit iffy, which is why if it were me, I'd probably go with the pre-show for Howie.
Old 26th January 2019, 11:23 AM   #7
bluesjnr

Thank you for taking the time. I'll watch it again with this in mind.
Old 26th January 2019, 12:57 PM   #8
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Just watched it again myself. I'm less sure of a force, even with multiple options, than I was.
Old 31st January 2019, 11:55 AM   #9
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Just watched it again myself. I'm less sure of a force, even with multiple options, than I was.
Aside from the big reveal I can only possibly explain Howie and Heidi,ruling out pre show.Simon's choice is tricky to figure out.
Old 31st January 2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Aside from the big reveal I can only possibly explain Howie and Heidi,ruling out pre show.Simon's choice is tricky to figure out.
Yeah. Still possible with electronics made for this sort of thing, but not with that many choices, so it would be ridiculously expensive and difficult and sensitive.
Old 8th February 2019, 03:17 PM   #11
Cain
Straussian

It's been however long I last posted since I watched the clip.

I do not believe any of the choices involved forces. I'm also going to assume there was no pre-show and no stooges. If these assumptions are true, then the video was edited during the performance, which means it's unlikely the performers were transmitting information to the editor. Instead information was transmitted from a home base to the performer and the editor. I'm going with a layperson explanation: cameras and microphones (which means the participants are allowed completely free choices).
Old 8th February 2019, 04:04 PM   #12
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
I just reviewed the video to confirm my recollections...

She had 1 small 'paint thing' in her hand. No anything anywhere near that could be more paint or paint devices. There was too much writing with too little paint/devices.

It was video editing. No doubt.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:38 AM   #13
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I just reviewed the video to confirm my recollections...

She had 1 small 'paint thing' in her hand. No anything anywhere near that could be more paint or paint devices. There was too much writing with too little paint/devices.

It was video editing. No doubt.
Very likely.Still done very quickly unless TV editing has missed some time out enough to do the deed.
Old 5th March 2019, 03:56 PM   #14
mgidm86
Philosopher

RFID chips in the postcard and perfume. Cheap and effective.

The board Howie wrote on is a type of tablet that transmits what he wrote.

The remote control was BS of course.

The video was definitely edited in real time, or moments before. A white roof would be an easy backdrop for some alpha blended characters to be added as in Photoshop.

I noticed also that all of the letter "A"s look pretty similar, as if written by someone, not painted in huge letters from ground level. Left line on the A is shorter than the other, and the cross line goes way past the line on the right. On all of them.

Also notice that the curved lines on the letters are very smooth and perfect. Ever try doing that with huge letters on a rooftop? Ever see a picket sign with large handpainted letters that are nice like that?

It is the letters themselves that give it away. They look too good, too straight. Looks exactly like Photoshop. It is.

Finally, notice that the person on the roof isn't painting one of the letters, it is a heart which is likely there in every scenario. It sells the illusion, or tries to.

What's up with the dude playing the piano. Is he the person transmitting the info?

That's my guess. That's how I'd do it and it would work.

Last edited by mgidm86; 5th March 2019 at 04:01 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner