ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th January 2019, 10:09 PM   #41
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

LG send to be a serial offender

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...ion-against-lg they won this case but lost the appeal.

I don't think I'll ever buy LG again.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 11:57 PM   #42
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Refer them to this.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...epresentations

Whatever the beef is with HN & LG it's not your problem. HN had to take the TV.
Thank you. I’ll have a good look at this.

To recap, LG is not disputing that the TV is not fit for use, they are saying that the TV was in a fit state when it left the factory. How they can say this with certainty is something I will challenge. They are also being careful not to accuse me of damaging it, they are simply saying it was not them. So I’m being put in the impossible position of proving exactly who damaged it.

I’m certain I will win this in VCAT if it gets that far, which I doubt.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 12:44 AM   #43
a_unique_person

Harvey Norman has to take it off you. Whether or not it was damaged in transit or during manufacture is not of any relevance to you, the consumer. You have the right to return it to the point of purchase.

Quote:
Products

You can claim a remedy from the retailer if the products do not meet any one or more of the consumer guarantees, with the exception of availability of spare parts and repair facilities.
The remedies you can seek from the retailer who sold you the product include a repair, replacement, or refund and in some cases compensation for damages and loss.
The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...mer-guarantees

Don't wait at all. March in and make as big a fuss as you have to. Print of that page. Make them read it. Video it.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 01:37 AM   #44
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I found this: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/0...uct-is-faulty/

So perhaps in addition to HN I would work the **** out of LG Australia. There seems to be too many middleman and not anyone who can say "yes".
Thanks, but I think I will concentrate my attention on HN. The people I spoke to in LG were at an overseas call centre, almost certainly in the Philippines. The “Manager” there refused to give his name, and he was actually getting angry with me. I think it will take a lot more time and effort to get satisfaction out of them.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 09:06 AM   #45
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Thank you. I’ll have a good look at this.

To recap, LG is not disputing that the TV is not fit for use, they are saying that the TV was in a fit state when it left the factory. How they can say this with certainty is something I will challenge. They are also being careful not to accuse me of damaging it, they are simply saying it was not them. So I’m being put in the impossible position of proving exactly who damaged it.

I’m certain I will win this in VCAT if it gets that far, which I doubt.
It surprises me that it has gotten even this far. Most of the big retailers I've dealt with in the USA (Costco, Target, etc.) will simply take back an item such as this as soon as the consumer returns with a complaint and will allow immediate replacement with the same item from an unopened box. Many will even allow exchange for cash or store credit instead of replacement. They both want to keep the customer happy and, because of the volume of products they sell, they have enough sway to force the manufacturer to take the back on that end. Or they are big enough to just eat the cost themselves.

I've even returned items to Costco or Target prepared with a lengthy explanation and the clerk has interrupted me, asked simply if I was not happy with the item for any reason, and then be told that was enough to be given a full credit
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 08:10 PM   #46
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That was A)incomprehensible; and B)awesome. Guy seems to be English and I think I heard a few English words but didn't understand any of it! Do you think he can fix my VIZIO from rebooting itself several times a day?
Icing on the cake: References to AvE in the comments!
There's your problem. He's Australian. THAT'S why you can't understand him! If you get tired of AvE's Bombast and you're looking for a nice calming Youtube to fall asleep by experience, you can't go wrong with the somnambulant tones of Mr Carlson's Lab*.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

*it would be perfect for falling asleep if he didn't start every sentence with "so" and exhaling too loudly into the microphone which is kind of irritating. He's more of an antique radio guy.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 08:34 PM   #47
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Just received a call from the Manager at Harvey Norman.

“Do you still have the TV packaging”
Me “Yes”
“Is the TV in it”
Me “No”
“That’s okay, we can pack it. I know you asked for a replacement in three working days, but it will take five. Is that okay”
Me “Yes”
“We will transport it, install it and take the other one away”
Me “Thank you”

So there we have it. If I didn’t push things and just accepted the “judgement” of these big businesses, that it. Broken TV. But stick up for yourself and be prepared to have your day in court, and success.

Ah, that feels good.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 14th January 2019, 08:43 PM   #48
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Me “Yes”
“Is the TV in it”
Me “No”
“That’s okay, we can pack it. I know you asked for a replacement in three working days, but it will take five. Is that okay”
Me “Yes”
Me “Thank you”

So there we have it. If I didn’t push things and just accepted the “judgement” of these big businesses, that it. Broken TV. But stick up for yourself and be prepared to have your day in court, and success.

Ah, that feels good.
Excellent!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 09:08 PM   #49
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Me “Yes”
“Is the TV in it”
Me “No”
Me “Yes”
Me “Thank you”

Ah, that feels good.

Outstanding.

Sometimes, you just have to stick you your guns.

They will soon work out that it not worth the fight for them.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 11:18 PM   #50
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I’d like to thank you guys (a_u_p in particular) for strengthening my resolve and providing suggestions, case law, links to consumer sites and so on. I’m not sure I would have persevered otherwise. The advice to go after the retailer rather than the manufacturer was very good.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 14th January 2019, 11:31 PM   #51
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Gerry Harvey likes satisfied customers.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 11:33 PM   #52
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Gerry Harvey likes satisfied customers.
Only if customers pester them. Don’t forget they sent me a definitive “no” before I played the trump card.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th January 2019, 01:50 AM   #53
a_unique_person

My son has a girlfriend who is a lawyer. He has looked into his consumer rights a few times in the past and has passed the information on to me.
Old 15th January 2019, 01:53 AM   #54
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
My son has a girlfriend who is a lawyer. He has looked into his consumer rights a few times in the past and has passed the information on to me.
Your son, that little kid, has a lawyer girlfriend .....

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th January 2019, 04:14 AM   #55
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Me “Yes”
“Is the TV in it”
Me “No”
Me “Yes”
Me “Thank you”

Ah, that feels good.

Well done!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 03:35 PM   #56
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A final postscript. The TV was delivered last Monday. They didn’t install it, but no big issue.

The same day I received a call from Harvey Norman:

“Do you have the box there?”

Me: “No”

“Well it was returned without the box”

Me: “Nothing to do with me. Your guys took it away”

“Did you pack it in the box”

Me (containing annoyance): “No”

“Well it’s back here without the box, do you still have it”

Me: Hangs up

HN just can’t help themselves. Customer service appalling.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 26th January 2019, 04:46 PM   #57
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

That whole moronic robot thing that some people do when on the phone drives me crazy. It's like using the telephone turns off the brain, or perhaps there just isn't enough brain power to actually hold a phone, speak and think at the same time.

I find myself wondering how many times they'd continue to ask you if you had the box, with you saying, no, I don't have the box, every time they asked.

Pet peeve:

Phone rings somewhere, for a long time...

I answer it: "Bob Smith's phone, myname speaking."

"Is Bob Smith there?"

"No, Bob Smith is not here, that's why he didn't answer his phone."

"I need to speak to Bob Smith."

"That's not going to happen, Bob Smith isn't here."

"I need to speak to Bob Smith."

"Would you like to leave a message for Bob Smith?"

"Uh, uh, uh, uh. Yes. Tell him that someone called, he doesn't know who I am."

"Telling him that someone called isn't leaving a message, is there any actual information that you would like conveyed to Bob Smith?"

"Tell him to call me back."

"You need to leave your name and number if you want him to call you back"

At this point I realise that I'm talking to a hang up tone.

Some of my team members have begged me to say things like: "Do you know that you're not intelligent enough to use a telephone?"

So, by comparison, your Hardly Normal person was an improvement...

Old 31st January 2019, 01:43 PM   #58
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Mostly just a lurker here but LG has a long history of manufacturing defective TVs. I got burned on two of them.

https://www.bigclassaction.com/lawsu...plasma-tvs.php
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 11:08 AM   #59
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We just bought an LG fridge. So far so good.
We've had a Vizio TV for quit a while, our first flat screen. Several times a day it just spontaneously reboots itself.
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:43 AM   #60
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Several times a day it just spontaneously reboots itself.
Oh? Is it running a version of Windows?

* novaphile dons an asbestos suit
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:24 AM   #61
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I have no doubt LG makes quality products. The replaced TV is magnificent. It’s their customer service which sucks

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:52 AM   #62
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Oh? Is it running a version of Windows?

* novaphile;12586804 dons an asbestos suit
Nope, no BSOD! Now that I think of it, I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Probably the latest one I saw was on an ATM at the bank.
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:01 PM   #63
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I was in a store yesterday that displayed many different large screen TVs for sale and I came to a long overdue realization. The pictures were incredible: bright, intense color, deep blacks, clean whites, high contrast. But they were not real. They were not authentic reproductions of the actual scenes at all but were highly and artificially enhanced derivatives. They looked like the result when a first timer uses Photoshop on a still image and turns the black point, gain, contrast, saturation, etc. sliders all the way up. Spectacular but cartoonish. Baseball fields glowed lurid green, with the sky above shining with the intensity of a blue neon light and the uniforms of the players standing out as if lit from within. Eye capturing, but not real. A moving Thomas Kinkade!

I am certain that the settings and the images displayed in the showroom are intentionally designed to create these types of images and that the intensity of the displays sell the TVs. I also am certain that one can tone this all down to a better approximation of reality once one gets the TV home. But I find it interesting that what sells, what makes people say "Hey, look at that wonderful picture" is closer to a cartoon than to authentic.

BTW: know of the soap opera effect?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...o-turn-it-off/

I first noticed it watching a movie at a friend's house: very weird. Difficult to explain in detail but the movie looked more like a recording of a play than sophisticated cinematography. It ruined the movie for me and I was happy to discover there are ways to avoid it.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:42 PM   #64
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I was in a store yesterday that displayed many different large screen TVs for sale and I came to a long overdue realization....

I brought to mind when I was in a high street electrical retailers a few years back and the salesman was pushing a really expensive 'monster' style HDMI cable to a couple by switching between two sources, one of which was connected up with said fancy cable, the other with a 'normal' HDMI cable.

Except that when I stuck my nose in and looked around the back, the second source was connected with really cheap composite cables. SD only.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:46 PM   #65
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

James Randi (remember him?) used to have quite a bee in his bonnet about purveyors of ridiculously expensive audio and video cables.
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:40 PM   #66
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

And rightly so.

Not that I have any arguments with good quality cables, it's just that 'good quality' =/= 'magic'

Old 2nd February 2019, 04:25 PM   #67
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I was in a store yesterday that displayed many different large screen TVs for sale and I came to a long overdue realization. The pictures were incredible: bright, intense color, deep blacks, clean whites, high contrast. But they were not real. They were not authentic reproductions of the actual scenes at all but were highly and artificially enhanced derivatives. They looked like the result when a first timer uses Photoshop on a still image and turns the black point, gain, contrast, saturation, etc. sliders all the way up. Spectacular but cartoonish. Baseball fields glowed lurid green, with the sky above shining with the intensity of a blue neon light and the uniforms of the players standing out as if lit from within. Eye capturing, but not real. A moving Thomas Kinkade!
Whenever I buy a new TV, I spend a long time, turning down all that garishness, and it is really worth the effort.

Typically I'll select a program with a lot of people, ideally showing a range of skin-tones, and keep turning everything down until all the people look normal.

On one occasion, I was trying to do this and kept failing, it was an American news-panel show, CNN perhaps, and I couldn't get it right. I selected a different program, and only turned back to the CNN program after I was happy that I'd got things right.

It turns out that one of the panelists was orange! I have no idea if it was her make-up, her sun-tan/skin colour, the studio lighting or some weird effect of the combination of these things. Everyone else on the panel (a quite wide range of skin tones from very white to very black and a couple of browns in the middle) looked normal.

I can see why technicians used to use a known-source and a colour test pattern.

Old 4th February 2019, 11:41 AM   #68
CORed
Philosopher

I have no doubt LG makes quality products. The replaced TV is magnificent. It’s their customer service which sucks
Well yes. That "It couldn't possibly be our fault because we're perfect" attitude needs to be taken out with the rest of the garbage.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 12:24 PM   #69
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Nope, no BSOD! Now that I think of it, I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Probably the latest one I saw was on an ATM at the bank.
What about the LG refrigerator? Is it running?
Old 4th February 2019, 12:29 PM   #70
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I am certain that the settings and the images displayed in the showroom are intentionally designed to create these types of images and that the intensity of the displays sell the TVs. I also am certain that one can tone this all down to a better approximation of reality once one gets the TV home. But I find it interesting that what sells, what makes people say "Hey, look at that wonderful picture" is closer to a cartoon than to authentic.

BTW: know of the soap opera effect?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...o-turn-it-off/

I first noticed it watching a movie at a friend's house: very weird. Difficult to explain in detail but the movie looked more like a recording of a play than sophisticated cinematography. It ruined the movie for me and I was happy to discover there are ways to avoid it.
Interesting. When I set up the new TV the first question I was asked was something like “is this for store display?”, which supports your point.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th February 2019, 05:35 PM   #71
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
What about the LG refrigerator? Is it running?
Love it!
Old 7th February 2019, 08:57 PM   #72
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I'm still happy that LG stands for "Lucky Goldstar" (as a result of two company mergers IIRC) but they don't like to use the full name in Australia.
Old 8th February 2019, 06:49 AM   #73
Dabop
Muse

There's a name I haven't seen for a long time...
I had a Goldstar VCR and a multimeter a long long time ago...
(in fact the Goldstar multimeter was the second one I owned)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 04:49 PM   #74
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
And rightly so.

Not that I have any arguments with good quality cables, it's just that 'good quality' =/= 'magic'
Still using my QED 79 Strand cables from my amp to my speakers, nearly 30 years old and still going strong.

By comparison, was slightly astonished when my Sennheiser PX100 headphones fell apart a few years back, how little copper was in the cable.
Old 9th February 2019, 01:18 AM   #75
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think you may have to take a little bit of blame for the *initial* responses. You were initially saying the TV was *damaged*, indeed you started this thread with the title "cracked screen", manufacturer warranty or store warranty is not going to cover the appliance for physical damage. I suspect if you had simply said "it's faulty, there are lines down the screen" right from the start you'd have had a different response.
Old 9th February 2019, 04:01 PM   #76
Dabop
Muse

If it was removed from the packaging like that (or even if it develops within a short time), then yes, in Australia you would be expecting that it would be replaced or repaired, free of charge

https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/c...faulty-product

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:19 PM   #77
This is The End

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
...manufacturer warranty or store warranty is not going to cover the appliance for physical damage.

In the US at least it doesn't matter if the damage is physical, as long as it came out of the box like that. Most stores give 30 to 45 days for returns but if you take more than a week or so to come back they do start to become suspicious.

Either way, in any country I would say it is a very good idea to videotape the unboxing of any expensive product.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet