ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Old 11th February 2019, 05:08 PM   #1001
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I am not sure where you get the idea that CWB is less reliable.
It came straight out of my brain, since I never heard of CWB before this day.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:09 PM   #1002
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
On the other hand, he could have placed the phone call to his manager and acted out a scenario over the phone, doing all the voices and sound effects himself, fooling the manager and adding an "ear-witness" for extra plausibility.
To tell you the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation.

- Longbaugh, The Way of the Gun
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:14 PM   #1003
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand, he could have placed the phone call to his manager and acted out a scenario over the phone, doing all the voices and sound effects himself, fooling the manager and adding an "ear-witness" for extra plausibility.
If that were the case, Smollett likely would not have forgotten to mention MAGA to the police at first.

I would guess the phone call was created later to add weight to the story, along with the remembrance of MAGA.

Assuming the whole thing is indeed a hoax, which looks like the best fit so far.

I wouldn't have left the scene, I'd have called 911 immediately, I wouldn't have untied and removed the noose, etc...those thoughts make me quite suspicious.

But it's always easy to claim what you would have done.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:17 PM   #1004
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand, we have this bottle found, and now we learn from several sources that the NY Post story finally prompted Smollett to turn over the phone records today.

So who knows?

Old 11th February 2019, 05:27 PM   #1005
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
If you smell bleach, you think bleach...I think.

You don't think, "Cleaning product containing a little bleach, don't worry".

You think BLEACH!

How long would it take you to call 911 if someone poured bleach on you on a Chicago street in the dead of night?

What's the connection between bleach and the police? This was already an attack. How does the presence of bleach escalate it to a special realm? If Smollett is one of the many people who don't trust police, I can't see why bleach should change that.

You also sound like someone who doesn't do much cleaning. Bleach is not a terrifying substance.

Quote:

Suppose it got in your eyes?

(Why didn't it?)
I imagine he'd know if it was in his eyes.
As for why it didn't it certainly depends on how and where it was poured, in what quantity etc. It certainly isn't an inevitability that all poured substances enter the eyes.

I'm not sure whether Smolletts story is correct, but the lions share of these supposed reasons for doubt are absurd.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:31 PM   #1006
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by ABC7 News
The hot sauce bottle was partially filled with a clear liquid that smelled like bleach, according to a New York Post story confirmed by Chicago police. The Post claimed they found it near the foot of a stairwell to the Loews.

However, CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said: "It's unclear if that is related to the incident as it was not discovered during any of the earlier canvasses but we took it for analysis. The FBI is providing CPD with technical assistance on this case at our request. I'm not sure if the bottle went to their lab or one of ours."

Monday afternoon, Smollett also submitted "limited and redacted phone records" from within an hour of the alleged incident, Chicago police confirmed.

"These records will be analyzed by detectives and we will be in contact with the victim should additional information be needed," Guglielmi said...
https://abc7chicago.com/bottle-with-...cords/5133055/
Old 11th February 2019, 05:31 PM   #1007
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

ABC Chicago.

Looks like the bottle was not there earlier, and the phone records may not help?

Quote:
The hot sauce bottle was partially filled with a clear liquid that smelled like bleach, according to a New York Post story confirmed by Chicago police. The Post claimed they found it near the foot of a stairwell to the Loews.

However, CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said: "It's unclear if that is related to the incident as it was not discovered during any of the earlier canvasses but we took it for analysis. The FBI is providing CPD with technical assistance on this case at our request. I'm not sure if the bottle went to their lab or one of ours."
Quote:
Monday afternoon, Smollett also submitted "limited and redacted phone records" from within an hour of the alleged incident, Chicago police confirmed.

"These records will be analyzed by detectives and we will be in contact with the victim should additional information be needed," Guglielmi said.

Old 11th February 2019, 05:35 PM   #1008
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
What's the connection between bleach and the police? This was already an attack. How does the presence of bleach escalate it to a special realm? If Smollett is one of the many people who don't trust police, I can't see why bleach should change that.

You also sound like someone who doesn't do much cleaning. Bleach is not a terrifying substance.

I imagine he'd know if it was in his eyes.
As for why it didn't it certainly depends on how and where it was poured, in what quantity etc. It certainly isn't an inevitability that all poured substances enter the eyes.

I'm not sure whether Smolletts story is correct, but the lions share of these supposed reasons for doubt are absurd.
He received a death threat letter that was basically a diagram of the attack...yet he doesn't call 911 when the attack occurs?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 11th February 2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11th February 2019, 05:39 PM   #1009
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I hope they didn't submit doctored phone records.

Old 11th February 2019, 06:11 PM   #1010
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I think I know how he did it!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:13 PM   #1011
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

we-e-ell, hot sauce is sorta like pepper spray.

Um, are the lower streets of Chicago gay pick up spots? Tryst gone sour?

Any use fo 'bleach', like as a cleanser, having to do with sex?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:18 PM   #1012
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

I am unfamiliar of the character of the neighborhood where the bottle was found.
I am under the impression, however, that bleach has been recommended for cleaning needles shared by I.V. drug users.
Old 11th February 2019, 06:35 PM   #1013
Cavemonster
Philosopher

He received a death threat letter that was basically a diagram of the attack...yet he doesn't call 911 when the attack occurs?
There's a moved goal post.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:21 PM   #1014
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

On the other hand, we have this bottle found, and now we learn from several sources that the NY Post story finally prompted Smollett to turn over the phone records today.

So who knows?
I'm having a hard time making sense out of various claims in this thread.

It's been less than a month since the alleged attack. Isn't it possible that this is the first time he had access to his records? I get my records once a month (sometimes they are available online earlier). Is it possible he just got the records?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:28 PM   #1015
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What do you think is the least absurd reason to doubt it?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:32 PM   #1016
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What do you think is the least absurd reason to doubt it?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but lack of supporting evidence that would likely be present.

Most everything else is grasping, and usually very speculative (not that the above is without speculation).
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:56 PM   #1017
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

There's a moved goal post.
At least something moved in this case.

Old 11th February 2019, 07:58 PM   #1018
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I'm having a hard time making sense out of various claims in this thread.

It's been less than a month since the alleged attack. Isn't it possible that this is the first time he had access to his records? I get my records once a month (sometimes they are available online earlier). Is it possible he just got the records?
A screen shot of the phone with the call record displayed could have been provided within moments...

It was not necessary to turn over the phone or call the provider. The phone has the records right there and the police only need the record of one call.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:03 PM   #1019
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The idea that the NY Post story prompted the phone record turn over was in a news article, I didn't think of it myself.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:14 PM   #1020
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

A screen shot of the phone with the call record displayed could have been provided within moments...

It was not necessary to turn over the phone or call the provider. The phone has the records right there and the police only need the record of one call.
But that doesn't square with reports I can find (links below). Everything I can find says the cops needed the phone "handed over" and that he would be without his phone for hours, and if the cops ask for something for hours who knows if that will be true. They also suggest the cops were fine with that and willing to wait for records instead.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...d-over-n965371

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...artial-n970386

https://pagesix.com/2019/02/11/jussi...-over-to-cops/

These reports, which claim to be sourced from police, are somewhat inconsistent but none of them suggest the cops would have been satisfied with a screenshot. And he has now turned over records. Don't know what to make of claims that he may be faking the records as suggested in this thread.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:35 PM   #1021
Thermal
Philosopher

Maybe they want to scroll through the texts to see if anyone suggested some great publicity stunts recently
Old 11th February 2019, 10:36 PM   #1022
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's coming down to:

Either

Jussie Smollett is an idiot,

Or

The attack happened as claimed.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:29 PM   #1023
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

But that doesn't square with reports I can find (links below). Everything I can find says the cops needed the phone "handed over" and that he would be without his phone for hours, and if the cops ask for something for hours who knows if that will be true. They also suggest the cops were fine with that and willing to wait for records instead.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...d-over-n965371

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...artial-n970386

https://pagesix.com/2019/02/11/jussi...-over-to-cops/

These reports, which claim to be sourced from police, are somewhat inconsistent but none of them suggest the cops would have been satisfied with a screenshot. And he has now turned over records. Don't know what to make of claims that he may be faking the records as suggested in this thread.
As an initial backup to the claim, not as courtroom proof.

"See, here's the call from my manager at 1:45am."

Submitting your own edited call record certainly wouldn't normally satisfy the cops about anything. Normally they'd call that useless.

If the police wanted my phone records, I doubt I could just edit them and submit them myself. I doubt they'd accept that as it has no chain of evidence/custody.

If they are serious, they just go around you and get your phone records with a warrant, directly from the service provider.

They will also know from cell tower data, roughly, if you were where you say you were.

Old 12th February 2019, 12:11 AM   #1024
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Then why did the police need his phone for hours?

Old 12th February 2019, 12:22 AM   #1025
Hungry81
Master Poster

it could have saved time. Serving a warrant, (or notice or order as applicable) on the phone comany takes time and effort, as opposed to him handing over the phone to check it when they first ask for it. Then from that they can decide whether they need to take it further. The self edited snapshot is next to useless.

A few hours of thorough checks vs days of delays. He may have had the right to do it the hard way, but it was a big risk. I think he was hoping the cops were incompetent or lazy or had more important things to do. A bit of a mistake on his part given how high profile this has become.

Last edited by Hungry81; 12th February 2019 at 12:26 AM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:25 AM   #1026
Mumbles
Philosopher

Definitely no reason to think that he's any sort of highly skilled voice actor, which is very different than being a singer or live-action actor. And that's putting aside any sound effects.

(Y'all should really stick with "He hurt himself as a cry for help, his manager's covering." which avoids all these extra goofball ideas at least.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:36 AM   #1027
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

They wouldn't need it for anywhere near an hour.
They would want the phone for evidence chain of custody for any court case.

How long could it take to copy the call data?

Many police forces also have Cellebrite type devices, so they rarely need a password, and they may even be able to extract data wirelessly without you even being aware.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 12th February 2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12th February 2019, 04:13 AM   #1028
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It's coming down to:

Either

Or

After all these posts, no progress then.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 04:17 AM   #1029
baron

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
After all these posts, no progress then.
And what does that tell you? Two weeks after an alleged assault on the streets of a big city peppered with CCTV cameras, investigated by a team of a dozen detectives, we have precisely zero evidence of it ever having occurred.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 06:56 AM   #1030
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Probably have reached an impasse.
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
it could have saved time.
"Hours" is a period time longer than "minutes". The question here is why didn't Jussie just show him his phone. All indications I can find from quotes from the police department are that he couldn't be without his phone for hours.

They wouldn't need it for anywhere near an hour.
Then why do they say "hours"???

They would want the phone for evidence chain of custody for any court case.
Then why do they say they needed it for hours? If this was their need they would have said "indefinitely", probably months. And I don't really see why they would need the phone. Wouldn't records obtained directly from his provider be what they really want?

Old 12th February 2019, 07:04 AM   #1031
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Chicago cops need more phone records from 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett regarding reported attack

Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
Chicago police on Monday confirmed that representatives for “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett had turned over phone records nearly two weeks after he reported being assaulted by two strangers near his Streeterville apartment.

But a spokesman for police Superintendent Eddie Johnson by late evening said that the records “are not sufficient and do not meet the burden of a criminal investigation,” and that police may require more assistance from the actor.

The New York Post’s “Page Six” column first reported that phone records for Smollett and his manager, whom he told authorities he was speaking with during the attack, were turned over to Johnson’s chief of staff on Monday.

Investigators had sought Smollett’s phone records since shortly after he reported the attack Jan. 29 in the 300 block of East North Water Street.

But police described Smollett’s phone records as a heavily redacted document file and his manager’s records as a screenshot of phone calls that provide limited information to investigators. Chief police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said police were “appreciative” of Smollett’s cooperation in providing the records but said detectives will likely need additional data from Smollett to crack the case...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...211-story.html
Old 12th February 2019, 07:08 AM   #1032
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

William Parcher just posted a story (similar to other posted already) where the Police indicate that a screenshot is not sufficient.

Old 12th February 2019, 07:35 AM   #1033
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

William Parcher just posted a story (similar to other posted already) where the Police indicate that a screenshot is not sufficient.
The truth may be that the particular screenshot provided by the manager is not sufficient, but that a different screenshot might be sufficient.
Old 12th February 2019, 07:41 AM   #1034
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Crikey!

The look at the screen would only have been to satisfy the cops when they arrived. That way the cops could report that Smollett was indeed on the phone at the time of the attack. They wouldn't have to say that Smollett wasn't cooperating.

Showing the cops the phone screen when they arrived would be just to show them that you didn't make up the story.

Why is that so hard to understand?

I already said it wouldn't be good enough in a case, several times.

Smollett just needs to either let them have the phone for a few minutes to download the data, or sign a release to the service provider for the official records.

Smollett claiming it would take hours doesn't mean much.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 12th February 2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12th February 2019, 07:45 AM   #1035
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Showing a screen shot 2 weeks later makes no sense at all.

The screen shot should have been shown when the cops first arrived.

Old 12th February 2019, 07:45 AM   #1036
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

Yes, it gets the gerbil extra-excited.

It's coming down to:

Either

Or

I can't tell if you're kidding, trying to illustrate a false dilemma, or what.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 07:55 AM   #1037
Thermal
Philosopher

That's true. I actually did that once to make a point. Changing the phone's date and time, contact numbers and names, you can literally recreate any conversation in a screenshot. It wouldn't survive cursory scrutiny of a physical examination, though.

Strong feeling there is stuff on that phone Smolett does not want the 5-0 to read, whether related to the case or otherwise. Texts are my guess.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:04 AM   #1038
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

The screen shot is from the manager's phone and as far as I know the police have never "arrived" there.

ETA: Sigh. I'm not sure about this now. Can't find a reliable report of where his manager was in relation to the condo. I found one report that said he was taken to the hospital by his manager. Earlier in this thread there were reports he'd gone to the hospital on his own but I can't find a source for that.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 12th February 2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:28 AM   #1039
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Strong feeling there is stuff on that phone Smolett does not want the 5-0 to read, whether related to the case or otherwise. Texts are my guess.
Strong feeling the cops already know who Jussie was on the phone with at the time of the alleged attack, if he was on the phone at all.

This is really turning out like a bad 70’s sitcom where all the fibs and merry mixups finally overwhelm our hero and he’s left standing in the restaurant with colander of linguine dumped on his head and his hot roommates stomp out.

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 08:28 AM   #1040
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Strong feeling the cops already know who Jussie was on the phone with at the time of the alleged attack, if he was on the phone at all.

This is really turning out like a bad 70’s sitcom where all the fibs and merry mixups finally overwhelm our hero and he’s left standing in the restaurant with colander of linguine dumped on his head and his hot roommates stomp out.
Wasn't that an episode of Three's Company?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events