ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:33 PM   #1
RolandRat
Thinker

Ukraine

I've seen some reports the Russian military is building up near the Ukraine border. The same reports suggest its a prelude to an invasion which has been encouraged by Trumps foreign policy.

How likely is this? Will Russia actually mount a full scale invasion of Ukraine?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 10:03 PM   #2
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

http://acloserlookonsyria.shoutwiki....e_news/Current
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 10:08 PM   #3
Baylor
Philosopher

Putin just wants to culturally enrich the country. I don't know why you racists are so afraid of a little diversity.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:51 PM   #4
RolandRat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post

Is that an agreement then? That Russia is going to invade Ukraine?

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Putin just wants to culturally enrich the country. I don't know why you racists are so afraid of a little diversity.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It sounds sarcastic but im not sure what the sarcasm is aimed at
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 04:49 PM   #5
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Is that an agreement then? That Russia is going to invade Ukraine?

So you didn't read any of it. The link was meant to provide you with some context you please dissect yourself if you're truly interested in answers to your question.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:09 PM   #6
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It sounds sarcastic but im not sure what the sarcasm is aimed at
Diversity is only good when it benefits the people preaching it.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:21 PM   #7
kayle
Critical Thinker

I don't think even the Tzar himself knows
kayle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Happy New Year greetings to all of us from Donbass:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 31st December 2018, 09:39 PM   #9
RolandRat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
So you didn't read any of it. The link was meant to provide you with some context you please dissect yourself if you're truly interested in answers to your question.

I did read it. It seems to insinuate that Ukraine and Russia are at each others throats. If I'm missing something, please educate me.
Old 31st December 2018, 09:40 PM   #10
RolandRat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Diversity is only good when it benefits the people preaching it.
Um ok, how is this relevant?
Old 31st December 2018, 10:16 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Russia considers the Ukraine a part of the Motherland, so an invasion can never be an aggression, only the motherly care for a child that has lost its way.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 12:37 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Russia considers the Ukraine a part of the Motherland, so an invasion can never be an aggression, only the motherly care for a child that has lost its way.
Yes, the "no more wire hangers" school of motherhood.
Old 5th January 2019, 06:50 AM   #13
mattobrien85
New Blood

The war in donbass has caused 10k ukranian casualties. However, the US can do nothing about it.
mattobrien85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 10:57 AM   #14
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by mattobrien85 View Post
The war in donbass has caused 10k ukranian casualties. However, the US can do nothing about it.
...at least not as long as the White House is occupied by Putin's bitch.
Old 5th January 2019, 01:00 PM   #15
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
...at least not as long as the White House is occupied by Putin's bitch.
Or by somebody who who thinks war with Russia would be a very big problem in need of a very big justification.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 04:49 PM   #16
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mattobrien85 View Post
Why would it? Is it the policeman of the world?
Old 8th January 2019, 02:59 AM   #17
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Why would it? Is it the policeman of the world?
There are self-interest motives.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 05:04 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
And I am sure the same applies to the Baltic States, Finland, Poland, etc.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 05:05 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Or by somebody who who thinks war with Russia would be a very big problem in need of a very big justification.
Oh, there are things we could do not involving military action, to hurt Russia badly economically.
I also know that appeasing a bully never works very well either.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 05:06 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Yes, the "no more wire hangers" school of motherhood.
Holy Mother Russia,is a Mother allright..just asks the Poles and the Finns.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th February 2019, 03:13 AM   #21
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

The trouble is Nazis are raising their ugly heads in Ukraine again. There is a bit about this in a Wikipedia about the second world war Russian general Vatutin, who was killed during the war by Ukrainian 'insurgents' fighting for Germany:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Vatutin

Quote:
Legacy[edit]

His influence on the Red Army strategic planning, operational, and tactical techniques continued even after his death. Following the post-Cold War decline in Germanocentric analyses of the Eastern Front, Vatutin has won recognition among Western military experts as one of World War II's most creative commanders.[citation needed]

In 2015, Vatutin's daughter announced that her father had been buried in Kiev by Khrushchev against her family's wishes, and that his surviving family (who live either in Russia or in the Czech Republic) will attempt to obtain permission to rebury him in Moscow. The primary reason was stated to be their dislike for the new Ukrainian government's association with Stepan Bandera, whose followers had killed Vatutin. Originally, a press release from the Just Russia party had falsely claimed that the initiative to move his body had come from the Kiev authorities.[7][8] The reburial didn't materialise and Vatutin remains buried in front of his statue near the Ukrainian parliament.[9]

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 18th February 2019 at 03:16 AM.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics