ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump cabinet , Trump controversies

Old 2nd December 2016, 05:19 AM   #81
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It really does sound like a character from Dr Strangelove
You say that like maintaining the purity of one's bodily fluids is a bad thing!
Old 2nd December 2016, 05:21 AM   #82
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
However, not showing them is not a scandal because she doesn't have to. It's a private matter.
Cannot the same be said for tax returns?

Reminder: I'm on record as saying Trump should have released his, and not releasing them could be a reason not to vote for him.
Old 2nd December 2016, 05:36 AM   #83
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Cannot the same be said for tax returns?
Yes, it's exactly the same: it's suspicious if he doesn't provide them, but he's under no obligation to do it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:29 AM   #84
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Yes, it's exactly the same: it's suspicious if he doesn't provide them, but he's under no obligation to do it.
Agreed!
Old 2nd December 2016, 07:58 AM   #85
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"We are going to appoint 'Mad Dog' Mattis as our secretary of defence. They say he's the closest thing to General George Patton that we have."

The Republican-controlled Congress will need to approve legislation bypassing the requirement so he can take up the role.

But at least one Democratic senator, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, says she will not approve a waiver.

"Civilian control of our military is a fundamental principle of American democracy," Ms Gillibrand said in a statement, "and I will not vote for an exception to this rule."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38178625
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:06 AM   #86
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
"Civilian control of our military is a fundamental principle of American democracy," Ms Gillibrand said in a statement, "and I will not vote for an exception to this rule."
To be fair, with Trump as Commander in Chief the military would still be under "civilian control", at least in theory.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:32 AM   #87
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He seems taken with the ' Mad Dog' name, I wonder if that's one of the reasons for picking him? He probably thinks the Secretary of Defence should look like this.

His policy being "If it bleeds, we can kill it"

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 2nd December 2016 at 09:36 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:42 AM   #88
Belz...
Fiend God

The Wiki page on him doesn't make him look too bad. What are his skeletons?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:45 AM   #89
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

"We are going to appoint 'Mad Dog' Mattis as our secretary of defence. They say he's the closest thing to General George Patton that we have."
Looks like Trump and Mattis will get along just fine...

From: http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/02/tech...rump-theranos/
After retiring in 2013, Mattis became a board director at Theranos, a company founded in 2003... The blood-testing startup was billed as a classic industry disruptor -- offering a cheaper, more efficient alternative to traditional medical tests.
Holmes (The company founder) reportedly reached out to Mattis in 2012, after a military official flagged Theranos' technology to the FDA. She wanted Mattis to use his authority to dispel any concerns. Mattis forwarded the emails internally, indicating a sense of urgency in moving forward with the technology, but it never took off.
In the past year, Theranos has voided two years of blood tests, faced federal probes, pivoted away from blood testing -- and Holmes has been banned from owning or operating a lab for two years. Most recently, it's been sued by investors and Walgreens, once its biggest partner.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:52 AM   #90
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

- Once made a comment around 2005 about it "being fun to shoot people"
- Had charges dismissed against several soldiers accused to shooting unarmed civilians
- Ties to a shady tech company Theranos (may have pushed for its unproven technology to be used while a General, now sits on its board of directors)

http://fortune.com/2016/12/01/donald...y-gen-matthis/

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:22 AM   #91
Jrrarglblarg

None known. He's considered a squared away professional soldier who cares about the troops in his command.

I have mixed feelings about him exclusively due to the time out of service waiver. The ten years normally required ensures that the chain of command a former service person was part of will have changed enough that the service person will be unlikely to have undue influence on or from uniformed personnel, among other things.

In this case surrounding Trump with adults may outweigh that consideration.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:46 AM   #92
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Quote:
None known.
Ummm.. hello? Do you have me on ignore?

I've already posted one significant skeleton... his ties to a shady tech company that he championed while a general, and now sits on their board of directors. Some people may consider that suspicious... doubly so when the company in question is being sued.

Then there are also his comments about it being "fun to shoot people". Or his dismissal of charges against soldiers involved in killing unarmed Iraqis.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:00 AM   #93
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Ummm.. hello? Do you have me on ignore?

I've already posted one significant skeleton... his ties to a shady tech company that he championed while a general, and now sits on their board of directors. Some people may consider that suspicious... doubly so when the company in question is being sued.

Then there are also his comments about it being "fun to shoot people". Or his dismissal of charges against soldiers involved in killing unarmed Iraqis.
I haven't looked into the tech company issue but if you want a SECDEF who doesn't think it fun to shoot people don't nominate a United States Marine. The basic military mission of Marines is "Get off the boat, go over there, kill people and break things until we tell you to stop. The sooner you get done the sooner Seabees can get a chow tent and showers set up, so don't **** around."

The job of the Marine Corp is tactical, not strategic. Despite this, Marine leadership is often very savvy about strategic thinking. The Marines are treated like the Navy's red headed stepchild, so they get used to doing more with less and not being as dependent on deep resource chains and help from other branches, while easily getting involved with joint operations because they're already in a joint op with the Navy just standing around. It's a culture, a mindset.

The Army's overall strategic mission, surprisingly, is to end conflict. Seriously. The Army's job is to take land and pacify the occupants. The army runs the guardposts, checkpoints and prisons that keep the peace once the combatants have been taken down. See how that failed in Iraq?

I'll look into his corporate ties.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 2nd December 2016 at 11:01 AM.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:00 AM   #94
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Then there are also his comments about it being "fun to shoot people".
Now, now. He only likes shooting people who have lost their manhood.

Old 2nd December 2016, 01:52 PM   #95
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't looked into the tech company issue but if you want a SECDEF who doesn't think it fun to shoot people don't nominate a United States Marine. The basic military mission of Marines is "Get off the boat, go over there, kill people and break things until we tell you to stop. The sooner you get done the sooner Seabees can get a chow tent and showers set up, so don't **** around."
Ok, lets assume what you said is complete correct. (I do recognize that Marines fill a different role than other branches of the military, although I don't really know how many really think killing is "fun", and not just a necessary evil.)

In the worst case, they have appointed a secretary of defense who is more interested in breaking things than putting them back together. Given the various conflicts that the U.S. has been in lately, that might not be a good thing (since that type of attitude may cause the U.S. to be involved in new conflicts with little regard to stabilizing things after.)

In the best case (i.e. he turns out to be competent, using force when warranted but not going overboard), its still really bad optics. Trump and the U.S. are going to be under a microscope. (Between Trump's talk of allowing torture and killing families of terrorists, and past history of the U.S. causing upheaval in places like the middle east.) The U.S government will have to work with various countries throughout the world. A secretary of defense who is on record as saying "fun to kill people" sends the wrong message.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 2nd December 2016, 02:17 PM   #96
Jrrarglblarg

Or maybe it sends the right message, meaning, the message he wants to send. The world and the American people should consider every one of these appointments "fair warning."
Old 2nd December 2016, 02:56 PM   #97
Tero
Graduate Poster

He is draining the swamp right into his cabinet. As expected.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:23 PM   #98
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator

Mod WarningFolks, keep it on topic or your posts will join these unfortunate souls: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=314566
Posted By:Locknar

Last edited by Locknar; 2nd December 2016 at 07:54 PM.
Locknar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:31 PM   #99
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Locknar View Post
Mod WarningFolks, keep it on topic else your posts will join these unfortunate souls: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=314566
Posted By:Locknar
Mine had on-topic content. Just sayin'.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:28 AM   #100
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Carson has got Secretary of Housing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38209969

As a prominent neurosurgeon, what are his qualifications to fill the role ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 07:29 AM   #101
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

None. It would be nice if the Orange Menace would have a press conference to explain his picks.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 07:34 AM   #102
Jrrarglblarg

"Probably can't **** it up."
Old 5th December 2016, 07:34 AM   #103
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
None. It would be nice if the Orange Menace would have a press conference to explain his picks.
Wan't he the one complaining that Hillary didn't do enough press conferences ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 07:36 AM   #104
NoahFence
Banned

This is the post that he said a few weeks ago that he was unqualified for, yes?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 07:37 AM   #105
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Wan't he the one complaining that Hillary didn't do enough press conferences ?
Yup. He hasn't done one since July 27.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 07:38 AM   #106
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
This is the post that he said a few weeks ago that he was unqualified for, yes?
He was being floated for Health and Human Services at the time but said he was unqualified to be in government.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:48 AM   #107
NoahFence
Banned

All this before Trump takes office.
At this rate even the white supremacists will hate him before long.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 08:02 AM   #108
Belz...
Fiend God

He's black.

Old 5th December 2016, 08:06 AM   #109
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Donald Trump names Gen James Mattis as defence secretary

Mr Trump has previously described Gen Mattis, 66, as "a true general's general".

Gen Mattis, who is known as "Mad Dog", was an outspoken critic of the Obama administration's Middle East policy, particularly on Iran.

He has referred to Iran as "the single most enduring threat to stability and peace in the Middle East".

Yea, we are so going to nuke Iran.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 08:08 AM   #110
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
All this before Trump takes office.
"Give him a chance" doesn't seem to be working.

Old 5th December 2016, 08:09 AM   #111
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The Republican-controlled Congress will need to approve legislation bypassing the requirement so he can take up the role.

But at least one Democratic senator, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, says she will not approve a waiver.

Well he does have a history of leaving people from the wrong service to die.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/military...eft-my-n691211

Just like Patton would have done.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 09:29 AM   #112
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I'm assuming that this is in response to the appointing of Mattis to Trump's cabinet...

Or maybe it sends the right message, meaning, the message he wants to send. The world and the American people should consider every one of these appointments "fair warning."
I do think there's a difference between appointing someone who favor's "Tough talk" to someone who's been quoted expressing views more in line with those of a psychopath. (i.e. "fun to shoot people".)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 5th December 2016, 09:32 AM   #113
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He got the Chokes.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 5th December 2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:01 AM   #114
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He was being floated for Health and Human Services at the time but said he was unqualified to be in government.
So the neurosurgeon doesn't consider himself qualified for Health and Human Services, but he is qualified for Housing and Urban Development? I am genuinely interested in the logic that led him to that conclusion.

That's not meant to be snark, I really would like to know.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:18 AM   #115
NoahFence
Banned

I dunno, but the circus that awaits us in the form of these Confirmation Hearings is going to be epic.

Democrats can't really do anything other than mock and ridicule and embarrass Trump and his appointments, so here's to hoping they do it right.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:24 AM   #116
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
So the neurosurgeon doesn't consider himself qualified for Health and Human Services, but he is qualified for Housing and Urban Development? I am genuinely interested in the logic that led him to that conclusion.

The reason is that HHS will be at the vanguard of repealing and replacing Obamacare. That's tricky work and needs somebody in charge who understands Obamacare really well. Trump picked that guy.

HUD, on the other hand, just needs to stop doing what the Obama administration started having it do, which was this. As Argumemnon correctly noted (although probably accidentally), the fact that Carson is black probably made him better suited to the job as it helps to insulate the department from accusations of racism.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 10:30 AM   #117
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post

His reasoning was sound for declining.

Quote:
"Dr. Carson was never offered a specific position, but everything was open to him," Williams told The Hill. "Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience; he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."
Which makes his decision to accept now very confusing. It really shows you how much the Orange Menace cares about African American communities that he's nominating Jeff Sessions for DOJ and Carson for HUD. The idea behind these picks seems to be to hamstring efforts toward reducing racial inequality.

ETA: As Sunmaster points out, nominating someone this profoundly unqualified is tokenism of the highest order. The only purpose seems to be to use Dr. Carson's race a shield since he shouldn't be there at all.

Last edited by Stacko; 5th December 2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:41 AM   #118
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi Calls Ben Carson ‘Disturbingly Unqualified’

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi is calling the decision to tap Ben Carson as head of Housing and Urban Development a “disconcerting and disturbingly unqualified choice.”

Pelosi says the country deserves someone with “relevant experience” to protect the rights of homeowners and renters.

In her statement released Monday, she says “there is no evidence that Dr. Carson brings the necessary credentials to hold a position with such immense responsibilities and impact on families and communities across America.”

Read more:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/the-la...y-unqualified/ (December 5, 2016)

Well there it is, proof positive that Nancy Pelosi is a racist -- and probably a KKK member too.

"Disconcerting and disturbing" indeed, that the Democrats have chosen a white-supremacist as their minority leader. Very sad!
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 11:11 AM   #119
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Well there it is, proof positive that Nancy Pelosi is a racist -- and probably a KKK member too.

"Disconcerting and disturbing" indeed, that the Democrats have chosen a white-supremacist as their minority leader. Very sad!
And did Sunmaster just agree with her in this thread?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 11:13 AM   #120
Distracted1
Illuminator

He's black.
But has he ever organized any horse shows?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics