ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th October 2018, 07:02 AM   #201
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You might actually be the first person I've seen who ranks George W. Bush "lower" than Trump.

I mean it's totally within your right to do so, it's just interesting.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 07:08 AM   #202
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You might actually be the first person I've seen who ranks George W. Bush "lower" than Trump.

Until Trump gets close to Dubya's death toll, he will only be the second worst.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 07:08 AM   #203
Chanakya

In general, no. Trump's in a class by himself. No one can touch him.

But in terms of one single instance of extreme douchebaggery-cum-idiocy-cum-general-injustice, you're right, I do think that.

Although given Trump, he may not take long to cross that bar!

Last edited by Chanakya; 17th October 2018 at 07:10 AM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 07:19 AM   #204
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Oh, absolutely. But still.

Like laughing at W, except on steroids, as far as the laughs are concerned. That was 'at' too, W I mean.

The one time I was furious, and unable to laugh, not even 'at' -- in W's case I mean -- was when they killed Saddam. Not that Saddam didn't deserve what he got, he did: but still, I believe W deserved the chair, or at least a room with nice iron bars, for that mess.

Trump hasn't scaled those levels yet, and I guess I find him funny. Yeah, 'at', mostly.
You do realize the Iraqi's killed Saddam, not us?
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 07:20 AM   #205
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Exactly. Trump is a terrible human being, and I'd rather have a nice conversation with George W. Bush than him, but he hasn't sent thousands to their deaths yet.

Yet.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 07:56 AM   #206
Drewbot
Philosopher

How do you measure media bias?
Is calling Trump a liar a sign of bias or just an accurate description of the facts?
Is calling any politician a liar a sign of bias? or just an accurate description of the facts?

What kind of lies are OK?

Is lying about the state of ISIS a bad lie? Or is it OK because it reduces their recruitment ability?

If you want to list the 'Bad' lies Trump has told, we can look at them. They might be OK lies from another point of view.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:05 AM   #207
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Is calling any politician a liar a sign of bias? or just an accurate description of the facts?

Is lying about the state of ISIS a bad lie? Or is it OK because it reduces their recruitment ability?

If you want to list the 'Bad' lies Trump has told, we can look at them. They might be OK lies from another point of view.
No President before Trump was so driven to stay in the News 24/7. And most of what Trump says is wrong, naive, vicious and/or nonsensical.
So unless the media started boycotting the President, there is no way not to report more bad than good about Trump.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:10 AM   #208
citizenzen
Graduate Poster

I don't think a body count alone is the best indicator of damage done to this nation and the world.

I would take W over trump in a heartbeat.
citizenzen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:13 AM   #209
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I don't think a body count alone is the best indicator of damage done to this nation and the world.

I would take W over trump in a heartbeat.

If nothing else, Trump has given W what even the Presidency couldn't.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:51 AM   #210
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Maybe they're just much better at lying!
I don't agree that's the reason. But yes others are better at lying. You would think that as much as the Donald lies he would be better at it.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:53 AM   #211
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
If nothing else, Trump has given W what even the Presidency couldn't.
Yes. I used to say I'd take anyone over W.

Damn it, they took me up on it.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:54 AM   #212
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Trump is only hated by the hard core radical left-wing Dimms. Everyone else thinks he's great. He's an awesome President -- the best since Ronald Reagan.

Trump 2020 landslide!
The trump mob mindlessly chanting, "lock her up".

More best people? https://imgflip.com/i/2hdrx1
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:55 AM   #213
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Even if you could somehow defend every lie Trump has told, either as harmless by itself or useful in some sense, the shear volume of lies is doing incredible harm to the respect and trust that the presidency used to enjoy.

Sure, we all know presidents lie and we should always take what they say with a grain of salt, but we used to at least believe the president more often than not and rightly so.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 09:07 AM   #214
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

There are 5000 lies so far, so going through the lidt would be time-consuming.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.6a8cb2c83eed
Old 17th October 2018, 09:11 AM   #215
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't agree that's the reason. But yes others are better at lying. You would think that as much as the Donald lies he would be better at it.
It was just a jab at Trump supporter's ridiculous argument back in 2016 that yes, Trump lies, but at least his lies are in the open while Clinton's are hidden. As if the fact that he's a terrible liar is a virtue, somehow.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 09:12 AM   #216
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
The trump mob mindlessly chanting, "lock her up".

More best people? https://imgflip.com/i/2hdrx1
The sad thing is, Clinton was right with her "basket of deplorables" comment.

Old 17th October 2018, 09:52 AM   #217
Lurch
Muse

Trump would be the greatest Wrestling Heel of all time. He's already in the WWE Hall of Fame and has a Wrestlemania appearance. He's far more qualified to do that then be the President.

He shouldn't have been elected President. He should have been made General Manager of RAW.

Tell me you wouldn't watch that.
Right from the first, I saw that his rallies and his performance were the stuff of pro wrestling events. And I'd bet there's a good correlation between his attendees and watchers of wrestling.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 09:59 AM   #218
Lurch
Muse

Come on, you're saying he's never made you laugh?
He made me laugh, truly. Once. When he mooted how awful he'd be if he drank beer. That was recently, on a WH lawn presser during the Kavanaugh kerfuffle. It was a totally unscripted line that came across as unaffected, self-deprecating humor. It actually made me like him a little bit, for an instant.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 10:27 AM   #219
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by River View Post
Not everyone here hates Trump with the passion that this forum seems to embrace. (very left leaning here, i would post some poll results but the mods are overzealous) Even with an extremely biased media Trump is doing good things.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-appro...higher-1054927
Given the quality of each of their presidencies, that shows just how racist this country still is.
Old 17th October 2018, 10:40 AM   #220
citizenzen
Graduate Poster

"'W' is the worst president of all time!!!"

Republicans: "Hold my beer."
citizenzen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 10:55 AM   #221
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Here are a couple examples of recent lies told by Trump:
Quote:
TRUMP: "Median household income has reached an all-time high. ...It means you're making more money than you've ever made before." — Kentucky rally Saturday.

THE FACTS: Trump is claiming credit for trends in place before he took office. The Census Bureau has cast doubt on his assertion.

Median U.S. household income — the level at which half of the U.S. population earns more and half less — grew 5.1 percent in 2015 and 3.1 percent in 2016, during the Obama administration. It was the fastest two-year growth on record, dating to 1967. In 2017, Trump's first year in office, median income grew at a slower pace of 1.8 percent to reach $61,372 after adjusting for inflation.

The Census Bureau said in a report last month that after adjusting for changes in its methodology in 2013, last year's figure did not reach a new high. Instead, it was statistically no better than the 2007 level of $61,421 and 1999's level of $61,966.
(Microsoft News)

Quote:
TRUMP: "As a candidate, I promised that we would protect coverage for patients with pre-existing conditions and create new health care insurance options that would lower premiums. I have kept that promise." — op-ed column published Wednesday in USA Today.

TRUMP: "If you listen to my speeches, pre-existing conditions, I'm saying it's being covered 100 percent and Republicans are doing that." — Fox interview broadcast Wednesday.

THE FACTS: It's a stretch for Trump to claim he is protecting health coverage for patients with pre-existing medical conditions, or that Republicans are "doing that." His Justice Department is arguing in court that those protections in the Obama-era health law should fall. And the short-term health plans Trump often promotes as a bargain alternative offer no guarantee of covering pre-existing conditions.

Government lawyers said in legal filings in June that they will no longer defend key parts of the Affordable Care Act, including provisions that guarantee access to health insurance regardless of any medical conditions. Attorney General Jeff Sessions wrote in a letter to Congress that Trump approved the legal strategy.

The Trump administration said it won't defend the provision shielding people with medical conditions from being denied coverage or charged higher premiums.
(Microsoft News)

There are so many more lies that he tells that it takes a staff dedicated to just his lies to keep up with them. And the OP wonders why so many people detest Trump?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 11:04 AM   #222
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Kavanaugh [backing up 18-wheeler]: "Someone say my name?"
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 11:08 AM   #223
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AOK Tiger View Post
My own son challenged to substantiate any of these beliefs and I struggled to find ANYTHING real that backed up what I thought (except for the hair).
I realised I was “suckered” into hating him by media bias! (I couldn’t even work out why they hated him so much?)
This alone makes me disbelieve you. Assuming you're not trolling, you need better research skills as there is a mountain of evidence for what a horrible person he is.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 11:23 AM   #224
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
He made me laugh, truly. Once. When he mooted how awful he'd be if he drank beer.

At least someone who posts drunken rants at 3am might be sober the next day.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 12:44 PM   #225
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Old 17th October 2018, 12:49 PM   #226
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
At least someone who posts drunken rants at 3am might be sober the next day.
"Mr. Prime Minster you are drunk!"
"Yes Mr President and you are incompetent, childish, sexist, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, and functionally insane. Tomorrow I will be sober."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 12:57 PM   #227
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Obama: "Those jobs of the past are just not going to come back."

Trump: "Hold my diet coke."
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 01:10 PM   #228
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by River View Post
Waiting for screeching from the leftist mob.
Emote much?

The last sentence of the quoted article is interesting:

Quote:
But it has been a strikingly durable and steady expansion, which is what the nation needed after the scars of the 2008 recession. And that’s just plain “good.
Old 17th October 2018, 01:24 PM   #229
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Right from the first, I saw that his rallies and his performance were the stuff of pro wrestling events. And I'd bet there's a good correlation between his attendees and watchers of wrestling.
I'd guess that a large percentage of Trump supporters both watch pro wrestling and believe that it's totally real.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 01:45 PM   #230
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Rethink your Trump hatred ?
I don't have to rethink it. Every day it is rekindled with the fire of a thousand suns.
Old 17th October 2018, 01:46 PM   #231
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I'd guess that a large percentage of Trump supporters both watch pro wrestling and believe that it's totally real.

I'd guess that you didn't check the statistics on pro wrestling viewership before making that uninformed and erroneous comment.

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 17th October 2018 at 01:50 PM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 02:24 PM   #232
Minoosh
Philosopher

If you are going to accuse me of "cheering for people to die," let's see the evidence. Post the quote.
As far as I can tell that wasn't you; you just said she's old and that Trump would be naming a replacement soon.

Another poster said they had her in their death pool, and a third poster said something similar.

I found out you can't search for RBG, the forum says it's too common or too short. So it took me a bit.

ETA: I mean, it's not the word "the." It is short but it's also uncommon, and given how often people use initials and acronyms that seems like a bug in the search function.

ETA2: I was able to search for FBI, so can't figure out the algorithm.

Last edited by Minoosh; 17th October 2018 at 02:37 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 02:34 PM   #233
Minoosh
Philosopher

I don't think Bush is a worse human being than Trump, but he did get us into a totally effed-up position by heeding his neocon advisers and invading Iraq. Fifteen years later those repercussions are still with us. It was a disaster. I can't think of anything Trump's done that worse than that.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 02:46 PM   #234
Minoosh
Philosopher

I'd guess that you didn't check the statistics on pro wrestling viewership before making that uninformed and erroneous comment.
Um ... I think it's the "believe it's real" part that is supposed to be so telling, not mere viewership.

But here I am posting on behalf of other people again.
Old 17th October 2018, 02:52 PM   #235
Minoosh
Philosopher

I remember feeling that way too. Thought experiment: If at this point we'll take anyone over Trump, could we be ruing that statement 10 years from now?
Old 17th October 2018, 02:52 PM   #236
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
As far as I can tell that wasn't you; you just said she's old and that Trump would be naming a replacement soon.

Here is the actual quote:

Quote:
Clinton appointee Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who just turned 85, should be retiring very soon -- one less libtard on the Supreme Court will be a most welcome change.

-- Slings and Arrows (May 22, 2018)

Liberal translation: "cheering for people to die."
Old 17th October 2018, 02:57 PM   #237
Scootch
Muse

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I remember feeling that way too. Thought experiment: If at this point we'll take anyone over Trump, could we be ruing that statement 10 years from now?
I hope not
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 02:58 PM   #238
AOK Tiger
Muse

I'm not a "Trump supporter", but I'll be happy to support (one aspect of) this amazing, unbelievable personality. We were speaking of this -- or I was -- in the Trump Nobel thread.

Man's hilarious. Quite apart from anything else he is or does, he is simply and truly hilarious. No one who isn't blinded by their hate for the man can fail to see that. Thanks to him, news clips featuring him are often funnier than the most carefully thought-up comic shows. Every time he opens his mouth ...

Not one US Prez -- not one -- is a tenth as funny as he is. Not one world leader anywhere, anytime, that I can think of.

Sure, he's a terrible Prez, but no one can take away his (unintentional) comic genius from him.
Spot on, I think that is why I find the hatred hard to understand. I find him either intentionally or unintentionally hilarious. I challenge anyone to watch the China, China..... Chhhinna clip and not laugh (even if you hate him).
AOK Tiger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 03:03 PM   #239
AOK Tiger
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
AOK Tiger: Maybe you guys should rethink why you hate Trump. Upon consideration, you'd likely realize you don't have a good reason.
Everyone: Here is a very long list of why he's bad.
AOK Tiger: I mean, really, I just don't understand why anyone would dislike him.
Everyone: Here's a hundred more things.
AOK Tiger: It's a mystery...
Still a mystery, read back through your "long list" and "hundred" things. Its a very short list and the hundred things (maybe 10) are all opinions about his personality and unsubstantiated claims.

The only real things mentioned were, knocking McCain and the Concentration camps. Both of which I addressed.

That’s your problem you just see so many things that aren’t really there and then wonder why I don’t see them.
AOK Tiger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 03:05 PM   #240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Obama: "Those jobs of the past are just not going to come back."

Trump: "Hold my diet coke."
And did they? Nope. For all Trump's talk about bringing back coal jobs in West Virginia, it simply hasn't happened with the exception of a couple of hundred people. It is natural gas, renewables and much cheaper coal in the West that is killing coal in WV.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics