ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , meghan markle , political gaffes , Trump controversies , US-UK relations

Old 2nd June 2019, 08:35 AM   #41
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
In all fairness, what he said was taken out of context. He said "I didn't know she was nasty," in response to being asked if he knew she had made some nasty remarks about him during the campaign.
Except the interviewer didn't use the word "nasty". That was pure Trump. Here's the link.

In other news, I VERY belatedly realized last night that the reason Trump wanted to meet the Irish PM at his golf course was to avoid protesters. That didn't fly, so they're doing it in a secure area of the airport for the same reason.
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:47 AM   #42
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Not sure about that. She's not a fixture on Fox or Breitbart or The White Power Hour, so he legitimately may not know who she is. Hell, he probably has trouble separating Harry and William. It's quite likely he thought they were talking about Merkel and was confused as to how the German leader had married into the Royal Family.
His boys will certainly get on well with our boys. They all like shooting for sport dear cuddly lovable animals and showing them off as trophies.

The grouse and foxes around England's green and pleasant land need to be afraid, very afraid, of the forthcoming days when Eric and thingy meet up with William and Harry.
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:30 AM   #43
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Not sure about that. She's not a fixture on Fox or Breitbart or The White Power Hour, so he legitimately may not know who she is. Hell, he probably has trouble separating Harry and William. It's quite likely he thought they were talking about Merkel and was confused as to how the German leader had married into the Royal Family.
I was a bit frightened by how reasonable an explanation that is.

But then I read the entire transcript and it is obvious that he understands that she was an American citizen that moved to the UK.
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:34 AM   #44
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I'm with Lurch on this. He was informed about her comments - with which he was unaware - and it was made clear that Markle's comments were quite strong. At that point 'nasty' can relate to her as a person ('she's nasty'), or to her comments ('she was nasty about me').

That said, even a wet-behind-the-ears politician knows how to avoid making awkward responses at times like this, and at the very least his denial should have made clear the context of the denial. If he's suggesting he didn't even use the word then ... it's just Trump and he just spews whatever drivel is in his head in the moment.
And I am against Lurch for the very same reason.

If he meant that her comments were nasty, then he should have said he was misquoted or that he was taken out of context. Forbthe President to say that the whole thing was completely fabricated with a malicious intent is BS of the first water. This is not a simple case of his saying one thing and meaning another.
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:55 AM   #45
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

If he meant that her comments were nasty, then he should have said he was misquoted or that he was taken out of context. Forbthe President to say that the whole thing was completely fabricated with a malicious intent is BS of the first water. This is not a simple case of his saying one thing and meaning another.
As I also mentioned. But I think you're giving him far too much credit for clear thinking. I suspect he's been advised to deny it and fall back on one particular meaning of 'nasty'.
Old 2nd June 2019, 10:23 AM   #46
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Except the interviewer didn't use the word "nasty". That was pure Trump. Here's the link.

(snip)
True, the interviewer didn't use the word 'nasty' but he said she made some remarks that 'weren't very nice' and that she would move to Canada if he got elected. I can see how those can be interpreted as being 'nasty'. I abhor Trump with every fiber of my being but, in this case, he was not calling Markle herself 'nasty' but was referring to her remarks.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 10:43 AM   #47
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

Quote:
No, I didn't know that she was nasty.
I think this is a case of what he said being reasonably interpreted in two different ways. Grammatically, he could be referring to her personally or to her remarks. In context, it makes more sense to me that he was referring to her remarks, especially in light of what he said next:

Quote:
The Sun: "Is it good having an American princess though, Mr. President?"

Trump: "I think it's nice. I think it's nice. I'm sure she'll do excellently. She'll be very good. She'll be very good. I hope she does."

Quote:
I never called Meghan Markle 'nasty.'
He is not saying the whole thing was fabricated; he is saying that he didn't call Markle 'nasty' in the way it was being reported by some media. It pains me to say anything to defend him and we have a lot to rightly criticize this POS for, but I don't think this is one of them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:49 AM   #48
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

True, the interviewer didn't use the word 'nasty' but he said she made some remarks that 'weren't very nice' and that she would move to Canada if he got elected. I can see how those can be interpreted as being 'nasty'. I abhor Trump with every fiber of my being but, in this case, he was not calling Markle herself 'nasty' but was referring to her remarks.
His exact words: "I didn't know she was nasty". Nothing about her words.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:06 PM   #49
fuelair
Banned

I trust Trump plugged his bottom up so he would not gag the queen, etc. with his constant trumping!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:12 PM   #50
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I trust Trump plugged his bottom up so he would not gag the queen, etc. with his constant trumping!!!!!
As in: https://www.quora.com/What-does-trum...-British-slang
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:42 PM   #51
Stacyhs
Philosopher

His exact words: "I didn't know she was nasty". Nothing about her words.
I know what his exact words were. I can read. I can also read things in context. I can also acknowledge that his words can be correctly interpreted in two ways: 1) SHE is nasty or 2) her REMARKS were nasty. However, it is more logical that he was referring to her remarks because that is what he was being asked about.
Quote:
Told of Meghan’s barbs by The Sun, Mr Trump insisted it was the first time he’d heard them.

He said: “I didn’t know that. What can I say? I didn’t know that she was nasty.”
(The Sun)

Quote:
Donald Trump has revealed his shock at Meghan Markle’s “nasty” comments about him
Quote:
Rather than hit back at Meghan in his customary fashion, the President seemed willing to mend fences — while saying she can flourish in her new role.

He predicted she will make “a very good” American princess.

On her joining the Royal Family, he added: “It is nice, and I am sure she will do excellently.

“She will be very good. I hope she does (succeed).”
Not even that rag tabloid is claiming Trump called Meghan herself "nasty". I despise Trump as much as you do, but I also refuse to attack him for something it's clear to me he did not do just because of my personal disgust for him. That would make me no better than him.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:52 PM   #52
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Stacy, you are one of my favorite posters here, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:55 PM   #53
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Stacy, you are one of my favorite posters here, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Yes, I guess we will.
Old 2nd June 2019, 01:27 PM   #54
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
This is a "state" visit? Does that mean he gets a big parade?
Prefer a big puree for it!!!!!
Old 2nd June 2019, 01:42 PM   #55
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
This is a "state" visit? Does that mean he gets a big parade?
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I trust you mean big blockade there!!!
Well, I'm sure there will be a few balloons...
Old 2nd June 2019, 01:49 PM   #56
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

You know, I'm still not sure if Trump was elected in spite of the universal and strenuous efforts of the MSM to prevent it, or if he was installed as a hate figure, as a further wedge to accelerate fragmenting US (and perhaps Western) society. In my lifetime I've never seen anything like 'Trump derangment syndrome' - even the Idiot Prince, GWB, with his neocon cronies and their coopting of the US and UK military into utterly destroying Iraq, never generated anything like this hysteria among the left and self-styled "intelligentsia".
Old 2nd June 2019, 05:36 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Over a million anti-Trump protesters are expected in London over the next couple of days. GO, LONDON!

Quote:
More than one million Londoners are ready to demonstrate against Donald Trump’s visit to the UK next month, a survey suggests.

A staggering 13 per cent of the city’s 8 million residents say they are “likely” to join the protest, which would make it among the biggest in the country’s history.

An even higher proportion of 18- to 24-year-olds – one in five – said they expect to march on the streets during the state visit, which will take place on 3-6 June.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8915331.html
Old 2nd June 2019, 06:10 PM   #58
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

If he can be put straight in his darkened, armoured car that he can't see out of, driven through some city he doesn't know, and arrive to talk with a bunch of white people he wouldn't recognise...why can't all that be done in the USA? Why send the sack-of-crap all the way to the UK? Save all that money and send him to Birmingham, AL instead.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:26 AM   #59
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I was just listening to BBC news when they pointed out that part of the etiquette of dining with Her Maj. is to be sure to allow her to finish first. I wonder if the orange Piggy McPigface will manage that?
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:37 AM   #60
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I was just listening to BBC news when they pointed out that part of the etiquette of dining with Her Maj. is to be sure to allow her to finish first. I wonder if the orange Piggy McPigface will manage that?
Sure, just serve vegetables. No way is he going to touch mushy peas...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:42 AM   #61
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Was slightly delayed by his huge motorcade on my way to work this morning - I guess they were heading to the airport to pick him up. Several motorcycle outriders, loads of flashing blue lights, about a dozen cars, some armoured and at least one with some weird-looking radar aerial on the top. He hasn't even arrived and he's already getting in my way.

And of course, we've probably got annoyingly loud helicopters to look forward to again....
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:43 AM   #62
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It’s literally on tape.
It’s his word against his.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:05 AM   #63
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Was slightly delayed by his huge motorcade on my way to work this morning - I guess they were heading to the airport to pick him up. Several motorcycle outriders, loads of flashing blue lights, about a dozen cars, some armoured and at least one with some weird-looking radar aerial on the top. He hasn't even arrived and he's already getting in my way.

And of course, we've probably got annoyingly loud helicopters to look forward to again....
Well it must be gridlock by now - Westminster is close to that just in June just due to tourists. Add security and protesters and it's going to be impossible to walk, let alone drive.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:14 AM   #64
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Didn't Boris Johnson slam Trump during the 2016 presidential election?
Yes, he said Trump "betrays a stupefying ignorance that makes him unfit to be US President".
The Independent, 9 Dec 2015.

Also, that he "wouldn't want to expose Londoners to any unnecessary risk of meeting Donald Trump".

Last edited by BillC; 3rd June 2019 at 01:16 AM.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:16 AM   #65
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

"Need more of him"? Hell, no. I'd prefer he'd gotten his attention fix by staying on reality TV rather than ever come down that stupid "Look at me!" escalator. But he is, unfortunately, the POTUS and we have to deal with him.
It's such a strange narrative that prestige is trying to convince people of. To complain and protest Trump means that a person really needs more of him, that they obsess on Trump for the purpose of needing a bad guy to obsess over. The problem is, if no one protested Trump, I'm sure Trumpanzees would run the narrative that everyone loves trump because there are no protesters.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:54 AM   #66
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Aaand he's off to a flyer, slagging off the mayor of the city he's visiting (I know, I know, the whole City of London vs. London as a whole...)

Quote:
.@SadiqKhan, who by all accounts has done a terrible job as Mayor of London, has been foolishly “nasty” to the visiting President of the United States, by far the most important ally of the United Kingdom. He is a stone cold loser who should focus on crime in London, not me......
Quote:
....Kahn reminds me very much of our very dumb and incompetent Mayor of NYC, de Blasio, who has also done a terrible job - only half his height. In any event, I look forward to being a great friend to the United Kingdom, and am looking very much forward to my visit. Landing now!
As the Guardian rightly points out, being slagged off by trump should bump Sadiq Khan up a few points in the polls ahead of the upcoming mayoral election next year.

Last edited by KDLarsen; 3rd June 2019 at 01:56 AM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 02:24 AM   #67
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Actually the City of London (the "Square Mile") is the bit that Sadiq Khan isn't the Mayor of.
Old 3rd June 2019, 02:34 AM   #68
Worm
Master Poster

I could be wrong, but as I understand it the City is unique in many ways - but does come under the purview of the Mayor of London for many strategic functions. It also has the Lord Mayor, but that is very much a ceremonial position.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 05:39 AM   #69
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post

Originally Posted by Trump
....Kahn reminds me very much of our very dumb and incompetent Mayor of NYC, de Blasio, who has also done a terrible job - only half his height. In any event, I look forward to being a great friend to the United Kingdom, and am looking very much forward to my visit. Landing now!
Ignoring instructions to turn off mobile phones when taking off and landing.

I appreciate that there is no real technological risk and innocent people could get hurt or worse, but it would be beautifully ironic if his plane crashed because he sent a tweet when landing.

Last edited by Lothian; 3rd June 2019 at 05:41 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 07:41 AM   #70
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
You know, I'm still not sure if Trump was elected in spite of the universal and strenuous efforts of the MSM to prevent it, or if he was installed as a hate figure, as a further wedge to accelerate fragmenting US (and perhaps Western) society. In my lifetime I've never seen anything like 'Trump derangment syndrome' - even the Idiot Prince, GWB, with his neocon cronies and their coopting of the US and UK military into utterly destroying Iraq, never generated anything like this hysteria among the left and self-styled "intelligentsia".
That would be because in your lifetime no one as illiterate, bigoted, mendacious, lacking in curiosity or empathy has risen to such a high position in a Western Democracy. You might have a point if he demonstrated even a modicum of even handedness, research or willingness to learn but he has not. I disliked Margaret Thatcher and what she did to my country but I would never have called her a buffoon. Trump I start at buffoon and my opinion goes downhill from there.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 07:51 AM   #71
Worm
Master Poster

I really hope this is real, but can't verify.

Led By Donkeys have been doing some sterling work trying to bring facts to the Brexit debate. Here they turn to Donald Trump.

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status...57720030027776

Quote:
Hey @realDonaldTrump, we read the story about the sailors on a US warship being ordered to hide from you because you’re triggered by the name on their hats. So we turned Madame Tussaud's into a giant USS John McCain baseball cap. Welcome to London!

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:10 AM   #72
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
You know, I'm still not sure if Trump was elected in spite of the universal and strenuous efforts of the MSM to prevent it, or if he was installed as a hate figure, as a further wedge to accelerate fragmenting US (and perhaps Western) society.

The mainstream media actually did little to prevent Trump's election. In fact, they facilitated it. They treated Trump as an entertaining sideshow, secure in the certainty that Clinton would win. The MSM gave Trump free advertising that Trump himself estimated to be worth something like $5 billion. Every panel on CNN had Trump surrogates making outrageous, ridiculous claims. CNN ran numerous Trump campaign rallies live from beginning to end. The MSM did little to report on Trump's life-long corruption and fraud, his bad business judgments, his bankruptcies, his Mafia connections, his assaults on women and more because they didn't think he could win. The MSM created Trump, even as the entire Republican establishment was trying to stop him.

Quote:
Ten years later, it was Zucker, now the head of CNN, who gave Trump astonishing amounts of free exposure in the Republican presidential primary on the cable network, continually blasting out his speeches and rallies — often unfiltered and without critical fact-checking.

“It’s a not-unfair knock on CNN to say that they went all in on Trump and helped him enormously,” Ken Lerer, co-founder of the Huffington Post and BuzzFeed, said in a recent onstage interview at City University of New York’s journalism school. “I think it was a strategy, a programming strategy.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.8080039431e1
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:21 AM   #73
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If he can be put straight in his darkened, armoured car that he can't see out of, driven through some city he doesn't know, and arrive to talk with a bunch of white people he wouldn't recognise...why can't all that be done in the USA? Why send the sack-of-crap all the way to the UK? Save all that money and send him to Birmingham, AL instead.
Why not to the Marianas Trench instead? In a lead rowboat.
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:50 AM   #74
Explorer
Graduate Poster

No red carpet for DT as he stepped off the plane. A subtle hint perhaps?
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:58 AM   #75
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The mainstream media actually did little to prevent Trump's election. In fact, they facilitated it. They treated Trump as an entertaining sideshow, secure in the certainty that Clinton would win. The MSM gave Trump free advertising that Trump himself estimated to be worth something like $5 billion. Every panel on CNN had Trump surrogates making outrageous, ridiculous claims. CNN ran numerous Trump campaign rallies live from beginning to end. The MSM did little to report on Trump's life-long corruption and fraud, his bad business judgments, his bankruptcies, his Mafia connections, his assaults on women and more because they didn't think he could win. The MSM created Trump, even as the entire Republican establishment was trying to stop him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.8080039431e1
Exactly!

Trump would call in and CNN. Would stop whatever story it was reporting on to let Trump pontificate on whatever he wanted to talk about.

I saw them interrupt a story to report that Trump’s campaign plane was about to land.

Lastly, I want to apologize for my hysteria. LOL.
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:14 PM   #76
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The mainstream media actually did little to prevent Trump's election. In fact, they facilitated it. They treated Trump as an entertaining sideshow, secure in the certainty that Clinton would win.
There is little doubt in my mind that the US media's barrage of declarations that Clinton had a greater-than-90% chance of winning in the week before the election led to a lower Democratic turnout.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:31 PM   #77
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

London part of trip is going really well. The Queen and the entire Royal family have been fantastic. The relationship with the United Kingdom is very strong. Tremendous crowds of well wishers and people that love our Country. Haven’t seen any protests yet, but I’m sure the....

....Fake News will be working hard to find them. Great love all around. Also, big Trade Deal is possible once U.K. gets rid of the shackles. Already starting to talk!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:33 PM   #78
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
If it makes some people mad, isn't that all that really matters?

That's my understanding from Trump supporters...
Bonus points for making foreigners mad.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:48 PM   #79
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It’s his word against his.
And I am sure both of them are absurd lies!!!
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:51 PM   #80
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Ignoring instructions to turn off mobile phones when taking off and landing.

I appreciate that there is no real technological risk and innocent people could get hurt or worse, but it would be beautifully ironic if his plane crashed because he sent a tweet when landing.
As much as I wish it would happen I would only wish it if there was only one person (kind of) carried out completely covered.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics