ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 6th July 2019, 11:33 AM   #641
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Joe Biden is a reclamation project. Some things are just not salvageable. China and other countries that ripped us off for years are begging for him. He deserted our military, our law enforcement and our healthcare. Added more debt than all other Presidents combined. Won’t win!
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Do any other posters here have any thoughts on former President Biden?
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
There is a thread dedicated to the Dem. candidates. You'll get lot of thoughts on him and the others.
Suggest you read more carefully.
Old 6th July 2019, 12:01 PM   #642
Tero
Graduate Poster

I don't think Trump wrote "reclamation." Good line, though. Otherwise fake post. Trump was never good for military or veterans.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 12:16 PM   #643
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
That's sick even for Trump. Then again, it's possible Trump has no idea who he is. He just sees a (white) man in uniform and decides he's a good person.
Raised on John Wayne movies, they don't believe any US soldiers would do that. But they do believe soldiers would lie to get even with a commanding officer.
Old 6th July 2019, 12:18 PM   #644
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Of course they didn't. The described it accurately. You are incorrect as always.

And take the Statue of Liberty off your avatar. That's for real Americans.
Quite ironic to ignore the immigrants part of that symbol.
Old 6th July 2019, 12:25 PM   #645
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Remember, a big criticism of Obama, from the right, was that he could only speak with a teleprompter.
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Also that he played way too much golf.
And that his skin was a funny color.

So if it was on the teleprompter, someone should ask the press secretary if they've found the rascal yet, and fired him or her.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 6th July 2019 at 12:28 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 12:29 PM   #646
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Suggest you read more carefully.
LOL! Mea culpa!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 12:33 PM   #647
Steve
Philosopher

LOL! Mea culpa!
It happens
Old 6th July 2019, 12:59 PM   #648
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Raised on John Wayne movies, they don't believe any US soldiers would do that. But they do believe soldiers would lie to get even with a commanding officer.
It's ironic that JW made plenty of war films where he was the hero but never served.
Like Trump he got a medical deferment because of bad feet.

Some of his hollywood colleagues like Clarke Gable and Jimmy Stewart volunteered and served with distinction.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 01:35 PM   #649
Stacyhs
Philosopher

It's ironic that JW made plenty of war films where he was the hero but never served.
Like Trump he got a medical deferment because of bad feet.

Some of his hollywood colleagues like Clarke Gable and Jimmy Stewart volunteered and served with distinction.
JW actually got a 3A deferment due to having 4 dependent children, not because of bad feet. After two deferments, he became ineligible due to his age.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 01:41 PM   #650
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

JW actually got a 3A deferment due to having 4 dependent children, not because of bad feet. After two deferments, he became ineligible due to his age.
Chicken more like, more worried about his career.

Henry Fonda had a wife and three kids and he joined ranks.

Clarke Gable was 41and Gene Autry was only four months younger than Wayne when he signed on.

No respect for him or his portrayals of a combat hero.
He should have stuck to cowboy films.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 6th July 2019 at 01:45 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 01:52 PM   #651
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Clarke Gable was 41and Gene Autry was only four months younger than Wayne when he signed on.

You'll get no argument from me about that! Leslie Howard (Ashley, GWTW), while British and not American, volunteered and was killed when his plane went down. He was never found.

My mother had the exact same opinion of Wayne as you which caused some disharmony as my dad was a big JW fan. She'd rant every time Dad watched The Green Berets.
Old 6th July 2019, 03:22 PM   #652
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I haven't had much time to be in this section for a while (and catching up seems like a bit of a daunting task, TBH), but I felt this was worth posting. Apologies if it's already been covered:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...30380981067777

https://twitter.com/mywifecameback/s...05566732345345

https://www.salon.com/2019/07/05/the...y-with-murder/
Trump was widely expected to pardon Gallagher if he was convicted. He may still do so to forestall further prosecution.
Old 6th July 2019, 03:50 PM   #653
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump was widely expected to pardon Gallagher if he was convicted. He may still do so to forestall further prosecution.
I think he would have if Gallagher had been convicted of murder. All Gallagher has now is being found guilty of posing with the dead fighter which got him a demotion, reduction in pay, and 4 month confinement which is already met as time served. I don't think there will be any further prosecution. If Trump were smart (and therein lies the problem!), he would let it go due to any pardon being very controversial. Unfortunately, Trump thrives on being controversial because he gets to be the center of attention. That's all that matters to him.
Old 6th July 2019, 05:00 PM   #654
Stacyhs
Philosopher

From leaked emails from the UK's US ambassador:

Quote:
Britain's ambassador in the United States has described President Donald Trump and his administration as "inept" and "uniquely dysfunctional", according to leaked diplomatic memos published by the Mail on Sunday.

Ambassador Kim Darroch reportedly said Trump's presidency could "crash and burn" and "end in disgrace", in the cache of secret cables and briefing notes sent back to Britain seen by the newspaper.

"We don't really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept," Darroch allegedly wrote in one dispatch.
Quote:
He reportedly wrote that the "vicious infighting and chaos" inside the White House -- widely reported in the US but dismissed by Trump as "fake news" -- was "mostly true".
Quote:
...Darroch criticised Trump's fraught foreign policy on Iran, which has prompted fears in global capitals of a military conflict, as "incoherent" and "chaotic".

He allegedly said the president's assertion, that he called off retaliatory missile strikes against the Iranian regime after a US drone was shot down because it risked killing 150 Iranians, "doesn't stand up".
https://www.france24.com/en/20190707...e-inept-report
Old 6th July 2019, 07:01 PM   #655
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Epstein arrested over sex trafficking. This will be interesting. Reckon Trumps underage rape case will get another look at.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffre...-minors-source

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th July 2019 at 07:04 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 07:26 PM   #656
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Aren't they the same nationality as Steele? Say no more.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 07:44 PM   #657
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Epstein arrested over sex trafficking. This will be interesting. Reckon Trumps underage rape case will get another look at.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffre...-minors-source
I doubt it. The DOJ has a lot of skeletons in their closet regarding Epstein and aTrump could have **** a guy on 5th Avenue and his partisan AG would prevent the investigation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 07:47 PM   #658
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I doubt it. The DOJ has a lot of skeletons in their closet regarding Epstein and aTrump could have **** a guy on 5th Avenue and his partisan AG would prevent the investigation.
Yeah, lets se what these NY Statenprosecutors come up with.
Old 6th July 2019, 08:25 PM   #659
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Whoops.
That was quite a leak.

“Incoherent, chaotic, infighting, inept, dysfunctional.” Yep. Pretty much nailed it.

ETA
Excuse me. “uniquely dysfunctional.” Le mot juste

Last edited by Ladewig; 6th July 2019 at 08:30 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 08:45 PM   #660
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Whoops.
That was quite a leak.

“Incoherent, chaotic, infighting, inept, dysfunctional.” Yep. Pretty much nailed it.

ETA
Captain obvious of Queens Diplomatic Corps reports.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th July 2019 at 08:46 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 08:59 PM   #661
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Yeah, lets se what these NY Statenprosecutors come up with.
Interestingly, he's not facing State prosecutors but SDNY. And this comes on the heels of this report.

Quote:
Convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein’s victims were dealt a loss Monday when the Justice Department determined the New York money manager’s lenient plea deal must stand, rejecting a request by victims to prosecute him for molesting dozens of underage girls, The Miami Herald was first to report.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jeffr...b07ae90da437e9
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 09:31 PM   #662
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yes, the US is now respected on the world stage.....
Old 6th July 2019, 10:08 PM   #663
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm rather disappointed they aren't more British-sounding. "Egads, guv'nor, this chap is an absolute bounder! The utter limit, I say, and with no more class than a bolshie wellie trolly! Gorblimey, m'lord, wot a pig's brekkie of a what-for, I should cocoa! Crikey!"
Old 6th July 2019, 10:47 PM   #664
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I don't think Trump wrote "reclamation." Good line, though. Otherwise fake post. Trump was never good for military or veterans.
Actually, given his business history, I'm sure he's very familiar with reclamation.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 11:54 PM   #665
llwyd
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Whoops.
That was quite a leak.

ETA
Typical British understatement.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 12:02 AM   #666
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The brits are just angry because they couldn't take JFK airport in 1776....
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 12:44 AM   #667
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yes, the US is now respected on the world stage.....
Nobody cares. All the world leaders have been telling Trump what a great job he's doing.

Who do you believe, some Pommy git or the President of USA?
Old 7th July 2019, 01:40 AM   #668
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The brits are just angry because they couldn't take JFK airport in 1776....
Yeah, and no matter how hard they tried, Washington always had access to Balloon One at Andrews AFB.

Last edited by timhau; 7th July 2019 at 01:47 AM.
timhau is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 02:12 AM   #669
jeremyp
Muse

I honestly don’t understand this attitude. He wasn’t a cowboy in the Old West either, he was an actor. Actors are paid to pretend to be people they are not. I would no more criticism John Wayne for playing military roles than I would criticize Richard Dreyfus for playing a marine biologist, Clint Eastwood for playing a San Francisco police officer, Julia Roberts for playing a paralegal, Chris Hemsworth for playing a racing driver etc etc etc.

You don’t need to have been in the army to play the part on screen. You don’t need to have been in the army to be the commander in chief. You don’t need to have experience in all of the areas where you have to make decisions as POTUS. You do need to recognize your lack of experience and appoint good trustworthy advisors to make up for your weaknesses. This is where Trump has gone wrong, he is in full Dunning-Kruger mode.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 02:23 AM   #670
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
You don’t need to have been in the army to be the commander in chief.
I agree. However, lying to get out of serving in the military should disqualify a person from becoming Commander in Chief.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 02:27 AM   #671
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Steve Scalise
‏Verified account
@SteveScalise

Joe Biden claims Russian election interference wouldn’t have happened on his watch or Obama’s watch.
Seriously, Joe?? It DID happen on your watch and Obama’s watch!!
Let’s walk down memory lane...

Russian interference in America’s elections happened on Obama and Biden’s watch. That’s irrefutable. Even CBS News admitted Obama knew about Russian meddling.

Did Joe Biden forget about Obama’s Secretary of State Hillary Clinton offering a “reset” with Russia, undermining our national security?

@realDonaldTrump continues to defy expectations & deliver results for American workers! Democrats need to explain to everyone with new jobs & higher wages why they want to take that away from them with their job-killing socialist programs & high taxes.

America’s economy thrives when you cut taxes and get harmful Washington regulations out of the way. Republicans and @realDonaldTrump have proven that.

Yet Democrats are threatening to reverse all of this success with their high taxes and big-government socialist programs.
Old 7th July 2019, 02:29 AM   #672
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Typical, Trump and Republicans don't mention Mitch's role in all of that Russian interference.
Old 7th July 2019, 02:41 AM   #673
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
That's sick even for Trump. Then again, it's possible Trump has no idea who he is. He just sees a (white) man in uniform and decides he's a good person.
Maybe he said something good about Trump at one point.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 02:44 AM   #674
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

LOL! Mea culpa!
Now that's not presidential behaviour.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 04:34 AM   #675
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That all seems blindingly obvious. Perhaps their ambassador should spend his time telling his government things that any random person who walks past a newsstand couldn't figure out on their own.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 06:19 AM   #676
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I agree. However, lying to get out of serving in the military should disqualify a person from becoming Commander in Chief.

Trump didn't have to lie.

He paid a doctor to do it for him.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 08:07 AM   #677
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

That all seems blindingly obvious. Perhaps their ambassador should spend his time telling his government things that any random person who walks past a newsstand couldn't figure out on their own.
But that makes it an official assessment, it's a matter of government record.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 7th July 2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 7th July 2019, 08:15 AM   #678
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Last year was the first in 51 years where prescription drug prices actually went down, but things have been, and are being, put in place that will drive them down substantially. If Dems would work with us in a bipartisan fashion, we would get big results very fast!
Old 7th July 2019, 09:02 AM   #679
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Newsstands could be evil press false news, or at least dismissed as such. A report from an ambassador is a professional assessment.

Very serious and embarrassing that it was leaked. I assume there will soon be an ambassador shuffle.

Can't wait to see how Trump reacts.

Hans
Old 7th July 2019, 09:05 AM   #680
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Last year was the first in 51 years where prescription drug prices actually went down, but things have been, and are being, put in place that will drive them down substantially. If Dems would work with us in a bipartisan fashion, we would get big results very fast!
Funny he didn't get all those big results very fast while he still had a majority in Congress ...

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics