ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th July 2019, 08:07 AM   #2241
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Quote:
.The downward revisions to the three quarters largely reflected downgrades to business investment, suggesting corporations likely did not plow their tax windfall back into their businesses.
WHERE'S MAH TRICKLE DOWN?!?!?!
Its on Trump's pee tape.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 08:08 AM   #2242
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@FoxNews is at it again. So different from what they used to be during the 2016 Primaries, & before - Proud Warriors! Now new Fox Polls, which have always been terrible to me (they had me losing BIG to Crooked Hillary), have me down to Sleepy Joe. Even considering.....

....the fact that I have gone through a three year vicious Witch Hunt, perpetrated by the Lamestream Media in Collusion with Crooked and the Democrat Party, there can be NO WAY, with the greatest Economy in U.S. history, that I can be losing to the Sleepy One. KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 08:10 AM   #2243
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

There may or may not be National Security concerns with regard to Google and their relationship with China. If there is a problem, we will find out about it. I sincerely hope there is not!!!

Apple will not be given Tariff wavers, or relief, for Mac Pro parts that are made in China. Make them in the USA, no Tariffs!

Q2 GDP Up 2.1% Not bad considering we have the very heavy weight of the Federal Reserve anchor wrapped around our neck. Almost no inflation. USA is set to Zoom!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 08:13 AM   #2244
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

@FoxNews is at it again. So different from what they used to be during the 2016 Primaries, & before - Proud Warriors! Now new Fox Polls, which have always been terrible to me (they had me losing BIG to Crooked Hillary), have me down to Sleepy Joe. Even considering.....

....the fact that I have gone through a three year vicious Witch Hunt, perpetrated by the Lamestream Media in Collusion with Crooked and the Democrat Party, there can be NO WAY, with the greatest Economy in U.S. history, that I can be losing to the Sleepy One. KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
I think his feelings were hurt.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 08:22 AM   #2245
plague311
Great minds think...

Q2 GDP Up 2.1% Not bad considering we have the very heavy weight of the Federal Reserve anchor wrapped around our neck. Almost no inflation. USA is set to Zoom!
I wonder how this will effect his "GREATEST ECONOMY IN TEH WORLD!" claim.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Its on Trump's pee tape.
That made me chortle.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 08:24 AM   #2246
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Yet that's lower than the 4% Trump claimed he could achieve during the elections. And its even less than last year's GDP increase.

Yup things are slowing down.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 09:03 AM   #2247
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's been said before, but Trump thinks that government works like one of his companies, but he's never been a CEO. He has no experience with being answerable to other people and not having absolute power in his bailiwick. He thinks that he says "Do this!" and everyone in the country and the world will fall over themselves following his orders like they're his employees.
He still hasn't been answerable to anyone else. He tells his underlings to ignore congressional subpeonas and not a darn thing happens, for instance.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 09:47 AM   #2248
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

France just put a digital tax on our great American technology companies. If anybody taxes them, it should be their home Country, the USA. We will announce a substantial reciprocal action on Macron’s foolishness shortly. I’ve always said American wine is better than French wine!
Old 26th July 2019, 09:49 AM   #2249
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trade War with France!

Break out the Freedom Fries!
Old 26th July 2019, 09:50 AM   #2250
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Trump Tweets

France just put a digital tax on our great American technology companies. If anybody taxes them, it should be their home Country, the USA. We will announce a substantial reciprocal action on Macron’s foolishness shortly. I’ve always said American wine is better than French wine!
"If"? Is he suggesting "great American technology companies" shouldn't be taxed at all?
Old 26th July 2019, 09:51 AM   #2251
plague311
Great minds think...

Trump Tweets

That's because you're a next level dumbass that lives off of McDonald's\diet coke, and wouldn't know good food\drink if it mouth ****** your hate hole.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 09:54 AM   #2252
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

So remember how Trump and the republicans predicted huge economic benefits from their tax cuts?

Turns out that they weren't so beneficial after all.

From: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1UL1KP
The Commerce Department said on Friday that gross domestic product increased at a 2.9% rate last year, confirming an estimate which was published in March. The department’s annual revisions to GDP data also showed the economy growing 2.5% in the 12 months through the fourth quarter of 2018, down from the previously reported 3.0%.....On the campaign trail, Trump boasted he could boost annual GDP growth to 4%....The updated Commerce Department data also showed growth in the second and third quarters of last year was not as robust as previously estimated, and the economy grew much more slowly in the fourth quarter than had been reported in March....The data also showed growth in consumer spending peaking in the second quarter and decelerating sharply in the final three months of 2018....The downward revisions to the three quarters largely reflected downgrades to business investment, suggesting corporations likely did not plow their tax windfall back into their businesses.

So Trump and the republicans promise big benefits from the tax cuts. Those big benefits are at best mild, and whatever benefit they provided seems to be fading. Still, the deficit lives on!
The cuts, of course, were never intended to benefit the economy. They were intended to benefit a few rich bastards and large corporations. They worked just fine.
Old 26th July 2019, 10:01 AM   #2253
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That's because you're a next level dumbass that lives off of McDonald's\diet coke, and wouldn't know good food\drink if it mouth ****** your hate hole.
There was an infamous wine tasting decades ago where the French experts extolled the obvious superiority of what they believed to be the French wines, then immediately backtracked when the labels were revealed and every single one of their praised top picks were American. Wine snobbery never really recovered.
Old 26th July 2019, 10:02 AM   #2254
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

If American wine is better than French wine, then why would they need tariffs to get people to buy it?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 26th July 2019, 10:02 AM   #2255
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Trump Tweets

I thought Trump was supposed to be a teetotaler.
Old 26th July 2019, 10:06 AM   #2256
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
There was an infamous wine tasting decades ago where the French experts extolled the obvious superiority of what they believed to be the French wines, then immediately backtracked when the labels were revealed and every single one of their praised top picks were American. Wine snobbery never really recovered.
It also didn't help when a researcher managed to take several dozen wine experts and gave them white wine that was disguised as red (using a tasteless food coloring), and nobody noticed.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo...e_tasting.html

We are Groot - Groot
Old 26th July 2019, 10:07 AM   #2257
plague311
Great minds think...

I don't drink wine at all. I drink Jim Beam and Coke Zero because it's delicious. Wine just doesn't tickle me.

That being said, if I were to drink wine I would specifically get the opposite of what Trump likes because of my previous statement LoL.

Old 26th July 2019, 10:09 AM   #2258
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Trump Tweets

And of course, this tax is simply a tax on turnover for large companies in France. Small companies are still taxed on profits.

It seems a pretty decent model to me.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 10:12 AM   #2259
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Did McConnell just basically say that doing what's best for the country is not in the Republicans' best interest?
Pretty much. This wouldn't be a new thing in principle, of course, though, given that McConnell's been acting to strengthen the Republican Party by hurting the country quite a bit for far, far too long. This involves outright compromising the country to hostile foreign actors, though, which is why I'm calling McConnell a traitor.

In random news, then...

A minor scandal's up first.

Pro-Trump Republican aiming to unseat Ilhan Omar charged with felony theft

Quote:
Stella is accused of stealing 279 items valued at $2,327.97 from a Target store in Edina, to the south-west of Minneapolis, on 8 January this year. She was arrested for the alleged theft after security staff called the police.

A criminal complaint filed to Hennepin county district court alleged Stella was seen leaving the store without paying for most of her haul, after “scanning only a few other items” that were valued at about $50.

The complaint said Stella told police in a statement she “remembers arriving at Target to purchase items but nothing else” due to post-traumatic stress disorder, and that she “normally she goes to Target with someone because of anxiety around people”.

Stella has said publicly that she was the victim of a severe violent assault in 2008. She is charged with the thefts under her former surname, which the Guardian agreed not to report because she said it could endanger her safety.
Err... somehow, I get the impression that this person's not a good fit for the job. Anyone disagree?

House Democrats are calling a bit of attention to the War on Science... Good!

House Holds Hearing On ‘When Science Gets Trumped’ At The Department of Interior

Next, well... is pretty self explanatory.

Trump’s proposed H-2A rules would harm, not help, U.S. farm workers.

Short version, the changes would actually make it easy to discriminate against US citizens in favor of much more exploitable non-citizens who are seeking work... and makes it much easier to effectively treat the non-citizens as if they were slave labor. I wish I was engaging in hyberbole there, but... when wages are being pointedly kept low in the first place AND the people are not allowed any legal recourse for being cheated of their pay AND costs can be forced upon them AND they're not legally permitted to seek other employment... that's just making it really, really easy for unscrupulous employers. More could be added, but... Ugh.

Oh, right. There's another thing of note here.

Quote:
Moreover, like so many other Trump policies, his H-2A proposed rule changes are also about self-dealing and self-enrichment. H-2A workers toil in Trump’s Virginia vineyards. He would personally gain from changing the rules so he can hire more foreign guest workers more cheaply and make it harder for domestic farm workers to get those jobs. Because their visas only let them labor at Trump vineyards, the right of H-2A workers to remain in this country is totally at Trump’s mercy —simply for complaining about abuse or mistreatment.

Last edited by Aridas; 26th July 2019 at 10:27 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 10:30 AM   #2260
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

haha funny guy

there are some decent American Wines but most of it is paint stripper along with the South American and Australian swill.

Don't get me wrong, most French wine is swill too.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 26th July 2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 26th July 2019, 10:32 AM   #2261
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

dupe

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 26th July 2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 26th July 2019, 10:35 AM   #2262
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

He is a self-professed teetotaler. Not like Trump to pretend he has expertise when he has none.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 10:57 AM   #2263
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
In random news, then...

A minor scandal's up first.

Quote:
Pro-Trump Republican aiming to unseat Ilhan Omar charged with felony theft.
Err... somehow, I get the impression that this person's not a good fit for the job. Anyone disagree?...

She's running on a hypothetical? What happens if Ilhan Omar isn't charged with felony theft?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 11:03 AM   #2264
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

haha funny guy

there are some decent American Wines but most of it is paint stripper along with the South American and Australian swill.

Don't get me wrong, most French wine is swill too.
I've never cared for wine, either. Beer has a longer history and actual nutritional value, plus doesn't feel like it's dissolving your teeth.
Old 26th July 2019, 11:03 AM   #2265
lomiller
Philosopher

....The downward revisions to the three quarters largely reflected downgrades to business investment, suggesting corporations likely did not plow their tax windfall back into their businesses.[/i]
Companies don’t burry money in tin cans out in a field someplace, if they don’t spend it themselves they offer it up to consumers and other investors to use. If they don’t spend it someone else will. For a decade now, money has been really cheap to anyone who wants to spend it or invest it, so these companies were not starved for investment capital even before the tax cuts.

The idea that if they had a little more it would create economic growth was flawed from the start IMO. If someone were to do the math it wouldn’t surprise me at all if money made available to corporations via tax cuts indirectly loaned right back to the US government to finance the increase in deficit spending.

If so, there would obviously no new economic growth and the only real effect was that US taxpayers are stuck paying off a larger debt.
Old 26th July 2019, 11:12 AM   #2266
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/OfficialJonZal/s...42478629662726

Quote:
If you're wondering how *******-crazy Trump's 2020 campaign is going to get, please keep in mind that he is running for re-election with full knowledge that losing means he'll likely be prosecuted for crimes he committed as the sitting president of the United States.
Old 26th July 2019, 11:15 AM   #2267
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Pretty much. This wouldn't be a new thing in principle, of course, though, given that McConnell's been acting to strengthen the Republican Party by hurting the country quite a bit for far, far too long. This involves outright compromising the country to hostile foreign actors, though, which is why I'm calling McConnell a traitor.
Oh, I'll join you in calling him that.

What I don't understand is that if the bills presented are bipartisan, why aren't his colleagues ousting him? Why the hell does he have this sort of blocking power in the senate?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 11:15 AM   #2268
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
"They" are Turning Point. They are evidently a bit incompetent. Surely, they could have asked the administration for an official image.

(Of course, this may have been intentional anyway. Perhaps likely was.)
They could have, had the person who made the thing not been out to make a point in front of national cameras, and/or to humiliate TPUSA.

Not surprised that a group founded by Charlie Kirk, and who "stands for free speech" by harassing professors they disagree with and their families, completely failed to catch this, though.

Trump Tweets

Very disappointed in Prime Minister Stefan Löfven for being unable to act. Sweden has let our African American Community down in the United States. I watched the tapes of A$AP Rocky, and he was being followed and harassed by troublemakers. Treat Americans fairly! #FreeRocky

Give A$AP Rocky his FREEDOM. We do so much for Sweden but it doesn’t seem to work the other way around. Sweden should focus on its real crime problem! #FreeRocky
Huh. Even some white supremacists understand that you don't just go chasing people around. Screw him anyway, though, for claiming that it's Sweden's President that black Americans should be worried about.

To be honest, though, A$AP did pretty much body-slam the guy, which was more than needed to wave off some dude just being annoying. Rumor has it that either he or one of his entourage cut someone with a broken bottle as well, which is both a wild escalation *and* really low-class if true.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 11:15 AM   #2269
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Trump Tweets

Originally Posted by timhau View Post

He is, and he can’t spell “whine” properly.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 11:28 AM   #2270
lomiller
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...0SS22A20151103

Quote:
Trump accuses Fed of keeping rates low to help Obama
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...ate-1474946709
Quote:
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump redoubled his attack on the Federal Reserve and its chairwoman, Janet Yellen, accusing the central bank of “doing political things” by keeping interest rates low.
https://www.businessinsider.com/we-a...-yellen-2016-9
Quote:
Additionally, Trump said that because of record low interest rates from the Fed, the country's economy is "in a big, fat, ugly bubble," with debt increasing while the "only thing that looks good is the stock market."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...came-president

Quote:
“I do like a low-interest-rate policy, I must be honest with you,” Trump told the Wall Street Journal in April, less than three months after taking office.
A big reason why countries end up in the position Venezuela is in right now is politicians take away the independence of the Central bank and use monetary policy for political purposes, just like Trump has been attempting for the last 5 years.
Old 26th July 2019, 11:58 AM   #2271
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Oh, I'll join you in calling him that.

What I don't understand is that if the bills presented are bipartisan, why aren't his colleagues ousting him? Why the hell does he have this sort of blocking power in the senate?
The power to set the schedule is one of the biggest weapons that he has in the Senate, first and foremost. The unscrupulous nature of much of the current Republican Party politics and politicians also gives him a bunch of leverage, as well. Further, remember, the Republican Senators under McConnell are part of the long-term strategy of "Don't let the Democrats do anything if we can help it." Otherwise referred to as "The Party of NO!"
Old 26th July 2019, 12:32 PM   #2272
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The WTO is BROKEN when the world’s RICHEST countries claim to be developing countries to avoid WTO rules and get special treatment. NO more!!! Today I directed the U.S. Trade Representative to take action so that countries stop CHEATING the system at the expense of the USA!
Old 26th July 2019, 01:39 PM   #2273
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think Trump will go full scale autarchy (The US should isolate it's economy completely from the rest of the world) before he is done.
OF course that is a batcrap crazy idea, but then Trump is pretty bat crap crazy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 01:41 PM   #2274
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...0SS22A20151103

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...ate-1474946709

https://www.businessinsider.com/we-a...-yellen-2016-9

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...came-president

A big reason why countries end up in the position Venezuela is in right now is politicians take away the independence of the Central bank and use monetary policy for political purposes, just like Trump has been attempting for the last 5 years.
Trump is going to wreck the economy..question is how long will he take.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 01:42 PM   #2275
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I keep on telling you people..this is not going to end peacefully.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th July 2019, 01:43 PM   #2276
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trump is going to wreck the economy..question is how long will he take.
By then, it will be the Democrats fault.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 02:32 PM   #2277
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like the USA is going to bomb out of the WTO.

See how well that works out!

I am worried it will give Brexiters ideas.
Old 26th July 2019, 02:44 PM   #2278
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Democrats Raise Impeaching Trump in Suit for Mueller's Evidence

Quote:
Raising the prospect of impeaching President Donald Trump, House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler said his panel will ask a federal court Friday to force release of grand jury information from Robert Mueller's investigation.

"We are continuing investigations of the president's malfeasances," Nadler told reporters. "We will consider what we have to consider -- including whether to recommend articles of impeachment to the House."
So, we now have an "official" impeachment inquiry under way, with no need for a House vote.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 02:58 PM   #2279
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Can you imagine the drunken Tweets if he wasn't?
Old 26th July 2019, 03:10 PM   #2280
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Can you imagine the drunken Tweets if he wasn't?
Well it wouldn't remove his inhibitions.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics