ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 17th August 2019, 09:05 AM   #3441
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'd expect most mass-shooters to think of themselves as too butch to use a pink gun, too.
Bigot. I'm sure that many shooters are comfortable with their sexuality.

I mean, maybe not the incels. But others, surely.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 09:07 AM   #3442
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Maybe show him this and get him to buy Mexico:

https://i.redd.it/0hp3z4gitfn21.gif
Naah, Mexico has all those brown murderers and rapists. Greenland is up North, so it's a white folks country.
Old 17th August 2019, 10:02 AM   #3443
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I had to check twice to be sure this wasn't from The Onion.
...I did, too. Then I also saw that it was Marion and it became much more believable. Marion's been on the forefront when it comes to both deregulating gun sales and literally protecting those who seriously wound or kill others with guns from consequences.

By the way, these were the lobbyist's actual words:

I don't know? How do you tell a 10-year-old little girl that one of her parents or siblings got blown away by some scumbag mass shooter armed with a Ruger 10/22?
There's also the questions... What kind of jackass would give a gift like that to a ten year old girl? How would it be legal for the 10-year old to now own a rifle that they're probably not legally allowed to own until they're 18?

Oh. Here's a bit of random news.

A major American steelmaker has lost 70% of its market value since Trump slapped steep tariffs on the metal last year

US Steel's not doing so well... because of Trump's trade war? I guess we can take even that minor positive about Trump's performance off the table now.

After ‘fake farmer’ claim, Devin Nunes reports he owns small farm that earns no income

Potentially one that he just bought, for that matter. I'm going with "fake farmer" being quite valid.
Old 17th August 2019, 10:22 AM   #3444
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Naah, Mexico has all those brown murderers and rapists. Greenland is up North, so it's a white folks country.
Greenlanders are not white, I hate to tell Trump. They're Inuit, i.e. Native Americans, i.e. "Indians", and we all know how Trump feels about Indians.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 10:33 AM   #3445
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Shell workers had to attend Trump's speech or be sent home with no pay

Quote:
The choice for thousands of union workers at Royal Dutch Shell’s petrochemical plant in Beaver County was clear Tuesday: Either stand in a giant hall waiting for President Donald Trump to speak or take the day off with no pay.

“Your attendance is not mandatory,” said the rules that one contractor relayed to employees, summarizing points from a memo that Shell sent to union leaders a day ahead of the visit to the $6 billion construction site. But only those who showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their ID cards, and prepared to stand for hours — through lunch but without lunch — would be paid.

“NO SCAN, NO PAY,” a supervisor for that contractor wrote.

That company and scores of other contractors on site and their labor employees all have their own contracts with Shell. Several said the contracts stipulate that to get paid, workers must be onsite.

Those who decided not to come to the site for the event would have an excused but non-paid absence, the company said, and would not qualify for overtime pay on Friday.

Shell spokesman Ray Fisher explained that the workers onsite have a 56-hour workweek, with 16 hours of overtime built in. That means those workers who attended Mr. Trump’s speech and showed up for work Friday, meeting the overtime threshold, were being paid at a rate of time and a half, while those who didn’t go to hear the president were being paid the regular rate, despite the fact that both groups did not do work on the site Tuesday.
This is fascism.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 10:46 AM   #3446
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't understand why he wants to purchase Greenland instead of taking it by military invasion. It's like his head is screwed on upside down.
Old 17th August 2019, 10:48 AM   #3447
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't know? How do you tell a 10-year-old little girl that one of her parents or siblings got blown away by some scumbag mass shooter armed with a Ruger 10/22?
How do you tell a mother that while she was at work her 10 yr old was playing with her present and accidentally killed her best friend?
Old 17th August 2019, 11:08 AM   #3448
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Because they have no idea about indigenous peoples in the North? From Wiki:
Quote:
Approximately 89 percent of Greenland's population of 57,695 is Greenlandic Inuit, or 51,349 people as of 2012.[9]
Old 17th August 2019, 11:30 AM   #3449
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Oh that's easy, with thoughts and prayers, I mean there is just nothing else the USA could do....
Old 17th August 2019, 11:40 AM   #3450
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Trump campaign raises 60 million dollars in second quarter.

Got the blues again.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:44 AM   #3451
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
'kin hell

Further:

The Tuesday Trump speech was an official White House event -- not a speech sponsored by the reelection campaign. Trump told the audience at the plant Tuesday that they should oust their union leaders if they declined to support him.
"I'm going to speak to some of your union leaders to say, 'I hope you're going to support Trump.' Okay?" Trump said. "And if they don't, vote them the hell out of office because they're not doing their job. It's true. It's true. Vote them out of office."
Old 17th August 2019, 11:51 AM   #3452
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Major consideration is being given to naming ANTIFA an “ORGANIZATION OF TERROR.” Portland is being watched very closely. Hopefully the Mayor will be able to properly do his job!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 12:18 PM   #3453
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Major consideration is being given to naming ANTIFA an “ORGANIZATION OF TERROR.” Portland is being watched very closely. Hopefully the Mayor will be able to properly do his job!
If that happens I’ll sign right the **** up.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 12:52 PM   #3454
ArchSas
Thinker

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
There's also the questions... What kind of jackass would give a gift like that to a ten year old girl? How would it be legal for the 10-year old to now own a rifle that they're probably not legally allowed to own until they're 18?
I was a pretty active shooter way before the age of 10. Every time my dad "bought me" a gun, it was made clear that it wasn't really mine, because I was a kid. That is, functionally, it would have been purchased for me, but it was still kept in my dad's gun safe with the other guns, and the only time I could handle it was at the range and for cleaning. To me that seems like a pretty reasonable approach, as it encourages safe handling and storage. As for why someone would give a gift like that, if the kid is into shooting, why not? I personally don't like the weird "pink gun" culture that exists (mostly for the same reason I don't like the mallninja stuff, either; a gun should be a gun and treated as such, not a violent fashion accessory), but it's a valid hobby for kids to enjoy. Also, for reference, a Ruger 10/22 is a low-powered semi-automatic rifle that's one of the main choices out there for teaching children how to shoot (among other things), due to its low recoil, cheapness, and wide availability. It's not an assault weapon.

I did know some other kids whose parents let them keep guns in their room, and I've always thought that was incredibly irresponsible.

Last edited by ArchSas; 17th August 2019 at 12:55 PM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 12:52 PM   #3455
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
If that happens I’ll sign right the **** up.
You'll have to wait until they get organized enough to have a sign-up.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 01:04 PM   #3456
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
I was a pretty active shooter way before the age of 10. Every time my dad "bought me" a gun, it was made clear that it wasn't really mine, because I was a kid. That is, functionally, it would have been purchased for me, but it was still kept in my dad's gun safe with the other guns, and the only time I could handle it was at the range and for cleaning. To me that seems like a pretty reasonable approach, as it encourages safe handling and storage. As for why someone would give a gift like that, if the kid is into shooting, why not? I personally don't like the weird "pink gun" culture that exists (mostly for the same reason I don't like the mallninja stuff, either; a gun should be a gun and treated as such, not a violent fashion accessory), but it's a valid hobby for kids to enjoy. Also, for reference, a Ruger 10/22 is a low-powered semi-automatic rifle that's one of the main choices out there for teaching children how to shoot (among other things), due to its low recoil, cheapness, and wide availability. It's not an assault weapon.

I did know some other kids whose parents let them keep guns in their room, and I've always thought that was incredibly irresponsible.
You may be younger than me, but when I was growing up in the seventies, my father kept his guns in his closet, unlocked, and when that became full, a few were stored in my closet and under my bed. If memory serves, I knew where the ammo was, more or less. Might've taken me a little while to find it, but not long.

These were much different times. He used a gun safe later in his life, for fear of theft.

(Sorry for the off-topic contribution, just adding an anecdote. Don't know how common it was to keep guns unlocked in a family home at the time. Pretty common in Oklahoma and Texas, I'd wager.)
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 01:57 PM   #3457
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
These were much different times.
Back when America was great. Young guys didn't grab available guns and go blow away masses of people on any day of the week.

What the hell happened?
Old 17th August 2019, 02:01 PM   #3458
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Back when America was great. Young guys didn't grab available guns and go blow away masses of people on any day of the week.

What the hell happened?
Sinatra played Juarez.

No, wait, that ruined Mexico. Not sure what went wrong here. Thursday Night Football started too recently, right?

Got it. Changing tables in the men's room.
Old 17th August 2019, 02:53 PM   #3459
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Mod InfoThread closed for length. The discussion may be continued, and previous posts freely quoted, in Part 16 found here.
Also, I'm back, baby!
Posted By:Loss Leader

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 02:53 PM   #3460
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Mod InfoThread closed for length. The discussion may be continued, and previous posts freely quoted, in Part 16 found here.
Also, I'm back, baby!
Posted By:Loss Leader

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics