ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 1st July 2019, 05:46 AM   #321
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I totally misread "your lil buddy Kim" as "your buddy, Lil Kim" up there and wondered briefly what the heck is going on in the DMZ.
Dennis Rodman shrunk.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 06:16 AM   #322
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I totally misread "your lil buddy Kim" as "your buddy, Lil Kim" up there and wondered briefly what the heck is going on in the DMZ.
And Stephanie Grisham already regrets taking the job of Press Secretary:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/30/p...fle/index.html
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 06:20 AM   #323
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
And Stephanie Grisham already regrets taking the job of Press Secretary:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/30/p...fle/index.html
Silly girl. It's the men that should get into manly scuffles. Women in Trumpistan shall be meek and subservient.
Old 1st July 2019, 06:56 AM   #324
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

“Stocks Cap Best First Half Since 1997” @WSJ Our Country is doing great!

It keeps coming back to "Some people are making money. That's the only thing that should matter."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 09:50 AM   #325
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Let's see.

3) Did you do anything in South Korea besides use their toilets?
Sometimes they have squat toilets there. I'd pay to see him attempting to use one of those.
Old 1st July 2019, 10:13 AM   #326
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Ivanka at the G20.

As I watched her try to work the crowd, I got the idea that President Trump thinks Ivanka can run for political office some day. Am I way off base in my surmise?

I have a hard time imagining his base rallying behind a woman.

I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 10:34 AM   #327
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

At a South Korean US base, Trump just introduced Pompeo and Ivanka as "the Beauty and the Beast".

I guess in his own way, Pompeo is handsome.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 10:37 AM   #328
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I (theoretically) have no problem with the adult child of a sitting President being given some absolutely symbolic role. If Ivanka Trump wants to fly around the world and shake hands and smile in photo-ops, I can't really muster up a lot of outrage at that.

She officially being on the Cabinet and doing anything official or carrying the weight of the "official message of the United States" behind it is a whole other thing.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 10:49 AM   #329
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Congratulations to legislators in New Jersey for not passing taxes that would have driven large numbers of high end taxpayers out of the state. Many were planning to leave, & will now be staying. New York & others should start changing their thought process on taxes, fast!

Thank you to President Moon of South Korea for hosting the American Delegation and me immediately following the very successful G-20 in Japan. While there, it was great to call on Chairman Kim of North Korea to have our very well covered meeting. Good things can happen for all!

Congratulations to Prime Minister Abe of Japan for hosting such a fantastic and well run G-20. There wasn’t a thing that was missing or a mistake that was made. PERFECT! The people of Japan must be very proud of their Prime Minister.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 10:51 AM   #330
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

It is very hard and expensive to live in New York. Governor Andrew Cuomo uses his Attorney General as a bludgeoning tool for his own purposes. They sue on everything, always in search of a crime. I even got sued on a Foundation which took Zero rent & expenses & gave away...

....more money than it had. Going on for years, originally brought by Crooked Hillary’s Campaign Chair, A.G. Eric Schneiderman, until forced to resign for abuse against women. They never even looked at the disgusting Clinton Foundation. Now Cuomo’s A.G. is harassing all of my....

....New York businesses in search of anything at all they can find to make me look as bad as possible. So, on top of ridiculously high taxes, my children and companies are spending a fortune on lawyers. No wonder people and businesses are fleeing New York in record numbers!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 10:51 AM   #331
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
She officially being on the Cabinet and doing anything official or carrying the weight of the "official message of the United States" behind it is a whole other thing.
And that whole other thing is called nepotism.

Ivanka is no Robert Kennedy.
Old 1st July 2019, 10:53 AM   #332
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Ivanka is no Robert Kennedy.
Hell as much as I admired him I didn't like Robert Kennedy being Attorney General.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 10:59 AM   #333
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

That’s right, The Trump Foundation gave away 100% plus, with Zero rent or expenses charged, and has been being sued by Cuomo and New York State for years - another part of the political Witch Hunt. Just in case anyone is interested - Clinton Foundation never even looked at!
Old 1st July 2019, 11:01 AM   #334
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Hell as much as I admired him I didn't like Robert Kennedy being Attorney General.
But he was qualified for the position.
Old 1st July 2019, 11:04 AM   #335
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
But he was qualified for the position.
Yeah but when you look out at the entire scope of the United States and by some amazing coincidence the most qualified person for one of the top... I dunno 5, 10 maybe, jobs in the entire country just happens to be your brother... that's off.

It's not just nepotism, I don't like "Dynasties." We shouldn't have Royal Families in America.

There's hundreds of millions of people in the United States. We shouldn't be going back to Kennedy, Bush, Clinton, Roosevelt, etc wells more then once.

As to Ivanka, I mean she's "Adviser to the President" which just doesn't have any qualifications because it's a made up nonsense position.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 1st July 2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 1st July 2019, 12:27 PM   #336
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump has requested tanks or IFVs on the Mall during his 4th of July campaign rally, er ... celebration.

Quote:
President Donald Trump wants to put armored vehicles on the National Mall for his Fourth of July extravaganza, the Washington Post reported Monday, citing people briefed on the plans for the event.

The president has reportedly requested that armored warfighting vehicles be set up in the nation's capital as props for his "A Salute to America" event. The vehicles being considered for the holiday blowout include M1 Abrams tanks and Bradley infantry fighting vehicles.

He really wants that military parade. Maybe he thinks he can slowly build up to it.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 12:39 PM   #337
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
You both say things that could be taken as warnings about complacency. You're maybe not quite as bullish on Trump as TA. Am I reading your position correctly?
I'd agree a recession would potentially cost Trump the election, but I think the chances of that happening are close enough to zero to not bother mentioning.
Old 1st July 2019, 01:55 PM   #338
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Administration Reportedly Will Strip Deportation Protection for Families of Active-Duty Troops

Quote:
The Trump administration is looking to strip undocumented family members of active-duty service members of protection from deportation as soon as next month, NPR reports. Attorneys for military families with an undocumented relative say their clients have been told the “parole in place” program is “being terminated,” prompting them to scramble to apply for its protections before it comes to an end. Parole in place is designed to offer temporary relief from deportation for military families where a spouse or loved one came to the country illegally—in order to allow troops to serve without fear that their families could be sent home while the service member is deployed.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-military.html
Old 1st July 2019, 02:02 PM   #339
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Sometimes they have squat toilets there. I'd pay to see him attempting to use one of those.
Thanks for that image. Now I have to go scrub my brain with soap and a brush.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 02:10 PM   #340
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Administration Reportedly Will Strip Deportation Protection for Families of Active-Duty Troops

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-military.html
It's a morale-building thing for the troops. Trump LURVES the "great" military people of the USA...what are they called again? Margarines? Solders? Failers? His airline plane-drivers?
Old 1st July 2019, 02:12 PM   #341
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Congratulations to legislators in New Jersey for not passing taxes that would have driven large numbers of high end taxpayers out of the state. Many were planning to leave, & will now be staying. New York & others should start changing their thought process on taxes, fast!

Thank you to President Moon of South Korea for hosting the American Delegation and me immediately following the very successful G-20 in Japan. While there, it was great to call on Chairman Kim of North Korea to have our very well covered meeting. Good things can happen for all!
Congratulations to Prime Minister Abe of Japan for hosting such a fantastic and well run G-20. There wasn’t a thing that was missing or a mistake that was made. PERFECT! The people of Japan must be very proud of their Prime Minister.
He didn't write that. WAY too correct, and sentences too long. Sounds dictated and pre-checked by an aide. His new baby-Huckers?
Old 1st July 2019, 02:19 PM   #342
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

It is very hard and expensive to live in New York. Governor Andrew Cuomo uses his Attorney General as a bludgeoning tool for his own purposes. They sue on everything, always in search of a crime. I even got sued on a Foundation which took Zero rent & expenses & gave away...

....more money than it had. Going on for years, originally brought by Crooked Hillary’s Campaign Chair, A.G. Eric Schneiderman, until forced to resign for abuse against women. They never even looked at the disgusting Clinton Foundation. Now Cuomo’s A.G. is harassing all of my....

....New York businesses in search of anything at all they can find to make me look as bad as possible. So, on top of ridiculously high taxes, my children and companies are spending a fortune on lawyers. No wonder people and businesses are fleeing New York in record numbers!
Almost CERTAINLY not Trump typing. Compound sentences with reasonable punctuation. Again, looks like baby-Huckers proof-read this.

Isn't this a straight-out admission that he is actually still running businesses in New York while he is still president? Doesn't that contravene the Hatch Act? Someone?

Plus a great big heaping helping of whataboutism, nasty name-calling, and attempted reruns of 2016.

Looks like the swamp got drained...right into the White House.
Old 1st July 2019, 03:50 PM   #343
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I am excited to announce that @MercedesSchlapp will soon be joining our Campaign. She feels so strongly about our Country & its future. We are setting records in so many ways, & we will keep it going. Mercedes has done a fantastic job within the Administration & I am so thankful!
Old 1st July 2019, 04:51 PM   #344
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

I am excited to announce that @MercedesSchlapp will soon be joining our Campaign. She feels so strongly about our Country & its future. We are setting records in so many ways, & we will keep it going. Mercedes has done a fantastic job within the Administration & I am so thankful!
...what "records" are these?? For what? Does Guinness know about this? Better yet, what planet is he on?
Old 1st July 2019, 04:55 PM   #345
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Quote:
White House Director of Strategic Communications Mercedes Schlapp abruptly resigned Monday on the first full day Stephanie Grisham worked as White House press secretary in Washington.

Sources close to the White House told the Washington Examiner last month that Grisham had plans to fire Schlapp if she had the opportunity, though the precise nature of Schlapp's departure was unclear.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...phanie-grisham

Denied, of course. Which means it's true.
Old 1st July 2019, 05:42 PM   #346
Distracted1
Illuminator

Yeah but when you look out at the entire scope of the United States and by some amazing coincidence the most qualified person for one of the top... I dunno 5, 10 maybe, jobs in the entire country just happens to be your brother... that's off.

It's not just nepotism, I don't like "Dynasties." We shouldn't have Royal Families in America.

There's hundreds of millions of people in the United States. We shouldn't be going back to Kennedy, Bush, Clinton, Roosevelt, etc wells more then once.

As to Ivanka, I mean she's "Adviser to the President" which just doesn't have any qualifications because it's a made up nonsense position.
I agree, and would support seeing it codified into law.
Old 1st July 2019, 05:49 PM   #347
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump Tweets
So, on top of ridiculously high taxes, my children and companies are spending a fortune on lawyers. No wonder people and businesses are fleeing New York in record numbers!
I'd love to see the evidence of those high taxes. Of course the state may have ways that the IRS doesn't to raise revenue, e.g., property taxes.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 05:50 PM   #348
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Trump has requested tanks or IFVs on the Mall during his 4th of July campaign rally, er ... celebration.

Trump apparently thinks that there are tanks sitting around on every military base and that the Army can simply drive a few from one of the bases near DC to the Lincoln Memorial.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 05:53 PM   #349
Minoosh
Philosopher

What seems odd is that Schlapp was joining the campaign, while Grisham works for the White House. I would think even Trump would have enough sense to keep those two operations separate.

Last edited by Minoosh; 1st July 2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: sp; and how does the subjunctive work again?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 05:58 PM   #350
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Trump apparently thinks that there are tanks sitting around on every military base and that the Army can simply drive a few from one of the bases near DC to the Lincoln Memorial.
How can they possibly run a coup with that level of unpreparedness?
Old 1st July 2019, 06:29 PM   #351
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

He really wants that military parade. Maybe he thinks he can slowly build up to it.
Presumably with full ammo load-outs, in case Antifa tries to protest.
Old 1st July 2019, 06:31 PM   #352
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump's hoping for a chance to drive a tank just like he got to drive a big, red fire engine!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 07:23 PM   #353
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump's hoping for a chance to drive a tank just like he got to drive a big, red fire engine!
May I very slightly adjust that with some punctuation?

Trump's hoping for a chance to "drive" a tank just like he got to "drive" a big, red fire engine!
Old 1st July 2019, 07:29 PM   #354
Stacyhs
Philosopher

May I very slightly adjust that with some punctuation?

Trump's hoping for a chance to "drive" a tank just like he got to "drive" a big, red fire engine!
I'd love a Dukakis driving a tank moment for Trump.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 07:34 PM   #355
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I'd love a Dukakis driving a tank moment for Trump.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ac19b99af9.jpg
I rather suspect Trump would not fit in the hatch. That's after he won't be able to climb up to the hatch. So the "fun" part would be watching him being lowered by a crane only to get stuck like a cork.

Ain't gonna happen.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:36 PM   #356
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I rather suspect Trump would not fit in the hatch. That's after he won't be able to climb up to the hatch. So the "fun" part would be watching him being lowered by a crane only to get stuck like a cork.

Ain't gonna happen.
He wouldn't mess up his coiffure with a helmet.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:42 PM   #357
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

He wouldn't mess up his coiffure with a helmet.
Who would know?

Old 1st July 2019, 08:29 PM   #358
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Would anyone be surprised if I mentioned that the Trump Organization is trying to develop a resort in Indonesia using a construction company partly owned by the South Korean government?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...rnment-1390736

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 10:54 PM   #359
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

If this weren’t BS of the first water, I’d be laughing my ass off. How many dozens of times have Trump’s companies told the little guy, “sure you can try to sue me to get me to pay the agreed-upon price, but you’ll be spending a fortune on lawyers”? What beautiful karma if President Trump were spending money on lawyers to avoid getting f’ed over.
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:05 AM   #360
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Would anyone be surprised if I mentioned that the Trump Organization is trying to develop a resort in Indonesia using a construction company partly owned by the South Korean government?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...rnment-1390736
In answer to your question: Nope.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics