ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Ilhan Omar , immigration issues , racism incidents , racism issues , Trump controversies

Old 18th July 2019, 04:43 PM   #121
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if he'll claim that he thought the crowd was chanting something else.

"'Send her back!'? I thought they were saying 'Men in Black!' which was a movie I really liked by the way.
Old 18th July 2019, 05:35 PM   #122
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
...'Men in Black!' which was a movie I really liked by the way.
"Which proves I'm not racist"
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 05:40 PM   #123
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Surely you have heard about it. I find it so disturbing I don't even want to link to youtube videos of it. Trump decided to go after Congresswoman Ilhan Omar and his crowd, ever lowering themselves to new levels of deplorable, started chanting "Send her back! SEND HER BACK!..."

And here we now are. They want to deport legal immigrants. Because it was never about immigrants being legal or illegal. It was about them being immigrants that are not white.

How is the Republican party going to spin this? Or do they even try? Maybe they just double down on this, clearly that is where the party is headed, and just burn some crosses at the next rally.
Just to be clear, would you consider it OK if people called for the deportation of a white legal immigrant? Or would that be just as bad?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 05:47 PM   #124
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Interesting prediction, here. I think it's likely true. We'll see.
Quote:
This is what will happen: Trump's cultists will begin chanting "Send her back! Send her back!" at his next rally. He'll lean back and crack that goofy "I'm being naughty now!" grin and say "No, no - no, no - they say you're not supposed to say that anymore. It's not PC." [Cheers]
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 05:51 PM   #125
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Not true. If a person lied on their application, then their citizenship can be voided. It happened to a few nazis if I recall correctly.
To be sure, that isn't the deportation of a U.S. citizen. It was the revocation of citizenship followed by deportation of a former citizen.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 05:55 PM   #126
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Just to be clear, would you consider it OK if people called for the deportation of a white legal immigrant? Or would that be just as bad?
Just as bad under the same circumstances.

What Trump is calling for is just as wrong as it would be if the target of his xenophobia was Chris van Holland (Pakistan), Michael Bennet (India) David Rouzer (Germany) or Dan Crenshaw (Scotland).

Trump doesn't object to her because she was born in another country, he objects because of her brown skin and her religion - that makes him a bigot, a racist and a xenophobe.

But "just to be clear", do you support the call to send her back?

Do you support sending brown US citizens not born in the US back to the country where they were born?

Last edited by smartcooky; 18th July 2019 at 06:05 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 05:57 PM   #127
Stacyhs
Philosopher

That POTUS (Piece Of Totally Useless ****) was asked directly what he would say to his audience regarding the chant today. Did he say he'd stop them? NO. Did he condemn it? NO. What did he do? He launches into his attack on the 4 congresswomen again.

For those handful still trying to defend this cretin, JUST. STOP. IT. There IS no defense.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 06:01 PM   #128
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Ix-nay oll-tray eeding-fay
Old 18th July 2019, 06:11 PM   #129
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Some small bit of respite from all the negativity around this,

Ilhan Omar arrived to chants of "welcome home" in Minnesota:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Her statements:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #130
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

What Trump is calling for is just as wrong as it would be if the target of his xenophobia was Chris van Holland (Pakistan), Michael Bennet (India) David Rouzer (Germany) or Dan Crenshaw (Scotland).
We're in agreement.

Quote:
Trump doesn't object to her because she was born in another country, he objects because of her brown skin and her religion - that makes him a bigot, a racist and a xenophobe.
I think you're reading too much into his motives. Trump is nasty to all his critics, regardless of race. He's a pretty equal-opportunity hater.

Quote:
But "just to be clear", do you support the call to send her back?
Nope. I think that's bad. Just like it was bad when Sen. Nadler essentially threatened to get Sebastian Gorka deported.

Quote:
Do you support sending brown US citizens not born in the US back to the country where they were born?
Absent some actual deportable offense such as immigration fraud (as in the case of Rasmea Odeh, I was all in favor of deporting that terrorist), I'm against deporting any US citizen, regardless of skin color.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 07:23 PM   #131
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

We're in agreement.

I think you're reading too much into his motives. Trump is nasty to all his critics, regardless of race. He's a pretty equal-opportunity hater.

Nope. I think that's bad. Just like it was bad when Sen. Nadler essentially threatened to get Sebastian Gorka deported.

Absent some actual deportable offense such as immigration fraud (as in the case of Rasmea Odeh, I was all in favor of deporting that terrorist), I'm against deporting any US citizen, regardless of skin color.
Happy to hear that
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 07:27 PM   #132
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

"He said racist things because he's hateful, not because he's racist," is a really interesting defense.
Old 18th July 2019, 07:31 PM   #133
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
"He said racist things because he's hateful, not because he's racist," is a really interesting defense.
Yeah. I'm not a big fan of it myself.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 07:31 PM   #134
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

It's also a ******* lie. He's a hateful, stupid racist. Some people just love racists enough to hate when they're called exactly what they are...and some of those people love trolling this forum.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 07:49 PM   #135
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Itís not really intended as a defense, only a clarification.
Old 18th July 2019, 08:14 PM   #136
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I suspect it's easier to chant, "Send them home" with your buddies than it is to question your social influences, stop drinking and leave the NRA.
Old 18th July 2019, 08:20 PM   #137
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You know damn well this is racism yet you post this imaginary hypothesis.

Imaginary hypotheses don't change reality.
Old 18th July 2019, 08:37 PM   #138
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Anyone comfortable with calling Trump hateful but who balks at calling him racist is clinging to that bizarre distinction for reasons more rooted in self-delusion and denial than reality.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 09:08 PM   #139
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Anyone comfortable with calling Trump hateful but who balks at calling him racist is clinging to that bizarre distinction for reasons more rooted in self-delusion and denial than reality.
It is in reality. Racism is tied to a belief. Every comment needs to be evaluated if that belief can be discerned. Without a test using a similar, white immigrant, it is hard to discern.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 09:17 PM   #140
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If we are to believe Trump's own words and those of his biographers (I know, how could that be evidence), the President believes that he is genetically better than anyone he has ever met.
That is racist, even if the race is "everyone not a Trump".
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 09:18 PM   #141
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is in reality. Racism is tied to a belief. Every comment needs to be evaluated if that belief can be discerned. Without a test using a similar, white immigrant, it is hard to discern.
No, thatís incorrect.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 09:20 PM   #142
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
what, you mean all the other Democrats, news pundits, actors, etc. etc. who said something bad about Trump? How many of those have been told by Trump to "go back to where they came from"?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 09:26 PM   #143
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

You know damn well this is racism yet you post this imaginary hypothesis.

Imaginary hypotheses don't change reality.
Itís not imaginary, it already happened.
Old 18th July 2019, 10:08 PM   #144
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

If Trump just called them whatever juvenile improvement on "doo-doo heads" he comes up with on a whim, that'd be one thing.

But time after time when it comes to women or minorities, he uses everything from modern dog whistles to incitement narratives from an era we'd thought was behind us.

ETA: His track from just liberals in general and even a few previous brushes with the major figures involved followed almost precisely about 48 hours behind the same focus of attention of the 'alt-right' messaging. Wading right into the Pelosi-Progressives fracas, playing up the faux virtue signalling on both sides, then concentrated "othering" of the four reps (in the aftermath of their high-profile exposure of conditions in detention facilities), and then zeroing in on Omar specifically with all the nasty, salacious stuff about marrying her brother and immigration fraud and secretly aiding terrorists everywhere, etc.

Whether its his surfing or twitter scrolling or someone printing it out for him to read, he's regurgitating the script of white nationalists on this one. Whether he knows it and does it or is so hopelessly hate-filled it doesn't strike him as wrong, he's racist. Through and through.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 18th July 2019 at 10:17 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 12:20 AM   #145
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Sounds a lot like SS-Obergruppenfuhrer Miller.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 12:24 AM   #146
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Who will Democrats blame next time when they lose in 2020?
Stop

Defending

Trump

It's inexcusable for an American president.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 01:28 AM   #147
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Surely you have heard about it. I find it so disturbing I don't even want to link to youtube videos of it. Trump decided to go after Congresswoman Ilhan Omar and his crowd, ever lowering themselves to new levels of deplorable, started chanting "Send her back! SEND HER BACK!..."

And here we now are. They want to deport legal immigrants. Because it was never about immigrants being legal or illegal. It was about them being immigrants that are not white.

How is the Republican party going to spin this? Or do they even try? Maybe they just double down on this, clearly that is where the party is headed, and just burn some crosses at the next rally.
Of course their kind will defend it. Trump supporters are something vile, base and un-American. You should no by now that there's no depth to which magascum won't sink. They're not like us.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:43 AM   #148
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Evangelicals are swing voters?
No, they are solidly in the anti America camp now.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:44 AM   #149
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Who will Democrats blame next time when they lose in 2020?
The same people as last time, the stupid dumb ***** in the rust belt states.
Old 19th July 2019, 02:24 AM   #150
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I saw tonight that Fox News spent a lot of time questioning Omar's marriage history.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 02:31 AM   #151
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I saw tonight that Fox News spent a lot of time questioning Omar's marriage history.
What aspects ?

Were they promoting the lie that she married her brother to get him citizenship ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 02:43 AM   #152
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It’s not imaginary, it already happened.
You're not paying attention.
Originally Posted by Zig
Who cares if it happened or didn't happen? Your question and this incident, if it happened, has no relevance what-so-ever in this discussion.

Trump has acted with one of his his habitual attacks against women and brown people.

PERIOD.

It wouldn't matter one iota if Trump also acted wrongly against a white male in similar circumstances if that is what you are referring to. That does not make Trump suddenly fair and balanced.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th July 2019 at 02:44 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 02:49 AM   #153
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

He is paying attention. He’s just trolling you. It’s a more subtle form of Bob-ing.

Don’t feed the troll.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:02 AM   #154
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Who cares if it happened or didn't happen?
You do. If you didnít, you wouldnít have bothered to try to dismiss in by falsely claiming it didnít.

Quote:
Your question and this incident, if it happened, has no relevance what-so-ever in this discussion.
Itís got lots of relevance. What is the standard by which you object to Trumpís behavior? If you only object because his target is non-white, then you are racist.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:09 AM   #155
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Itís got lots of relevance. What is the standard by which you object to Trumpís behavior? If you only object because his target is non-white, then you are racist.
rubbish.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:30 AM   #156
Parsman
Muse

You do. If you didnít, you wouldnít have bothered to try to dismiss in by falsely claiming it didnít.

I'm pretty sure we are objecting because it would be illegal and unconstitutional. The added racism from the President is just your usual Trumpian bonus these days.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:40 AM   #157
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
I'm pretty sure we are objecting because it would be illegal and unconstitutional.
It's not illegal or unconstitutional to tell someone to leave (or for them to actually leave), or even to say they should be deported.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:41 AM   #158
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It’s got lots of relevance. What is the standard by which you object to Trump’s behavior? If you only object because his target is non-white, then you are racist.
When Trump starts telling white male immigrant Congressmen to "go home", and no one objects, then you might have a case.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:54 AM   #159
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
rubbish.
Told ya. trolling.

Here’s Zig’s pattern:
  1. Question a common-ground assumption of the topic.
  2. Gradually shift the topic to an inane discussion of the assumption.
  3. Make ridiculous claim based on countering the assumption.
  4. Refuse to support the claim until “later”.
  5. Disappear from conversation, maybe never to return OR after so much time people might have forgotten the absurd claim.
  6. Never discuss the claim again.

Just watch.

Better yet, don’t feed the troll.

Last edited by Upchurch; 19th July 2019 at 04:56 AM.
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:18 AM   #160
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
When Trump starts telling white male immigrant Congressmen to "go home", and no one objects, then you might have a case.
Lots of people ignored it when a CNN reporter told Sebastian Gorka to "go home".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics